The Dark Knight What is Batman Strength level?

The Question said:
Even that seems like a bit much for Batman. Like I've said, he's got a fighter's build. He'd probably only be able to bench about 250/300, if you want to talk realistically here.

I don't consider this to be just a fighter's build.

JLeeBM.jpg

Which is one of the reasons why I don't like Jim Lee's Batman. I highly doubt anyone with those kinds of muscles could be as agile as Batman is depicted to be. And I also highly doubt that anyone who was that could an acrobat would be strong enough to bench 725 punds. The people who draw and write Batman like that clearly don't have a very good understanding as to how the human body works.

The Question said:
Which is one of the reasons why I don't like Jim Lee's Batman. I highly doubt anyone with those kinds of muscles could be as agile as Batman is depicted to be. And I also highly doubt that anyone who was that could an acrobat would be strong enough to bench 725 punds. The people who draw and write Batman like that clearly don't have a very good understanding as to how the human body works.

Again, agility isn't a function of size, but strength ratioed against weight. Just take a look at the average NBA game. Most of those players are showing amazing amounts of agility for people who are almost 7'0 on average.

If Batman can bench 725 lbs, weighing 230 or 250 lbs isn't going to be affect him much in terms of agility.

I should add that he isn't the most agile, because Dick beats him out on that. He's just simply agile and fast for his size because his movements are so practiced.

Yeah, but bats has still been shown to be pretty damn agile. And someone witha build like that drawn by Jim Lee isn't going to be as agile as Bruce is supposed to be. Remember, muscle weighs about twice as much as fat.

The Question said:
Yeah, but bats has still been shown to be pretty damn agile. And someone witha build like that drawn by Jim Lee isn't going to be as agile as Bruce is supposed to be. Remember, muscle weighs about twice as much as fat.

Again, his personal movements have been so well practiced that he moves without thinking, which helps his agility.

Also, being so strong, he's not hampered by his size or weight.

War Lord said:
He also has a doctorate in physiology.

He also popped his own knee back into place when he popped it during a strongman competition.

It must have hurt.

This may date me a bit but I remember seeing that. He was carrying a refirgerator on his back. Ranked up there with Theisman's ankle in worst sports related injuries.

Salemdog said:
This may date me a bit but I remember seeing that. He was carrying a refirgerator on his back. Ranked up there with Theisman's ankle in worst sports related injuries.

If I remember correctly, he hit a pothole when he popped that knee.

Ruf Chiyuuk said:
I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish.
I'm not even half of that man's size and I'm already being told that I need to work on my lower back area.

... it's an important part and his seems abnormally small.
As a matter of fact, it's not the only thing that looks "abnormal" about him.

Well, as long as he's happy... who gives a damn, right?

Well..it wasn't that his lower back was so small but his upper back was so big. Just an incredible lat spread. This might help a bit with the perspective..

A shot from the front..he's actually a bit thick waisted..
franco_columbo.jpg

and a idea of his power..
franco-columbu-a.jpg

War Lord said:
Again, his personal movements have been so well practiced that he moves without thinking, which helps his agility.

He'd still have to be pretty damn agile to do it in the first place.

War Lord said:
Also, being so strong, he's not hampered by his size or weight.

Yeah, it kind of does. Remember, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. And the stronger he is, the bulkyer he'll be. And bulk makes you less flexible. And flexibility plays an important role in agility. There's not way I can see that someone who can bench 725 punds or even 540 pounds would be able to do all the acrobatic stuff that Batman can do. More often then not, Batman is drawn with a build like this:

2627cb50.gif

Strong, but not so muscley that he's too bulky. A fighter's build. Because that's what Batman is. A fighter. Too much muscle, he's too slow. So, he wouldn't aim for the 540 or 725 pound marks. Writers who have Batman being able to do all that stuff is just them wanting to make him look cool without really thinking.

The Question said:
He'd still have to be pretty damn agile to do it in the first place.

He is agile, very much so, for his size.

Yeah, it kind of does. Remember, muscle weighs twice as much as fat. And the stronger he is, the bulkyer he'll be. And bulk makes you less flexible. And flexibility plays an important role in agility. There's not way I can see that someone who can bench 725 punds or even 540 pounds would be able to do all the acrobatic stuff that Batman can do. More often then not, Batman is drawn with a build like this:

The only reason why weighing 230 lbs (I'm choosing the weight he really should be at, as opposed to official DC stats) would slow him down, is if he wasn't as strong as he is. However, since he is that strong, his bulk isn't the same level of concern than another man who weighed that much, but wasn't that strong.

Another thing you should consider, that suit he wears isn't just a nylon based suit lined with kevlar. It's also fairly high tech that assists his strength and agility and endurance.

2627cb50.gif

Strong, but not so muscley that he's too bulky. A fighter's build. Because that's what Batman is. A fighter. Too much muscle, he's too slow. So, he wouldn't aim for the 540 or 725 pound marks. Writers who have Batman being able to do all that stuff is just them wanting to make him look cool without really thinking.

