Which FF member is best suited for a solo movie?

CaptainStacy said:
Hmmm. Seems like fans find Reed Richards the least interesting of the group....

i don't necessarily find him uninteresting i just don't think he's a solo kind of guy...Right now i'm reading the MK Morrison*Lee arc where Reed is doing some very powerful fighting w/ his own mind....very interesting stuff now that i've gotten into this arc....was alittle afraid too after looking at the artwork....not what i've come to know in the MK series....but the story is very interesting....and extremely hard to understand if you really don't concentrate on the reading....

and again....let me say that i actually don't think any of them should have a solo movie...they are they F4 and thats how they should stay....:)

JMAfan said:
i don't necessarily find him uninteresting i just don't think he's a solo kind of guy...Right now i'm reading the MK Morrison*Lee arc where Reed is doing some very powerful fighting w/ his own mind....very interesting stuff now that i've gotten into this arc....was alittle afraid too after looking at the artwork....not what i've come to know in the MK series....but the story is very interesting....and extremely hard to understand if you really don't concentrate on the reading....

and again....let me say that i actually don't think any of them should have a solo movie...they are they F4 and thats how they should stay....:)

Yeah, Reed was in some solo action in the beginning of the current arc by JMS that was pretty good too. But i can agree that if done properly, he could come off as too cerebral to entertain a mainstream audience.

I aslo agree the four should remain together on the big screen for the forseeable future.

Cypher said:
Yeah! We need a Torch/Thing Spinoff movie :D

Can't they just edit Sue & Reed out of the orginal movie?

Johnny might actually make an interesting solo figure, but quite honestly, they're all at their best when they're together. The infighting, the love, the teamwork, the irritation and the loyalty...they make each other what they are. In a solo movie I think any of the four would be diminished.

Well, two of the four, Reed and Ben, have very interesting backstories that might be worth fleshing out a bit....such a storyline probably would never be attempted in an FF feature film, although i personally feel that a bit more of Ben's earlier life could be briefly touched on...possibly in conversation with Alicia.

earlyfan said:
Johnny might actually make an interesting solo figure, but quite honestly, they're all at their best when they're together. The infighting, the love, the teamwork, the irritation and the loyalty...they make each other what they are. In a solo movie I think any of the four would be diminished.

b-i-n-g-o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing, wouldn't mind a Doom spin off.

None!...I've always enjoyed the Fatnastic Four, best, as a team. each characters has a composite, so different from the others, that only together, have they every painted a complete picture for me. The Avengers and Xmen can do solo stories much better, so I can only hope that stays true.

Johnny...the brash side
Ben...stoic and a torture, although, not as much as in the past
Reed...brillant, and sometimes absent-minded
Sue...motherly but independent and fierce!

Fantastic Four is really one of the best teams in print, as they provide near flawless balance.

FooYu said:
The thing, wouldn't mind a Doom spin off.

Well....thing is, they changed him so much from the comics....i dunno, maybe they could still incorporate the gypsy background, and the death of his parents into a spin off movie, then just show him coming to America and starting a science research facility from there.......it might be ok.

i'm going to stand up one more time and scream from the highest mountain top that they are a family, a team........as individuals they are at their weakest point.....they are at their strongest when they work together.....no solo movies for any of them......you break the Fantastic Four up you destroy what makes them different from all the other comics....and they become just another superhero....

And again; i agree...to a point. However, even going back to the Lee & Kirby era, both Ben and Johnny often had solo adventures. That IS a part of their history, as much as the family aspect...

I would never want the team to "break up" per se, but sometime after the fourth of fifth FF movie, i wouldnt be opposed to Ben and/or Johnny being featured in a solo movie, with the FF, Baxter Building, and such as background material....

I believe Fox is planning to do this with The X-Men and Wolverine, and the X-Men also have a very strong family vibe.

CaptainStacy said:
And again; i agree...to a point. However, even going back to the Lee & Kirby era, both Ben and Johnny often had solo adventures. That IS a part of their history, as much as the family aspect...

I would never want the team to "break up" per se, but sometime after the fourth of fifth FF movie, i wouldnt be opposed to Ben and/or Johnny being featured in a solo movie, with the FF, Baxter Building, and such as background material....

I believe Fox is planning to do this with The X-Men and Wolverine, and the X-Men also have a very strong family vibe.

So you are telling me...that Ben and Johnny going solo is AS MUCH as in equal, as in as important to their history as the family aspect....did i read that correctly?????? Their family aspect which is dealt w/ in almost every arc...is equaled to and as important as a few times when Johnny and Ben had their solo adventures???? is that what you are saying..??? as to the other part...X-men have a family vibe, Fantastic Four have a family relationship....to me theres a huge difference in the two....Good Lord, i'm actually taking this personally....LMAO!!!!

