The Dark Knight Rises Who do you want for Robin?

Road of Perdition should definitely be the basis for the relationship of Bruce and Dick and also on how to incorporate Robin into Batman's war on crime. But lets make one thing clear. They should never be portrayed as equals. Should be a Master/padawan relationship between them. As far as the costume, its should be recognizable as Robin, but its should be very subtle and more realistic looking compared to the Batsuit.

You know maybe, just maybe Robin could work as long as he is not the main part of the story and used as a strong supporting character to help further characterize Bruce Wayne. The main character has to always be Bruce and the story revolving around him.

Boss said:
That's not the problem. the problem is the realism;

1. In "REALITY" who would take a kid with him to kick thugs asses?

2. (the biggest problem) is the acrobatics the robin must do. Batman in begins has his limits, how the **** can a kid do **** like that?

That's not the problem, the problem is shortsightedness

1) When was the last time Batman took Robin with him to kick thugs asses? It's been awhile actually, Robin gets sent on errands, "Take this here" "Run recon here" "Make distraction over here" "Do not fail me..." This kind of thing is just what the doctor ordered for a "Realistic" Batman-Robin "partnership" and I don't know why people say "No Robin" when all they really seem to have a problem with is "Robin beating up thugs"

2) Once you get past the fact that he's a professional circus performer from the time he could walk, him doing olympic level acrobatics is no sweat... add in a little free running and you have one great kid character... a perfect runner/gopher for Batman...

EDIT: Yeah, and he shouldn't steal the show either, but that's hardly difficult... it's called 'supporting cast' if Robin makes batman 'unalone' then so does Alfred...

I have to admit, though Batman has always been my favorite, I've just never like the whole Batman and Robin combo. To me Batman was the lone dark detective who hid in the shadows until just the right time to strike. The inclusion of a circus boy with bright orange shirt and little green shorts seemed to counter that whole persona...at least to me.

But whatever...

If there must be a Robin in the new series, they should probably save him for the last film.

Another problem is that we'll leave to little character development to Bats, thats found in TLH and YEAR ONE, that needs to be done. now if we introduce robin Bats development will go in symbiosis with robin. and we DONT need that. in a long time.

Voyeur said:
If there must be a Robin in the new series, they should probably save him for the last film.

That is the important questions, DO we NEED a Robin in the new franchise?

raybia said:
Actually a 14 year old is a teenager and it depends on the 14 year old. I know one who is 5'8 170 pounds.

I for one don't think Robin would work in Nolan's Batman series. Even if Nolan does not return, WB will not change the "realism" theme if BB is a huge hit.

If WB insisted on having Robin in the series then I would introduce Dick Grayson in the third sequel but NOT have him appear as Robin. I would portray his character as heading in the same direction as Bruce did when he was first faced with tragedy. Bruce recognizing this, intervenes in the boy's life and trys to vent Dick's rage for vengence by offering him some limited training. This training would not be for the purpose of becoming Batman's partner or sidekick but of course due to circumstances that is what eventually happens...in the next installment. Their relationship is portrayed as Father and son and as a mentor. Perhaps when Dick is introduced, he unwittingly becomes involves in the bigger context of the movie (think Road of Perdition) where he gets the opportunity to show some of his potential (skills of deduction rather than physical skill) based on what Bruce has taught him to that point. By the end of the movie Dick trys to convince Bruce to train him hardcore for the purpose of becoming his partner. Bruce agrees to train him but only for use in a backup role. Each movie shows him progressing more and more (like in the Harry Potter movies) in his skills and becoming more of an asset to Batman. However not all should be hunky doery. The writer should also demostrate (at least at first) how much of a liability it is having a minor as a partner.

In the next movie. You introduce Dick as Robin and he being used for surveillence when Batman is on patrol, but is instructed to never engage the enemy (of course this doesn't last long, either out of necessity or immaturity or a combination of both)This movie should demostrate how far Dick has progressed in both his training and maturity level (Kind of like Luke from SW to Empire)

Okay, sounds good. But how do we know that this movie will get sequals? I hope it will, but if it stops like at the second movie or something, we still have unfinished business with Dick... Hmmm...

