Civil War Users Rate & Review Civil War (TAG Spoilers!)

I have to add, Civil War is so great with its villain that I have no hype for Infinity War. Why should I care about some purple alien witha glove fetish? Give us more human villains!

I really liked it. Can't be bothered to write an in-depth review but you won't be disappointed.

Just got back ,caps got the best superhero trilogy now imo. 9/10 spidey and panther was awesome

I'm putting you Marvel fanboys on notice.

As a hard-core DC fan and person who intensely dislikes Captain America, I wanted to Batman v Superman to be the better film. Sadly, I have reaped the reward I deserve for being such a hater by having Batman v Superman kind of suck - and from all accounts Civil War looks amazing. Hell, I can't stand Cap, but I'm actually excited about seeing a movie about him - and that says a lot.

So I'm putting you on notice that if I see this film and it it does live up to the hype then it will be Marvel's "Dark Knight" and take the superhero film to new heights.....

...... then I will utterly concede that Marvel is the superior cinematic universe (at least for the time being...and maybe the foreseeable future). I figured that a film with both Batman and Superman couldn't go wrong - man, was I wrong.

What Nolan did for Batman was totally right, and Snyder got it half right with Man of Steel, but Batman v Superman was pretty much all wrong ! On the other hand what the Russos did in TWS was amazing (hell, it made me enjoy a Captain America film) and by all accounts what they've done in CW is amazing.

I still might see CW and hate it, but I seriously doubt it. As such, right now I'm seriously Hulk-green envious - so bask in it, all the bragging about how great the MCU is, well looks like it's justified !

You lucky bastards, I wish Bats and Supes (my all-time favourite comic book heroes) got the same kind of treatment that Marvel gives its characters - I mean some fans say DC makes movies with deep themes that are dark and complex....... but let's face it we go and see superhero movies to be entertained, and B v S was not particularly entertaining - what does it matter if it's deep, dark and complex if it's also unwatchable dog-**** ? The Dark Knight was dark and complex but still super entertaining - so that excuse is just bollocks.

Anyway, hopefully by this time next week I'll have seen CW and will post my review in this thread, watch this space !

Lifelong DC fan here - Civil War destroys Batman V Superman on every level.

It's quite depressing really. When you see it, consider how many changes Snyder made to Batman and Superman's characters in BvS, then compare that to what Marvel have done with Spider-man in Civil War.

NIGHT and DAY.

Civil War is a more mature, intelligent movie than BvS.

It makes sense. Character motivations make sense. The story makes sense.

And I'd argue there's actually more darkness in Civil War than BvS - if you're talking thematically, rather than just having everyone look miserable and spout cynical dialogue. And the dark parts hit harder too, because they are balanced with moments of great levity.

Again - SPIDER-MAN IS BRILLIANT.

BvS's shortcomings are just going to be highlighted even more once enough people have seen Civil War.

It'd get an 8/10 from me without Spider-man. 9/10 with him. I genuinely think that The Dark Knight is the only better comic movie now, even though it's third in my top three after BB and TDK.

Last edited:
A magnificent achievement, the best CBM to date IMO, still collecting my thoughts about the whole thing!

10/10

All the stars.

Etc, etc.

A magnificent film. Well done Russo Brothers/Marvel.

Solid follow up to TWS and with a stand out center piece in the midway rumble that is worth the admission price alone, it really is a delight to behold. The story and narrative either side arent quite as strong as TWS so I would say that is still the strongest in the trilogy but there is much to like about this installment and certainly one of the MCU's best entries for a while. A quick pro and con list in spoilers should do the trick:

Pros
Everything Spiderman, he really adds some zing to the whole thing and made me interested in a solo movie again.
Black Panther is another strong entry and interesting addition to the cast.
Supporting cast all strong in fact with plenty to do, even Hawkeye is awesome for once!
GIANT-MAN!!
RDJ's best performance in some time as Stark.
Great actions set-pieces.
Some decent humor throughout.

Cons
Shakey-cam overload at points.
Lack of a real threat or danger, even to the main fight, nothing to really spoil.
Main villain is rather bland and motives nothing compelling or that different from other characters, Crossbones a waste as well.
Some convenient plot points towards the end.

