• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Time To Vote

Hurm...

Superhero
Reaction score
It's time to vote. SSM Season 1 Vs. 90's TAS Season 1. Few thought that SSM would even compete with the 90's show before it came out, boy have opinions changed (including mine). So now it's time to choose. Which did you think was better plotted, dramatic, and overall most enjoyable, nostalgia aside.

CHOOSE! The 90's show!

spiderman%2090s.jpg

Or

The Spectacular Spider-Man!

spec%20spiderman.jpg

CHOOSE NOW!

Well with characters, story, and the action i got to say SSM season 1 was much better then SM: TAS. Now i did enjoy TAS alot when i was a kid when it first aired but we know with all the censoring it had and its terrible reuse of scenes over and over again and all that it went downhill pretty fast.

Both are great, but I'm really going to have to say TSSM. It was jsut overall better and stayed even more true to the comics. It also had less censoring than TAS. :up:

SSM all the way... tell me there's something better...

I really liked the 90's show when i was younger but i gotta say TSSM is better

Spectacular Spider-Man all the way.

A well written version of Venom. A real Sinister Six, not Insidious Six, led by Doc Ock, not Kingpin. A first class supporting cast. Fights with punches being thrown. A terrific Goblin saga.

I could go on and on....

A terrific Goblin saga.

You had me until this.

Looking back on this season, this arc became the most disappointing. There's no excuse for the Green Goblin's story to be stuffed in the middle between a Tombstone plot and the Symbiote arc. Compared to Norman's psychological manipulations in the original 90s series, this was incredibly weak. I mean, are we really meant to believe, at this point, that Harry was the first Green Goblin? Really?

And by the end of this season, once Peter acquired the symbiote, the Green Goblin plot became a complete afterthought. And, quite frankly, that should NEVER happen.

You had me until this.

Looking back on this season, this arc became the most disappointing. There's no excuse for the Green Goblin's story to be stuffed in the middle between a Tombstone plot and the Symbiote arc. Compared to Norman's psychological manipulations in the original 90s series, this was incredibly weak. I mean, are we really meant to believe, at this point, that Harry was the first Green Goblin? Really?

And by the end of this season, once Peter acquired the symbiote, the Green Goblin plot became a complete afterthought. And, quite frankly, that should NEVER happen.

But the Goblin Saga is not over, and we know now that it wasn't Harry. THe voice actors kind of gave that away in a press release.

^ Which is exactly why I'm personally not ready to label it "terrific".

SSM.
there are so many comic nods in this series, and the villains are getting the attention they deserve. so does Spidey and his problems.

I will vote SSM. I don't recall ever being this excited every Saturday morning for a cartoon show. I have really enjoyed it. Who would ever thought we would have gotten a supporting cast straight out of the comics. No new made up characters. All the villains were done well. No one benefited more than Tombstone. What a brilliant way to use a character. This is probably because of Kingpin's absence but who cares. They still utilized an established character from the comics. Gwen and Captain Stacy for the first time, just great. Looking forward to what they give us next. Molten Man, Gang Wars, Master Planner, another Sinister Six, I CANNOT WAIT.

Ya know, as much fun as it would be to call this "Craptacular sPider-Man", the show has almost single-handedly saved today's generation of kid's cartoons. I can't even resPect the opinion of anyone who says today's cartoons suck and have since the 80s. You overly nostalgic ass-clowns can suck an egg. Grow up and start watching saturday morning cartoons again. Well, at least this one.

Spectacular Spider-Man all the way.

A well written version of Venom. A real Sinister Six, not Insidious Six, led by Doc Ock, not Kingpin. A first class supporting cast. Fights with punches being thrown. A terrific Goblin saga.

I could go on and on....

Right on Joker!! No wonder I think we are twins...we share the same brain on lots of things. (Minus that whole Kurt Russel thing.:cwink:)

I loved S:TAS, because I grew up on...so nostalgic reasons it holds a place in my heart, and it was GREAT for it's time. But as far favorite, I have to go with Spectacular Spider-Man....I love it because of all the nods to Stan Lee/ Steve Ditko run and look. The characters are better, and the fights actually seem like fights, and not just out-smarting with webs.

Yea i am in the same boat TAS was a good show when i was a little kid watching it and i enjoyed it alot. But for SSM it is much better on many areas TAS was bad at.

I still think it is too soon to vote, we have many more villians that we have not seen in SSM yet.

^ I think we're just comparing the first seasons, respectively.

well the point of this thread was to compare the two shows first seasons.

