Homecoming Who should be the Villain in Spider-Man (2017)? - Part 4

I'd love Norman and Stark to be rivals. So far that's 4 ways Stark could be involved.

-Business Rival To Norman
-Business Rival To Adrian Toomes
-An Over Protective Mentor Of Peter

And least likely on the list.

-A Love Interest For Aunt May.

Just finished up to First Steps of SSM Season Two.

Upon watching Blueprints, however, I really want Mysterio as a villain for this new series but only if he's played off as a joke, similar to that interpretation of him of course. The interactions between him and Spider-Man (with Mysterio being beyond over-the-top and cheesy) were great and I've always said that despite my general dislike for him, he does work well in terms of visuals and this would really make for a fun villain if handled this way. Liked how he just accepted defeat in a comedic way once Spidey got the upperhand on him, too.

Oh, and I still campaign for this guy to be him:

nerdist581.jpg

Long story short, SSM remains the 'definitive' (that term is used a lot around here) take on Spidey thus far. Here's hoping Homecoming takes that mantle come next year.

SM2(as best movie adaption) and SSM(as overall best portrayal in media), are really high up on peoples bars. So here's to hoping Marvel utterly destroys both.

I know there is possibly no connection to the Spider Man story from watching Civil War. But I can't help but wonder with all the latex masks etc that perhaps for Spider Mans first villain they could go with Chameleon.

Chameleon is a classic villain maybe not as strong as Doc Ock or Mysterio but however I feel Chameleon could technically already exist in MCU again only going with Capt America Civil War as a basis. that's all.

Chameleon Or Mysterio any would be FAB.

If there's one thing the MCU has yet to master, its the villain. Let's hope Sony can help Marvel out here. They did give us Doc Ock...

If there's one thing the MCU has yet to master, its the villain. Let's hope Sony can help Marvel out here. They did give us Doc Ock...

Agreed. MCU did give Loki but he only really great villain out of lots of villains they try and not make that great.

I was actually watching Season 1 of SSM and I still don't like it that much, there is nothing wrong with anything on a technical level but I feel like its very limited by being a cartoon. Most episodes are very repetitive aside from like 4(which are the ones I actually like). I want to rewach Season 2 and I hope I still like it as much because I think its FAR superior to season 1, everything is just more complex and creative.

If I had to pick villains from the show for the movies to take inspiration, I would say Sandman and Tombstone would work perfect on live action. Green Goblin as well even though I don't like their Norman Osborn. Maybe Doc Ock but only his Master Planner persona.

Is it just me or does Ralph Fiennes look like Norman straight outta the comics?

I don't think the Marvel Studios villains are THAT bad lately. I think Zemo and Loki are great. I highly enjoy Ronan and Ultron (though a little weak). Winter Soldier was a blast. Pierce was very good. I highly enjoyed Yellowjacket. Most of them are not as great as they could be and there is a big room for improvement, but I think the villain problem is starting to become a little exaggerated.

Oscorp, you changed your avvy!!!

We actually pretty much agree on all MCU villains except for Ronan and Ultron. I didn't care too much for them. Zemo and Pierce are awesome and stand out. I actually really liked Yellowjacket, too, and wouldn't mind if Vulture (if he's the main villain), was at the same scale.

I don't think the Marvel Studios villains are THAT bad lately. I think Zemo and Loki are great. I highly enjoy Ronan and Ultron (though a little weak). Winter Soldier was a blast. Pierce was very good. I highly enjoyed Yellowjacket. Most of them are not as great as they could be and there is a big room for improvement, but I think the villain problem is starting to become a little exaggerated.
They've been getting better, as you said, Zemo and Loki are great, excellent even, Ultron as much as i didn't like him being a AI Evil Tony, i can't say he is forgetable as Ronan, Pierce was an excellent villain and Yellowjacket was basically just Marvel's attempt and in my opinion success on making Lex Luthor.

So what kind of personality changes would people be okay with some of the B-list villains, just because a lot of B-list Spidey villains usually have no personality beyond genetic gimmick based super villain:

I suggested Mysterio be far more cruel and sadistic then his rather generic comic book counterpart (there have stories like Guardian Devil that play up a more psychopathic Mysterio, its sad one of Mysterio's best showings happened in a Daredevil story rather then a Spidey story). To me when people say they are sick of sympathetic villains and want a unsympathetic villain who is just a bank robbing jerk, it seems like they don't want a truly unsympathetic villain, if you don't want a sympathetic villain, then I say give me a truly unsympathetic villain, not a slightly unpleasant bank robbing jerk.

Someone like Shocker could made more noble and moral, a criminal for sure, but one with standards and limits and someone who would object to working for a truly evil boss who has no standards or limits, you could really contrast Shocker and Mysterio in a story.

Shocker is just a guy trying to get paid, that's pretty much all we need. He views supervillainy as a job, more or less he's like an older version of Parker but a crook.

Shocker is just a guy trying to get paid, that's pretty much all we need. He views supervillainy as a job, more or less he's like an older version of Parker but a crook.

That is fine too, it all depends on how much of a character vs. plot device Shocker should be in a film. Riptide from X-Men First Class for example, is just there to provide fight scenes and do nothing else.

I have noticed for example, that most animated adaption ditch any sort of scientific ability he has in the comics and just make him a common thug is given his tech by a third party, which really makes more sense, most career criminals do not scientific ability or they would use that to make money. For me, Shocker never had a good reason to be a criminal in the comics, when he could have tried to make money with his scientific skills.

See I really hate the trope where a greedy villain could make more using his skills to make money legitimately and doesn't and no one explains why. This is why I don't respect Shocker as a character in the comics, his motivations and personality are barely defined, so I am not invested when he appears.

I'm probably more adamant about psychopath Mysterio, just because I think Mysterio would need more to be a Big Bad in a film then he has in the comics and this seems like the most natural way to make him more threatening and compelling.

Last edited:
I say, Shocker should be like the Rogues, a criminal yes, but with at least somewhat of a code, he doesn't kill women or kids.

I say, Shocker should be like the Rogues, a criminal yes, but with at least somewhat of a code, he doesn't kill women or kids.

Well that is the other way to go with him and that works too.

It all depends on whether Shocker is a plot device or a character in the film and I am fine with either role, mainly because Shocker will never be a Big Bad, so Shocker's personality will not make or break the film.

If Marvel wants to set themselves apart from the previous movies released solely by Sony, then picking a villain that hasn't been done yet would be their best bet. Vulture and/or Scorpion seems the most practical--especially since Tony Stark will be involved and allowing his tech to get in the wrong hands, again, would be a natural dilemma to get him involved with Spidey without seeming completely shoehorned in.

If Marvel wants to set themselves apart from the previous movies released solely by Sony, then picking a villain that hasn't been done yet would be their best bet. Vulture and/or Scorpion seems the most practical--especially since Tony Stark will be involved and allowing his tech to get in the wrong hands, again, would be a natural dilemma to get him involved with Spidey without seeming completely shoehorned in.

I didn't even think about that. Maybe with Scorpion, but I'd rather Vulture be the one who invented Falcon's tech.

I didn't even think about that. Maybe with Scorpion, but I'd rather Vulture be the one who invented Falcon's tech.

I agree, it would provide a bigger connection to the MCU as a whole and seeing a more advanced version of Falcon's wings would look awesome.

Watch it turn out to be Carnage so that Sony can use him as the platform to launch their dream project: Venom spinoff.

I say throw Shocker in here, but as a slight running gag just have him constantly trying to do his thing throughout the movie, only to constantly keep having Spidey mess it up. Like you actually begin to root for him to actually get away with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"