But the real question is: If there WAS a Robin, who would you want to play him?

(when I said not 14-year old, I meant that I wanted someone who looked a bit more mature, but still not quite adult yet. MOst 14-year olds don't look like that)

HelloYellow said:
Okay, sounds good. But how do we know that this movie will get sequals? I hope it will, but if it stops like at the second movie or something, we still have unfinished business with Dick... Hmmm...

But the real question is: If there WAS a Robin, who would you want to play him?

(when I said not 14-year old, I meant that I wanted someone who looked a bit more mature, but still not quite adult yet. MOst 14-year olds don't look like that)

No, there would not be a guarantee that there would be a 2nd movie, just like there was no guarantees that another WB property would not be successful enough to produce subsequent sequels: Harry Potter. It just a chance they have to take.

Well, the problem with naming someone at this point is that by the time they would be ready, he would be too old. For me the perfect person would be the kid from Road to Perdition. I think whoever they get should be model after him and his character in the movie. I think the actor should be someone that somewhat resembles Bale to give added effect to the surrogate father/son relationship.

SV-THoechlin-E_2x3_240.jpg

Boss said:
Another problem is that we'll leave to little character development to Bats, thats found in TLH and YEAR ONE, that needs to be done. now if we introduce robin Bats development will go in symbiosis with robin. and we DONT need that. in a long time.

Again, the actual problem is shortsightedness... Robin doesn't have to steal the show or 'symbiote' anymore than Alfred does... he has two origin scenes, parents dying and being adopted, both which incorporate themselves into a larger story pretty danged easily... give him a few scenes of training in the background and you have Robin WITHOUT violating batmans soloness, darkness, screen time or any such thing...

Agree with Tyler Hoelchin as a 'Robin-model' as well as his part from Road to Perdition... not sure I agree with a need to 'look like Bale' though I suppose it couldn't hurt...

Nobody yet has mentioned another Batman / Robin type relationship that worked very well from another film. That film also involves an adult male, extremely skilled and dangerous at his profession, who adopts and offers comfort to a 13ish child orphaned by acts of criminal violence. Any guesses?

We also had Indiana Jones and Short Round in Temple of Doom and that
partnership didn't irreperably harm the film.
So the concept alone of teaming an adult and a child ala Batman and Robin does not in and of itself preclude it's success on film.

afan said:
Nobody yet has mentioned another Batman / Robin type relationship that worked very well from another film. That film also involves an adult male, extremely skilled and dangerous at his profession, who adopts and offers comfort to a 13ish orphaned child. Any guesses?
We also had Indiana Jones and Short Round in Temple of Doom and that partnership didn't irreperably harm the film.
So the concept alone of teaming an adult and a child ala Batman and Robin does not in and of itself preclude it's success on film.

Great suggestion! TOD is one of my favorite movies and the relationship between Jones and Short Round, along with Road of Perdition, a great model for the relationship between Bruce and Dick.

Interesting point, but there's definitely a difference between Indiana Jones and Batman, at least in terms of personalities and what they do.

Indiana Jones is a rugged but likeable archeologist who happens to find himself in dangerous situations...Batman is an intense detective/vigilante who seeks and dispenses danger.

I just feel that the moment Batman is joined by Robin, he loses a lot of that edge and goes from intense Dark Knight to chummy Dynamic Duo...which was great when I was a little kid. But as I got older and discovered what Batman was all about, I wondered why the "Boy Wonder" was ever included.

Voyeur said:
Interesting point, but there's definitely a difference between Indiana Jones and Batman, at least in terms of personalities and what they do.

Indiana Jones is a rugged but likeable archeologist who happens to find himself in dangerous situations...Batman is an intense detective/vigilante who seeks and dispenses danger.

