• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worst Movie Cliches.

The wilhelm scream.

You just NEVER see that in real life. It becomes an absolute parody of grief and shock. I don't mind "No!". I do mind:

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Almost singlehandedly ruined TERMINATOR: SALVATION and REVENGE OF THE SITH. for me.
That's not a Wilhelm Scream. :huh:

A Wilhelm Scream is a stock noise that has been used in like, thousands of movies.

Here is an example of Wilhelm Screams: [YT]cdbYsoEasio[/YT]

The dreaded monologue where the villain explains to the hero how they became evil instead of just killing off the hero right away.
Yeah, most villain monologues are pretty lame.

My first thought when reading the topic was, often in superhero movies, the villain always has to have a personal connection to the hero. Like how "Batman" made the Joker kill Batman's parents, or "Spider-Man 3" made The Sandman cause Uncle Ben's death.

Well, I think everyone would think of that if they were a superhero. If you were, would you want to do this for the rest of your life or just go on all happy about it?

Well, give me superpowers and I'd be profiting from them as if there's no tomorrow, so it'd be a different scenario.

That's not a Wilhelm Scream.

A Wilhelm Scream is a stock noise that has been used in like, thousands of movies.

Here is an example of Wilhelm Screams:

Oh.

Well, "Nooooooooooooooooooo!", then.

It was ok in "Watchmen" when Nite-Owl screamed it. It wasn't cheesy like Vader's in "Revenge of the Sith".

That's about the only time I've seen it work. But it was almost more of a scream of rage and grief than a coherent "Noooooooooo!"

Yeah, most villain monologues are pretty lame.

My first thought when reading the topic was, often in superhero movies, the villain always has to have a personal connection to the hero. Like how "Batman" made the Joker kill Batman's parents, or "Spider-Man 3" made The Sandman cause Uncle Ben's death.

Agreed.

The guy or girl realizing he or she made a huge mistake, realized that the person was "The one" and catches that person before he or she goes to Europe or another far away place.

Spontaneous "romantic" behaviour (eg. a character turning up at the object of their affections house) that would most likely result in a restraining order in real life.

It's the heroes destiny or he's the chosen one.

The guy or girl realizing he or she made a huge mistake, realized that the person was "The one" and catches that person before he or she goes to Europe or another far away place.

awful!

When a character is dying, one tear that the other character sheds magically revives that character from death.

2 things in a lot of independent films:

1. There's always a shot of a man and a woman sitting on the opposite ends of a couch being awkward.

2. Most independent movie titles have a "hand drawn" look to them.

In horror movies, when someone opens a closet door and a cat jumps out.

Ridiculously goodlooking women playing CSI Agents, Doctors etc. I mean yes, they do exist and we all want hot women operating on us but when every tv show and movie are full of them it's just stupid.

And that "Willhelm" scream or whatever it's called. That scream needs to be retired. Give it it's own hollywood square and funeral.

Edit:

Just saw the top post about the scream. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's tired of it.

Outrunning an explosion in slow motion. Except for comedy/satire.

Couple making passionate love standing up against a wall.

2 things in a lot of independent films:

1. There's always a shot of a man and a woman sitting on the opposite ends of a couch being awkward.

2. Most independent movie titles have a "hand drawn" look to them.
Lol:hehe: (funny because it's true).

^:woot:.

Also in most horror films, usually slashers, the heroin will inevitably end up in a tank top.

When a hero is shot it tends to almost always be in the arm and usually just a flesh wound.

The hero also always seem to be able to outrun a hail of bullets fired by bad guys' machine guns. (Either they are all very poor aim or the hero is incredibly fast:woot:).

That's the beauty of Tarantino my friend.

It's the heroes destiny or he's the chosen one.

Yeah, such a rediculously overused concpet. That's why John McClane is my favourite movie hero, he'sjust some sho who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• The villain creates the hero, and the villain the hero.
  • It's the hero's role to fullfill a prophecy, especially one he or she creates after after pursuing their own path.
  • The father becomes the son, son becomes the father AKA Luke Skywalker or Superman complex.
  • Heroes come from extraordinary or traumatic events
  • Hero and heroine get married at the end of the film after an incredible journey or adventure

Here are some of mine:

-Hero dodges bullets...like, always...or else it'd be a short movie, right?

-Female hostage...always a female hostage (usually daughter or ex-wife of hero).

-Regular citizens EASILY accessing government/restricted files...

-Passwords are usually an object or word on the same desk of the computer (i.e., name of dog, book)

-Ridiculous death traps hero escapes from (villain never seems to be around to witness death of hero...why!?)

-ALWAYS a parking spot available DIRECTLY in front of destination X...seriously

-Closing doors the hero barely gets through, which cuts off villain/henchmen from continuing chase

-Ex-husband and ex-wife get back together after ordeal (OMG, RLY?!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"