X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Zarex

Zarex Registered

Possibly, but the D23 Expo in August seems like the most likely venue for an announcement of the MCU slate after FFH.

2. Carlo Comicus

Carlo Comicus Registered

Alison Blaire likes this.
  3. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Registered

Fox have frequently proven to be a terrible studio for super-hero properties. Pretty much every film in this series has suffered from pre-production problems, be it awful scheduling or last minute budget cuts. Kinberg almost certainly suffered in the same way previous film-makers have.

... But. I'm not really seeing the production drama you had for duds like Fan4stic. The 2-film plan was scrapped before the film was made. The film was shot, and then extensively re-shot. The added train sequence is probably the best action the film has. That isn't studio interference, that's an attempted rescue.

Surely it was also an attempt to ape Logan and give the impression that the film is some kind of prestige piece and character study,

Endeavor, Confusion, Xeno and 2 others like this.
  4. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Registered

The third act change wasn’t even the studio’s call, that was Kinberg. What was studio interference was likely cutting out nearly half a hour of footage and shortening it to under two hours, which resulted in the rushed pacing and that’s the main problem with the movie.

Judging from interviews that seems to be the case. However, the difference between Logan and Dark Phoenix is that audiences are aware that the former is the “real” name of Wolverine as he has been referred to as that many times throughout the series. Jean has only been referred to as “Phoenix” in single scene in the entire series before this film and that scene is from a 13 year old film...

Combine that with the marketing difficulties that several sites have been reporting since March(it had less awareness than Rocketman in May before Disney gave it a last minute push) you get this problem:

And that’s not even quarter of the comments that I found.

#15304 Hand Banana, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Weren't you the same person saying opening weekend for Dark Phoenix will be sizeable because comments from people on social media shows they just learned Sansa is playing that character and they'll go and watch the movie?

I'm sure if I searched social media right now I can find 15 people that agree with a given opinion and/or "fact" I want to sell. Doesn't mean anything.

#15305 EnDz0n3, Jun 18, 2019
  6. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Registered

I know which post you are referring to, but I didn’t mention Box Office.

It was The Hollywood Reporter that said this movie had less awareness than Rocketman, not me. In hindsight these three tweets seem to suggest that.

#15306 Hand Banana, Jun 18, 2019
  7. The Guard

The Guard Registered

I just said? Umm...when?

1. A smaller investment than previous movies. The reported budget is $200 million. I don't buy that for a second, deleted scenes and reshoots be damned.

2. They didn't give him the go ahead to do two movies, did they?

It's not a conspiracy theory to point out that there are common realities of big budget filmmaking that less established directors have less control over. DARK PHOENIX is hardly the first studio controlled/edited/managed film, and it won't be the last.

Umm...when?

I have put none of my recent comments in anything resembling the context of "This is why the movie isn't selling". Like...none.

No one is arguing that some things didn't work as planned.

I'm not even discussing the movie's popularity or quality. I'm responding to a statement that FOX didn't somehow compromise this film, which, given their track record, is laughable.

8. The Guard

The Guard Registered

They weren't discussed directly. They were shown.

Like half the movie is about her being emotionally tested, her emotional reaction to things, her difficulty controlling those reactions, the traumas that eventually creates, and then her dealing with the aftermath of those emotions and traumas.

9. martinp1

martinp1 Registered

anyone know any truth to supposed rumor of the movie starting off with a baseball game and then the Shi'ar spaceship landing on the school grounds?

[​IMG]

10. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't know about that, but that looks reminiscent of an X-Men comic from around #301 or so, when the X-Men were playing baseball and then Rogue flew up to catch the ball and went so high into the atmosphere that she passed by Air Force One and left a lipstick mark on the plane window while President Ronald Reagan was sitting in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charzhin0 and martinp1 like this.
  11. martinp1

