Superman Returns Would you have omitted a character? If so, who?

Eros said:
maybe you should get your head out of your ass, and relalize singer cares alot for the superman character. He respects the charater, and made a film that really show this. Perhaps you should stop expecting the movie to be like a 1990s superman cartoon aimed at little kids. Respect a man, and perhaps one day you may recieve respect back. But you have no respect for him, why? Because you wanted the movie to be like an episode of superman the animated series. You need to undertsand my friend really stop acting like just because the movie wasn't like a Bruce Timm or paul dini superman cartoon, it just not good or Singer is a bad director. Singer is a very good director, im sure you yourself could do no better. :)

I have to disagree with you there. I have no doubt that Singer cares about the character, but if he cared about him as much as you said, then he would have made a movie about him and not a movie where Superman is simply used as a plot device whenever someone needs to be saved. At times, SR almost felt like an issue of "Marvels," which was a Marvel comic book series that came out in the 90's where spectators were the main characters and they were trying to adjust to a world with super-powered beings. While that's a great concept for a comic book, it certainly isn't for a Superman movie... at least not one where Superman is to be the central character.

jensmith said:
1. Richard
2. Jason

For me its like this

1. Jason
2. Jason
3. Jason
4. Jason
5. Jason
6. Jason
7. Jason

Although i think they should have done with a more darker lex luthor maybe something like the one in smallville but more darker lex just wasnt threatning.

Eros said:
maybe you should get your head out of your ass, and relalize singer cares alot for the superman character. He respects the charater, and made a film that really show this. Perhaps you should stop expecting the movie to be like a 1990s superman cartoon aimed at little kids. Respect a man, and perhaps one day you may recieve respect back. But you have no respect for him, why? Because you wanted the movie to be like an episode of superman the animated series. You need to undertsand my friend really stop acting like just because the movie wasn't like a Bruce Timm or paul dini superman cartoon, it just not good or Singer is a bad director. Singer is a very good director, im sure you yourself could do no better. :)

Now here's a real DoSV member!

Eros said:

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I'll keep my head in my ass if it means I don't have to watch Singer disgrace the screen with a poor presentation of his Superman courtesy of his inflated ego.

Firs of all, you really have no concept of the DCAU or you wouldn't have made the comment that STAS was aimed at just little kids. As for respect...He's made good films, I'll give him that; However, SR is not one of them, IMO. Singer is a good director, but he was a poor choice for Superman due to his blind fanaticism and fetish to do what amounts as little more than a modern rehash with a couple of new things of the Donner film. This was really a poor film, and the lack of people wanting to see it is illustrated by WoM spreading. You say I could do no better? Are you sure? Do you know what I could do or couldn't do? By stating this as absolute fact, you are insinuating you know me. You do not.

If you wonder if I could do the job, get WB to hire me to write the story. Put your money where your mouth is. If you think I couldn't do it, get on the horn, and get someone to throw me a contract. You don't know what my education is, or my background knowledge of superheroes. You might be surprised at what I could do if given an opportunity. Then again, you might not. If you like Singer's approach with SR, you probably wouldn't like my approach.

WTFwuzThT said:
Dick, Jason, Parker Posey, young clark, Kal Penn, seriously wtf is this dude even doing in this movie. Lex is supposed to be a genius and he needs this idiot in the movie to do everything for him? rrrriiiggggghhhhhttttt. Does new krypton count as a character?

Looking for a White Castle?

I would have ommited Superman. Why was he even in the movie?

;)

I would have cut Superman out...

Just kidding. I would have cut out Stanford, still keep the guy, just not hype his role as much.

Nerial said:
Absolutely loved the kid. I thought they balanced him perfectly. Honestly, I get the 'father/son' stuff, but I more took his presence as a sign that, yes, things change, but not all the changes are bad. Every other change Clark had was negative; I loved the way he looked at Jason at the end as if realizing not everything ended up going downhill.

Anyway, for characters I'd drop...young Clark. I thought he did great running and jumping, but it just felt so out of place. I would have much preferred to see more of Kal-El/farm Clark than that bit.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cut the Kid, Kumar, young supes, His mom was badly scripted,...oh and the plot can go. The main plot and the sub plots...GONE!!!!!