This simply reflects your desire and bias, not who Batman is. You have stated that you want Batman to be less than how DC defines him and that he should get defeated occasionally. I think your complaint reflects this bias.

Salemdog said:
Oh..I dont know..
Ken-Shamrock-(chest).jpg
;)
Img118.jpg

200px-Couture.jpg

Batman as depicted by Jim Lee is larger than the gents you provided.

His arms, chest and legs are much bigger than these gents.

Orko Is King said:
Well, he's supposedly in peak physical condition, so I'd wager he can bench 250-300.

I must disagree, considering my brother is 160 lbs and can bench 345 lbs...lol...

Therefore Batman/Bruce being 210 at the MAX HUMAN PHYSICAL PEAK!...

I would say...he should be able to bench...400 - 500 lbs...

EDIT: Mathematically...my brother benches 2.16 lbs per pound on his body.

THEREFORE: 2.16 x 210 (Batman's weight) = 453.6

EDIT: I myself (being 185lbs at the time) benched 205 lbs twice (without ever working out a single day of my life).

--dk7

War Lord said:
The only reason why weighing 230 lbs (I'm choosing the weight he really should be at, as opposed to official DC stats) would slow him down, is if he wasn't as strong as he is. However, since he is that strong, his bulk isn't the same level of concern than another man who weighed that much, but wasn't that strong.

Thing is, if he's as bulky as Jim Lee draws him, he'd weigh a bit more that 230. And even if he is incredibly string, his bulk is still going to hinder his agility. It'll slow him down, mess up his balance, and keep him from jumping particularly high. Logically speaking, that is.

War Lord said:
Another thing you should consider, that suit he wears isn't just a nylon based suit lined with kevlar. It's also fairly high tech that assists his strength and agility and endurance.

No it doesn't. It's just a nylon/nomex weave lined with kevlar. It's never increased his strength, agility, and endurance. In Batman Beyond, yeah, but in the comics it's just highly tear resistant (and in some areas bulletproof) fabric.

War Lord said:
This simply reflects your desire and bias, not who Batman is. You have stated that you want Batman to be less than how DC defines him and that he should get defeated occasionally. I think your complaint reflects this bias.

May not be who Batman is, but it is who Batman was.

darknight7 said:
I must disagree, considering my brother is 160 lbs and can bench 345 lbs...lol...

Therefore Batman/Bruce being 210 at the MAX HUMAN PHYSICAL PEAK!...

I would say...he should be able to bench...400 - 500 lbs...

EDIT: Mathematically...my brother benches 2.16 lbs per pound on his body.

THEREFORE: 2.16 x 210 (Batman's weight) = 453.6

--dk7

But then, you have to take his speed and agility into acount. He'd have to sacrifice some of his strength for speed and agility. So, I'd say around 300 pounds makes sense.

The Question said:
But then, you have to take his speed and agility into acount. He'd have to sacrifice some of his strength for speed and agility. So, I'd say around 300 pounds makes sense.

Not to be rude: But why would you take away speed and agility. This guy TRAINED HIS WHOLE LIFE. My brother (being able to bench what he can bench) is still one of the fastest people I know "IN PERSON". He can hit me 5 times before I know it, his punches/kicks are like throwing bolders at my face, and he can do the splits. STILL, able to bench 345lbs.

PS: My bro trained Tae Kwan Doe/Kung Fu for 6 years and worked out for 10 years and is capable of all these things today. Therefore, there is no need to take away speed and agility, Batman would be benching 400-500 lbs, able to throw kicks and punches faster than expected from a man his size, and would be quick and agile.

--dk7

There seems to be a back and forth on the speed and agility vs. strength. Perhaps a look at combine scores with athletes of a similiar height and weight to compare with the stats of Batman might help. The following is in order of height, weight, 40 yd dash, vertical jump, long jump, bench press reps with 225, shuttle and cone drills.

[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Peter Sirmon[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Oregon[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-7/8[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]246[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.84[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]34-1/2"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'7"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]20[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.27[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]7.21[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Marcus Bell[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Arizona[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-5/8[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]237[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.78[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]31-1/2"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'3"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]21[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.33[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]7.17[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Ian Gold[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Michigan[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-1/8[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]221[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.58[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]33"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'7"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]21[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.19[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6.97[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Dashon Polk[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Arizona[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-7/8[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]233[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.73[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]32"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'3"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]18[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.45[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]7.43[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Brian Gray[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Brigham Young[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-1/4[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]214[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.95[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]33-1/2"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'8"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]19[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.24[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]7.38[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Rogers Beckett[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Marshall[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-1/2[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]207[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.62[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]39-1/2"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'11"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]15[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.29[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6.46[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Tinker Keck[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Cincinnati[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1-1/4[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]200[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.59[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]36-1/2"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]10'0"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]15[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.31[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6.96[/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Erik Olson[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Colorado State[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6-1[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]206[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.58[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]35"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]9'7"[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]17[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]4.21[/FONT][FONT=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]6.61[/FONT]

Hope this helps on the perspective.

