What Character do you wish Marvel never created...

Optimus_Prime_

Superhero
Reaction score
Mine is Venom. I've never been a fan, and now with the constant identity swapping I see him as pretty much a vaguely Bizzaro-like Spider-Man knock-off and we have plenty of those. Moreover, most of the Spider-"men", many of them, spun off of Venom. Venom, to me is like everything that's wrong with 90s, is very uncreative, and really is only interesting due to Black suit Spidey, but really could've stayed a one-off character.

I'm also not partial to Cable as he's part of the whole continuity mess problem X-Men has.

Layla Miller, Hope, The Generation Hope team

ok i am game!
just to name a few

Sentry, Venom, Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Scarlet Spider(.. uh make that any spider clone!), Speedball, A-bomb,Daken, X-23, (.. uh make that any wolverine clone!)Apocalypse!

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head right now!:cwink:

I was going to say Xorn, but it wasn't the character that bothered me as much as all of the "it was Magneto, but not really, it was Xorn's brother pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn... I think." It was like he was a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

No bad characters, just bad writers.

Well, not saying I wanted them gone, but Marvel got rid of Sentry. They got rid of Ares, Daken, and it seems like when a character doesn't work out they end up killing off eventually maybe because fans don't care for them.

I was going to say Xorn, but it wasn't the character that bothered me as much as all of the "it was Magneto, but not really, it was Xorn's brother pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn... I think." It was like he was a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Xorn was a great character. Even better when he was revealed to be Magneto. Then they just pissed all over that.

ok i am game!
just to name a few

Sentry, Venom, Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Scarlet Spider(.. uh make that any spider clone!), Speedball, A-bomb,Daken, X-23, (.. uh make that any wolverine clone!)Apocalypse!

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head right now!:cwink:
Kind of curious why Apocalypse. I've always rather liked him as an X-Villain.

Well, not saying I wanted them gone, but Marvel got rid of Sentry. They got rid of Ares, Daken, and it seems like when a character doesn't work out they end up killing off eventually maybe because fans don't care for them.

Funny thing was that Daken was working. Rob Williams was doing solid work with the solo series that Way and Lui launched.

Some people might disagree on me with this but I dont like Ghost Rider. I think that charecter is lame, and its not just because of the movie, even though the movie sucked big time. But i think that charecter was terrible. But thats just my opinion.

Kind of curious why Apocalypse. I've always rather liked him as an X-Villain.
when Apoc came on the scene. he was suppose to be the next great big thing. changing angel into death. his 4 horsemen! all that. instead dude changed into another run of the mill filler villain of the week! his design was weak. his motivation was weak ( i still dont get what dude's powers are other than getting big and stating "the age of Apoc is upon you!" great villains have great motivation. For instance Magneto's time in Dachau concentration camp. you could see that dude being royally pissed the &^%$ off at humans, but Apoc... i got nothing! which brings me to
No bad characters, just bad writers.
i beg to differ "Count of Monty Cadavers" while that is true the basic premise of a good character needs to be there from the start. Eddie Brock was a steroid using goon who was pissed that parker expose him. Huh! come on man! it was just an excuse for that 90's black outfit people were so caught up on! that dude sucked from day one!maybe he's gotten better cause i stopped reading or caring about that dude when he started showing up fighting Iron Man. i think the initial character and motivation needs to be there for a good character and i know... CATMAN!:cwink:( but tell me you read any of that dude's stories till he got bad ass? hehe

Spider clones, Wolvie clones, Hulk rainbow clones, ironman clones, captain america clones...

there's so many bad photocopies of them characters it's not even funny.

Easy answer for me...it's Sam Alexander, maybe time will prove me wrong

Also Phyla-vell and Skrull-vell

Skrull-vell was just a total assinine botched storyline and one of the worst things marvel has ever done.

Phyla was the same but to a lesser degree. I don't resent her creation as much as what was done with her.

some others:

Wraith- why?
Spidercide
A-bomb

certainly with most on Sentry...although i liked the jenkins stuff as most do

Last edited:
Hope. I actually tried to like her. I thought Messiah Complex was great, and the hints that she could be Jean intrigued me. I even read Generation Hope and didn't mind it. But she was basically just a character to serve a specific plot point, and now that AvX is over she has nothing to contribute.

when Apoc came on the scene. he was suppose to be the next great big thing. changing angel into death. his 4 horsemen! all that. instead dude changed into another run of the mill filler villain of the week! his design was weak. his motivation was weak ( i still dont get what dude's powers are other than getting big and stating "the age of Apoc is upon you!" great villains have great motivation. For instance Magneto's time in Dachau concentration camp. you could see that dude being royally pissed the &^%$ off at humans, but Apoc... i got nothing! which brings me to i beg to differ "Count of Monty Cadavers" while that is true the basic premise of a good character needs to be there from the start. Eddie Brock was a steroid using goon who was pissed that parker expose him. Huh! come on man! it was just an excuse for that 90's black outfit people were so caught up on! that dude sucked from day one!maybe he's gotten better cause i stopped reading or caring about that dude when he started showing up fighting Iron Man. i think the initial character and motivation needs to be there for a good character and i know... CATMAN!:cwink:( but tell me you read any of that dude's stories till he got bad ass? hehe

I read when he was a loser woman beater and Green Arrow kicked his ass.

Anyway, that proves my point. Just because they start off s**t, doesn't mean they stay that way. All it takes is one writer, to take this lump of coal, and make it into a diamond. NO BAD CHARACTERS! Just Rob Leifields

i beg to differ "Count of Monty Cadavers" while that is true the basic premise of a good character needs to be there from the start. Eddie Brock was a steroid using goon who was pissed that parker expose him. Huh! come on man! it was just an excuse for that 90's black outfit people were so caught up on! that dude sucked from day one!maybe he's gotten better cause i stopped reading or caring about that dude when he started showing up fighting Iron Man. i think the initial character and motivation needs to be there for a good character and i know... CATMAN!:cwink:( but tell me you read any of that dude's stories till he got bad ass? hehe

Actually, Venom is an interesting idea for a character. Someone that can twist Peter Parker's whole identity around, know all of his secrets, have his powers, wear his costume, et cetera. That's a damn fine foundation for a new villain. When he showed up on the last page of AS#299, that was an all-time moment. It's hard to ask for a better introduction than the evil black-suited Spider-Man with teeth breaking into MJ's apartment. The 90's animated series probably did it best with Brock having motivation to hate the pompousness and smartassery of Spider-Man and things like Brock showing up at Aunt May's house, to owning Spidey and then threatening to go after MJ.

What are you talking about, it being an excuse for the "90s black outfit"? That had been around awhile before Brock showed up and had absolutely nothing to do with Venom.

Spider-Man. :awesome:

I was being facetious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"