what innovative changes can you do to reinvegorate the spiderman mythos?

i think we need to throw in a new villian someone like venom but like not with the symbiote but someone else and i think he needs someone new in his life

Pksoze said:
The problem with the totem stuff imo was that it really goes against what Ditko & Lee wanted to accomplish. Ditko...being an objectivist is probably not happy with how his characters have been mangled.

But the most famous character he helped create was Spidey & the guy went from a science (even if its comics pseudo science) to supernatural based entity. Having read up on Ditko & how integral he was to Spidey, I have to believe he wouldn't be pleased.

I think the totem concept was best when it was first introduced as something ambigous & not concrete.

I suppose. It's just, I don't see how Spidey being science based is vital for the character.

The Question said:
I suppose. It's just, I don't see how Spidey being science based is vital for the character.

It was important to his creator.

GoldenAgeHero said:
please do not list giving him a baby or bringing back ben reilly. i stories, taht has to deal with his persona.
SpiderDog.

Isn't it still random that he was selected to be the totem, any of us could have been selected to be the totem as we are all like Peter Parker - the everyday man. Bearing in mind he didn't know at the time he was being selected and becoming the totem.

It's like Books of Magic, Tim was told that he would become the worlds greatest magician, but he had to choose if he wanted to be that. He eventually chooses dispite everything he has seen to become that. However you then find out at the end that he really didn't have a choice, he had to become the greatest magician - he just had to seemingly choose the path to make him a better magician in the end.

Surley this is the same as Spider-Man we have a seemingly random event that Peter is led to believe was a random event in his life. We then find out many years later that it wasn't random and he was selected but it doesn't take anything away from the events.

Any of us could still be selected and any of us could still be in a seemingly random accident - because we are all like Peter Parker.

Baring in mind, I havn't read Spider-Man since before Sins Past, so I could be wrong. But I think the idea in principle doesn't hurt Spider-Man it is just how it has been implimented and the terrible storylines it has produced.

Zoken said:
Well I mentioned under the "OYL" thread that Peter, not Spider-Man but Peter, be invited/abducted by a "Think-Tank" headed by Doc Ock, the Mad Thinker, Dr. Doom, and Mr. Sinister. they would tell him that his test show the potenial for true genius intellect, and that they wish him to join them in creating a world without "Moronic, judgmental, false Champion" (They want to get rid of super-heroes). Peter prepares to say yes, just to spy on them, but then Dr. Doom instructs Otto to tell Peter the extremely interesting information they liberated from Osborne Industries. a memo regarding "Subject M.G.P" saying that "She is currently three years old and reading on a third grade level. the X-Gene has been detected, and they are proceeding with Mr. Osborne's instructions." Peter quickly realizes that "M.G.P." could very well be "May Gwendolyn Parker". Peter is given shown the possiblity that his daughter may be alive.

This generates more and more problems as Peter can't risk telling any of the Avengers about this, or even MJ, as These people mention that they have been watching him for some time. They don't yet realize he's Spider-Man, though Doom is dropping frightening hints that he may know. They also talk about other members such as Wilbur Day and Herman Shultz, but they are mentioned to be "Lower eschelon members." Otto seems to wish Peter to be there as an ally and a confidant. Even Otto realizes that he is in a room with snakes. He wants one person to trust.

freaking brilliant idea!!!!! i love it.

The Question said:
Way I see it, bring back baby May. Make him a dad. That's progression for ya'. And retcon out Aunt May's return from the dead. Her death was a great moment in Spider-Man history.

This is the smartest damn thing you ever said Q:eek:

Getting back to the original question in this thread, I would take away all the "innovative changes" to reinvegorate the Spidey mythos. First, show a Peter with confidence around the Avengers, a Peter that doesn't see himself as Tony Stark's sidekick or always in awe of Captain America, Spidey's been doing his thing for almost as long as these other heroes and has fought alongside them many times, I'm sick of seeing the writers portraying him like he's in his first year of the superhero business, it's insulting to the reader and the character. Second, take away the Iron Spidey suit, all the new powers and organic webbing. Maybe keep him in the Avengers, but take the Avengers out of the Spider-man books, have him ask Tony to rebuild the home in Forest Hills and have him, MJ and May living there. Finally, have the final Green Goblin story that will somewhat retcon things back before Gobby came back. This arc should do a number of things, kill May, kill the Norman Osbourne, bring baby May back, reveal that Gwen's kids were actually just regular kids manipulated into their thinking by Norman Osbourne and give Peter the final peace of mind to finally move past Gwen and be happy with the life he has.

Basically bring back the Spidey from before the clone saga.

This is just another F'in retcon. And that's not the spidey before the clone saga Aunt may died during and it was the best death ever. Why the hell must everyone refer to the clone saga when they want to be negative about spidey. It had it's faults (all marketing driven faults) but it was a great read:mad:

I am personally against Retconning. You have history, deal with it. okay, if you explain it away, or something, but making it just go away and never mentioning it again is just insulting to the reader in my opinion.

Thats why I'd want to bring back things like Kaine, and the old costumes (maybe have Spidey have some fun with the shapeshifting ablities of his new costume).

Hey Ramore, what did you specifically like about my "Think Tank" Idea? one of my regular fans didn't really go for it.

