Days of Future Past When do you think Fox will announce the sequel?

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score
For those who think there will be a sequel, what do you think Fox is waiting for to announce it?

Taking into account the possible scenarios:

- First Class reaching more than $200 M internationally
- When they have the final numbers of FC in threatres.
- With the possible great sales of the DVD in the first week/s
- With the final numbers of the DVD sales
- After The Wolverine release and first weeks gross

I'm not sure if it'll be with the Wolverine's release, but I don't think they'll announce anything on First Class until most of the uncertainty about Wolverine has been dispelled--I think they may announce about when Wolverine starts filming.

A sequel isn't guaranteed.

The numbers weren't great in the states (where it matters) and home video sales don't ensure sequels. That market is on the decline.

who said the domestic gross is what matter the most?

And specially when the movie will end with more than $200 M. in the foreign market.

The numbers weren't great in the states (where it matters) and home video sales don't ensure sequels. That market is on the decline.

If this summer has taught us anything it's that international box office is king. Hangover 2, Pirates, Fast Five, X-Men, Rio and Kung Fu Panda have all had 55%+ of their box office come from overseas. Same will happen with Transformers and Harry Potter.

International money is more important than ever, so if X-Men can make $200+ overseas then that's a big incentive for Fox will make another. They're going to make another X-Men movie anyway, so it might as well be a follow on to First Class. Under-performing by $20 million or so in the US can easily be made up for with a sequel.

Pirates 4 hasn't made its $250m budget back in the US yet either. But it's still reached $1billion worldwide. You can bet that billion dollar total has to be significant to someone at Disney...

The overseas market has to matter - unless a studio sells off all foreign distribution rights (like The Golden Compass did) - or why bother at all? And DVD/Blu-ray (and film rentals) do matter too, or why bother?

I'd love to hear from a few studio chiefs about the importance, or non-importance, of the overseas film sales, just to get clear how they regard it.

When they will learn that X men is not only about Wolverine and if "the wolverine" is a critical flop.

When they will learn that X men is not only about Wolverine and if "the wolverine" is a critical flop.

That already happened. Well at least in the first movie anyway. Being a critical flop seems to be pretty irrelevant these days. If it mattered then Pirates 4 would be begging for money and First Class would be rolling in it.

My vote goes to "after the DVD sales". Really hoping they pump the DVD/Bluray full of special features so that even the pirates are willing to spend money on it.

That already happened. Well at least in the first movie anyway. Being a critical flop seems to be pretty irrelevant these days. If it mattered then Pirates 4 would be begging for money and First Class would be rolling in it.

My vote goes to "after the DVD sales". Really hoping they pump the DVD/Bluray full of special features so that even the pirates are willing to spend money on it.

That's true but it is sad that while the Wolverine(x men is more about team work) films butcher the reputation of the franchise. It is the first class continuity that has to save the franchise with a lot of pressure and bad advertisement.

In other words, the FC movies do the wet work and the Wolverine films get the glory.

Last edited:
Prolly soon after it's out of all theaters...so I'd say by the end of November they'll give us an answer..

I think it's possible that FOX will wait for Wolverine's returns before making a decision. I hope the franchise won't rest on Jackman's bankability though.

I don't think they will wait until Wolverine is out (late 2012/2013). Regardless of how successful The Wolverine is (same as Origins probably) Hugh Jackman won't be playing him for much longer. The future of the franchise is with the First Class cast (or X4 if they go that route).

If First Class makes $60-70 million+ from DVD/Blu-ray sales like Wolverine did Fox will probably know whether they're making a sequel.

After The Wolverine.

Next X-Movie is The Wolverine. Then I think they must choose if Deadpool or a First Class' sequel. But, well, after The Wolverine (or when they're in post-production).

If First Class makes $60-70 million+ from DVD/Blu-ray sales like Wolverine did Fox will probably know whether they're making a sequel.

