Why does everyone hate The Batman?

Binker said:
I heard somewhere that someone compared TB to manga. That would explain those moves he makes. Plus, I read Batman: Child of Dreams, a Batman manga and just what? He works for a manga comic.

I would normally say censors is why we're not seeing anythign TAT dark from the comics. But your examples of Joker is only from Season One, the season which while it was difficult for people to start on this new show, it had problems. Joker since then has changed.

If you are saying 100% of Joker in TB isn't what Joker is then what he is in the show as a crazed maniac isn't right then.

Annie AwardsYearResultAwardCategory/Recipient(s)2006NominatedAnnieBest Animated Television Production

Best Music in an Animated Television Production

Thomas Chase
For episode "The Laughing Bat".

Best Home Entertainment Production
The Batman vs. Dracula

Daytime Emmy AwardsYearResultAwardCategory/Recipient(s)2006NominatedDaytime EmmyOutstanding Special Class Animated Program
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing - Live Action and Animation

2005WonDaytime EmmyOutstanding Achievement in Sound Editing - Live Action and Animation
Thomas Syslo (supervising sound editor)
Timothy Borquez (supervising sound editor)
Keith Dickens (sound editor)
Jeff Hutchins (sound editor)
Doug Andorka (sound editor)
Eric Freeman (sound editor)
Daisuke Sawa (sound editor)
Roy Braverman (sound editor)
Mark Howlett (sound editor)
Mark Keatts (dialogue editor)
Mark Keefer (dialogue editor)
Mike Garcia (dialogue editor)

Tied with "Xiaolin Showdown."
2005NominatedDaytime EmmyOutstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition
Thomas Chase (composer)

Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program
Kevin Michael Richardson

Outstanding Special Class Animated Program
Sander Schwartz (executive producer)
Alan Burnett (executive producer)
Duane Capizzi (supervising producer)
Michael Goguen (supervising producer)
Jeff Matsuda (producer)
Linda M. Steiner (producer)
Glen Murakami (producer)
Adam Beechen (writer)
Steven Melching (writer)
Seung Eun Kim (director)
Brandon Vietti (director)
Sam Liu (director)
Ginny McSwain (director)

Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA
YearResultAwardCategory/Recipient(s)2005NominatedGolden Reel AwardBest Sound Editing in Television Animation
Thomas Syslo (supervising sound editor)
Timothy Borquez (supervising sound editor)
Mark Keatts (supervising dialogue editor)
Roy Braverman (sound editor)
Jeff Hutchins (sound editor)
Keith Dickens (sound editor)
Eric Freeman (sound editor)
Doug Andorka (sound editor)
Mark Keefer (dialogue editor)
Michael Garcia (adr editor)
Daisuke Sawa (foley editor)
For episode "The Big Chill".

Cinema Audio Society, USA
YearResultAwardCategory/Recipient(s)
2006NominatedC.A.S. AwardOutstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing for DVD Original Programming
The Batman vs. Dracula

You were saying...

Well let me ask this; what do you think of these episodes: Rubberface of Comedy, Clayface of Tragedy, Riddled, Meltdown, Strange Minds, The Laughing Bat, Night and the City, Batgirl Begins (both parts), Fistful of Felt, Fluers du Mal, The Apprentice, and TBvD?

It hasnt won anything, these are all nominations. Seriously im sorry you wasted your time compiling this list.

Binker said:
How is it disappointing and weird?

I don't know but maybe the reasons behind it being disappointing is because you not seeing many episodes.

Let's see.Joker's appearance is very odd,Clayface's origin was messed up,Catwoman looks more like a mouse then a cat,and Riddler looks like a gothic freak.Anything else? lol

Its no use SS, anything you say he'll just argue The Batman is god's gift to animation.

Darthphere said:
It hasnt won anything, these are all nominations. Seriously im sorry you wasted your time compiling this list.

It doesn't matter if it won or not, the fact it was nominationed means something. If it SUCKED so horrible it wouldn't be on the damn list. It did win a daytime emmy for sound though.

Let's see.Joker's appearance is very odd,Clayface's origin was messed up,Catwoman looks more like a mouse then a cat,and Riddler looks like a gothic freak.Anything else? lol

I think of Joker's appearence similar to how he looked in Arkham Asylum. Clayface's origin was messed up? Ethan is a new character for the show and many people have been clayface over the eyars in the comics, not just one. For Catwoman, her costume is a cross between the '60s (entire suit) and modern (the goggles). I can't explain the ears but I've seen bat ears that her ears don't look like them.

Riddler looks like that because of not only who voices him, but the fact that making him creepy also means he won't be anything stupid like in the comics back in the old days. Riddler now in the comics (ex. HUSH) has made him more of a threat. And that ain't make-up, those are tatoos. Who would you be scared of? A Riddler with just a jumpsuit and puzzles for you to solve or one that has a gothic, creepy look and can find out who you are under that mask like "snap" and even threaten those around you?

