X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jul 26, 2018.

1. SumT

SumT Registered

they should have done that after 2014 and Dofp. But since the master and icon SImon Kinberg didnt want to, Fox wasted a huge opportunity and a lot of dollars. Bad for them

2. JP

JP Smelly

XMA and DPh simply shouldn’t have happened.

3. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

4. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

Medusa Man. The **** outta here with that.

psylockolussus likes this.
  5. Erik Lensherr

Erik Lensherr Registered

6. The Original Bamfer

The Original Bamfer Big, Bald and Beautiful

It was just the temporary name for Red Lotus....

...which was just the temporary name for, um, Ariki? :huh:

7. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Neat. Would've looked much better than the Signs rejects. Plus, a cool callback to MiBII

8. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Wow, they're worse than the Captain Marvel Skrulls. How is that even possible

9. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

Too many liberties.

10. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

It looks like a cross between Swamp Thing and an orc from WoW. They didn't even get the chin right.

11. Atakan

Atakan Registered

I know people don't like this film. I think it has so many problems but that space shuttle sequence is not one of them. Zimmer's score shines in this scene. Shots and VFX looks great too.

12. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

Yeah the shuttle rescue was classic 80s-90s X-Men teamwork. So of course they couldn't maintain that momentum.

shinlyle likes this.
  13. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Just shows that Kinberg doesn't really care about the X-Men lore! The only bright side to an in name only Red Lotus is that Red Lotus is a character that few people remember from the comics. And the whipping braids didn't even look cool in the film! seriously what a creative master Kinberg is!

But poor Selene. A fan who cosplays can do much better compare to the look that they gave to her.

14. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Selene and Red Lotus were crap, no doubt about that. I think they marginalised them even more in the movie after the outcry over how bad they looked as interpretations of those characters. Selene was a hasty replacement for Psylocke and Red Lotus/Ariki/whoever a replacement for someone else (Sunfire wasn't it?)

This franchise has been badly handled, no one can deny that, but seeing the artwork for Phoenix in space in costume and the Skrulls, I am curious about the earlier versions of the film.

It's hard to keep track of when the Shi'ar were removed and the Skrulls inserted so I'm not sure who/what was in the finished version of the movie before reshoots were done.

Amazon UK now gives the Blu-ray release date as October 7.

psylockolussus likes this.
  15. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Question is: Who did they not marginalize after the bad press/reaction of the screenings? I'm struggling to find a single character/actor Simon Kinberg's "Dark Phoenix" improved with his writing/directing.

Ironically perhaps the actors not part of the original Capitol third act (that means actors except McAvoy, Sheridan and Turner) got bigger roles because of the new train sequence but that's all relative. Storm, Nightcrawler et al were still non entities in the movie.

psylockolussus and Tymminator like this.
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

So the Skrulls are a bunch of wires and tentacles...thank god they didn't make into the film.

Kahran Ramsus and psylockolussus like this.
  17. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Well if he can't write a good script on his own, him not able to give a good over all direction to the franchise, is true to his creative talent.... Truly the worst. Bad as a writer, bad as a director and bad in mapping out the series!

Just so misguided that eXecutives of foX gave him so much power that he derailed the franchise just five years after dofp.

Tymminator and TheVileOne like this.
  18. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Well, everyone was 'underserved' in the movie, weren't they?

The Phoenix story was un-earned. The characters not developed enough.

It proves the MCU way is the best way. Hopefully Disney will starts seeding solo X-Men characters in existing properties, to set them up properly.

But when i read how the Russo brothers would only have had Wolverine survive the Snap, it doesn't fill me with huge hope that we are going to get a totally transformed treatment of the X-Men.

19. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

In the original Infinity Gauntlet miniseries, only Cyclops and Wolverine from the X-Men survived the Snap if I recall correctly.

20. Erik Lensherr

Erik Lensherr Registered

Chris Claremont confirmed Disney ruined Dark Phoenix

The acclaimed writer of X-Men story 'The Dark Phoenix Saga' opens up about Hollywood's 2 attempts at bringing it to life — and what he wants to see next

Supperhero likes this.
  21. Drunken Rider

Drunken Rider Lurker from the shadows

^Eh who cares at this point. What's done is done.

#15521 Drunken Rider, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    psylockolussus and TheVileOne like this.
  22. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Oh Chris...honey...I love you but I have no idea what you're talking about. Kinberg did not get "away with it." His movie was the worst reviewed movie of the franchise and it made even less than a movie released 19 years ago.

Now maybe Chris means Kinberg "pretty much got away with it" and that Kinberg left unscathed and is now directing another multi-million dollar movie with big time movie stars like N'yongo, Cruz, Kruger, BingBing and Chastain. How does that benefit the X-men and their fans?

This isn't a good look Mr. Claremont.

#15522 EnDz0n3, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    TheVileOne and Tymminator like this.
  23. SumT

SumT Registered

yeah, because 1 hour and 50 min was the only possible way to do this movie, right Claremont?

sorry, but really stupid argument. Kinberg didnt need 2 movies to do an awesome job, he could have done it perfectly in 2 hours and 30 min. Enough time to do a great job with Jean Grey and the few x-men the movie had (along with new iconic characters the story should have had on first place).

24. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Sorry Erik Lensherr, but the gimmick's gotten stale.

25. Kargo Warrior

Kargo Warrior Scientist

The Dark Phoenix saga is not suitable for a film universe unless it's build up over a dozen films. It's an arc you build in the background, showing hints here and there, until it explodes on the screen.

Yes, you can check the narrative points in less, but it will never have the shocking impact it had in the comics. Marvel Girl was an established character for 13 years before she became the Phoenix and it took 4 more years to turn into the Dark Phoenix. Destroying an entire Solar system was a jaw dropping moment, as it was unthinkable that Jean Grey could do such a thing, regardless of how powerful the Phoenix force seemed. One or two films are nearly not enough to build such a trust in a character.

I know that B&B completely ruined the landing with Dany's villainous turn, but that's what a true Phoenix saga should look like. If done right, it should be inevitable in retrospect, shocking and heart-breaking at the same time.

Obviously it would take a far, far better writer/director than Kinberg to do it right.