My apologies on the stats. To help the first should read

6'1 7/8 246 4.84 34 1/2 9'7" 20 4.27 7.21

darknight7 said:
Not to be rude: But why would you take away speed and agility. This guy TRAINED HIS WHOLE LIFE. My brother (being able to bench what he can bench) is still one of the fastest people I know "IN PERSON". He can hit me 5 times before I know it, his punches/kicks are like throwing bolders at my face, and he can do the splits. STILL, able to bench 345lbs.

PS: My bro trained Tae Kwan Doe/Kung Fu for 6 years and worked out for 10 years and is capable of all these things today. Therefore, there is no need to take away speed and agility, Batman would be benching 400-500 lbs, able to throw kicks and punches faster than expected from a man his size, and would be quick and agile.

--dk7

Just because you've trained for a long time doesn't mean you'll be much stronger than you were a few years earlyer. There comes a point where you have to sacrifice strength for speed and agility or vice versa. That's just how the body works. In fact, the way you described your brother sounds about right for Batman.

I don't imagine Batman to be much stronger or a better fighter then Ra's.

Some people are getting carried away here...
First of all, we shouldn't try to use pictures of Batman to show his physiology, as there are way too many different interpretations of him in order to be able to stay completely objective here. I think everyone will agree on this, no?

He can go from this...
batman.jpg

To this... and more.
er03batman1.jpg

... and his "official stats" will always remain the same.

From a logical standpoint, Batman wouldn't try to get as big as possible, as it would affect his mouvements and agility in a negative way. We all know that he has done tons or martial arts training and to my knowledge, none of them ( that I'm aware of ) prones huge muscles... I think that Bruce Wayne is smart enough to know that's not the way to go anyway. His strength comes from within him, as well as from experience... I think that anyone who'd want to do his kind of "job" would never put emphasis on training with 700 lbs lifts and such.

Plus, although it might just be nitpicking, I think that it's more "realistic" if he's not that muscle bound, as he is still Bruce Wayne in his everyday life... he has to maintain the illusion. He fights all night and hardly gets any sleep, all his energy goes to fighting crime, which leads me to believe he's not some abnormal super powered lifter... at all.

The Question said:
Just because you've trained for a long time doesn't mean you'll be much stronger than you were a few years earlyer. There comes a point where you have to sacrifice strength for speed and agility or vice versa. That's just how the body works. In fact, the way you described your brother sounds about right for Batman.

Hmm, once again, not to be rude, but you kind of confused me with your arguement.

But what I am trying to say is, being able to see my brother do all these things, at 5'7 160lbs, makes it easy for me to beleive that Batman would be agile, fast and strong all at once. I don't beleive he would lose anything, because his body would be at the max human peak. He would be strong from training, allowing him to lift weights from 1 - (AT LEAST) 450lbs, at his size and weight, 6'2, 210lbs. Yet he would be just as agile as ever because he is doing cardio practically everynight for who knows how many hours, and he has to be able to throw fast/swift/strong shots as well.

Personally Batman would be just as fast as he is strong. I don't beleive there would be any deductions. Like I said before, my brother is fast as ever, and strong as ever. Seeing a real human being do what my bro can do, makes me beleive that someone with a more weight and training, could do alot more. lol.

Just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong:) :up: , just how I see things.

--dk7

Yes. But what I was saying is that I'd think your brother is about at the limit of the balance between strength and speed. So, I'd think that Batman would be at roughly the same level as your brother. As you get stronger, it eventually gets to the point where you have to sacrifice speed and agility for strength. That is a fact. The kind of people who can bench press 500 pounds are huge and bulky. Not agile at all, and only fast in terms of sprinting (like football players).

The Question said:
Yes. But what I was saying is that I'd think your brother is about at the limit of the balance between strength and speed. So, I'd think that Batman would be at roughly the same level as your brother. As you get stronger, it eventually gets to the point where you have to sacrifice speed and agility for strength. That is a fact. The kind of people who can bench press 500 pounds are huge and bulky. Not agile at all, and only fast in terms of sprinting (like football players).

You make sense:) , and yes I can agree with you on most levels. And I still beleive my own opinion as well, But at the same time, if we were to look at it how you say...than:

Bro: 160lbs (benches 345lbs)

Batman: 210 (benches 385lbs)

Because, if you add the 40lbs difference onto the bench, it will add up to 385lbs. But I am willing to bet, that Batman would be at least to put up 400lbs once. Like in a life threatening situation when he is trapped under a 400lbs peice of something, he could lift it up. But other than that, I would say 400lbs is probably Batman's limit.

What do you think Question?

--dk7

I also agree Batman benching 700 is crazy, carried away, and stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"