Its no use SS, anything you say he'll just argue The Batman is god's gift to animation.

Well not a gift of animation. TB is still good, it just needs time to bring what its full potential in. At least we still see a bit in few episodes.

Anything else? BRING IT ON!!!!

Maybe its nominated because the overall quality of today's cartoon is horrible. Save a few exceptions like JLU and some others, the cartoons they peddle on today;s children are horrible and of low production qaulity. A cartoon about Monkey robots? Please. The truth of the matter the majority of people think The Batman is of low quality. Deal with it man.

Binker, you always have an excuse for my answers don't you? lol :p

Well its a good thing we can talk to, well me and others, get ahold of Matsuda. Even I asked him in a Q&A topic that the show should be dark, or dark-ER.

So even as I want the show to be dark, TB is still good and shouldn't be bad-mouthed when it still has good stuff still.

Binker said:
Well let me ask this; what do you think of these episodes: Rubberface of Comedy, Clayface of Tragedy, Riddled, Meltdown, Strange Minds, The Laughing Bat, Night and the City, Batgirl Begins (both parts), Fistful of Felt, Fluers du Mal, The Apprentice, and TBvD?

Except for Riddled and TBvD, all of those suck.

Okay then, then for you Hippie Hunter and maybe everyone else; you don't hate TB you only like it to a certain degree.

What about the comic "The Batman Strikes"? The other thing, besides the DTV, of this series that has no censors.

Binker said:
Well its a good thing we can talk to, well me and others, get ahold of Matsuda. Even I asked him in a Q&A topic that the show should be dark, or dark-ER.

So even as I want the show to be dark, TB is still good and shouldn't be bad-mouthed when it still has good stuff still.

So others get mad at you by disagreeing with them?

Lets think logically. If we dont like the show, why would we read The Batman Strikes comic?

Because TB Strikes has things (like real guns and look and feel similar to BTAS/TNBA) that TB the show doesn't.

Someone who watches the show saw this topic. He says he agrees with both of us.

I guess most people just dislike the show. Doesn't mean something pops up from this show that would change people's minds for just a second.

But he also says that his problem with alot of you and your posts is that while alot of you make sense, you dont really have the right to say too much about the show since almost all of you havent seen any later episodes

All of the Johnny DC comics suck, even Justice League Unlimited

Binker said:
Here is the real reason why people hate The Batman:

They don't hate it.
Ah, yes, the all-wise Binker, here to tell me what I think. Where would I be without you? Conceivably, I would still be under the erroneous impression that I actually DO hate The Batman, not because it runs completely, 100% counter to BTAS and the comics, but because it just plain straight-up sucks nutsack. The writing is beyond awful, the character designs are freaking wierd, and the character backstories are generally ******ed.

Binker said:
They like it in dark episodes like in Strange Minds for example or the DTV The Batman vs. Dracula.
They do? Oh yes, of course they do, I forgot. Once again, Binker is here to tell me what I think about things. Although, before Binker's enlightenment of me, I could have sworn I really detested the DTV, and had never seen ANY episode of TB that I enjoyed, and I do check in on it occasionally to see if it improves.

Binker said:
Remember the cartoons before BTAS? How old and "grainy" they were, would you want that?
Oh right. Now I remember. We WERE all saying that we'd prefer ancient pre-BTAS animation. I honestly can't remember WHEN anybody requested that animation go back to the stone age, but surely, since Binker said so, we must have. I can really only remember wanting TB cancelled and replaced with a show that respects the character and mythos of Batman, but I guess that basically means the same thing in Binker's book. Can't imagine how though.

Binker said:
And people might think TB won't be dark to suit those fans, but except for the DTV which was dark, since its debut the show has become dark and maturing episode by episode.
The show is dark in the same way that the Megadeth episode of Duck Dodgers rocked.

Binker said:
A BTAS fan love this and so does me. Others too.
One BTAS fan loves it, and therefore, Binker is right. Of course. The logic is unarguable, pure astounding genius. By the way, the grammar in your entire post is appalling. Please work on it. It hurts my brain to look at it.

Binker said:
Just watch it and say to yourself: "It AIN'T replacing BTAS, it doesn't HAVE to be like BTAS, IT'S ITS OWN SHOW."
It AIN'T replacing BTAS, it's just STEALING all the characters with it's Godforsaken EMBARGO, IT'S A PIECE-OF-CRAP SHOW THAT VIOLATES SO MANY IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF THE BATMAN MYTHOS.