Electrix, where could I see the dvd sales of the previous x-men movies?

is there any specific site that post the general dvd sales? movies sales, I mean

You can get DVD sales figures at http://www.the-numbers.com/, but it seems that their sales figures for the X-Men movies only go as far back as The Last Stand. It lists $103,761,609 in DVD sales for The Last Stand, and $76,146,794 in DVD sales for Wolverine.

However, by searching on the internet I was able to find that the combined sales of the original X-Men DVD release and X-Men 1.5 combined for $180 million in sales, and as of late 2003 X2 made $107 million in DVD sales and was projected to approach the film's theatrical gross in DVD sales. The reference for that is here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117896371?refCatId=20

Last edited:
They need to hurry to and just announce one if we are getting one so I can rest easy at night

They need to announce one cause First Class rocked. I wonder what they'd call a sequel.

You can get DVD sales figures at http://www.the-numbers.com/, but it seems that their sales figures for the X-Men movies only go as far back as The Last Stand. It lists $103,761,609 in DVD sales for The Last Stand, and $76,146,794 in DVD sales for Wolverine.

However, by searching on the internet I was able to find that the combined sales of the original X-Men DVD release and X-Men 1.5 combined for $180 million in sales, and as of late 2003 X2 made $107 million in DVD sales and was projected to approach the film's theatrical gross in DVD sales. The reference for that is here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117896371?refCatId=20

thanks, akfj.

I found the-numbers site some hours ago and saw the X3 sales.

but didnt know the variety link.

:cwink:

We've learned that the studio is "discussing sequels internally."

While there is not yet any formal announcement of a follow-up, it does show interest in continuing First Class rather than leaving it as a standalone origin tale.

Executives are said to be very pleased with what Matthew Vaughn achieved with the film. It scored an 87 per cent overall rating on the review aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes and has, to date, amassed $335million worldwide in just over four weeks on release. The budget is reported as $160million, reduced by tax concessions to about $135m, which has now been recouped from domestic (USA) earnings.

First Class has been the mutants' second highest earner (after X-Men: The Last Stand) in terms of overseas ticket sales.

Source: http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/

It should be like this

July 2012 - The Wolverine
May 2013 - X-Men: First Class sequel
May 2015 - X-Men 4

This is 20th Century Fox, not Marvel Studios, remember...

They can afford to keep multiple X-men films in development, unlike a smaller studio like Marvel.

They can get their ducks in a row and greenlight, begin pre-production on an X-men: First Class sequel while The Wolverine is off shooting in Japan.

Following the release of The Wolverine I can see them beginning production on an X4 almost immediately, especially if The Wolverine is a success....Jackman's not going to be in his 40's forever....

All the while, I can see Deadpool being made, somewhat independently in the meantime (Reynolds may see his schedule open up without the expected Green Lantern sequel...)

My hope, also, is that if Bryan Singer is producing the X-men: First Class films and in the director's chair for the X4 film, that he'll maybe work the continuity together somehow. Maybe even involve time travel between stories, or just set things up or mention things in the prequels that pays off to an extent in the later films in modern time....they would have a rare advantage of being the first team to be making prequels and sequels at the SAME time.....I say utilize that and embrace it.

2011- X-men: First Class
2012- The Wolverine
2014- X-men: First Class sequel Deadpool
2015- X4

-R

Just to add that The Wolverine going into production etc hasn't even been formally announced yet...

Jackman spoke on that radio show but Fox is no doubt holding back until they have everything signed and sealed.

We don't often see Fox press releases on these sorts of things anyway.

In my opinion, Deadpool is far off now. If FC hasn't been a hugeeee hit like they had hoped then what is the chance of Deadpool being a hit ?

The Wolverine is coming out next for sure and I feel they will do X-men Second class and Third class and finish its story arc then they can move on to X4 and X5. Storm can get older cos she was older in the comic anyway. Hugh Jackman aged well so I don't see a problem. Don't forget that Anna, Ben and even Aaron are more popular than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"