Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kind of missing the point. Singer was brought back on why?

Who really knows?

For all we know Bryan was the one who stepped up to pitch the movie to FOX.

Bryan obviously had a contact at fox who let him see X3 early and showed him reels and stuff so the idea that Bryan could have had some idea what was going on isn't completely odd.

There might be an interview where bryan mentions what happened but we actually do not know the answer to that question beyond assumptions and the last time there were assumptions they were proven wrong by FOX greenlighting the next movie a month later from people assuming silence meant rethinking.

Wow.

After years of apologizing and basically them telling us to forget X3 and X-Men Origins you think the studio didn't notice the mistakes and didn't care about the quality?

Or that they didn't have more faith in Bryan Singer?

Plus, Rothman leaves and we get three of the most successful and highly received X-Men related films. But the studio didn't notice that right? They didn't notice Rothman keeping them away from the most profitable and highest grossing X-Men related film?

Last edited:
Hope Peters cut his hair.
I have enough of Quicksilver with long hair, it's 18 years later.

Wow.

After years of apologizing and basically them telling us to forget X3 and X-Men Origins you think the studio didn't notice the mistakes and didn't care about the quality?

Who apologized?

The films have a bad rep but apart from individual decisions to either ignore them or acknowledged them i don't really remember any form of apology

Or that they didn't have more faith in Bryan Singer?

They clearly had faith in Bryan, just like they had faith in vaughn... although they didn't give vaughn special treatment to delay the film while he made secret service even though he made the best-received movie since 2003

We can probably guess bryan offered a pitch that FOX liked either way.

Last edited:
Who apologized?

The films have a bad rep but apart from individual decisions to either ignore them or acknowledged them i don't really remember any form of apology

There are interviews with Donner, Jackman, Reynolds, Gavin Hood, Singer and even Kinberg where they admit to mistakes, studio issues and needing to fix things.

Those films have a bad rep within the studio/producers/Directors as well.

If they loved Rothman's work so much they would not have let him go. He was a problem. A major one. That does not go unnoticed.

Last edited:
Do we know if rothman was actually let go? There are reports he stepped down due to contract reasons.

Do we know if rothman was actually let go? There are reports he stepped down due to contract reasons.

You are really defending this guy?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/se...os-cochairman-tom-rothman-forced-out-20120914

Tom Rothman learned this week in a meeting with News Corp. Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey that he was being forced out of his job as co-chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Rothman's contract was set to expire in March 2014.

News Corp. announced Friday that Rothman would be leaving Jan. 1, 2013 and that Jim Gianopulos, his fellow co-chairman for the last 12 years, would take over the helm of the movie studio. The move comes as Fox is restructuring the studio operation, putting television under News Corp.'s Carey. For the last three years, television production had reported to Rothman and Gianopulos.

Rothman has been described by co-workers and others in the movie community as a mercurial, hard-charging boss with a quick temper who was deeply involved in the details of filmmaking and marketing. Many said his management style rubbed many the wrong way and largely contributed to his job's ultimate demise
But many agents and producers disliked working at Fox, in part because of Rothman's focus on grinding down budgets. Rothman and Gianopulos were on the cutting edge of the now-common practice in Hollywood of paying actors and directors less up front in exchange for a cut of profits -- should any profits materialize.

Insiders pointed to several factors that may have contributed to Rothman's exit. He opposed a significant deal that Fox signed last month to distribute movies for DreamWorks Animation, a position that made it difficult for him to work with the "Shrek" studio's Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg. Gianopulos championed that agreement, which was ultimately approved by News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch.

In addition, during his tenure Fox passed on the comedy "Ted," which became a huge money maker this summer for Universal Pictures. The decision not only cost Fox millions in profits but also upset the film's director, Seth MacFarlane, who as the creator of "Family Guy" is one of the most valuable talents working at the Fox network and television studio.

Add passing on Deadpool to this list.

Last edited:
Quicksilver y'all.

DHCdez6W0AMPUXJ.jpg

2Jacked2Silver

I feel like Evan peters will have hair like he has at the minute in American horror story but dyed silver instead of blue. In fact I think I recall seeing a wig in that instagram video that was talked about a few pages back.

Well, Studio politics.
Exactly. Rothman's misguided leadership and methods led to his ouster. He could not deliver, and was replaced. That's the politics of the studio. The same will be expected of Watts and Snider.

