Age of Ultron Who should play Thanos?

A New York accent is the least of my worries. Thanos is an alien god. Having a Brooklyn accent is just as "credible" as having some mincing British accent, or Big Black Dude accent, or any of the others that I've heard proposed among fancasting threads.

Isn't Thanos supposed to be high born? Do you really think you get that listening to Diesel?

Isn't Thanos supposed to be high born? Do you really think you get that listening to Diesel?

What does "high born" on an alien world even mean? Why would it necessarily correlate to sounding "high born" on earth?

By being able to speak eloquently or articulate. Being learned, a being that's had access to the best scholars his homeworld can provide. I just do not get that from Diesel with his inability to completely rid himself of that distinct accent.

I'm not a diesel fan but he's not some mumbling fool. Also the standards you're speaking of could mean little when talking about an alien being whose voice should arguably have a good deal of non-human elements.

Should Thanos sound like Frasier Crane?

You sure won't.

He's a Hollywood fad. He should thank his lucky stars he's even got an acting job as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a diesel fan but he's not some mumbling fool. Also the standards you're speaking of could mean little when talking about an alien being whose voice should arguably have a good deal of non-human elements.

Do Frank Langella, James Earl Jones, or Alan Rickman sound like Frasier Crane?

Doesn't the comics depict him as having a particularly creepy voice?

I'm not a diesel fan but he's not some mumbling fool.

certainly not. it's not even his voice that would be the issue. that would likely be altered. it's the accent. can he speak without that new yorker accent? if so, then sign him up.

He's not at the top of my list, but I think we would all be unwise to underestimate what Vin D. could accomplish with a role like Thanos. I am by no means a booster for him, or a fan of the FF movies. I do think I get why he is a movie star though, and I think that he could do better than what some are willing to give him credit for.

Last edited:
Vin isn't my first choice, by any means; but I wouldn't write him off for sounding like a New Yorker as opposed to an upper-crust British snob. Vin isn't an illiterate, and he can actually say big words without injuring his mouth or vocal cords or brain *too* much. He's got menace, both in look and tone of voice, so I'll give him that.

Vin isn't my first choice, by any means; but I wouldn't write him off for sounding like a New Yorker as opposed to an upper-crust British snob. Vin isn't an illiterate, and he can actually say big words without injuring his mouth or vocal cords or brain *too* much. He's got menace, both in look and tone of voice, so I'll give him that.

Sam, seein as you are a Thanos fan like myself, what kind of voice do you imagine him. I never imagined Thanos with a big evil menacing voice. I imagined his voice as calm, confident, a tid bit gravely, and is very articulate with a hint of arrogance in it. All this surrounded by a somewhat deep voice because of the simple fact that he is big, atleast 6'7.

Big and powerful and menacing, and deep and raspy is not how I imagine him, but I think I am the minority here.

Sam, seein as you are a Thanos fan like myself, what kind of voice do you imagine him. I never imagined Thanos with a big evil menacing voice. I imagined his voice as calm, confident, a tid bit gravely, and is very articulate with a hint of arrogance in it. All this surrounded by a somewhat deep voice because of the simple fact that he is big, atleast 6'7.

Big and powerful and menacing, and deep and raspy is not how I imagine him, but I think I am the minority here.

Like I keep saying, I always liken Thanos to Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. He's bat**** crazy, but he doesn't chew the scenery or thump his chest and boom out threats and nonsense. He speaks in a calm, collected level, sane voice about things that are absolutely and completely insane. If Brando was still alive, he'd unquestionably be my first choice for Thanos. Second would've been Jack Palance. Believe it....or not. ;)

That's a great idea - Kelsey Grammer would do well in the role. He looked good in blue in X3, so I am sure he can pull off purple, too!

Like I keep saying, I always liken Thanos to Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. He's bat**** crazy, but he doesn't chew the scenery or thump his chest and boom out threats and nonsense. He speaks in a calm, collected level, sane voice about things that are absolutely and completely insane. If Brando was still alive, he'd unquestionably be my first choice for Thanos. Second would've been Jack Palance. Believe it....or not. ;)

now THATS good

Let's say Vin is cast as Thanos. Then God bless him.

I've been a fan of his since his Boiling Room, Iron Giant, and Pitch Black days. Sure he stumbled with The Pacifier and xXx, but since Fast 5, he's popualr and relevant again.

What if Vin's High Evolutionary? I mean we still don't know for SURE Thanos even HAS a big part yet.

I look for Hi-Ev to be in TA2, yeah. But Thanos is obviously a larger role, and probably touches on multiple movies; far more than Wyndham is likely to. I just don't see Vin being offered or taking a smaller role. Thanos would be a huge role for the MCU, and one that Vin would probably sink his teeth into.

I look for Hi-Ev to be in TA2, yeah. But Thanos is obviously a larger role, and probably touches on multiple movies; far more than Wyndham is likely to. I just don't see Vin being offered or taking a smaller role. Thanos would be a huge role for the MCU, and one that Vin would probably sink his teeth into.
Well, the original image for your avvy does remind me of this...
vin_diesel_xander_cage_xxx_new_movie_3D.jpg

It seems like Vin may be giant man or something?

It seems like Vin may be giant man or something?

Could be, but I'm pretty sure the significance of the picture is just that it says "Avengers #2." i.e., the Avengers 2 movie. The actual characters on the cover and in the story probably aren't the ones being referenced here.

That poster (of The Avengers #2) behind Vin was probably the one Joss Whedon mentioned last year, that he had put up on the wall of the Marvel offices. They had a poster of the first issue hanging on the wall, when the first film was in production.

Vin probably just had a quick photo taken posing infront of it, when he visited the Marvel offices for his meeting.

Sure do. I'm sure they'll use some kind of modulation.
Look at Heimdall, they lowered his voice quite a bit.
I've never really thought of Thanos having a snobbish voice like Frazer Crane. I hear more a rough deep voice, similar to Heimdall.

I'm not from an english speaking country, i see the basic cliché accents, like kansas, british and a few others, but i'm not that familiar with new York accent, never noticed any diference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"