Katsuro said:
Man, I hate how everytime I express my intense hatred of this show, people accuse me of comparing it to BTAS or being a BTAS fanboy or something like that. My hatred of this show is in no way related to BTAS. See, some of you may forget that The Batman is actually based on a widely successful comic book character. I compare The Batman to the comics, and that's why I hate it. The comic books were awesome (at least, the comics from a certain era are awesome), and this show is terrible. I cringe every time I see this shows "Batman" move lightning speed to the other side of a villain. This isn't The Flash or Superman!! He has no superpowers! They are destorying the very concept of Batman by making him this way. And of course, what kind of Batman lets his sidekick get away with endangering his own life. Batman doens't take that crap. You screw up on the job, you're fired. He's fired many sidekicks for that crap. Yet in this show, it goes by without mention.

Then of course there's the hideous art and character designs. The Joker looks ******ed and cant even stand upright. Not to mention he doesn't wear shoes. And his plans are terribly lame. I saw one episode where he wanted to change a statues face to look like him. Wtf?!? OMG!! The Joker screwed up our statue!! What will we do?!? So many lives lost!! And if i'm not mistake (its been a while since i saw that episode) his attempt to drive a policeman crazy in this show was to hypnotize him or some crap. Whereas in the comics, he shoots Gordons daughter then shows him pictures of her naked and dying while midgets beat him on a roller coaster. And yeah, i get that it's a kids cartoon and they cant do all that stuff, which is exactly why this show should not exist.
A perfect response.

Binker said:
It did win a daytime emmy for sound though.
Unfortunately, none of us here complained about the sound quality.

Binker said:
I think of Joker's appearence similar to how he looked in Arkham Asylum.
...aaaaaaaaaaaaaand you didn't read Arkham Asylum.

Binker said:
Riddler looks like that because of not only who voices him, but the fact that making him creepy also means he won't be anything stupid like in the comics back in the old days. Riddler now in the comics (ex. HUSH) has made him more of a threat.
...so that means we can go back to the real Riddler now, right? Since the real Riddler is a threat now...right...?

Binker said:
And that ain't make-up, those are tatoos. Who would you be scared of? A Riddler with just a jumpsuit and puzzles for you to solve or one that has a gothic, creepy look and can find out who you are under that mask like "snap" and even threaten those around you?
Kind of like the REAL Riddler, the one from the comics? The real Riddler, the one from the comics, doesn't have "just a jumpsuit and puzzles." Dude murders people, and wears a pretty pimp-ass suit. Dude is stylin'.

Binker said:
Someone who watches the show saw this topic. He says he agrees with both of us.
Ooooh...anonymous sources...

Binker said:
Anything else? BRING IT ON!!!!
Are you seven years old, or eight?

Let's talk about how Batman should be:

Lets pretend for a moment that some people hate the obsessive ninja part of Batman. Well that was introduce in Batman: Year One and was put in BTAS and now in Batman Begins. Of course TB has that. And if you saw the film "Versus", the ninja stunts they did there is similar TB Batman does.

Ok, lets say people out there (not me) say that the Batman being a ninja sucks and want Batman to be "like he was". Well where do you start?

Let's subtract 20 years: 1986. That introduced to us Batman that's still here today. Now subtract another 20 years and you have 1966, what was going on in Batman at that time?

Well alot of people say stuff that is Silver Age but that ended...lets say before 1964. And the comics there were, while light, were getting serious and on their way to where O' Neil & Adams would take over. And of course the '60s show which was the campy take to Batman.

Subtract another 20 to 1946 and you have a goofy Batman, with Batman and Robin meeting aliens and riding a big eagle. Or go right back to the beginning in 1939 and he's killing people in every issue. Is that what Batman is? No, thats what Batman was.

We all know that BTAS uses elements form both the Burton film and the point where O'Neil & Adams began to the present. And what does TB have? TB uses many elements from several Batman incarnations:

60s:
The logo, Batman's suit, Batgirl's suit, Mr. Freeze as a villian, the bat poles in the cave, the Batmobile (well Batmobile #1), half of Catwoman's suit,.

Tim Burton's Batman movies:
Creepiness and semi-creepiness of characters, actions, and settings. Joker (semi), original version of Joker (creepy), Penguin from Batman Returns, the snow setting in Batman Returns reminded me of Burton while the inside Joker's mind, which in turn is based on The Cell, is very Burton-like, the Batboat is somewhat similar to the Bat SkiBoat, Batmobile #2 kinda represents the Batmobile from the first two films. In TB, the cave also uses the sewer systems, theres a debate right now if thats the same for Batman '89/Batman Returns for the cave. Believe it or not, Wayne Manor is a clone of the Batman Returns one.

Schumacher's Batman films:
Wayne CEO of his company rather than Fox, Mr. Freeze combination of villian and wife, Freeze freezing the city, the Riddler swinging and having gadgets inside the cane, bat symbols located in numberous places in the cave.

