The Dark Knight Two years later: Heath Ledger's performance

I felt that Harvey Dent was still Harvey Dent right up until Joker put the gun in his hand and he flipped the coin.

I think Alfred and Joker were supposed to have some sort of interaction in Bruce's penthouse, because I remember reading Caine was so afraid of Ledger, he forgot his lines.

I think Alfred and Joker were supposed to have some sort of interaction in Bruce's penthouse, because I remember reading Caine was so afraid of Ledger, he forgot his lines.

He might have meant his regular lines sans Joker interaction.

You're absolutely right. I remember him saying the same thing too.

“I was waiting for Batman’s guests, but (the Joker) had taken over the elevator with — he has seven dwarfs and… oh! wait until you see them. So, I’d never seen any of it and the elevator door opened and they came out and I forgot every bloody line. They frightened the bloody life out of me …. It’s amazing and it’s so different from Jack.”

It kinda' works well in the film, no? Alfred being stunned and speechless at the sight of the Joker showing up to the party, etc....

He didn't even have any lines in that scene did he? I mean after Joker shows up.

I'd have loved Alfred to have had some kind of interaction with the Joker. Even if Alfred was just holding a tray of food, and Joker took something off it lol.

I'm talking about the party scene with Alfred. Alfred only has that brief exchange with Dent.

Ah....no biggie, though. As far as Dent knows...he's just a butler, y'know? It would have been kinda' nice for Joker to say something to Alfred, and you just see Alfred standing his ground defiantly.

Last edited:
I'd have loved Alfred to have had some kind of interaction with the Joker. Even if Alfred was just holding a tray of food, and Joker took something off it lol.
Same here. Just a simple line would have been nice, because I've never seen those two ever say anything to each other. Not in the live action TV show, the various cartoons, movies, or the comics. Two of the biggest characters in all the Batman mythos, not so much as a "Hello."

I've always wanted to know how heath's Joker came to be. It's definitely left ambiguous but i wonder how Nolan imagined it. Like how did he really get those scars.

Since it was ambiguous, that must be his preferred view on the subject.

I've always wanted to know how heath's Joker came to be. It's definitely left ambiguous but i wonder how Nolan imagined it. Like how did he really get those scars.
Nah, that would defeat the purpose of the mystery and intrigue. I prefer not knowing who he really is or how he came to be, because it makes him seem like more than just a regular man (he has no super powers yet is a supervillain). And it sets him even more in opposition to Batman, who as a very detailed origin.

Since it was ambiguous, that must be his preferred view on the subject.

Yeah you're right, but leaving the Joker's origin ambiguous does not mean it doesn't exist. I'd just be interested in the different possibilities...but I suppose that is what the lines "you know how I got these scars" were for. A drunk father, or self mutilation may have been just two of the backstories Nolan thought of which is why they were put there. Kinda like in TKJ where he goes into his backstory with the dead wife etc, but later says his past is multiple choice. Alan Moore had that one backstory in mind but also made it ambugious.

Well unless we are to think that Nolan believes the Joker just appeared out of nowhere like the Big bang theory:o

I always saw his multiple scar stories as a nod to the Killing Joke. "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past I prefer it to be multiple choice".

I think the whole thing with the ferries, and Joker trying to push the Gotham citizens into killing each other, just to prove deep down everyone is like him, is another Killing Joke element. Batman says to him: "What were you trying to prove? That deep down everyone is as ugly as you? You're alone".

JokerTKJTDK.jpg

I had not thought about the second part about him trying to push other people over the edge being similar to TKJ but you're right.

Makes me thing that Joker in TDK was so hellbent on forcing people over the edge that he too was probably sent into insanity once...like he did to Harv. One bad day...

I think the whole thing with the ferries, and Joker trying to push the Gotham citizens into killing each other, just to prove deep down everyone is like him, is another Killing Joke element. Batman says to him: "What were you trying to prove? That deep down everyone is as ugly as you? You're alone".
What he did to Harvey was similar to that as well with Gordon in TKJ, only here he actually succeeds.

Ew... he stuck his two fingers into Batman's eyes... must have hurt

Batman looks so silly in that last panel LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"