Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the point entirely.

Your point changed nothing.

Do i think you and a few read to much into things just to have an excuse to whinge? kinda, but we can't agree on everything now.

Last edited:
He's connected with Fox or Kinberg so he won't admit the truth even though Singer has just been fired for 'repeated failings' to show up on the set of Bohemian Rhapsody. So much chaos that one of the actors in the film walked out and had to be persuaded to come back.

I very much doubt that. He gets most things wrong.

Of course the FC cast is back. That doesn't mean the new characters won't have a larger presence. Most info we have has to do with Jean. Only thing I'm worried about is Storm not getting mentioned at all. Ironic enough, she's had strong moments of personality in both X3 and Apocalypse, but they were cut.

Honestly, had they done solo films for more characters we wouldn't have any of these problems. Had Storm and co had their own films they could easily cheat us into thinking they get character development in group features, with minutes of screentime.
Instead they're jumping all the way to Multiple Man. :woot:

It's not that ALL of these spinoffs might not turn out to be great. I'm sure most of us who complain about the lack of use of all the strong X-Men characters outside of Wolverine love Deadpool and the idea of X-Force. But I don't get why they're so determined to nail everything but the biggest prize they have the rights to.

Have you not seen the Fantastic 4 films?

Touché. I was talking about X-films. I am completely fine with FF going back to Marvel. Not at the price of a major studio, Fox Searchlight's annual strong contribution to cinema, and the X-films though. ;)

Wow so Leo Zelinsky got laughed out of the board but Ordet gets a pass for his alternative facts like TAS being forgotten about? How about jaymes_e6 calling people idiots? Am I the only one who reported that?

I see where this board is going... only those who are pro-FOX/anti-MCU get in with the crowd?

Not really. But if all you want to do is post about how much you hate X-Men movies now (even if I suspect you've liked more than a few over the years) and how much you can't wait for this movie to go away so you can get an MCU X-Men movie...

...Well, I think everyone would just be healthier to keep that talk in the Misc. Marvel Films board (where I go to discuss the Disney merger) as opposed to here. This is a board about a movie that comes out in less than a year, as opposed to one folks want to fantasize about as being perfect at least three (probably more like five years) early on. Skepticism for this movie is fine. But howling for pages about how you can't wait to forget the current X-franchise... it is at least a bit like you're looking for a fight.

I could see something like that possibily

Use part 1 to introduce space elements and then it won't be so weird to jump into abit further into it for the next one.

Although it might not be a 2 parter per say but more 1 whole film and a direct door open for a follow up.

While I'm somewhat aggrieved that we will almost certainly not get a Shi'ar gladiatorial death match in this film, unless they are being very secretive (and if we do it also won't be on the moon), I do hope they wrap up the Phoenix storyline in this film well. I would probably sing a different tune if not for the Disney deal, but I would hate for the best part of the story (the X-film defending Jean from authorities, preferably cosmic ones) being left for a movie that will never get made.

Last edited:
No. For ensemble/teamwork, see Avengers (especially when they are all stood together in New York) and the airport scene in CA: Civil War.

I am not sure why Fox doesn't do this. Maybe they are not capable? Maybe they think it's too comicbooky (in which case why are they involved in this genre)?

I hope to not see a so easy/poor level of teamwork.
Avengers and CW was like when i was 8 and created story with my action figures. All had to be evident 'cause as 8yo i have to be sure to have a clear and basilar emotion.

I'm 33 now and i'm expecting that a movie doesn't try constantly to spelling emotion.

What I cannot understand is: why are blaming a studio/author for making the same things your favourite writer did.

Do you remember Giant Size 1?

Do you remember how much space Claremont gave to Bobby o Hank in several years?

You cannot compare 6 stories with 20 years of comic books.

Across a large number of films all the main X-Men characters should get a chance. In a one off film you can have the focus on a couple but the others can still have decent roles. Unfortunately the focus has been on the same characters after all this time so that a member of the GA doesn't yet know what made X-Men such a well liked property in the first place. Magneto and Mystique played their part in an appropriate amount in the comics but for some reason this has taken over in the films. There are so many good X-Men characters and villains and before covering them properly we are already retelling stories that have been told not so long ago.

Exactly.

Don't waste characters it's bad. Nothing good comes out of it.

Last edited:
While I'm somewhat aggrieved that we will almost certainly not get a Shi'ar gladiatorial death match in this film, unless they are being very secretive (and if we do it also won't be on the moon), I do hope they wrap up the Phoenix storyline in this film well. I would probably sing a different tune if not for the Disney deal, but I would hate for the best part of the story (the X-film defending Jean from authorities, preferably cosmic ones) being left for a movie that will never get made.

