The Dark Knight Rises Who do you want for Robin?

^
When I 1st posted on this thread I really was against having Robin but with all of the excellent ideas, I really think it could work as long as its properly done. Just take all of the reasons why people wouldn't want this character and write his development and the story in a way that would eliminate those problems.

Voyeur said:
You know, like driving around in the Batmobile...leaping out together...beating up some the Joker's flunkies, then high-fiving each other.

Yeah, that's out, way out... No thank you, not even up for discussion...

Now a recon Robin, THAT's a great character waiting to happen...

therapeutic works, but what about the fact that Batman having an operative is a really useful thing to him?

GL1 said:
Yeah, that's out, way out... No thank you, not even up for discussion...

Now a recon Robin, THAT's a great character waiting to happen...

therapeutic works, but what about the fact that Batman having an operative is a really useful thing to him?

Robin as an operative is the way to go.

It was always insulting to me that Bruce Wayne trained half his life to be able to do the extraordinary things he can do as Batman and then here comes this kid who is on par with Batman with mininal training.

If thats the way WB would want Robin portrayed then absolutely NO ROBIN!!!!

Here's the problem with robin as like a spy for batman. HE'S 15YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER!!!!!!!!! If robin shows up it will ruin the batman movies. I like robin, I enjoy him in the comics but the character simply would not work in a movie. In a movie you have limited time to tell a complete story, and added characters take time away from the development of the keby characters. If robin showed up the film would either be Robin-centric or he would barely be in the film. I'm not trying to crap on anybody's Idea but robin Cannot be in a half-way decent Batman movie

Boss said:
sucks2.jpg

I concur.

I AM THE NIGHT said:
Here's the problem with robin as like a spy for batman. HE'S 15YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER!!!!!!!!! If robin shows up it will ruin the batman movies. I like robin, I enjoy him in the comics but the character simply would not work in a movie. In a movie you have limited time to tell a complete story, and added characters take time away from the development of the keby characters. If robin showed up the film would either be Robin-centric or he would barely be in the film. I'm not trying to crap on anybody's Idea but robin Cannot be in a half-way decent Batman movie

I agree with everything you said. :up:

I AM THE NIGHT said:

I hear you, but are you really saying anything?

WHY wouldn't he work?

Doesn't Alfred take time away from the key characters? How about, I dunno, Captain Gordon or Lucious Fox? You thought Batman Begins was about Batman? It's about Bruce Wayne, baby... and supporting like characters like Robin and Henri Ducard are what make the movies great, all their development funnels right back into Batman making him a better character. He wouldn't take any more screen time than Rachel Dodson and would provide FAR more character development for Batman...

I'm sure that you can't SEE how Robin can't be in the best Batman film ever, but perhaps you haven't seen Road to Perdition, or any good father-son action movie, for that matter... perhaps you just lack vision, even of things right in front of you, perhaps there's nothing wrong with Robin at all...

GL1 said:
perhaps you just lack vision
Not necessarily (dis)agreeing with you, but that is the most cruddy argument in the history of civilisation.

It's worse than "my dad is stronger than yours so njah"

Riven said:
Not necessarily (dis)agreeing with you, but that is the most cruddy argument in the history of civilisation.

It's worse than "my dad is stronger than yours so njah"

It wasn't an arguement, it was an accusation, and as such, perhaps I shouldn't have said it...

Regardless, I've done worse... :) You should've seen the old Beyonce as Lois Lane threads...

GL1 said:
I hear you, but are you really saying anything?

WHY wouldn't he work?

Doesn't Alfred take time away from the key characters? How about, I dunno, Captain Gordon or Lucious Fox? You thought Batman Begins was about Batman? It's about Bruce Wayne, baby... and supporting like characters like Robin and Henri Ducard are what make the movies great, all their development funnels right back into Batman making him a better character. He wouldn't take any more screen time than Rachel Dodson and would provide FAR more character development for Batman...

I'm sure that you can't SEE how Robin can't be in the best Batman film ever, but perhaps you haven't seen Road to Perdition, or any good father-son action movie, for that matter... perhaps you just lack vision, even of things right in front of you, perhaps there's nothing wrong with Robin at all...

:up:

Well ultimately its not our decision but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Robin will show up by the 2nd sequel, just like in the 1st series.

I just pray they use our suggestions or else it will be F'ed up!

haggis said:
Just say no to Robin

^Exactly.Robin does not work in a Batman movie.Batman was alot cooler as a loner in the movies.Robin takes away that darkness that Batman has.Robin is the plague...

GoldGoblin said:
^Exactly.Robin does not work in a Batman movie.Batman was alot cooler as a loner in the movies.Robin takes away that darkness that Batman has.Robin is the plague...

I like reading Batman doing solo in the comics, sometimes I like Robin in comics. It wouldn't work in a movie that's why schumacher had to do campy when Robin was in Forever and B&R, I agree with everything you said.

No Robin and no Mr.Freeze.

'Nuff said.

