Worst Comic Book Movies of the Decade (2010-2019)

Iron Man 2 is definitely not the worst CBM of the 2010's, but it's the most disappointing for me. I had high hopes for Mickey Rourke as Whiplash. He looked like such a badass in the trailers, but he spent most of his time either in a jail cell or sitting in a room building stuff for Hammer. And the final fight scene with Tony and Whiplash lasted maybe 30 seconds?

2010: Jonah HeX
2011: Green Lantern
2012: Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance
2013: RIPD
2014: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
2015: Fant4stic
2016: Batman v. Superman
2017: Justice League
2018: Venom
2019: Dark PhoeniX

Oh yeah. Did anyone mention this turd from 2011? I know that Conan was a series of books before it was a comic book but the comic is pretty well known so I think it counts.

MV5BMTQ1NDUyODk5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk0MjIwNg@@._V1_.jpg
Wonderful. We now have more than thirty movies for our opening list.

2010: Jonah HeX
2011: Green Lantern
2012: Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance
2013: RIPD
2014: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
2015: Fant4stic
2016: Batman v. Superman
2017: Justice League
2018: Venom
2019: Dark PhoeniX

Wonderful. We now have more than thirty movies for our opening list.

Okay. I love this bit of GRSOV because it's Cage at his craziest - and I love it when Cage goes crazy in any movie! There are some bits of this film that are total ****, but this is one part I genuinely enjoyed. Cheers.

Iron Man 2 is definitely not the worst CBM of the 2010's, but it's the most disappointing for me. I had high hopes for Mickey Rourke as Whiplash. He looked like such a badass in the trailers, but he spent most of his time either in a jail cell or sitting in a room building stuff for Hammer. And the final fight scene with Tony and Whiplash lasted maybe 30 seconds?

Hey! I vaunt mye burhd.

I remember Rourke complaining after the movie came out that they chopped up his role and ****ed up the movie. I'm not sure if that's true but I remember when the first trailer came out, it seemed to imply that Vanko might have wanted revenge on the Stark family for some atrocities that happened as a result of Howard Stark's weapons tech. But then when the movie came out, it turned out he was pissed because his dad worked with Stark but then Stark had him deported for trying to sell the arc reactor. It made me wonder if there were changes to the script that took place during filming because they decided they didn't want to paint Howard in too bad of a light (given their plans to use him in Captain America and Peggy Carter) and essentially making him a merchant of death would have made that difficult. Maybe not though; this is just a theory I had. But if it had gone that way, I think maybe it could have made Vanko a more interesting and sympathetic villain.

Yeah, I completely agree. I guess it wasn't a terrible movie - but I remember sitting in the cinema being really pumped up, waiting for it to start ( my excitement was based on how awesome the first Iron Man film was - and still is).

I remember watching IM 2 and wondering when it was going to get good....and it only ever got mediocre. I remember thinking how Whiplash's exoskeleton suit offered very little protection, and none to his head - how did he think he was going to beat Iron Man with that ? Happy hitting him with the car should have been the end of that fight, as it would have killed him ( plus the whole walking slowly through all the explosions looked dumb - I realise Mickey Rourke has to try and look " too cool for school" but come on ! I dont even want to get into his Russian accented mumbling....)

Yeah, so not the worst but a massive disappointment.

Okay. I love this bit of GRSOV because it's Cage at his craziest - and I love it when Cage goes crazy in any movie! There are some bits of this film that are total ****, but this is one part I genuinely enjoyed. Cheers.
I love the hilarity of some scenes, this is one of them.

Mickey Rourke expressed dissatisfaction at working with Marvel Studio's back then. It is unfair to blame him for Iron Man 2's shortcomings if implying he was mostly responsible for looking stupid walking in slow motion as well as the design to the suit when that's not his fault.

Last edited:
Mickey Rourke expressed dissatisfaction at working with Marvel Studio's back then. It is unfair to blame him for Iron Man 2's shortcomings if implying he was mostly responsible for looking stupid walking in slow motion as well as the design to the suit when that's not his fault.

That's fair - the writers and director conceptualize the character and the action.