Speaking strictly of first season of either shows, I think it's a tie. But if I have to be nitpicky and if I can complain, than in all honesty TAS is much better, yes in a long list of SSM is better I dared to say TAS is better! As far as I see it, this show hasn't touched its limitations. Yes, TAS had crappy animation but every other aspect of it overshadowed that little flaw. The story, the dialogs and the relationships between the characters seemed much more solid and well developed, even if it wasn't all too true to the comics. I always felt things were rushed in this show, a lot cramped into one episode. The dialogs never seemed too convincing or should I say came out as dry, imo.

Some of the things TAS had it better were: Relationships of the characters as aforementioned, the arrival of the symbiote, better Angry-Black-Suit Spidey, the way Peter finds out its the alien symbiote with help of Connors and not just arriving at that conclusion within his own mind, the Sinister-Six or Insidious Six; though not true to the comics, appeared much more intimidating and played out very well in two-parter episode, Chameleon's episode had greater level of threat with inclusion of S.H.I.E.L.D. and lastly Peter really saw Venom as a major threat: in SSM I never really got the feeling that Peter was even scared of Venom.

I know it must appear as if I don't like the show, but I gave my honest vote and opinion here. SSM is a cool show, but it just appears slightly more childish than TAS and I think it can still do better by slowing a bit. But I'm hoping for the second season to change my mind about it.

The Spectacular Spider-Man had it's moments in each episode of season 1 were their were great highlights (nods,homages,Tributes etc...) But IMO it doesn't even come close to topping the First season of the 90's series .

For one thing in the 90's Peter Parker scientific intelligence was much more present than it is in TSSM. Plus I enjoyed Christopher Daniel Barnes voice as The wisecracking Web-slinger more than Josh Keaton in TSSM .

The origin of
1.The Lizard
2.The Scorpion
3. The Spider Slayers
4. Mysterio
4. Doctor Octopus
5. Venom
6. Kraven : The Hunter
7. The Hobgoblin
8. The Chameleon
In the 90's is still top dog in my books . Not one of the villains from The Spectacular Spider-man in season 1 origin was my favorite .

I liked that Spider-Man in the 90's got prosecuted by J.Jonah Jameson harshly . Ed Asner voice was incredible as JJJ , The guy on TSSM hasn't even made an impact on me yet . He's just loud hothead with no real substance.

TSSM is something fresh & new take on The Spider-Man mythology that why it will probably loved by many and accepted very easily, But IMO it's yet to capture the true essence of the character Spider-Man /Peter Parker & his supporting cast as The 90's has IMO.

This Peter Parker in the spectacular Spiderman hasn't suffered enough yet he hasn't had to face the real touch choices of being a selfless superhero (when everyone else around him is against him)

The 90s was good... if you like bad dialogue; horrid animation; mediocre voice acting (the voice director, Tony Pastor) hasn't been able to get a job since because he is just so bad at it; and censorship so bad that none of the characters can ever touch each other.

I was 13 when that show first aired, Spider-Man fan since near birth, been reading the comics since I could read. Read the current comics, read the classics, and when this show first aired, I yelled "they butchered it!" Maybe I was spoiled by Batman and Gargoyles, which were masterpieces then and are masterpieces now, but Spidey:TAS was just bad.

I am also speaking from something of a professional standpoint. I am something of a development producer, and a screenwriter. But, god, I wish I was a story editor on that series, because I would have taken a red marker to every one of those scripts. The writing was just bad. Hmm, what is John Semper up to these days?

Plus, they turned Norman Osborn into a whiny *****... something he NEVER was.

This new series is a love letter to the old Lee/Ditko/Romita comics, while at the same time bringing something new to the table.

I'm sorry, but when someone says that the 90s series is better, to me, that's like saying that "Batman Forever" is better than "Chinatown."

YEa i totally agree with you SF. I was a little bit younger then when was TAS started i was around 8 yrs old at the time. But now that i am older and in college for tv/film stuff i can see from story and production standpoint all the things that were bad, wrong with the 90s show on top of the harsh censorship fox had on the show at that time. SSM is a nice and fresh take on the character and i agree it has a nice mix of classic elements and newer stuff and is able to put there own spin on things. I loved watching TAS as a kid and still do to this day there is a handful of episodes from each season i liked alot and enjoy watching when i watch it online or toon disney/jetix. SSM is a great show and hopefully will have a chance to grow and be around for a long time so things can be expanded and grown. Cant wait to see where season 2 will take us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"