GoldGoblin said:

Robin does work. Robin doesn't take away that darkness, Schumacker takes away that darkness. Neither Two-Face nor Riddler were to blame, it's the director who made Robin bad, the characters is fine and great, just like all of Batman's supporting cast.

Two Face said:
I like reading Batman doing solo in the comics, sometimes I like Robin in comics. It wouldn't work in a movie that's why schumacher had to do campy when Robin was in Forever and B&R, I agree with everything you said.

Schumacher didn't have to do campy, he chose to, and he chose to get Robin, Robin didn't not 'force' him to do anything. Read Dark Victory. Watch Road to Perdition. Have you ever heard of Batman the Animated series? You can't blame camp on Robin.

raybia said:
:up:

Well ultimately its not our decision but if I was a betting man, I would bet that Robin will show up by the 2nd sequel, just like in the 1st series.

I just pray they use our suggestions or else it will be F'ed up!

Indeed... I'm sure that in the present regime, IF they use Robin they'll keep him dark, in the background and realistic, instead of making him a joke like the last movies did, but some people around here don't seem to know anything about Robin except "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" which is really sad for a "batman fan"... I wonder if they're as clueless about Alfred or Gordon...

ArmsHeldOut said:
No Robin and no Mr.Freeze.

'Nuff said.

Yes Robin and Yes Mr. Freeze.

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

GL1 said:
Schumacher didn't have to do campy, he chose to, and he chose to get Robin, Robin didn't not 'force' him to do anything. Read Dark Victory. Watch Road to Perdition. Have you ever heard of Batman the Animated series? You can't blame camp on Robin.

Indeed... I'm sure that in the present regime, IF they use Robin they'll keep him dark, in the background and realistic, instead of making him a joke like the last movies did, but some people around here don't seem to know anything about Robin except "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" which is really sad for a "batman fan"... I wonder if they're as clueless about Alfred or Gordon...

I understand the character very well, I read the comics way before any of the movies came out and before Tim Drake became Robin. I liked Grayson, I never really liked Todd as much though (don't know why really). I was excited to hear that Forever was going to have Robin come in, but when I saw the movie it just wasn't what I remembered Robin to be and B&R just was not anything like a Batman film to me.

If they could get Robin right in this new franchise, cool, have in it... but do it right like in Dark Victory (like you said and others have said as well). I think it is not that people don't "understand Robin" it is because none of us want something like Forever... so we want to stay away from the elements of that movie all together. It seems that whenever Robin is in something with Batman, like the movies and the 60's show, it turns to camp (TAS is the exception and was a great show). But the new franchise should focus on Wayne/Batman first and foremost because they bring in a Robin. That is my opinion. And I want to make sure that you understand that I know Robin outside of Forever and B&R, must posters probably do, must just don't want to see camp again and I don't either.

Well said spdrknight, perhaps you are correct and my accusations are misdirected...

The problem perhaps lies in the fact that many can't see the difference between a director's decision and an iconic character. Robin carries camp well, I mean, look at how they dress the poor boy... but that's not what the character is about. If people came in and said "No Camp." then my reaction would be completely different, but they say "No Robin." which indicates that either they don't know how to express themselvse or they don't know what they're talking about.

Even the guys who are kind enough to type out what they're actually thinking equate Robin with camp even though all you have to do is pick up a comic or watch BTAS and you'll see differently. Everytime Robin has been campy, Batman has been worse, everytime Robin has been done well, Batman has looked all the better for it...

Is there a way to have Robin without Robin?

You see, I think that, if Nolan and Goyer put Robin in the series, Robin fans would be dissapointed. For instance, I wouldn't be suprised if his name was changed, to distance him from previous incarnations of TV and the big screen.

And why have him wear a costume at all? Why have a him fight crime alongisde Batman? It would make much more sense for him to serve an Oracle-esque role, as a computer hacker/communicator who could provide Bruce with a new perspective on his cases, as he did in Dark Victory.

The only way I could see him wearing a suit is if Batman is injured somehow, and the character would have to fight crime in Gotham with a modified BB suit Bruce secretly modified for him, in case Batman became no more.

non of the teenage actors out there right now would be good for a just starting out robin in a sequel in a few years

GL1 said:
Well said spdrknight, perhaps you are correct and my accusations are misdirected...

The problem perhaps lies in the fact that many can't see the difference between a director's decision and an iconic character. Robin carries camp well, I mean, look at how they dress the poor boy... but that's not what the character is about. If people came in and said "No Camp." then my reaction would be completely different, but they say "No Robin." which indicates that either they don't know how to express themselvse or they don't know what they're talking about.

Even the guys who are kind enough to type out what they're actually thinking equate Robin with camp even though all you have to do is pick up a comic or watch BTAS and you'll see differently. Everytime Robin has been campy, Batman has been worse, everytime Robin has been done well, Batman has looked all the better for it...

True, some people don't express their opinions very well but they may have expressed themselves early in the thread and don't feel like stating what they already had. At any rate though, that matters not... Robin is the subjext here.

How about...
NO ONE BECAUSE ROBIN IS NEVER GOING TO DESTORY ANOTHER BATMAN MOVIE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"