• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight What can kill TDK as a movie? Overestimating?

I thought of another possible one, a truly woeful casting decision with dent could harm the positive hype for the movie even before it comes out. I don't think there'd be much room for "well, he knows what he's doing" if Nolan cast someone like Keanu reeves, though I doubt Nolan would ever screw up that bad

A well-made point. Can the fanbase stand another Ledger-type casting?
006.gif

Crooklyn said:
A well-made point. Can the fanbase stand another Ledger-type casting?
006.gif

If not, then the fanbase is shallow, superficial and stupid. :cmad:

I dunno, I'm still very much on the fence about ledger, I don't understand exactly what made many fans on here go from "WTF?" to "ledger IS joker". I mean, any interviews with him have basically revolved around him saying some combination of "mask", "killing joke" and "f**k". I'd like to see a really great casting choice for Dent to get some positive TDK buzz going

StorminNorman said:
Maybe. Depends on who's cast really. But god forbid we get another guy cast in this movie that does have some questionable acting history. Lucky for Ledger, he's sorta made up for it in the past few years. :o

explode7 said:
^ Where's the smileys?:mad:
013.gif

^^ They're all at a party. :up:

StorminNorman said:

I wouldn't say that, the casting of ledger is a stretch, I'd put money on it that nobody ever mentioned him as a candidate on here, I for one never even thought of him. It's fine to say if nolan casts him he must be right for the job, I mean it's not like he's miscast any actors before....

For the last time Crookyln how do I get those smileys?

kenellard said:
I wouldn't say that, the casting of ledger is a stretch, I'd put money on it that nobody ever mentioned him as a candidate on here, I for one never even thought of him. It's fine to say if nolan casts him he must be right for the job, I mean it's not like he's miscast any actors before....

The casting of ledger was such a surprise not because of his ability, or because of his looks - but the fact that Bettany and Hulme was suppose to be THE two guys up for the role. It came as a complete surprised because he was never mentioned. In hindsite however, the casting is genius. Ledger is a great actor who is able to really lose himself in a role.

StorminNorman said:
The casting of ledger was such a surprise not because of his ability, or because of his looks - but the fact that Bettany and Hulme was suppose to be THE two guys up for the role. It came as a complete surprised because he was never mentioned. In hindsite however, the casting is genius. Ledger is a great actor who is able to really lose himself in a role.

Obviously I won't debate that it was a surprise, what I'm not sure about is whether he really is a "great" actor, the joker has to be one of the most challenging roles out there and so many actors were suggested, many that really seemed to "fit" the role, but then ledger comes through with it, basically I'll be very impressed if he pulls it off, but I wouldn't be too sure yet

explode7 said:
For the last time Crookyln how do I get those smileys?
You might wanna google "planet" and "smilies". :up:

StorminNorman said:
That's part of the surprise...but you're in plain denial if you don't think the general public's perception of Ledger at that point had no involvement. And that perceptioin would be a former teen heart-throb who recently starred in a gay cowbow-lover movie.

Crooklyn said:
That's part of the surprise...but you're in plain denial if you don't think the general public's perception of Ledger at that point had no involvement. And that perceptioin would be a former teen heart-throb who recently starred in a gay cowbow-lover movie.

that'd sort of be my main point, it's all well and good to proclaim ledger a great actor now that Nolan's cast him, personally I'd never dream of reffering to Heath Ledger as a "great actor". There are so many more proven actors out there for a Joker-type role, so I think it's a massive risk on Nolans part, not to mention an uneccesary one, so I reserve any judgement 'till I see the movie, because nothing I've seen or heard is convincing me. which is why a well-cast dent would be a huge comfort at this point

kenellard said:
that'd sort of be my main point, it's all well and good to proclaim ledger a great actor now that Nolan's cast him, personally I'd never dream of reffering to Heath Ledger as a "great actor". There are so many more proven actors out there for a Joker-type role, so I think it's a massive risk on Nolans part, not to mention an uneccesary one, so I reserve any judgement 'till I see the movie, because nothing I've seen or heard is convincing me. which is why a well-cast dent would be a huge comfort at this point

Ledger has great talent - his record shows that. He has never played a Joker-type role, however I think that works in his favor, we have no idea what he will do, a good quality in a Joker.

Calling his casting a massive and "unneccesary" risk I think is a little much. Clearly Nolan does not feel it this way, or else Ledger would of never been cast. Paul Bettany wanted to role, he has shown he can play a great villian, his work in Gangster No. 1 showed he could be a perfect Joker - Nolan passed on him infavor of Ledger. That says a lot.

StorminNorman said:
Ledger has great talent - his record shows that. He has never played a Joker-type role, however I think that works in his favor, we have no idea what he will do, a good quality in a Joker.

Calling his casting a massive and "unneccesary" risk I think is a little much. Clearly Nolan does not feel it this way, or else Ledger would of never been cast. Paul Bettany wanted to role, he has shown he can play a great villian, his work in Gangster No. 1 showed he could be a perfect Joker - Nolan passed on him infavor of Ledger. That says a lot.

that's a good quality in the character of the joker, not the actor that plays him.

I don't think it's too much to call the casting of an actor with very few meaty film roles under his belt (innuendo?) a risk, there are few reasons to say he will get it right, but at the same time it's only an assumption to say he won't. like I said, it's a risk

kenellard said:
that's a good quality in the character of the joker, not the actor that plays him.

I don't think it's too much to call the casting of an actor with very few meaty film roles under his belt (innuendo?) a risk, there are few reasons to say he will get it right, but at the same time it's only an assumption to say he won't. like I said, it's a risk

Sure it is because that plays into the hype and anticipation for the movie. I love Paul Bettany, he is a great actor (one of my favorite) and could give us a comic perfect Joker. However I already know EXACTLY how he would take the role. We have never seen Ledger play such a role.

He has an Oscar Nomination, good good reviews for his performances in Lords of Dogtown and the Brothers Grimm - he is a very well respected actor in Hollywood. Combine his talent with the fact he WANTS the role (he went to Nolan at first) and his comments on the role show me no reason to doubt the man.

kenellard said:

Why is it a risk? Because he once played a gay cowboy in a movie? I'd remind you he was lauded by the academy for his performance. I didn't see Brokeback Mountain but I saw The Patriot and A Knight's Tale and I've always found Heath Ledger to be a likeable and entirely capable actor.

I believe he can be a great Joker, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the role.

Hell, I bet you were against Daniel Craig for Bond, too. :rolleyes:

Keyser Sushi said:
Why is it a risk? Because he once played a gay cowboy in a movie? I'd remind you he was lauded by the academy for his performance. I didn't see Brokeback Mountain but I saw The Patriot and A Knight's Tale and I've always found Heath Ledger to be a likeable and entirely capable actor.

I believe he can be a great Joker, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the role.

Hell, I bet you were against Daniel Craig for Bond, too. :rolleyes:

I'm not really into bond movies, I've heard good things about CR though.

I think it's a risk because he's never had a role anywhere near as intense as the joker, so I worry that he won't be able to pull it off, as there isn't any evidence to prove he can, that's pretty much it. I wouldn't ever run him down because he played a gay cowboy, that's just a lame troll-esque way to belittle someones point, I'm all up for "Brokeback 2: back in the habit"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"