Tyler Hoechlin is Clark Kent/Superman

ZXsJzJJ.jpg

lWA89j4.jpg

The neckline doesn't look too bad there. The boots could be better, but overall the costume looks good. Much better without those awful cape clasps.

EDIT: that looks like a manip. Was only looking quickly.

So we're still waiting for a proper set pic of the new costume?

Thinking years ago back when the first photo of Brandon Routh in the Superman suit was released. I remember thinking how excited I was. I was more optimistic back then. I fooled myself into thinking I liked the suit--when in fact, I didn't. I was just excited we were getting a new Superman movie regardless. Firstly, that awkward "S" design and its very small size is what turned me off. Yet in 'Superman & Lois', they're going back to the small "S" after all the complaining? That's a big step backwards if you ask me, but I hope the producers increase the size of the "S". The producers of 'The Flash' have adjusted the mask for each new Flash suit at least 2-3 times. Particularly the eye holes and the yellow streaks. S6's mask upgraded just before Crisis premiered if I recall, and by then, I thought the S6 Flash suit design was absolute perfection.

Back to the Superman's suits though...in BvS, they reduced the size of the S too, while I really liked the larger "S" size in MOS, from some angles, you could argue it was maybe too big and took up too much space on Cavill's chest, making him appear less massive than he actually was. You could also argue the larger the "S", the skinnier Cavill appeared too. From other shots and different angles in MOS though, Cavill did appear to look massive. Somehow though, I think the smaller version of the "S" in BvS helped make Cavill look bigger, but that may have also had to do with how they changed the position of his cape liked from the top of his shoulders. The designers probably lowered his collar as well. All in all, I think the position of the S and the way his cape line looked on Cavill's shoulders looked perfectly well-put together. I think the smaller boots and lowering the belt buckle made his look shorter though. Aside from that, I liked this version of the suit.

As for Tyler's new suit, I like it just fine. It's a huge improvement over the original suit he wore in from 'Supergirl', albeit...the only thing I would change at the very least is adjusting "S" size. Nothing more. If there's only one change they could make, I just hope they change the size. That would be all I ask for. If there wasn't anything wrong about his original suit Tyler wore in Supergirl, it was the "S" size. They did that right. The cape shoulder plastic cuffs were dreadful. I liked the idea of the cape shoulder touching the sides of the "S" emblem, I just don't think they did a good job at designing the concept. I think they should have used the polyester part of the cape touching those yellow-brackets, instead of those red plastic things. Those red cuff shoulders were a huge distraction. Since "Superman Returns" though, I have never been a fan of the smaller red boots, though that's a minimal thing. Still, why the shorter neck collar? That's like 'Superman Returns' all over again. And the cape coming down from the neckline instead of making an upward curve over the shoulders? Okay, in conclusion, I don't hate this suit though and I think it's fine EXCEPT FOR THE SMALL "S"!

Now, can we talk about Brandon Routh's two Superman suits he wore on screen again? So as I mentioned before, when the first photo of Brandon in the suit released for 'Returns', I told myself as I kid that I liked the first suit, only to realize years later how much I in fact, disliked it entirely. Aside from the small "S", the texture of the suit--especially the cape...brown-red...hardly even red, looked terrible. Throughout the third act of the movie, Brandon's suit looked so dark-purple or brownish. It did not look good. I liked the belt buckle and 3D parts of the suit, but everything else was bad. Brandon's hair looked a bit silly. Could have given him sideburns. I think the hair-part would have looked way better on his right. Those boots looked dreadful. I think what I hated the most was ultimately the cape looking heavy, brown, made of rubber, and the way the cape came down from Brandon's tight neckline on both sides of his shoulders looked crappy. And Tyler's suit looks similar.

But flashforward to 2019 in "Crisis"--wow, Brandon looked more like Superman than ever in that Kingdom Come suit, even more so than Cavill. The bright red colors, the proportions of the S, and the size, his neckline, shoulders, even even the red briefs (although I gotta admit, it was very on-the-nose) made an overall beautiful suit. I can't say that all of the 'Returns' suit is bad, it's just by comparison, the Kingdom Come suit is far superior and really stands out as Superman.

If only 'Superman & Lois' had gone for something closer to that concept. On the subject of the red briefs though, I was looking at images of Christopher Reeve in the suit recently, and I have to say that I wasn't always conscious of the red briefs on Reeve's costume, whereas both suit versions worn by Routh, his red briefs are completely noticeable and somewhat distracting. Very on-the-nose. As classic as the Kingdom Come suit looked, those big red briefs still pop out a little too much.

