Superman Returns Would you have omitted a character? If so, who?

Martha Kent.

either use her with significance, or don't use her at all!
they could've used her a lot more effectively, especially at the beginning with helping Clark regain his focus in life. and even at the end, they could've atleast showed a scene where Superman acknowledges her atleast with a wink or something.
some strong words of wisdom would've been nice from her, in the beginning.

Dick, Jason, Parker Posey, young clark, Kal Penn, seriously wtf is this dude even doing in this movie. Lex is supposed to be a genius and he needs this idiot in the movie to do everything for him? rrrriiiggggghhhhhttttt. Does new krypton count as a character?

I would have ommitted the following:

1. Jason
2. Kitty
3. Richard
4. Bryan Singer
5. The Whack Pack of Harris & Daugherty

I would have added Mercy Greaves, Pa Kent, and a SUPER VILLAIN. Most likely I would have done a relaunch or just a new Superman film out of the box with an established Superman (maybe Caviezel).

SFII said:
Martha Kent.

either use her with significance, or don't use her at all!
they could've used her a lot more effectively, especially at the beginning with helping Clark regain his focus in life. and even at the end, they could've atleast showed a scene where Superman acknowledges her atleast with a wink or something.
some strong words of wisdom would've been nice from her, in the beginning.
Martha Kent: You do too much Clark....You're not Superman....Oh wait

dpm07 said:

1. Jason
2. Kitty
3. Richard
4. Bryan Singer

I would have added Mercy Greaves, Pa Kent, and a SUPER VILLAIN. Most likely I would have done a relaunch or just a new Superman film out of the box with an established Superman (maybe Caviezel).

I think a re-boot, maybe five years down the road, starring Caviezel as Superman would be a great idea. WB can get an ambitious young director looking to make a name for himself, to write and direct. Either that or go to Peter Jackson or Robert Zemeckis and offer them anything they want to do the films.

The part with young Clark served no purpose at all. Who am I joking, the whole part with Clark landing on the Kent farm and spending time with Ma was useless.

I'd cut him out, Jason, and RIchard

Mr. Socko said:
His name is now Jason Kent

Nope. It's either Jason Lane or Jason White. Lois doesn't know that Clark Kent is Superman. So, even if she knows that Superman is the father, she cannot change his name to Jason Kent, simply because she doesn't know Superman's real identity.

Woah woah woah, She knows in Superman 2 but not Returns? What kind of sequel is this.

So she slept with Superman and didn't even know it was Clark.........pfft

Mr. Socko said:
Woah woah woah, She knows in Superman 2 but not Returns? What kind of sequel is this.

So she slept with Superman and didn't even know it was Clark.........pfft

That's only one of the great things about SR. I'm not at all surprised by the movie's phenomenal performance in the B.O. :o

M.E.H.Z.E.B said:
Nope. It's either Jason Lane or Jason White. Lois doesn't know that Clark Kent is Superman. So, even if she knows that Superman is the father, she cannot change his name to Jason Kent, simply because she doesn't know Superman's real identity.
i vote for Jason-El.

dpm07 said:

1. Jason
2. Kitty
3. Richard
4. Bryan Singer

lol.....agreed. except, I liked kitty. please tell me they are going to fire singer and start over....

WTFwuzThT said:
They are going to fire Singer and start over.
good. he needs to stop ruining perfectly good comic book movies.

That-Guy said:
As I've stated before, I felt that this movie lost focus of its main character. There was just too much going on with the supporting cast and it felt to me that while Singer and his writing team had some fairly good ideas about what to do with them, they had little to no idea about what to do with Superman/Clark.

My question is, do you think they should have trimmed down the cast a bit? If so, who would you omit? Here are my 3 choices:

1. Jason. Yeah, this will probably be the person most people didn't want in the film. Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea of Supes having a son with Lois, but I didn't like the way this was carried out. Jason is a very two-dimensional character who is only there as a plot device and his presence created some really stupid moments (Lois going to investigate a possible terrorist act and she brings her son with her? Yeah, okay).