I just feel that the moment Batman is joined by Robin, he loses a lot of that edge and goes from intense Dark Knight to chummy Dynamic Duo...which was great when I was a little kid. But as I got older and discovered what Batman was all about, I wondered why the "Boy Wonder" was ever included.

Well one could use that element of The Batman to illustrate why he "needs" Dick Grayson / Robin as an emotional anchor that prevents him from becoming too dark.

By the way I was also making a referrence to another film that featured an adoption of an orphaned teen by an adult....... "The Professional."

afan said:
Well one could use that element of The Batman to illustrate why he "needs" Dick Grayson / Robin as an emotional anchor that prevents him from becoming too dark.

By the way I was also making a referrence to another film that featured an adoption of an orphaned teen by an adult....... "The Professional."

Another great example and I love that movie. The inclusion of Robin does necessitate Batman losing his edge and grittness.

Voyeur said:

Define "joined," please.

As per the thread title: I definitely do not want Robin swinging right behind Batman and getting pointers on how to take out thugs mid-battle...

GL1 said:
Define "joined," please.

As per the thread title: I definitely do not want Robin swinging right behind Batman and getting pointers on how to take out thugs mid-battle...

He should be used only for reconn work. It should be portrayed that Batman keeps him involved for theraputic reasons to help Dick get pass his grieve and anger but deep down this is not the life that Bruce wants for Dick and hopes to eventually dissuade him from this line of work.

if ya need an actor to stand up to Bale and Michael Cain on screen its got to be Jamie Bell, then again it all depends on the script , for those of you worried about his age sure he can play a younger version of Robin just like Bale did with Batman,.

jamiebell.jpg

PLUS I'M SURE BALE WOULD LOVE TO WORK WITH HIM SINCE THEY SHARE SOMETHING IN COMMON

He's the only second actor ever to be awarded Outstanding Performance by a Young Actor from the National Board of Review, USA. The first was fellow Brit Christian Bale in 1987 (titled Outstanding Juvenile Performance then).

Riven said:
^^ "Billy Elliot"?? Hell no!

:o

Yeah guys like you went around saying that sissy boy from Newsies for Batman hell no
newsies_150.jpg
do yourself a favour and go check out the other movies with Jamie Bell and yup he is a bale in the making.

patrickbateman said:

*looks at pic* i'm waiting for him to fly away with the dumbo ears of his.
if hes going to be a choice for Robin, i guess there shouldn't be a Robin at all.

patrickbateman said:
do yourself a favour and go check out the other movies with Jamie Bell and yup he is a bale in the making.
It's not the fact that he's Billy Elliot that bugs me, it's that he's a crap actor that I HAVE seen in other -crap- roles.

He's no Robin and he sure as hell isn't a future Batman (like the poster after you suggested).

patrickbateman said:

He could work as Robin, he is still young... but by the time that they introduce Robin he could look and sound too old. I still want a younger actor for Robin, if he has to be introduced, between the ages of 13-16 would work.

GL1 said:
Define "joined," please.
You know, like driving around in the Batmobile...leaping out together...beating up some the Joker's flunkies, then high-fiving each other.

raybia said:
No, there would not be a guarantee that there would be a 2nd movie, just like there was no guarantees that another WB property would not be successful enough to produce subsequent sequels: Harry Potter. It just a chance they have to take.

Well, the problem with naming someone at this point is that by the time they would be ready, he would be too old. For me the perfect person would be the kid from Road to Perdition. I think whoever they get should be model after him and his character in the movie. I think the actor should be someone that somewhat resembles Bale to give added effect to the surrogate father/son relationship.

SV-THoechlin-E_2x3_240.jpg

Kick a$$ Raybia! When I initially saw this thread, the first kid who popped into my head was the teen from Road To Perdition!!! He would make an excellent Robin and a good successor to Bale (as Batman) in the distant future. He's even got the right phenotype to keep purists happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"