Civil War The Captain America: Civil War CRITIC REVIEWS Thread (TAG Spoilers)

There are a few negatives now as well. But its great to still see so many positives flooding in. :up:

Doesn't sound he like was much of a Cap fan to begin with, finding the character bland. That's what I like about him. Not every character needs to be like Tony Snark with a quip every other line. That's what Cap almost turned into in the last act of AoU.

I didn't see anything remotely resembling that at all and I saw AoU half a dozen times.

Only the "you didn't finish!" line, other than that he didn't make many quips.

I do get that it's different peoples tastes and opinions...but reading a few of these, not including the obvious one that did it for attention, it just seems everything is purposefully opposite from what the majority are saying.
Like many say that the movie is joyful, handles everybody well, has a heavy emotional impact and balances tone fantastically.
And yet these new negatives say it has no joy, characters are crammed in or pointless, no emotion, tone all over the place.
At least when it came to all the positives you could see they would almost consistantly point out the same few flaws and negitives.

NO. I'm not saying there's a conspiricy or anything, not even that a few of these critics have an axe to grind with Marvel (although it seems that way). But...to me, it just doesn't make sense.

10 hours to go.

The mirror review read okay until he said at the end "if you like b vs s or dofp you'll like this."

:huh: how are those two films related? It's a bizarre comment to make.

I do get that it's different peoples tastes and opinions...but reading a few of these, not including the obvious one that did it for attention, it just seems everything is purposefully opposite from what the majority are saying.
Like many say that the movie is joyful, handles everybody well, has a heavy emotional impact and balances tone fantastically.
And yet these new negatives say it has no joy, characters are crammed in or pointless, no emotion, tone all over the place.
At least when it came to all the positives you could see they would almost consistantly point out the same few flaws and negitives.

NO. I'm not saying there's a conspiricy or anything, not even that a few of these critics have an axe to grind with Marvel (although it seems that way). But...to me, it just doesn't make sense.

10 hours to go.
Sometimes, people don't like a movie that other people adore.
And you are right, there is no conspiracy.

Last edited:
Reading the reviews it seems there is definitely no conspiracy. The negative reviews say the film is bad for pretty much opposite reasons to each other lol.

10 hours to go.

Just stop. It's like you're saying, but not saying. It's gonna happen - these movies are viewed through individual eyes who all have a different perspective.

Hope it counts as positive. It sounds around 60 on metacritic.

That's what made me shake my head at how dumb the writer was.

In all fairness, I don't think it invalidates every single word the guy wrote. I actually hate it when fans parse specific words and phrases out of context to discredit a critic.

This is, however, unbelievably offensive to both women, and needs to be pointed out. How the editor even managed to miss this is beyond me, but I hope the guy corrects himself.

In all fairness, I don't think it invalidates every single word the guy wrote. I actually hate it when fans parse specific words and phrases out of context to discredit a critic.

This is, however, unbelievably offensive to both women, and needs to be pointed out. How the editor even managed to miss this is beyond me, but I hope the guy corrects himself.
This is what I was thinking as well. He should really have done some research if he was that unsure of who it was.

That's what made me shake my head at how dumb the writer was.

His issue, like mine, is in the end nothing happened. No stakes, no tension, no risk. Therefore no emotional depth in the movie. So you end up thinking it's pretty but hollow.
I'd certify the movie as fresh, but they made some really poor and confusing story decisions, but really that's because of Feige's direction that you have to maintain all their characters alive and heroic. So basically the premise of a Civil War was never going to work.

His issue, like mine, is in the end nothing happened. No stakes, no tension, no risk. Therefore no emotional depth in the movie. So you end up thinking it's pretty but hollow.
I'd certify the movie as fresh, but they made some really poor and confusing story decisions, but really that's because of Feige's direction that you have to maintain all their characters alive and heroic. So basically the premise of a Civil War was never going to work.

As opposed to BVS where they killed Superman and everybody knew will be back in Justice League right away? :whatever: By your logic, if any superhero movie doesn't kill anyone then it has "no stakes, no tension, no risk". Can't wait to see who they kill in SS and WW.

As opposed to BVS where they killed Superman and everybody knew will be back in Justice League right away? :whatever: By your logic, if any superhero movie doesn't kill anyone then it has "no stakes, no tension, no risk". Can't wait to see who they kill in SS and WW.

Different reasons. We are meant to know as an audience that Superman comes back, it's the reaction to his sacrifice that further drives Bruce's and the world's narrative.

In MCU there is zero risk of the heroes dying because Marvel want their property to be filled with heroes who are good. But the failing of that from good story telling is there is no tension in any scene.

Every time they should, they don't.

CATWS Fury should have died brutally to the WS. You don't need him. Maria Hill simply takes his role.

AoU Ultron captures Widow and leaves her alive with a comms device. He should have televised her death to the Avengers which adds to why Hawkeye goes in to isolation and Tony should regret.

CACW completely avoids all consequence to action.

This is wrong.

The movie have plenty of consequence.

Different reasons. We are meant to know as an audience that Superman comes back, it's the reaction to his sacrifice that further drives Bruce's and the world's narrative.

In MCU there is zero risk of the heroes dying because Marvel want their property to be filled with heroes who are good. But the failing of that from good story telling is there is no tension in any scene.

Every time they should, they don't.

CATWS Fury should have died brutally to the WS. You don't need him. Maria Hill simply takes his role.

AoU Ultron captures Widow and leaves her alive with a comms device. He should have televised her death to the Avengers which adds to why Hawkeye goes in to isolation and Tony should regret.

CACW completely avoids all consequence to action.

How many times do you need to repeat yourself? Fine,you like your superheroes dead. We get it. But death=\=consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"