Overall I would probably put it as Number 3 on MCU's list of films just behind TWS and the first Iron-Man but it certainly gives me hope for the upcoming Avengers films that I was beginning to lose a little interest in after Ultron but the Russo's seem to have a strong handle on what they are doing and a confidence to really go for it at certain points. Will be seeing it again this weekend but for now I think a 8.5/10 is a fair score and I am sure any CBM fan will get a massive kick out of the middle third of this film alone.

One of the greatest CBM of this era. Wow. I'm going back tomorrow to see it again. But yeah, the 3rd act left me broken.

Quick Early Reaction Review
Score: 9/10 (super enjoyable, tons of fun-maybe the most fun I've ever had at a marvel movie)

Click on the spoilers for my detailed likes and dislikes

Liked
-Each character shines and excels in their own showcase scenes, no1 is left out
-Power levels of characters vis a vis each other are very accurate imo
-Zemo (not amazing but better that I expected from what I'd heard)
-Scarlet Witch and Vision's quasi romantic scenes (really hoping they get to develop it further into a proper relationship)
-Bucky's arc
-Action scenes throughout the movie were perfect
-Black Panther's introduction very well handled
-Spidey is tonally great
-Punchy emotional scenes
-Whole movie is paced perfctly, never gets slow or boring
-The way they handled the start of the civil war, showing why both parties had good reasons to do what they did (i went in team cap, came out quite split)
-Solid ending which once again like the winter soldier, changes the mcu
-Awesome mid credits scene which got me so hyped for the panther movie

Disliked
-Sharon and Cap relationship not developed enough imo before the kiss
-Dont feel Zemo's motives developed enough
-Would have liked to see a bit more on what happened to Wanda, Sam, Clint and Scott after Steve broke them out of the prison.
-Poor post credit scene imo (the spiderman one)
-Not enough time showing vision and wanda playing house!!! hahaha

Loved it!
Voted 9/10 mostly because they really needed to link this into Agents of SHIELD like they did with WS instead of focusing only on the Inhumans to me a missed opportunity!

As soon as Ross recommended the Accords I knew it was wrong, as soon as they revealed the Raft it became clear why it was wrong.
For the Accords to work they should have nominated a neutral party to supervise it, say for example Wakanda and not the US!
Vision thought he was protecting Wanda instead he was her prison guard and didn't understand he was in the wrong!
The way I saw it, it was only a matter of time before Ross or some other idiot would imprison her as they didn't view her as human, merely a weapon of mass destruction which should have automatically disallowed them to be involved.
Zemo was surprisingly human after seemingly looking to recruit his own squad of winter soldiers he instead made sure that wouldn't happen and for once they didn't kill him off giving the Black Panther his own character arc going from revenge driven to understanding enough to prevent Zemo committing suicide.

Anyone else surprised a certain actor wasn't playing Norman Osborn?

A very good movie. As enjoyable as the Winter Soldier with great acting and thrilling action. That airport battle sequences is a piece of art, and that's a compliment I don't easily give for movies.

Villain was disappointing and purely a plot device, and I think Marvel could've taken more risks with the ending to give us a greater emotional punch, but there are not many faults with this film.

It's not as good as Avengers, Batman Begins or Dark Knight (which are my top three favourite comic book movies of all time), but at the moment it's just one notch below them. That could change upon further viewing.

The Russo brothers rock.

Just saw it here in my country.

I will just say that Captain America: Civil War is the prime celebration for Marvel fans. Period.

10/10 for me.

Just got back, it was a great movie. It didn't disappoint at all. Russo's did it again!

One of the things I liked and was a pleasant surprise was the Falcon/Buck dynamic. These 2 are hilarious when together.

Don't want to get too wordy, but here we go.

Civil War is one of my favourite Marvel comics - not necessarily in its execution, but in its concept. Seeing our favourite heroes torn apart and forced against each other is such an interesting dramatic concept for me. And so when I found out they were adapting it... I was hella excited.