JMAfan said:
So you are telling me...that Ben and Johnny going solo is AS MUCH as in equal, as in as important to their history as the family aspect....did i read that correctly?????? Their family aspect which is dealt w/ in almost every arc...is equaled to and as important as a few times when Johnny and Ben had their solo adventures???? is that what you are saying..??? as to the other part...X-men have a family vibe, Fantastic Four have a family relationship....to me theres a huge difference in the two....Good Lord, i'm actually taking this personally....LMAO!!!!

I don't believe i said it was as "important", no, simply that it was as much a viable and recognized part of their continuity and history as characters.

In other words; Marvel (Stan Lee) felt that Johnny and Ben were interesting enough to explore adventures outside the family dynamic...Ben's solo adventures were chronicled for about fifteen years worth of stories and featured interactions with many Marvel characters besides the Fantastic Four...and he's currently got yet another ongoing series up and running....

So no, i don't really see a problem somewhere down the line with The Thing being given a shot at a solo movie, especially if it gives a chance to delve into his early years (which fascinates me to no end), and also allows even MORE great Marvel characters to be given the shot at the big screen, such as Aunt Petunia, or Bill Foster, or whoever...

Basically; when Strange Tales (featuring Johnny) and later Marvel Two In One (featuring Ben) were launched, those books in no way took anything from the "family aspect" of the Fantastic Four book...so i really don't see any reason to think it would take anything away from the Fantastic Four movies.

My comparisons to what Fox is planning with Wolverine and X-Men was merely to show that the same studio that is handling the FF franchise would not be opposed to doing the same with the FF dynamic....X-Men are probally more important to the modern comics fan, but the older generation from the sixties and seventies who currently are taking their own children out to the movies, would probably be even more interested in any FF spin offs...

CaptainStacy said:
I don't believe i said it was as "important", no, simply that it was as much a viable and recognized part of their continuity and history as characters.

In other words; Marvel (Stan Lee) felt that Johnny and Ben were interesting enough to explore adventures outside the family dynamic...Ben's solo adventures were chronicled for about fifteen years worth of stories and featured interactions with many Marvel characters besides the Fantastic Four...and he's currently got yet another ongoing series up and running....

So no, i don't really see a problem somewhere down the line with The Thing being given a shot at a solo movie, especially if it gives a chance to delve into his early years (which fascinates me to no end), and also allows even MORE great Marvel characters to be given the shot at the big screen, such as Aunt Petunia, or Bill Foster, or whoever...

Basically; when Strange Tales (featuring Johnny) and later Marvel Two In One (featuring Ben) were launched, those books in no way took anything from the "family aspect" of the Fantastic Four book...so i really don't see any reason to think it would take anything away from the Fantastic Four movies.

i think some of the disagreement also comes from your years of reading, and the fact that you love the characters of Ben and Johnny...and my newness to the comics, and the fact that the thing that draws me to this particular comic as opposed to others is the family dynamic. So i still disagree w/ you, but i certainly understand where you are coming from....and i think i understand why i take this so personally....lol...but i'm not sure you answered my question....are you saying that their times as solo acts are as much a part of the Fantastic Four as the family relationship of the 4?

No. I'm not saying its as much a part of the FF as much as its a part of Ben and Johhny's personal history...

And don't worry; your passion for the FF as you personally see them is a thing of beauty, in MY eyes.

CaptainStacy said:
No. I'm not saying its as much a part of the FF as much as its a part of Ben and Johhny's personal history...

And don't worry; your passion for the FF as you personally see them is a thing of beauty, in MY eyes.

i think i actually understand our difference of opinion...you have grown to love each individual character over the years....as a young kid, i doubt that the family thang was that important to you....as a kid you wanted to be thing and Johnny....as for me as an adult woman...the thing that draws me to them is that relationship factor...i think thats why i like the MK version the best....the writers tend to really bring out the relationship aspect more than others....

I would love to see a Ben movie. He's deep...I like how he was portrayed in the movie...I think Mike could pull off a hell of a performance in a solo flick. Cause Ben's not always beatin the crud outta bad dudes...he's not ALWAYS with the F4...

don't forget just because they are both a family and a team that doesn't mean they cant handle themselves in solo action

3dman27 said:
don't forget just because they are both a family and a team that doesn't mean they cant handle themselves in solo action

Thats a given....thats not in dispute, of course they can....but "to me", "in my opinion", "in my heart"....they are a family....that is their strongest point...that is what makes the different "to me", from Spiderman, Superman, even the X-men....the X-men have a team, and even a family at times...but relationship is the key to the F4, "in my opinion"...and thats what draws me, and i would venture to say many more women like me to this particular comic movie...if its based on action, then to me its no different than any other comic book movie, but if its based on relationship of this family, along w/ the powers that they have as individuals and a family makes them that much more appealing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"