Sinister.

Cassandra Nova could work since they make Xavier a main in every movie

I remember Kinberg talking about how (and I'm not sure if he was refering only to the creative team or the studio) the movies should be bigger than the previous one. Like, it was a concern they have "how to top the previous one".

I thought Sinister was coming after Apocalypse and that post credit scene wasn't only linking to Logan. But after XMA underperformance, Fox decided to jump to the biggest X-Men story, even tho they didn't have the base for it. DP sounds like a desperate move.

If they still think like this, who knows what's coming after Dark Phoenix.

I'm trying to imagine where they might take the X-Men after the Dark Phoenix story. Cinematically speaking, where could the franchise go next?

Since Fox is so obsessed with Magneto, I was rather hoping that they would have planted the seeds of House of M by now. That story has some nice political and philosophical themes they could tackle -- here's a man who has a singular vision for the world who actually gets what he wants.

But without proper characterizations for the twins -- especially Wanda -- and Magneto's relationship with them, it's still a long way off.

I can see Fassbender and Peters nailing these roles though.

As much as I love Fassbender as Eric, I'd love to see them taking a break from Magneto for a few movies (or at least one for god sake), then bringing him back as the main villain with the brotherhood. Is that too much to ask?

Honestly, I just want to see a Cyclops and Jean Grey romance done right where there isn't a third wheel in the mix. I hated how Wolverine always got in the way of that in the OT. Now that they don't have to worry about Logan showing up in this film, they finally have a chance to not only show the romance between right but to display on how It's Jean's connection with Scott that will help anchor her humanity in.

Personally want to steer away from the traditional Cyclops + Jean Grey romance as it's been done enough times in cartoons and the original movies. I agree with you about a Cyclops + Jean Grey + Wolverine love triangle was wasted screen/comic time...and never made sense. How could anyone, especially someone with the personality of Cyclops, stand to have someone on his team constantly trying to steal his wife away from him? At least in Astonishing X-Men Josh Whedon attempted to address this.

I personally think Jean Grey is too powerful to be in the X-Men universe (she is literally omnipotent). Like, in X-Men : Apocalypse, I felt that Apocalypse was portrayed to be very pathetic, and Jean Grey literally walked all over him. Apocalypse was supposed to be the almighty boss villain of the X-Men universe so with him gone, I don't see a need for Jean Grey anymore.

I also hope to see Cyclops become the true field leader of the group.

I personally don't. I prefer if Jean Grey is going to be around, she should be the leader. She can telepathically organize and lead the team from great distances, so is better than a radio, and is more powerful than Apocalypse.

Making Emma Frost younger would make no sense since she was in First Class and that movie is still part of the new timeline.

Nothing makes sense in the movies. :p They could always have a younger descendant of First Class Frost also named Emma Frost come back. Hopefully as Cyclops' wife. I prefer Cyclops + Emma Frost over Cyclops + Jean Grey. After all, Cyclops is already a decently overpowered super hero so having him paired with Jean Grey, who is literally omnipotent, just makes all villains look pathetic.

Some of the factions I'm starting to see based on casting/rumors/character breakdowns....

X-Men/Xavier's School:
Xavier
Scott
Jean
Beast
Storm
Nightcrawler
Sunfire
Lamar Johnson's character (?)
Dazzler (?) (Suki or Halston)

Magneto/Genosha:
Magneto
Mystique (?)
Quicksilver (?)
Psylocke (?)
Toad
Ink

Shiar:
Lilandra
Gladiator (?)
Kota Eberhart's character [Scarlet/Luna]
Other female (Suki or Halston) [Scarlet/Luna]

Flashbacks:
Jean (4-5)
Jean (8-10)
Jean's Dad
Jean's Mom
"Hamilton"
"Dr. Clark"

I hope they do the Dark Phoenix movie more focused on Jean Grey than in the original movie attempt (ie X3: Last Stand). If you remember that one, it was pretty bad. :p

Maybe bring in a young Emma Frost (descended from First Class Frost) to hit on Cyclops and get Jean Grey jealous, triggering an uncontrollable Phoenix reaction. LOL :p

There are pics of Jessica, Sophie, Tye, Jennifer, Halston, two blonde women next to Jessica, two males on top, one is similar to Brad pitt, and a few women with curly hair, no idea who they are. And on his First vídeo we can see some male and female wigs, one of them looking like Jeans double wig
So I'm bumping this because the thought just ocurred to me.

