• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Worst Movie Cliches.

gwynplaine

L'homme qui rit.
Reaction score
_ The door that doesn't bounce back in the hero's face after being slammed open by said hero (see Rorsach in Watchmen, and countless other movies.)

_ The hero/heroin/villain being introduced by his boots/high heels coming out of a car first. (Stallone in Cobra, and countless other movies).

_ The famous rising shot to express the hero's despair, usually when holding a dead companion in his arms (I'm looking at you Wolverine in X-Men origin, and countless other movies.)

Etc... Here are a few cinematic cliches. I couldn't find a thread on the subject, if there is please lock/merge. Looking forward to reading yours.

-The killer gets up one last time (a lot of horror movies). Every time this happens, I'm reminded of that final scene of Space Mutiny where the MST3K guys are saying "And...he opens his eyes...come on, we know it's going to happen...open them!"

"Go before I change my mind!"

The wilhelm scream.

You just NEVER see that in real life. It becomes an absolute parody of grief and shock. I don't mind "No!". I do mind:

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Almost singlehandedly ruined TERMINATOR: SALVATION and REVENGE OF THE SITH. for me.

The wihelm scream is awesome. It's become more of a tradition now to use it since it started a long time ago. And the wilhelm scream was used in the OT I believe. It's a wink to old cinema and to let its director's know they grew up with those films. And they are in fact novies and that every movie isn't suppose to be realistic when those plots aren't realistic at all.

And probably the worst is when we think someone is dead but they really aren't. Kiss Kiss Bang bang did it in a brilliant way though. Like in War of the Worlds. How in God's name can someone survive hell raining down upon them and when he is going towards it unprotected?!

Why is it called the Wilhelm scream ?

I absolutely hate it when some low rung good guy or mook finds out some startling evidence for the evil scheme and then immediately goes and tells the villain and gets the "Have You Told Anyone Else?" speech which inevitably results in good guy/underling getting slaughtered. This or other variations occur even in otherwise great films like The Shawshank Redemption and LA Confidential, but it happens so often that it just causes me to groan every time I see it.

Jeez,

how we forget the

"Walking away like nothing is happening while **** behind me blows up" shot?

haha Wolverine is guilty of this one too!

I hate it when the bad guy is about to kill the good guy but actualy takes the time to say something and gets killed.

Beckinsale says it perfectly in Van Helsing: "If you're going to kill someone kill them. Don't stand there talking about it."

The superhero feels like he doesn't want to keep being the superhero. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hu... well, I understand it with Hulk.

Jeez,

how we forget the

"Walking away like nothing is happening while **** behind me blows up" shot?

haha Wolverine is guilty of this one too!
Lol. Good one.

I´ll catch you next time*insert hero name here*!!!

main character/hero walks in slo-mo to show his badassery.

the typical horror movie BS, with the slasher dead and it turns out at the end of the movie hes alive or he appears out of nowhere and kills someone.

fire in the backward of every Post-Apocalyptic movie

The superhero feels like he doesn't want to keep being the superhero. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hu... well, I understand it with Hulk.

Well, I think everyone would think of that if they were a superhero. If you were, would you want to do this for the rest of your life or just go on all happy about it?

I don't mind "No!". I do mind:

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Almost singlehandedly ruined TERMINATOR: SALVATION and REVENGE OF THE SITH. for me.
It was ok in "Watchmen" when Nite-Owl screamed it. It wasn't cheesy like Vader's in "Revenge of the Sith".

Horror movie characters being completely ******ed.

I´ll catch you next time*insert hero name here*!!!

main character/hero walks in slo-mo to show his badassery.

the typical horror movie BS, with the slasher dead and it turns out at the end of the movie hes alive or he appears out of nowhere and kills someone.
Yeah. Also the slomo "hero walk" with a group of people.

In "The Right Stuff" : Good.
In "Armaggedon" : Not so much.:woot:

The open the closet door and nothing is there, but then turn around and the killer gets you.

Friday the 13th Part 7 (when the girl sees the cat by the window)

^Yeah, or the variation with the bathroom mirror being opened and when it's closed the killer is reflecting in it.

The dreaded monologue where the villain explains to the hero how they became evil instead of just killing off the hero right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"