That-Guy said:
I have to disagree with you there. I have no doubt that Singer cares about the character, but if he cared about him as much as you said, then he would have made a movie about him and not a movie where Superman is simply used as a plot device whenever someone needs to be saved. At times, SR almost felt like an issue of "Marvels," which was a Marvel comic book series that came out in the 90's where spectators were the main characters and they were trying to adjust to a world with super-powered beings. While that's a great concept for a comic book, it certainly isn't for a Superman movie... at least not one where Superman is to be the central character.

agreed

Tke Nolan's example and make a good DC movie based on the MAIN character.

They never gave anyone a chance to even think of liking anyone better than Batman cause that was HIS movie.

Omit KUMAR...he did and said absolutely nothing.

That-Guy said:
At times, SR almost felt like an issue of "Marvels," which was a Marvel comic book series that came out in the 90's where spectators were the main characters and they were trying to adjust to a world with super-powered beings. While that's a great concept for a comic book, it certainly isn't for a Superman movie... at least not one where Superman is to be the central character.
Yeah Marvels was great but it doesn't make a good Superman movie that last 157 minutes with Superman hardly in the movie and when he does come out he has no good dialogue.

The BatDude said:
Yeah Marvels was great but it doesn't make a good Superman movie that last 157 minutes with Superman hardly in the movie and when he does come out he has no good dialogue.

Gosh This does well for The Batman franchise...People will definately want more Batman now cause most fans are gonna switch character preference due to one movie being better than the other. Thank you singer, this is Batman's era now!!!!!

chaseter said:
Omit KUMAR...he did and said absolutely nothing.

He dropped the thing into the water and pushed a button!!!!111111 :eek::ghost::supes: oscar worthy!!!!

I might be the only person on earth that after seeing the flick, kinda fell in love with the idea of Jason but wished that Richard could've been swept under the rug. The repeating of Brando's lines at the end sealed the deal. We're in for a good ass sequel if they keep that **** up.

casketmouth said:
agreed

Tke Nolan's example and make a good DC movie based on the MAIN character.

They never gave anyone a chance to even think of liking anyone better than Batman cause that was HIS movie.

Exactly. BB is a perfect example of a good superhero movie because even though there are a lot of characters in it, the story never feels like its actually ABOUT anyone but Batman. The other characters are all mixed in accordingly.

If Batman Begins had followed Superman Returns's pattern, it would have gone like this:

1. All the scenes of Bruce Wayne exploring the world and training to become Batman would have been cut. Instead, there would be a voice over by Liam Neeson and a needlessly expensive credit sequence.

2. The movie would begin in Gotham, where the first characters we are introduced to are Jonathan Crane and Carmine Falcone, followed quickly by a scene where Alfred arrives in the Wayne jet to pick up Bruce in some foreign country. Bruce says nothing, and they go back to Wayne Manor.

3. What follows are a lot of scenes that feature Rachel Dawes and her new man, D.A. Finch, while Bruce lurks in the background with a jealous look on his face, then some scenes with Gordon, more with Crane, Lucius Fox, etc.

4. Bruce figures out that he's going to become the Batman. Of course, he never says anything to indicate this... we just see a bunch of bats fly around him in the cave and then next thing you know, he's dressed like one and kicking the crap out of a bunch of bad guys.

5. More scenes with Rachel where she confronts Bruce about leaving for 7 years. His response is brief and completely unsatisfying, ("I went to China to llearn some fighting moves" or something) and then he says "Goodnight, Rachel." (He'll say this line ten more times in the film). More with Crane, Gordon, Falcone, and then we are introduced to Ra's al Ghul.

6. Batman saves the city (never uttering a word) and defeats the bad guys. He gets seriously injured, however, and is taken to the hospital. They cut his body armor off to operate on him but leave the mask on so no one figures out his identity. Later, Rachel tells Bruce that the random kid she saves in the Gotham attack is their son. There's a scene at the end where Batman stands over the kid's bed as he's sleeping and starts reciting lessons that Ducard/Ra's taught him: "Training is nothing, the will is everything, etc." Then we see Batman soar past the bat-signal. The end.

First of all would be jason. I don't think this idea should of been used because it's not part of the comic. Personally I have no problem with lois involved with someone else. Superman left and she just moved on. It would of been cool to see the man of steel visiting his dead planet for a brief moment.

hmmm omitted a character....lets see..kal penn..thats bout it

That-Guy said:
Exactly. BB is a perfect example of a good superhero movie because even though there are a lot of characters in it, the story never feels like its actually ABOUT anyone but Batman. The other characters are all mixed in accordingly.