And I'm pleased to say I was in no way disappointed. I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole way through. The characters were perfect - Spidey, Panther & Ant-Man in particular - and the conflict & story were great too. I honestly didn't see the problem with Zemo - he was really good.

I don't want to turn this into some super long review, but as a big comics fan, I was a very, very, happy & moderately overexcited camper upon leaving. This is a fantastic movie. Two thumbs up. :up: :up:

I'm wary of giving very high ratings - my opinion of AoU has dropped dramatically - but my God, this movie is perfect. An easy 9.5 - hell, maybe even 10. :woot:

Don't want to get too wordy, but here we go.

Civil War is one of my favourite Marvel comics - not necessarily in its execution, but in its concept. Seeing our favourite heroes torn apart and forced against each other is such an interesting dramatic concept for me. And so when I found out they were adapting it... I was hella excited.

And I'm pleased to say I was in no way disappointed. I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole way through. The characters were perfect - Spidey, Panther & Ant-Man in particular - and the conflict & story were great too. I honestly didn't see the problem with Zemo - he was really good.

I don't want to turn this into some super long review, but as a big comics fan, I was a very, very, happy & moderately overexcited camper upon leaving. This is a fantastic movie. Two thumbs up. :up: :up:

I'm wary of giving very high ratings - my opinion of AoU has dropped dramatically - but my God, this movie is perfect. An easy 9.5 - hell, maybe even 10. :woot:

How drammatically?

Loved seeing it two days ago and tomorrow it's time for the second viewing. It will be interesting to see what new bits of the movie that will stick with me now that I forgot the first time.

Wonderfully made, and really really solid, definitely top 5 material in terms of MCU stuff. It does ultimately feel a little toothless and safe, and there are some definite third act issues, but overall its an extremely strong film and miles better than the Avengers films and a worthy follow up to Winter soldier. It took me a couple of watches to fall in love with that movie, and now that my expectations are in check, it will take me a few viewings to really rate this properly, but as a first time impression I give it a strong 8/10.

Oh and that scene, you know which one...the big fight scene. Easily the greatest superhero action sequence put on film.

A really good movie.
The conflict was great, both team looked right.
Black Panther was perfect during all the movie.
Spider-man was a lot of fun so was Scott.
I liked Zemo a lot, his motivation were really simple in the end.

Top, top movie
Still gathering my thoughts after last nights viewing
A lot of moving parts but the movie was on point
Some minor complaints (same as what others have raised) but nothing too major to detract from the film
Solid 8/10
Gonna rewatch it again soon

Just got back ,caps got the best superhero trilogy now imo. 9/10 spidey and panther was awesome

Ha, I agree with this, this was literally the review I put up on Facebook.

Civil War was great but could have been a lot better. Black Panther was awesome, Ant-Man was good too. Spidey ❤️ Shoe horned in though, it has to be said, can't deny it. Also the post credits scene 😭 Still give it a solid 9/10 but I can't deny that it was slightly disappointing in some areas. Favourite superhero film ever! Winter Soldier's been dethroned for me.

Excellent movie. Curiously for me Spider-Man wasn't the best thing about Civil War like it seems to be for some. I liked it, and I liked the portrayal and new take of it, I liked the relationship to Tony but some critics have raved about Spidey. If anything I probably preferred some of the stuff Antman does in the movie, which is pretty remarkable.

Excellent emotional struggles between Cap and Tony all the way through, and a particular reveal that happens was quite a thump to the gut even though I saw it coming. I saw a couple scenes coming actually, certain things you could say we're predictable in fact, but also necessary.

Each character really gets a chance to shine in one way or another but the whole thing felt like a Captain America movie to me, and Bucky/Cap are the main interest here.

I also found use of 3D to be good in this movie. Without describing scenes, I could notice and appreciate the 3D which is always a good thing.

Hope this was all vague enough - 9/10 (dropped one owing to evident predictability at times)

Excellent emotional struggles between Cap and Tony all the way through, and a particular reveal that happens was quite a thump to the gut even though I saw it coming.

9/10 (dropped one owing to evident predictability at times)

100% agree, I pieced it together after we got the 2 parts straight away.

This is the same reason why it gets a 9/10 for me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"