Rourke's performance wasn't great either but the bulk of Iron Man 2s faults do have to land on Jon Favreau.

However, regardless of whose fault it was the whole racetrack fight was ridiculous.

I wasn't aware Rourke was dissatisfied with Marvel at the time. I don't really blame him for my disappointment in Iron Man 2, I feel the director, and writers wasted a great talent like him and could've given him more to do and made him a more intimidating presence in the film.

He gets more buildup than payoff. A supervillain origin backstory, the Monaco race track fight, and his conversation in prison with Stark afterward ("If you can make God bleed, people will no longer believe in Him...."), and then he does nothing the rest of the movie except banter with Sam Rockwell (who frankly steals the show from him), sit at a computer monitor, and finally after Tony and Rhodey fight a swarm of drones, finally have a quick and anti-climactic fight at the tail end which is totally underwhelming. It's like after a couple establishing scenes, they didn't know what to do with him after that.

The first half of Iron Man 2 (everything up till the donut) was fantastic and it still holds up. After that, it becomes unfocused.

Understandable, and I also understand why the role of Vanko is the way it is in the movie.

But what do you count as the worst comic book movies of the decade?

Reactions: CJ
Understandable, and I also understand why the role of Vanko is the way it is in the movie.

But what do you count as the worst comic book movies of the decade?

Hard to say. I liked pretty much every CBM movie I saw this decade.

..Batman V Superman I guess. Tried watching it several times on TNT and always wound up changing the channel out of boredom.

..Batman V Superman I guess. Tried watching it several times on TNT and always wound up changing the channel out of boredom.
A worthy choice.

I wasn't aware Rourke was dissatisfied with Marvel at the time. I don't really blame him for my disappointment in Iron Man 2, I feel the director, and writers wasted a great talent like him and could've given him more to do and made him a more intimidating presence in the film.

Is Whiplash really an essential Iron Man enemy

If you're struggling to find a terrible superhero film then Batman v Superman is a good choice, but I might recommend the even worse Jonah Hex and Suicide Squad. I'm sure one of those will do the trick:cwink:

The 2015 F4 movie was the worst for me. Ever since the first X-men in 2000, I've seen nearly every movie based on a Marvel comic in theaters. The former being the sole exception. And I'm glad I decided to wait. It's clear that was only made because the rights were about to expire and Fox didn't want them to go back to Marvel. And not because they had a good script or anything like that.

If you're struggling to find a terrible superhero film then Batman v Superman is a good choice, but I might recommend the even worse Jonah Hex and Suicide Squad. I'm sure one of those will do the trick:cwink:

Yeah, I go back and forth between BvS and Suicide Squad on which was worse. I feel like BvS is regarded as the crappier film and rightfully so because it was indeed terrible and RUINED three of the most iconic comic book characters of all time. I know Affleck's Batman has his fans but I think even a lot of them won't deny that the writing in that film made Batman come off irrational and stupid, regardless of how good he looked in that one fight scene. The less said about Superman and coked up Lex Luthor, the better.

That said, Suicide Squad is just a GARBAGE movie. It pretty much has no redeeming qualities aside from a few performances (Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney), which aren't even really that good, they're just not as terrible as everything else around them. Like, BvS is a garbage movie too but I feel like Snyder was at least attempting to make a good film and just had no idea how to do it. Suicide Squad feels like Walmart Bargain Bin trash that shouldn't have even been released in theaters. Yet it's getting two semi-sequels because it turned a profit. Ugh.

Strangely, yeah he is.
But then again, in comics the archnemesis of Superman used to be a felon committed to escaping prison and attached to a purple jumpsuit, so nothing out of the ordinary.

I honestly thought Whiplash and Hammer were much better villains than Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3. I love Guy Pearce but he just came off like a D-List Lex Luthor (though still much better than actual Lex Luthor in BvS, lol).

Iron Man 3 was my favorite of the trilogy. (The finale on the harbor was awesome imo, so was the Air Force One scene)

Iron Man 3 was my favorite of the trilogy. (The finale on the harbor was awesome imo, so was the Air Force One scene)
It's still my favorite of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"