If Batman Begins had followed Superman Returns's pattern, it would have gone like this:

1. All the scenes of Bruce Wayne exploring the world and training to become Batman would have been cut. Instead, there would be a voice over by Liam Neeson and a needlessly expensive credit sequence.

2. The movie would begin in Gotham, where the first characters we are introduced to are Jonathan Crane and Carmine Falcone, followed quickly by a scene where Alfred arrives in the Wayne jet to pick up Bruce in some foreign country. Bruce says nothing, and they go back to Wayne Manor.

3. What follows are a lot of scenes that feature Rachel Dawes and her new man, D.A. Finch, while Bruce lurks in the background with a jealous look on his face, then some scenes with Gordon, more with Crane, Lucius Fox, etc.

4. Bruce figures out that he's going to become the Batman. Of course, he never says anything to indicate this... we just see a bunch of bats fly around him in the cave and then next thing you know, he's dressed like one and kicking the crap out of a bunch of bad guys.

5. More scenes with Rachel where she confronts Bruce about leaving for 7 years. His response is brief and completely unsatisfying, ("I went to China to llearn some fighting moves" or something) and then he says "Goodnight, Rachel." (He'll say this line ten more times in the film). More with Crane, Gordon, Falcone, and then we are introduced to Ra's al Ghul.

6. Batman saves the city (never uttering a word) and defeats the bad guys. He gets seriously injured, however, and is taken to the hospital. They cut his body armor off to operate on him but leave the mask on so no one figures out his identity. Later, Rachel tells Bruce that the random kid she saves in the Gotham attack is their son. There's a scene at the end where Batman stands over the kid's bed as he's sleeping and starts reciting lessons that Ducard/Ra's taught him: "Training is nothing, the will is everything, etc." Then we see Batman soar past the bat-signal. The end.

Or you could just watch B89

Singer is a good director but that doesn't mean he is good for comic book adaptions. Look i know he cares for the charcter but that doesn't mean he loves the charcter theres a difference . He cares for the charcter because it reminds him of himself because he adopted a different from most of the world. He doesn't love the charcter because he based the history on only two aspects of the charcter which is the george reeves television show and the donner films. If he loved the charcter he would of went through the history. He changed the mythology of superman big time by adding a son and lois having a kid which i think threw people off. Not every comic movie is going to be perfect look at spiderman instead of webshooters he shoots web from his arm. Batman begins has bruce training with ras al gul. These are minor changes but a kid is a huge change to the mythology.

Singer is a good director but that doesn't mean he is good for comic book adaptions. Look i know he cares for the charcter but that doesn't mean he loves the charcter theres a difference . He cares for the charcter because it reminds him of himself because he adopted a different from most of the world. He doesn't love the charcter because he based the history on only two aspects of the charcter which is the george reeves television show and the donner films. If he loved the charcter he would of went through the history. He changed the mythology of superman big time by adding a son and lois having a kid which i think threw people off. Not every comic movie is going to be perfect look at spiderman instead of webshooters he shoots web from his arm. Batman begins has bruce training with ras al gul. These are minor changes but a kid is a huge change to the mythology.

That-Guy said:

lolollol:)I kind of have to agree with all that, i admit while i think it was a good flick,superman just didn't feel he needed to speak to mere "mortals" to much.

Eros said:
lolollol:)I kind of have to agree with all that, i admit while i think it was a good flick,superman just didn't feel he needed to speak to mere "mortals" to much.

Yeah... I don't know if Singer simply wasn't confident in Routh's acting ability (and if he wasn't then he shouldn't have hired the guy), if scenes were just cut due to time constraints, or if he just sees superman as the strong, REALLY silent type. I'm not sure. But it was like, even the lines he did say weren't very well written or interesting most of the time. There are ways of making writing a great character who isn't overtly talkative but is still inspiring and heroic... Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a great example of this. He's often a man of few words, but when he does speak, we pay attention. We believe in him. When Superman speaks, it's usually just saying something like "Goodnight, Lois" or... um... "Goodnight, Lois."

retconned said:
If you think about it, Singer omitted Clark Kent.

Singer very nearly omitted Kal-El (Clark on the farm). Clark Kent of the DP was clearly visible in the film.

i would've omitted Jason and Richard, mostly because soap-opera-ish storylines tend to get messy for a superhero franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"