The difference between the small S on the S&L suit and the small S on the SR suit for me is the S&L one has better texture, colour and it’s still larger than that suits S was. I don’t think it’s a step backwards either as I think on this particular suit it looks great.

I think this new suit is exceptional, the colours, the textures, heck it’s even got a similarly high collar & the way the cape tucks in on the SR suit but here they’ve done it right. If this had been the suit Brandon had had in SR there wouldn’t be the complaints about the suit in that film imo. It’s not perfect and it could do with a few minor tweaks but nothing on it is a deal breaker for me. That edit above is quite nice but the S in that is way too large and I kind of hate manips as it’s easy to tweak someone else’s work.

Last edited:
If we get a second season, I hope that the producers decide to ditch the (obvious) muscle suit underneath the costume. Granted, the new costume is still an big upgrade from the previous one.

However, I think the new costume would still look better on Tyler if it utilized his natural physique.

If we get a second season, I hope that the producers decide to ditch the (obvious) muscle suit underneath the costume. Granted, the new costume is still an big upgrade from the previous one.

However, I think the new costume would still look better on Tyler if it utilized his natural physique.

You need one but maybe not one so bulky. I still think it all depends how it looks on film cause I remember Shazam didn’t look great on set pics and then it was fine in the movie. Although I think it looks fine in this set pic.

The suit definitely is an upgrade.

I’m really hoping a second series happens and the show impresses people. Outside of the comics, Superman fans need something.

Why does Hoechlin need a muscle suit? He needs to train like Henry Cavill, especially since he's playing this role full time now. No excuse now not to always be Superman big.

Why does Hoechlin need a muscle suit? He needs to train like Henry Cavill, especially since he's playing this role full time now. No excuse now not to always be Superman big.

That compare is not fair I think. Actors like Hemsworth and Cavill have lets say 3 months of prepare to get in shape. And even then they filming the shirtless/muscle scenes first because they lost there peak. Because Covid filming will not be easier so it means after 10h set day Hoechlin should do 2h workout? Hmm.

In addition I dont need a Superman who looks like a wrestling guy, a way - repeat: way - more skinny Superman is totally fine with me.

That compare is not fair I think. Actors like Hemsworth and Cavill have lets say 3 months of prepare to get in shape. And even then they filming the shirtless/muscle scenes first because they lost there peak. Because Covid filming will not be easier so it means after 10h set day Hoechlin should do 2h workout? Hmm.

In addition I dont need a Superman who looks like a wrestling guy, a way - repeat: way - more skinny Superman is totally fine with me.

2 hrs? 4 hrs. :o

I think his physique is fine. Just wish they had made the neckline a bit wider on the suit. It’s frustrating when they ALMOST nail something but still find a way to mess it up a bit. Still, they ditched those stupid cape clasps and for that I’m eternally grateful.

The suit definitely is an upgrade.

I’m really hoping a second series happens and the show impresses people. Outside of the comics, Superman fans need something.

Given the deals they’ve made on the properties they’ve built it’s gonna get at least 3 seasons guaranteed. It would have to be a complete dumpster fire that had the worst ratings in history to not get another season.

I never want Hoechlin to get Cavill-sized. Henry overdid it, imo. He got so puffy his muscles look more like a hindrance than anything. I prefer Superman to have a more natural-looking physique. I think Tyler’s physique is just fine, but he should work on building his neck a little bit. That’s the part that makes the muscle suit look so obvious. His neck has been thicker in the past, so I know it’s in his wheelhouse.

I think his physique is fine. Just wish they had made the neckline a bit wider on the suit. It’s frustrating when they ALMOST nail something but still find a way to mess it up a bit. Still, they ditched those stupid cape clasps and for that I’m eternally grateful.

Tyler Hoechlin's neck is a bit skinny, a wider neckline would make his neck look even smaller.

Why does Hoechlin need a muscle suit?

So his muscles aren't compressed under the skin-tight suit he wears. They help to enhance what is already there (unlike padded suits which have built-in musculature).

I'd make a safe wager every actor who's portrayed a superhero (particularly one whose attire is form-fitting or skin-tight) since the first Spider-Man film has worn one.

Jimmy could stopped by and give Superman a Shave and a Haircut. :cwink:

JimmyOlsen110.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"