When do you think Fox will announce the sequel?

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Angamb, Jul 3, 2011.

?

When will Fox announce the sequel?

1. - When FC reaches $200M in the Foreign market

2. - With the final worldwide gross

3. - After DVD release, with the great sales

4. - After The Wolverine release and first weeks gross

5. - Later

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

With Deadpool, one option is to keep the budget really low. It's also likely to be called X-Men Origins: Deadpool to tie it to the franchise.

The other option is to make it more of an X-Men flick with wider appeal. The leaked script already included Colossus.

Seems logical but it all depends on the box office performance of whatever they do next. They've never been willing to commit to several films and plan a structure for the entire franchise.

2. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

If there is another one, I'd fully expect it to follow in the path of G.I. Joe 2 and only have 2 or 3 actors (at the most) returning.

3. blueserenity

blueserenity Well-Known Member

IIRC, all or almost all of the actors are contractually obligated to do three movies should FOX so choose to make sequels. And even if they weren't obligated, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender's enthusiasm for the movie would ensure at least THEIR return (McAvoy in particular has come off as just as desperate for a sequel as the rest of us). Keep them and Jennifer Lawrence and beyond that I don't care. I'd actually love it if January Jones couldn't be back for the next one, she put a damper on every scene she was in.

4. FilmNerdJamie

All the G.I. Joe actors had a multi-picture contract too, and yet only 3 of them are coming back. Contracts can, and regularly are, torn apart in this business.

Showing enthusiasm doing the press-junkets doesn't mean anything either. Just ask Shia LaBeouf who talked up how great Indiana Jones 4, Transformers 2 and Wall Street 2 were and a year later, openly-talked up how bad they were.

5. blueserenity

blueserenity Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But I will say that at least McAvoy's enthusiasm seems rather genuine. From what I've read he's seen the movie at least three times on his own dime, and in an interview admitted he had spent 50$ on seeing it. That's more than I'VE spent on it.

Also I think if they couldn't secure the two leads for a sequel they wouldn't make it at all. Fassbender and McAvoy are what make the movie so good.

6. merbass

merbass Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  7. merbass

merbass Well-Known Member

GI Joe actors were not memorable and the movie was soo bad. It would nor be wise to not have James, Michael, Jennifer (3 of the hot stars) and other up and coming supporting characters back. Thrown in 1 or 2 big names as villains. It could work in the same formula as X2 with some characters injured or killed etc.

8. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

I think we'll be getting rumours, quotes from crew and cast and more during the next months, and after the dvd gets released, Fox will finally make an official announcement.

9. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Well-Known Member

Its box office gross was obviously a disappointment. It won't even reach the gross of the first film and that's without inflation. Fox is waiting to see how the DVD/bluray sales are before they make an announcement.

Usually for greenlighting a sequel it does. Some examples of movies that had plans for a franchise and did great overseas yet never saw a sequel;

The Golden Compass 70 M domestic | 302 M Overseas
    Prince of Persia 90 M domestic | 244 M Overseas
    Godzilla 136 M domestic | 242 Overseas

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the film. Box office does not equate quality.

10. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

princes of persia got all that money from foreign market?

I thought it didnt worked so well...

11. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

The only person I could see not coming back would be Jennifer Lawrence. She'll have a new franchise in Hunger Games and I'll bet that blue makeup is a bear to have put on.

12. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

She'll be a bigger star by second class....

but she still signed the contract, so she'll do the sequel, I think.

13. FilmNerdJamie

Contracts can and are torn up on a regular basis. Joseph Gordon Levitt was signed up for G.I. Joe sequels but got himself outta his contract.

14. JP

JP Smelly

Fox is a different studio. If they don't use her option on anothe X-Men film, they'll cetainly use it to keep her out of another potential blockbuster.

15. FilmNerdJamie

Yeah, like they kept Ellen Page from doing Inception because she was still under contract for X-Men sequels?

Seriously, people. Fox wasn't a big boogeyman against quality films. We just saw them wise up and leave Vaughn and Singer alone to make First Class into a great flick.

16. PWN3R

PWN3R Instagram:@Mannie_Bothans

If Lawrence opted to jump that contract loophole, ala JGL, that would be a damn shame. Her relationship with McAvoy's Xavier was my favorite aspect of the film.

They better ALL come back, dammit.

17. akfj

akfj Well-Known Member

Lawrence will definitely have to wear the full-body make-up a lot more in the sequel. That may make the idea of doing a sequel unappealing for her. But, it is likely if she signed on for sequels that she knew of that ahead of time, and feels alright with it.

18. FilmNerdJamie

She signed on well before her career went to 11 with the Oscar nomination for Winter's Bone and landing Hunger Games. For all we know she hated wearing blue makeup but it doesn't matter. Being in a big franchise film like X-Men looked like the best thing she'd ever get. At that given time.

If she wants out and has a good enough agent, she'll get out of her contract and they'll just throw Rebecca Romijn back into the role.

19. X-Maniac

The Golden Compass earned NOTHING from overseas ticket sales because the studio sold off all the foreign distribution rights.

* Anyone else annoyed by the adverts for cleaning products at the bottom of the page, which cannot be turned off! :cmad:

20. the a1ant

the a1ant Awesome

I think the cast would gladly come back if it's the same creative team. Lawrence will probably want a much bigger increase in pay, which would make sense.

One thing First Class has going for it is that it was well received, critically. Fox should capitalize on that and move forward with a sequel. I think the profit would be much better, ala X1 to X2 to X3.

21. X-Maniac

The role is so dependent on make-up and prosthetics that it could be recast if necessary. Especially now that Mystique has declared herself 'mutant and proud' which means her Jennifer Lawrence human guise has been abandoned for good.

In any event, it's too early for decisions on cast and director.

22. Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider Well-Known Member

But they never made an X4 to use Ellen Page, so why would they have objected to her doing Inception?

A better example would be Emily Blunt.

Marvel wanted her badly to play Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and subsequent Marvel films and she really wanted it as well. They offered her the role and she would have taken it (and publicly expressed her interest in the role) but Fox had her under contract to do Gulliver's Travels and they wouldn't budge. Blunt had no choice but to drop out and the role went to Scarlett Johansson.

If Fox has an actor under contract and they want them back, they'll enforce it, just like they did with Blunt.

23. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Well-Known Member

Alan Cummings signed on for sequels for Nightcrawler, but they eventually decided not to include him in X-Men: The Last Stand because he cried and moaned and *****ed about the makeup every opportunity he got.

24. JP

JP Smelly

Yet he was ready and willing to come back for X3.

25. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Well-Known Member

Cuz he would have had to. But that didn't stop him from *****ing about it the whole time.

But yes... he did clear his schedule to allow for him to film X-Men: The Last Stand, and then they didn't even use him.

My point was in response to the person saying Jennifer Lawrence must be okay with the makeup process since she signed on for a sequel. That doesn't mean anything. Alan Cummings signed on for a sequel, and he was not okay with the makeup process.