Comics:
Ellen Yin's name is based on New Commissioner Ellen Yindel from The Dark Knight Returns, Mayor Grange and the idea of having Hush, a post-No Man's Land-like batcave. And droogiedroogie2 said no, but Joker's (not whole design, just his face and hair) is based on Arkham Asylum. If not based, then the idea of.

Elseworlds:
Of course, The Batman vs. Dracula is based on the three part Red Rain books.

And you know what? Bruce Timm wanted to do vampires like having Man-Bat being a vampire bat and vampire characters like Nocturna in BTAS but couldn't. Now, TB's crew has done two vampire characters: THAT vampire Man-Bat and Dracula.

So basically, I found that this show consists itself with many elements of The Batman. They're mixed together.

I'm not saying for you to change your minds. Its just that when I hear people like you guys who say that its bad when in fact you haven't seen the whole show and just couple episodes mainly from Season One, then you shouldn't say its bad in the first place sicne you've seen a small part.

'The Batman' may contain alot of familiar elements of the Dark Knight's history (comic, film and TV). Individually, those elements may be great. However, when they all are presented together, the overall aesthetic value seems to drop. I recognize recurring themes to the Batman mythos in 'The Batman', I just find its total sum lacking. It's not a horrible show, but nothing I'd make a point to watch either.

EVERY show has its flaws, even BTAS. My only problems with BTAS/TNBA was

1) there were many different batcaves in every episode and no primary one. Once in the latter episodes and TNBA, there was a primary one. But still, even then there was different designs in certain episodes.

2) Every show was good, except Mudslide. Which I didn't like.

3) In TNBA; I hated, somewhat, that Batman turned hatefuil in my eyes in certain episodes. That was continued in Batman Beyond.

The Batman is a great show...so was BTAS...so was SuperFriends...so was the filmation's Batman show. Its all perspective. I remember watching BTAS when I was young. I was so excited with that show, and Batman '89/Batman Returns and I was starting getting the comics which at that time was the Knightfall series. I LOVED BATMAN! I couldn't wait to see it when I got home from school and my dad loved it that he either knew what would happen in the next episode or recorded it for me if the time changed or I was late coming home.

I remember my dad was so shocked that actors/actresses he knew were providing their voices to the show. I remember when he knew who did what, he would go "NO WAY!" Actual words.

Right now, kids like I was are experiencing what I was experiencing back then: new Batman movie, new Batman series, they are getting into Batman either for the first time or this is just another piece of Bat-Fan for them. And they are, or about to, getting the comics. Which thank god Infinite Crisis is happening for them since new readers can jump on OYL. And their dads, fans of the Dark Knight themselves, are experiencing it with them.

We, as fans, always let in new fans of our beloved character. Hey, back then, many loved Batman from the '60s show, they got into it. Even as this show has its problems, if new people, new younger people, can get into Batman from this show and the new movie, why should we scream that this should be taken off the air when in fact this show is doing what BTAS did for me and others, despite differences between the two shows.

Mister J said:
'The Batman' may contain alot of familiar elements of the Dark Knight's history (comic, film and TV). Individually, those elements may be great. However, when they all are presented together, the overall aesthetic value seems to drop. I recognize recurring themes to the Batman mythos in 'The Batman', I just find its total sum lacking. It's not a horrible show, but nothing I'd make a point to watch either.

i agree with you. It just makes for a confusing world in TB. Not all those elements should be mixed.

Red Rain is the base for Batman vs. Dracula? Aside from the aspect of Batman taking on Dracula and maybe the plot surrounding "the others", i thought this was just an animated version of Bram Stokers Dracula where Van Helsings role was replaced by Batman.

I like the show, as i said, but i sure dont love it. I wish they would stay a little more true to the original timeline of things, but i know there are factors that kind of prevented that. However, i dont think you can compare the era of TAS and the previous Batman film franchise to this modern era of Bat media we are in. You can no way compare the mania that occured between 89 and 97 to what we just experienced this last summer. This current cartoon isnt being pushed like TAS was, it also has a completely different time slot, which i think hurts TB. So it isnt getting the viewership it should for a character like Batman. The movie, as much as i enjoyed it, cannot compare to the previous 4 blockbusters as far as hype and media exposure. This also hurt the character. There was no Batmania to help push this resurrection. The comics. well, i have a buddy who runs 2 comic shops, and am friends with 2 others who own comic shops. There isnt an influx of new readers. You may get some who come in and pick up some books for a couple months, but they usually dont stick with it. It all comes down to the loyal fans who have been with the character for years. This is who is unhappy with TB. And i really do believe this is the majority that is watching the show and critisizing it. It just isnt the higher quality we come to expect.

Mister J said:

:up: It's not something anybody would tivo, but it's viewable if you have time to burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"