Thor's box office competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still A ThorFan

Sidekick
Reaction score
May 13th Priest comes out, that's nothing to worry about, Thor will still be in first place, but on the 20th POTC comes out which will bump Thor to 2nd.

June 3rd X Men first class comes out, I don't think that will bother POTC at all, and maybe Thor might still be in 2nd place with X-Men coming in at 3rd.

I understand Iron Man 2 made over one hundred million in its opening weekend. I wonder how Thor is going to do.

If any Marvel film is going to have a problem its Captain America. Already there is a negative buzz about it because of Joe Johnson and some of the set pics, I mean from what I've read on message boards and just talking with other fans, on top of the fact that stupid Transformers 3, Harry Potter, and Cowboys and Aliens comes out that month.

TF: 7/1
HP: 7/15
CA: 7/22
CBA: 7/29

They are milking the Pirates franchise to death. Its a dead horse.

It may be a big box office hit, but so was X3. They just need to stop.

If the marketing is done well I think Thor can be better than most think.

Yeah i see Thor having a two big weekends at number 1 at the box office. Even tho POTC will take the top spot it still will bring more movie fans to see Thor as well.

I honestly think this movie is gonna do great, regardless of the competition.

I don't expect it to do Iron man 2 $$, but I think it'll do well. As long as both Thor and captain america get pretty good buzz and bank, and successfully lay out the building blocks for the avengers, I'll be happy :woot:

I honestly think this movie is gonna do great, regardless of the competition.

It would be great if it could pull in Harry Potter or LOTR-type money because of it's "fantastical" elements

I still dont know how it can work.

I think the first trailer isnt epic enough to create a big impression on the general audience.

I think the boxoffice will be decent, at the very least.

Preist looks kewl but the hard R rating isn't going to do it any favors at the box ofice.

Pirates may suffer from the bad taste left by the 3rd movie.

Not sure how it will do but no one mentioned Fast 5, which has a pretty ripping cast...but the trailer looked ridiculous...so I can't see it being comp for Thor. Iit comes out just before THor.

If Marvel release some cool poses from Thor, the young audience can increase easily.

I hope to see some great full body pics, like the Ironman ones, or even better.

I still dont know how it can work.

I think the first trailer isnt epic enough to create a big impression on the general audience.

I think the boxoffice will be decent, at the very least.

It looked epic enough to me

I'm sorry but Thor just doesn't feel quite right, I don't get the impression at all that he is massivly powerful. Thor is supposed to be able to not only take on Superman but possibly defeat him. I don't expect any high box office. I love Thor but I think Marvel dropped the ball on the creative team. You can't just throw a Thor film on screen and follow the same standard paint by numbers like with other superhero films. Thor is just one of those comic characters where too much can go wrong easily. The same with Fantastic Four. I don't
see Thor making past a 100 million domestically and I'm really pushing it if it makes it to
150 million.

The priest trailer has me more interested then Thor.

I think Thor would've been better served if they introduced him in the Avengers movie first and then give him a solo flick. I understand introduction is needed though. Thor isn't very popular outside the comic world. I wanna add Captain America to the mix but in my opinion he's a little more sellable to the mainstream then Thor. Cap too should've been introduced first in an Avengers flick, then give him a solo film. Time will tell who's right in the end. I think Cap will out do Thor at the box office.

Thor isn't as popular outside the comic world because no one ever does anything with him outside the comic world. I'm sure not a lot of people saw Blade succeeding way more as a movie star than he ever did as a comic character, either.

Preist...another futuristic Vampire movie...ungghhhh the trailer for Ultraviolet looked cool too...

Bottom line is it is an R rated movie opening in early May....

Thor will be number 1 two weeks in a row.

Preist...another futuristic Vampire movie...ungghhhh the trailer for Ultraviolet looked cool too...

Bottom line is it is an R rated movie opening in early May....

Thor will be number 1 two weeks in a row.

Well reread my posts, I never said that Priest would beat Thor, I just said that the Priest trailer looks more interesting to me than Thor. I don't really see Priest performing very well at the box office either. I'd give it 70 mil tops, with 20 million opening weekend.

Thor isn't as popular outside the comic world because no one ever does anything with him outside the comic world. I'm sure not a lot of people saw Blade succeeding way more as a movie star than he ever did as a comic character, either.

All very true, which is why Thor will more then likely do Blade like numbers at the box office. I like Thor, but you really get one shot to present the non popular comic characters to the mainstream on the big screen and make it a success. I think it was done well with Iron Man but Thor looks to be not quite right. I'm sorry to be a lil negative but I do not see Thor making 300 million. 200 million isn't gonna happen. If Thor can get to 150 domestically I'd be surprised. I'm Already being too generous with my estimate of 120 mil tops. I really hope in this case I'm made to eat crow and Thor knocks the ball outta of the park but I just have this feeling of mediocrity in my gut.

Last edited:
All very true, which is why Thor will more then likely do Blade like numbers at the box office. I like Thor, but you really get one shot to present the non popular comic characters to the mainstream on the big screen and make it a success. I think it was done well with Iron Man but Thor looks to be not quite right.

Thor will do "Blade-like" numbers? Seriously?

You have to take into account that Thor will recieve MUCH more promo than Blade, plus Thor is a good deal more well known than Blade (Norse Myths). Besides, Blade's movies actually performed very well at the box, they often grossed nearly "triple" their budgets

The Marvel marketing plan can create a great hype on the general audience.

If they release a more epic trailer, use some cool promotional photos everywhere (on the streets, theathres, magazines...) and some great tv spots... Thor will have a great first week.

Meh. Looks like Blade meets Resident Evil.

And if Priest is going to compete with ANY of the other summer blockbusters, they better work on that piss-poor cgi, lol...

to ME priest looks like Blade meets Resident Evil IN Too Human.
I'm not worried really. I'm sure Thor will do great.

Thor will do "Blade-like" numbers? Seriously?

You have to take into account that Thor will recieve MUCH more promo than Blade, plus Thor is a good deal more well known than Blade (Norse Myths). Besides, Blade's movies actually performed very well at the box, they often grossed nearly "triple" their budgets

We'll see.

I have hope for Thor. The CGI looked amazing in the teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"