'Total Recall' ready for revival - Part 1

No! I'm relieved i didn't pay to see it..
i can't even name a remake that was better than the previous version.

It was BLAND, no mars? no Mutants?? WHY?? to save money? to just push out another sure fire hit on the coat tales of the previous Original Hit starring Arnold?

I'll never go to a theater to see a remake ever again, even if its Free.

It cost 200mil to make so I don't think that money was the issue. I never say never because if I'm bored enough I'll see anything but I always thought that this movie looked like a bland remake of a classic film. And I don't care what the fanboys think about it but the original is seen as a classic and I unabashedly think that it is a great and smart action. The new one looks like a bland retread and nothing more.

What fanboys? I doubt many people would class the original as a classic either. Any smartness it had beneath the brash crudity was due to the source material.

What fanboys? I doubt many people would class the original as a classic either. Any smartness it had beneath the brash crudity was due to the source material.

The same can be said for the beloved Nolan Batman movies or any other films based on something.

I'm slowly but surely just learning to not be bothered and just laugh at these remakes because they don't effect the originals and nobody remembers them 99% of the time. Like the terrible Elm Street remake Recall already has bad reviews and now I'm just waiting to see if it tanks at the box office. Early numbers should be in at 3:00am my time. It's going to be interesting to see if enough people to cover a 200mil budget cared.

I seriously doubt that this will make that much money domestically. I'm not sure about international. But I think they really shot themselves in the foot with that 200 mill budget.

The same can be said for the beloved Nolan Batman movies or any other films based on something.

I'm slowly but surely just learning to not be bothered and just laugh at these remakes because they don't effect the originals and nobody remembers them 99% of the time. Like the terrible Elm Street remake Recall already has bad reviews and now I'm just waiting to see if it tanks at the box office. Early numbers should be in at 3:00am my time. It's going to be interesting to see if enough people to cover a 200mil budget cared.

It depends if the director and writers actually add anything I guess.

I am not really bothered if it's a hit or not, in fact I wont see it until the end of August, but so far what I have seen I have really liked, I think Wiseman is a great action director and visualist, the world of this Total Recall looks fantastic to me, but I'll review the film as a whole when I see it, however to me this is not a remake so much as a new take on the source material with nods to the older take. As for remakes, I take each as it comes as some have been better but the fanboys have some really dated stuff on dusty pedestals.

I don't think the original was is some untouchable classic. But what makes it so fun has a lot to do with the leads. Watching Arnold go through his ordeal is just so much fun.

Arnold is one of those actors you can just watch in even the worst movie. Even one with Sinbad. By all rights that movie should have been garbage, but seeing him freak out over trying to get that toy for his kid was comedy.

Arnold is one of those actors you can just watch in even the worst movie. Even one with Sinbad. By all rights that movie should have been garbage, but seeing him freak out over trying to get that toy for his kid was comedy.

Yep. Spanish Turbo Man and the Hartman cookie conversation are classic.

It depends if the director and writers actually add anything I guess.

I am not really bothered if it's a hit or not, in fact I wont see it until the end of August, but so far what I have seen I have really liked, I think Wiseman is a great action director and visualist, the world of this Total Recall looks fantastic to me, but I'll review the film as a whole when I see it, however to me this is not a remake so much as a new take on the source material with nods to the older take. As for remakes, I take each as it comes as some have been better but the fanboys have some really dated stuff on dusty pedestals.

Yep dated crappy stuff like Ghostbusters and the Superman movies. I'm not obsessed with movies because they are old or new so I know you aren't talking about me.

Yep dated crappy stuff like Ghostbusters and the Superman movies. I'm not obsessed with movies because they are old or new so I know you aren't talking about me.

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular but you think Ghostbusters is crappy? :(

Ghostbusters is crappy and dated. Really?

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular but you think Ghostbusters is crappy? :(

I think that it has aged horribly. The only thing I really liked was the Slimer visual effect. Other than that, it's painfully dated humor, lazy story and a certain famous comedian's not quite great acting at the time kills it for me.

I think Wiseman's talents would've been better served on something that wasn't a remake like this.

Ghostbusters holds up pretty damn well. I would say its one of the best aged flicks of the 80s. Especially the humor. Sure the effects are dated but some hold up pretty well for being 30 years old.

Im curious to see how the crowd who hasnt seen the original Recall reacts to this one.

I think Wiseman's talents would've been better served on something that wasn't a remake like this.

I don't think he has any to be honest. I see him as one of the many generic studio directors. They should have remade the movie with a real director, I would have been interested then. Despite my rep I don't just hate every director or every movie. I just don't give bland studio directors a lot of thought or praise. If like Duncan Jones or some interesting up and comer would have signed on I would have had to pay attention but nepotism Wiesman staring Mr. Box office poison excites me about as much as the prospect of a sequel to Prometheus. Independent of the film's quality I don't even understand the business behind it. Lets hire a talented but 2003-2004 audience rejected "it boy" to headline a total recall remake with an over 150mil budget. Didn't Fright Night's complete lack of box office prowess show the studio that nobody cares about Colin Ferrell? I like Colin Ferrell when he's not playing in studio fare but he isn't a star and never will be. I'm sure the movie will do decently enough overseas but I don't think that Sony is going to be entertaining a sequel or rewarding the director or actors.

seems like no one mentioned this so for those who seen this, how was [BLACKOUT]Ethan Hawke's cameo[/BLACKOUT]?

Last edited:
I don't think the original was is some untouchable classic. But what makes it so fun has a lot to do with the leads. Watching Arnold go through his ordeal is just so much fun.

Not just Arnold, but Sharon Stone, Michael Ironside, and Ronny Cox too. So much scenery chewed in that movie. It was glorious.

Not just Arnold, but Sharon Stone, Michael Ironside, and Ronny Cox too. So much scenery chewed in that movie. It was glorious.

Yep, agree. That is why I said leads. Kate looks great and all, but just from the trailers you can tell she isn't close to Stone in the role.

The fight scene between her and Farell was pretty cool as was a fight in an elevator between her and Beil. She did a good job with the role imo. Acotrs were not the problem. Script was just basic and never brought anything new while taking itself very seriously. It def lacks the fun, gore,humor and creativity that the original had. Theres alot of problems and its not great, but I still dug it.

Last edited:
I am watching the original before seeing the remake

Last edited:
3 boobs in the buff!
i didn't think it would be shown.
:awesome:
:awesome: :woot:

Well, I'll wait for the DVD release on this one, as it seems like an enjoyable flick for the moment (perhaps a perfect hangover movie?) but lacks the charm that the original had. If I understood the reviews right, that is.

But one thing that surely will be better in this movie: The cars! I hated the ugly (and actually non futuristic) design already at the theater back in -90. They looked like they rather belonged in a sci-fi flick from the 70:s IMO.

i181798.jpg

Other than that, I sometimes miss going to the movies to watch an Arnold flick in his prime. The original TR and T2 were fun cinema memories.

Edit: Am I the only one who think that Sharon Stone never was hotter than in TR?

a69188216e.png

Last edited:
I enjoyed the remake, but I still prefer the original. It was a lot of fun, but follows the events in the original almost to a "T". I also couldn't stand all the one-liners. The futuristic setting was pretty awesome though. I recommend seeing it, (3.5/5 for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"