What if both Halston and Suki are in the movie and one is Boom Boom and the other Dazzler?

Personally want to steer away from the traditional Cyclops + Jean Grey romance as it's been done enough times in cartoons and the original movies. I agree with you about a Cyclops + Jean Grey + Wolverine love triangle was wasted screen/comic time...and never made sense. How could anyone, especially someone with the personality of Cyclops, stand to have someone on his team constantly trying to steal his wife away from him? At least in Astonishing X-Men Josh Whedon attempted to address this.

I personally think Jean Grey is too powerful to be in the X-Men universe (she is literally omnipotent). Like, in X-Men : Apocalypse, I felt that Apocalypse was portrayed to be very pathetic, and Jean Grey literally walked all over him. Apocalypse was supposed to be the almighty boss villain of the X-Men universe so with him gone, I don't see a need for Jean Grey anymore.

I personally don't. I prefer if Jean Grey is going to be around, she should be the leader. She can telepathically organize and lead the team from great distances, so is better than a radio, and is more powerful than Apocalypse.

Nothing makes sense in the movies. :p They could always have a younger descendant of First Class Frost also named Emma Frost come back. Hopefully as Cyclops' wife. I prefer Cyclops + Emma Frost over Cyclops + Jean Grey. After all, Cyclops is already a decently overpowered super hero so having him paired with Jean Grey, who is literally omnipotent, just makes all villains look pathetic.

I hope they do the Dark Phoenix movie more focused on Jean Grey than in the original movie attempt (ie X3: Last Stand). If you remember that one, it was pretty bad. :p

Maybe bring in a young Emma Frost (descended from First Class Frost) to hit on Cyclops and get Jean Grey jealous, triggering an uncontrollable Phoenix reaction. LOL :p

Definitely enough with the Jean/Scott already. Extremely played out.

Really, they may as well get right to recasting the new young Wolverine. Gonna have to happen eventually.

Scott/Emma on screen would be ok as long as they didn't kill off Jean to try to make the relationship interesting.

So I'm bumping this because the thought just ocurred to me.

What if both Halston and Suki are in the movie and one is Boom Boom and the other Dazzler?

The plot twist would be one of them is Kitty Pryde :D

For jean and scott relation there definitely has to be some something more to their relationship to keep it interesting as just having them in a relationship and act like they are a married couple just won't do it for the films IMO

Its possible they could be in a relationship as the film opens since there does seem to be a fair amount of change going on from film to film but its also possible they ain't.

No more love triangles though please.

I remember Kinberg talking about how (and I'm not sure if he was refering only to the creative team or the studio) the movies should be bigger than the previous one. Like, it was a concern they have "how to top the previous one".

I think thats often the view on point of sequels in general since Age of ultron wasn't exactly trying to be a smaller movie then the Avengers.

Even Lauren Shuler Donner said that they didn't wanna make movies just for the sake of making movies.

I thought Sinister was coming after Apocalypse and that post credit scene wasn't only linking to Logan. But after XMA underperformance, Fox decided to jump to the biggest X-Men story, even tho they didn't have the base for it. DP sounds like a desperate move.

To be fair there is some basis that sinister could be in Deadpool 2 since they did say they were planning a tease for that movie but didn't have a certain costume they were gonna use.

They been talking about doing DP again since before apocalypse release, infact them doing the jean phoenix thing in apocalypse was almost like opening that door again wide open for it since one of the biggest points people will remember in that movie is gonna be jeans phoenix out.

Last edited:
If they still think like this, who knows what's coming after Dark Phoenix.

Combine Magneto & Xavier for Onslaught

Or

Kill Xavier for Age Of Apocalypse a redeem the Apocalypse character with CGI

I think they'd go Lila C. before Boom Boom

The plot twist would be one of them is Kitty Pryde :D

Shadowcat should be rebooted.

It's ridiculous that Magik is a teen and her bff is 30 in X-Verse

Last edited:
Sinister.

Cassandra Nova could work since they make Xavier a main in every movie

IMO, the next X-Men movie could be another time travel crossover with Sinister
Cable and the X-Men or All New X-Men when the past team in present. If X-Men went far in space, i will be surprised if they comeback easy in Earth.

One thing is sure for me, Kinberg and Co want Cable, Sinister, Jean and Scott in the same movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"