martinp1 Registered

12. Cktopl33

Cktopl33 Registered

Fox never okayed a two-picture deal with Kinberg, from what I understand. It's obvious the studio was aware of Kinberg's idea of a two-parter script when he pitched it and wrote it during pre-production. But they only told him to condense into one film and change other parts of the script after they greenlit money for production costs on the movie. So Kinberg found out he wouldn't be doing a two-parter right before they got ready to start shooting (thus had to rework the story to fit the production costs given by the studio). Kinberg apparently budgeted for a two-parter but that's not what the studio gave him. This was obviously because only a small handful knew the studio wouldn't be around for much longer but failed to tell anyone else working at Fox. Sure, they could have spared all this trouble and told the creative team there won't be more movies after this when the concept of a two-parter was first proposed thereby giving more time to properly rewrite the movie (or even shoot a completely different story), but that wasn't their concern. None of the films entering production at the time or plans for future projects from other creative teams were given any thought. The deal was more important (and more profitable for them). I don't think some of the execs attached to this movie at that time were 'in the know' about Fox's plans to sell. They probably got the word right at the last minute when getting ready to secure the budget to the creative team on this project. Even high level executives weren't aware ahead of time of any plans for an acquisition (which were going on long before Dark Phoenix started shooting) and found themselves abruptly let go during the merging process much to the shock of everybody else at Fox.

#15312 Cktopl33, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  13. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I'll just leave this here, dated September 2018. Here you’re laying all/most of the blame for Apocalypse on:
    Here you are defending Kinberg because he was “only” the scriptwriter for Apocalypse, not its director:
    Not to mention here where you made up a person out of thin air to be the boogyman that supposedly ghost-directed Fan4stic. Well now we know Kinberg caught the directing bug from *that* movie and Apocalypse before it:
    Oh and this one where we should be excited that an X-men movie is finally under a "unified vision" until I guess it isn't because the new narrative is "Kinberg has bosses so Dark Phoenix isn't his unified vision any more."
    Hindsight is 20/20.

#15313 EnDz0n3, Jun 19, 2019
    Endeavor and psylockolussus like this.
  14. Dark Raven

I think Kinberg only found out it wasn't going to be a two parter the day after it was released. But then he only just found out about the Disney Fox deal the other day too. At least he takes comfort in being able to work on the sequel to Fant4stic, or so he thinks. :o

Endeavor and EnDz0n3 like this.
  15. SumT

SumT Registered

that would have been too good to be true.
    this franchise is not about that.
    is all about drama and people crying, well Erik mostly :funny::funny:

16. Dark Raven

A baseball game is the kind of thing I could see happening in an MCU version of X-Men though where it shows you their characters and them having more fun and hanging out.

Rogue in that other baseball scene was wearing the wrong thing to a game. She was dressed more like a day at the beach as she was wearing a bikini and a skimpy top over it.

That could actually be from the same issue that Cyclops fought Storm for leadership of the X-Men.

17. SumT

SumT Registered

anything with the X-Men together as real FRIENDS and having free time together for more than 30 seconds would be the glory to me.

and yeah, Im sure Marvel will do it quite a few times during the sequels. I just cant wait

Confusion, henzINNIT and jignat like this.
  18. Sage2016

Sage2016 Registered

Well it took 2 weeks but my local no longer has Dark Phoenix on their screen list. The final 2 screens were given to Aladdin and Rocketman.

19. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Registered

So we're to assume the same studio that gave Kinberg the money and freedom to shoot an entirely new third act later seized control of the project and made further adjustments? Why would we assume that? We already know that the longer rough cut was screened, with the old third act, and that it tested poorly. Is there any reason to think the other changes were studio mandated when it is generally accepted that the biggest change was by Kinberg himself?

The problem with the film isn't rushed pacing. It's much deeper than that. Hell, I've heard plenty of complaints that the film is boring.

EnDz0n3 likes this.
  20. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I did have to laugh at the armed guards/soldiers having shoulder flashes saying 'MCU' :funny: 'Mutant Containment Unit', or 'Mutant Control Unit', I guess, but I found it funny!

Confusion and jignat like this.
  21. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Registered

I remember reading that somewhere.

The rushed pacing is what made it boring to a lot of people. The Independent reviews explained it pretty well:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is a superficial disappointment with nothing fresh to say – review

This guy sums it up.

#15321 Hand Banana, Jun 19, 2019
    Tymminator likes this.
  22. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

Legendary X-Men Writer Chris Claremont Reacts To Dark Phoenix bombing: “It’s not ideal.”

Claremont's vision for how the movies should continue post-DOFP is quite interesting. People should check it out. I agree with how he'd handled the Dark Phoenix cinematically.

#15322 Detective Conan, Jun 19, 2019
  23. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

24. Dark Raven

For the MCU X-Men film, they need something called the KCU: Kinberg Containment Unit or Kinberg Control Unit. They're the Disney guys who stop him from working on anymore movies.

Endeavor and ludovica like this.
  25. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick