Batman Begins Will there be a Blu-Ray release eventually?

They would be majorly dropping the ball if they waited that long, it seems strage that one of their biggest movies ould be held up, but maybe they're making a HD/Blu-Ray super special edition?

WB is a cross media company (going both HD DVD and Blu Ray). When can we expect BB on the Blu Ray format?

WB is a cross media company (going both HD DVD and Blu Ray). When can we expect BB on the Blu Ray format?

Wait a while to see which side WB chooses. I currently am a HD DVD owner. Batman Begins has been on HD DVD for over a year now. WB was waiting until Blu-ray gets more profile 1.1 players out there for picture-in-picture special features. They want to include the "in movie experience" on the Blu-ray just like the HD DVD but they are holding it back until profile 1.0 is dropped from the product line. The PS3 was upgraded this month to a profile 1.1 player via firmware and Panasonic released the first stand alone 1.1 player this month. However, if Warner goes HD DVD exclusive, then obviously they will not release it on Blu-ray. However, if they stay neutral or go Blu-ray exclusive, I would expect it no later than July 15, 2008 -- 3 days before The Dark Knight hits theaters.

Wait a while to see which side WB chooses. I currently am a HD DVD owner. Batman Begins has been on HD DVD for over a year now. WB was waiting until Blu-ray gets more profile 1.1 players out there for picture-in-picture special features. They want to include the "in movie experience" on the Blu-ray just like the HD DVD but they are holding it back until profile 1.0 is dropped from the product line. The PS3 was upgraded this month to a profile 1.1 player via firmware and Panasonic released the first stand alone 1.1 player this month. However, if Warner goes HD DVD exclusive, then obviously they will not release it on Blu-ray. However, if they stay neutral or go Blu-ray exclusive, I would expect it no later than July 15, 2008 -- 3 days before The Dark Knight hits theaters.

I heard many rumors about Matrix and BB coming to Blu Ray. If WB is nuetral they should release some of their big titles. As of now I know BR is outselling HD 4:1 and at CES 2007 the rumor was floating that once the HD contract expires, WB will be going with BR. This whole 'format war' is such a mess. I just want BB on Blu Ray!

Format wars only ever end with customers losing. VHS betamax is a prime example. If I as a film company i'd say neutral, you've got nothing to lose, and you increase profits...

I heard many rumors about Matrix and BB coming to Blu Ray. If WB is nuetral they should release some of their big titles. As of now I know BR is outselling HD 4:1 and at CES 2007 the rumor was floating that once the HD contract expires, WB will be going with BR. This whole 'format war' is such a mess. I just want BB on Blu Ray!

4 to 1? Not really. More in the range of 2 to 1. Still though, Blu-ray is kicking ass. The PS3 did exactly what Sony wanted it to do: it created a tidal wave in favor of Blu-ray. We'll see how it goes. There's rumors flying around that both sides are courting WB. If WB goes red, I'll stick with HD DVD. If they go Blu, I'll be getting a Blu-ray player at some point in 2008 so I can get TDK in high def. I wish the prices would come down though for Blu-ray. It's ridiculous that the PS3 is the only reasonably priced Blu-ray player that can fully function. My HD DVD player does PIP straight out of the box yet profile 1.0 Blu players selling for twice as much can't do it. I'm hoping for 1.1 players in 2008 that are around $200 or less but I won't hold my breath.

4 to 1? Not really. More in the range of 2 to 1. Still though, Blu-ray is kicking ass. The PS3 did exactly what Sony wanted it to do: it created a tidal wave in favor of Blu-ray. We'll see how it goes. There's rumors flying around that both sides are courting WB. If WB goes red, I'll stick with HD DVD. If they go Blu, I'll be getting a Blu-ray player at some point in 2008 so I can get TDK in high def. I wish the prices would come down though for Blu-ray. It's ridiculous that the PS3 is the only reasonably priced Blu-ray player that can fully function. My HD DVD player does PIP straight out of the box yet profile 1.0 Blu players selling for twice as much can't do it. I'm hoping for 1.1 players in 2008 that are around $200 or less but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah your best bet would be the PS3 with the 1.1 update. I got a PS3 for gaming and, as you said, it Trojan Horsed Blu Ray into my home and so far I've been loving it. I wouldn't have made the HD jump had I not bought the PS3. There have been some great movies on Blu Ray because of studio support but I still want my WB favs like V for Vendetta, Batman Begins and Matrix

Pretty soon now that Warner Bros. has gone Blu-Ray exclusive.

ComingSoon said:
Warner Bros. Goes Blu-ray Disc Exclusive!

Is the High Definition format war over? With the following announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment, Blu-ray Disc will now control 70% of the market (Sony, Disney, Warner Bros., Fox, MGM and Lionsgate) compared to 30% for HD DVD (Paramount/DreamWorks, Universal):

In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."

Yes! this is great news. Now HD-DVD only has Universal and Paramount behind it. HD-DUD is a dead format walking. :up:

Yes! Its funny because I was just reading this thread yesterday and when I read the article about WB backing Blu-Ray I immediately got excited. We're gonna get Batman Begins on Blu-Ray!!!!!

Now I have another reason to get a PS3, lol.

great news about it coming to bluray. ive been so jealous that hddvd had it, now it looks like the lcoudsa are lifting. Ive been holding out on buying a copy (my roommate has a dvd of it) so i could get a bluray edition.
I expect it to be released in may or june with a preview of TDK. its good promotion and will sell more too.

I have a PS3, actually two. Been waiting patiently for BB on b-r? anyone want to buy a PS3, pm for details. Anyways do I have to wait more for the movie. They better add some sizzle to it, watching it on DVD hurts the full experience

Reports are that Fox played up WB's interest in HD DVD to get a huge payoff from the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). Warner wanted to go HD DVD exclusive but did NOT want a true stalemate: 3 studios vs. 3 studios. They contacted Fox and asked if Fox was interested in negotiating with HD DVD. So supposedly both Fox and Warner had tentatively agreed to a deal with HD DVD and then the BDA paid off Fox to retain exclusivity. At that point Warner did what would end the war quickest: join the side with the most studios.

Fox never had an interest in HD DVD. I think they pretended to be interested in order to get a nice payoff, and it worked very well. There are reports that both Fox and Warner were paid $500 million each. One report said Warner was paid $620 million, which would make sense because they are a bigger studio than Fox.

War is over, no doubt about it.

True, whichever format gets the most studios exclusive will win the war.

I can't believe they're gonna do another format war though... I mean come on, do they not remember Beta? One side is gonna lose, and lose BIG.

True, whichever format gets the most studios exclusive will win the war.

I can't believe they're gonna do another format war though... I mean come on, do they not remember Beta? One side is gonna lose, and lose BIG.

It's already practically over. HD DVD did lose big. But hell, if the Blu-ray Disc Association is willing to pony up $500+ million then more power to 'em.

I guess this new news has answered my question. I can't wait to get BB on Blu Ray and now TDK will be Blu Ray for sure!

came here to post the same article. Looks like they finally worked out the profile 1.1 technology.

So the profile 1.1 technology was something not worked out on the disc themselves--the PS3 will be capable of playing this profile 1.1, right?

So the profile 1.1 technology was something not worked out on the disc themselves--the PS3 will be capable of playing this profile 1.1, right?

yes, a recent firmware update allowed for it to be 1.1 profile compliant. Another update down the road will assure the system plays all 2.0 profile movies as well. It's the most future proof BD player on the market

I have a PS3 but Im wondering, whats the benefit of blu ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"