RAMORE said:
This is just another F'in retcon. And that's not the spidey before the clone saga Aunt may died during and it was the best death ever. Why the hell must everyone refer to the clone saga when they want to be negative about spidey. It had it's faults (all marketing driven faults) but it was a great read:mad:

Well, all a retcon is is changing things in the past retroactively. Like, bringing back Aunt May was a retcon, because they said she never actually died. That was bull, in my personal opinion. So, were I to take over, I'd have it turn out that Aunt May actually died, and the Aunt May living with them is a highly realistic clone made by Osborn. I would kill off Osborn, and have it so the clone is programed to self terminate in the event of Osborn's death.

The Question said:

nor do i see him being supernaturally based is vital for his character either. everything lee explained was perfect the way it was. it diodnt need this "direction".

The Question said:
Well, all a retcon is is changing things in the past retroactively. Like, bringing back Aunt May was a retcon, because they said she never actually died. That was bull, in my personal opinion. So, were I to take over, I'd have it turn out that Aunt May actually died, and the Aunt May living with them is a highly realistic clone made by Osborn. I would kill off Osborn, and have it so the clone is programed to self terminate in the event of Osborn's death.

uhhh why does osborn have to be the cause of everything, arghhhhhhhhh!!! it should be the jackal who cloned aunt may or someone else, just not osborn.

Zoken said:
I am personally against Retconning. You have history, deal with it. okay, if you explain it away, or something, but making it just go away and never mentioning it again is just insulting to the reader in my opinion.

Thats why I'd want to bring back things like Kaine, and the old costumes (maybe have Spidey have some fun with the shapeshifting ablities of his new costume).

Hey Ramore, what did you specifically like about my "Think Tank" Idea? one of my regular fans didn't really go for it.

no!! all clones shoyuld just stay dead.

Zoken said:

I agree with you on this. My job as a writer on Spiderman isnt to fix what I deem is bad in Spiderman history(which is why we have these new things added to the myth) but to tell entertaining stories. Peter will be back in the red and blue with a few of the webbing modifications that Ben made. Will Peter use his stingers..probably not....however I like the idea of the totems and I'd use that to enhance his foes. Imagine a Scorpion that is powered by the scorpion avatar......or a Vulture that is a scary threat rather than a joke.

roach said:
I agree with you on this. My job as a writer on Spiderman isnt to fix what I deem is bad in Spiderman history(which is why we have these new things added to the myth) but to tell entertaining stories. Peter will be back in the red and blue with a few of the webbing modifications that Ben made. Will Peter use his stingers..probably not....however I like the idea of the totems and I'd use that to enhance his foes. Imagine a Scorpion that is powered by the scorpion avatar......or a Vulture that is a scary threat rather than a joke.

great god:rolleyes::down JMS has brainwashed you,

seriously what would be the need for a scorpion avatar?, oh hey scorpion, guess what? what? remember when jameson had you mutate into the scorpion with the help of alyster smithe? yeah? well your not going to believe this, but heh it all turned out you were destined to be scorpion ain't that a riot? so yeah i guess this avatar of yours were mind controlling jameson and the kingpin! wtf?lol you are the roxxors:down

GoldenAgeHero said:
great god:rolleyes::down JMS has brainwashed you,

seriously what would be the need for a scorpion avatar?, oh hey scorpion, guess what? what? remember when jameson had you mutate into the scorpion with the help of alyster smithe? yeah? well your not going to believe this, but heh it all turned out you were destined to be scorpion ain't that a riot? so yeah i guess this avatar of yours were mind controlling jameson and the kingpin! wtf?lol you are the roxxors:down

oh you mean the scorpion Spidey beats with his eyes closed....:down

I am talking about getting Spidey's villains back to the point where he can barely win

and that Scorpion has been replaced by a little girl

roach said:
oh you mean the scorpion Spidey beats with his eyes closed....:down

I am talking about getting Spidey's villains back to the point where he can barely win

and that Scorpion has been replaced by a little girl

it's called better wrting, not making scorpion based on a stupid avatar.

that doesnt even matter, since the scorpion havent even been in a spidey book since god knows win.

all of Spidey's villains save for Goblin and Doc Ock are jokes...they are the guys he beats in his spare time between Goblin and Doc Ock appearances

roach said:
all of Spidey's villains save for Goblin and Doc Ock are jokes...they are the guys he beats in his spare time between Goblin and Doc Ock appearances

so write them better, you dont need a a mystical avatar to make a character interesting. look at what geoff johns has done with the flash rogues without making heatwave based on a goddamn avatar.

GoldenAgeHero said:
nor do i see him being supernaturally based is vital for his character either. everything lee explained was perfect the way it was. it diodnt need this "direction".

Never said it was vital. But it doesn't really hurt anything either.

GoldenAgeHero said:
uhhh why does osborn have to be the cause of everything, arghhhhhhhhh!!! it should be the jackal who cloned aunt may or someone else, just not osborn.

.......because Osborn was the one holding Aunt May and supposedly faked her death in the first place. It wouldn't make any sense if he weren't behind it.

roach said:

Actually, it was explained that the reason all the animal based villains Spidey has fought hate Spidey more than anyone else is because, subconsciously, they realize that Spidey is the real deal, and they're just pretenders. And really, you don't need to amp their powers to make them cooler.

GoldenAgeHero said:
so write them better, you dont need a a mystical avatar to make a character interesting. look at what geoff johns has done with the flash rogues without making heatwave based on a goddamn avatar.

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"