2. Richard. Don't get me wrong. I really liked this character and I have become a fan now of James Marsden. But this character should not have had half the screentime that he did. It simply wasn't necessary. Although I liked him, he took a LOT of the focus off of Superman... so much at times I wanted to see Lois end up with him over Superman simply because it felt like they actually cared about each other instead of just resented one another despite an obvious attraction. In the scenes between Lois and Superman, it almost felt like I was watching Gail and Dwight from Sin City.

3. Kitty. Parker Posey in a pointless role playing Parker Posey in a pointless role. Some people likened her character to Valerie Perrine's Miss Tessmacher. I refuse to do so for 2 reasons: 1. Valerie Perrine was hot and 2. I didn't want to stomp her to death by the end of the movie.

Jason :down

Omit Bryan Singer! :D

I keep wondering if Brett Ratner would've done a better job.

I'd say Jason and Kitty. Richard can stay because in eliminating Jason, he no longer becomes and issue for Lois. Supes is back Richard gets kicked to the curb. It happens every day, and in lots of movies. She's engaged to him but not married so their not technically a family. Add a kid and the situation gets sticky, especially if the kid is not the fiancee's and theyy've been living their lives as though he was. Eliminate jason, problem solved.

Kitty can go because well Parker Posey is annoying. She was annoying in everthing she's been in and she's annoying in this. Were she played by another actress she probably wouldn't have been as annoying, but nearly as useless all the same.

And its sad that kal penn was in that role when it could have gone to some poor unknown who really needed the cash. He was basically and extra.

Cats said:
Omit Bryan Singer! :D

I keep wondering if Brett Ratner would've done a better job.

Well, considering we got 2 good X-Men movies and one bad one...

Of course, that's just my opinion. Honestly, I'm wondering the same thing. As big of a hack as Ratner was (and still is), I just can't help but think that relaunching this franchise as a continuation of PARTS of the old franchise was a monumental mistake and thus a big part of the reason this movie has little to no return crowd.

And now, reading Singer's idiotic comment that he might do a Batman vs. Superman movie someday and if he did, he figures "Batman would be the bad guy," I think Singer should hang it up for good when it comes to superheroes. He did well with X-Men because that was a series that could afford to be minimalistic as far as costumes and fantastic elements go, but with Superman, I think he really dropped the ball. Yes, the '78 movie was great, but if that's the only thing your using to give you background on a character who has been featured in EVERY type of medium, you're probably not going to do him justice.

WTFwuzThT said:
They are going to fire Singer and start over.

I wish you were right, but I have a bad feeling they'll stick with him. He's supposed to be at Comic Con talking about the film, so that must mean WB is standing by him (Why, I have no idea).

dpm07 said:
I wish you were right, but I have a bad feeling they'll stick with him. He's supposed to be at Comic Con talking about the film, so that must mean WB is standing by him (Why, I have no idea).

maybe you should get your head out of your ash, and relalize singer cares alot for the superman character. He respects the charater, and made a film that really show this. Perhaps you should stop expecting the movie to be like a 1990s superman cartoon aimed at little kids. Respect a man, and perhaps one day you may recieve respect back. But you have no respect for him, why? Because you wanted the movie to be like an episode of superman the animated series. You need to undertsand my friend really stop acting like just because the movie wasn't like a Bruce Timm or paul dini superman cartoon, it just not good or Singer is a bad director. Singer is a very good director, im sure you yourself could do no better. :)

For me the thing is not even about wherethere singer is a good director or not the thing is the guy obviously took a wrong turn with this film,Now before i get the crusaders of superman return on my back let me clarify i enjoyed this movie and will get it on dvd. The thing about this film is its a great film but to me it doesnt feel like a great film about superman more a great film about a guy with powers that has a similar life to superman. None of the elements of this film feel like elements i would expect from a superman film.

Again i state this film was great and i enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"