Yeah, with how things are they should really do everything they want to do in this film.

What I cannot understand is: why are blaming a studio/author for making the same things your favourite writer did.

Do you remember Giant Size 1?

Do you remember how much space Claremont gave to Bobby o Hank in several years?

You cannot compare 6 stories with 20 years of comic books.

The comic characters were already fully established so you can have a load of them dead or injured or away from the action for years quite easily. Like you can kill Cyclops on film (preferably on screen though) AFTER you have made him a top character and given him a few epic storylines. The films have much less time so can less afford to focus on just a few characters, only one of who is an actual X-Man.

Who knows what happens, but both producers and Kinberg have highlighted that the FC cast are not the main event. Cyclops was already mentioned as an important player in the EW article. There's still almost a year to go, nothing much to say.

Go back to every interview and articles about X-Men Apocalypse where they talk about the roles of Scott/Jean/Storm. Kinberg (or Singer, don't remember) said several times these three characters would be as important in the movie as Eric/Raven/Charles.

Name one article they've said Storm would have two lines, no personality and no character arc. Name one article where they state that Storm would be part of a massive genocide with absolutely no motivation whatsoever.

Do you really think they'd say "Hey, we're focusing on Charles, Raven and Eric again. Scott and Jean will be secondary characters and Storm will have only two lines". Do you think they'll sell the movies being honest like that? They obviously will use these characters to bait the fans the same way they did to promote Apocalypse, when these three characters were reintroduced.

They're not going to sell the movie saying the X-Men will be standing in the background again.

But yeah, you're absolutely right. They've mentioned Scott in this last article, so he's probably as relevant as he was for the past 18 years. Right?

Last edited:
But howling for pages about how you can't wait to forget the current X-franchise... it is at least a bit like you're looking for a fight.
Not really any different than you showing up in the Misc. Marvel Films board lamenting how the superior Fox X-Men films will be turned to "forgettable", "agreeably bland" Marvel flicks? By the way, even someone who respectfully describes why they hate the flicks deserves not to be called an idiot.

If it weren't for dissent there would be little discussion. Hence why this is one of the most active boards whereas something like the Black Panther board doesn't even compare.

Evidently this is a divisive movie. I was here for the time Apocalypse was being hyped and aside from a few units there was little doom and gloom (well except for the purple Apocalypse picture) because we were coming off of DOFP. The situation is different now. Even fans of the franchise have cooled on the excitement because of being dissappointed.

Last edited:
What is this "waste characters" silliness? Is there a one-time use rule or something?

And already we're using the Disney deal as an excuse for something we'll never see in this because: Part II.

Damn you Disneyyyy :argh:

Do you really think they'd say "Hey, we're focusing on Charles, Raven and Eric again. Scott and Jean will be secondary characters and Storm will have only two lines". Do you think they'll sell the movies being honest like that? They obviously will use these characters to bait the fans the same way they did to promote Apocalypse, when these three characters were reintroduced.

They're not going to sell the movie saying the X-Men will be standing in the background again.

This is akin to Jessica Chastain saying she's excited to play her character.

Do people actually think she'll say she's not excited to play her character?

Remember when they said Oscar Isaac's character will be awesome? :hmr:

LOL I do think it's kinda funny that I remember sometime back I said: I wish this was a two-parter... with the first part M'kraan Crystal, and the second part Dark Phoenix.

And then I was told two-parters always have boring first parts and it would be a bad decision. Now "evil" Disney is taking away our chance at a two-parter? Hehe.

This is akin to Jessica Chastain saying she's excited to play her character.

I laughed when she mentioned the Bechdel test for this movie. Like the test is a guarantee of quality for women's roles.

I laughed when she mentioned the Bechdel test for this movie. Like the test is a guarantee of quality for women's roles.
I think the Bechdel test is still important though, to highlight the lack of imagination for writing female characters when they only talk about men.

Its called common sense laddy ;)

Lol ... I doubt that very much. You get most things wrong. Whenever you deny anything, the original claim is usually correct!

And the fact you were scrabbling about to find pix of Singer on X:A was a clear sign you have an agenda to defend the studio and this franchise. People who worked on that film know how much Singer was missing and how Kinberg stepped in.

It’s also pretty obvious from the finished product, and reinforced by what happened on Bohemian Rhapsody. The Hollywood Reporter said Singer had gone AWOL on X:A.

You’re just stationed here to defend this franchise. It certainly does need a lot of defending, that’s for sure. I’m not so easily mesmerised by a magazine cover with Sophie Turner on fire or a piece of artwork showing a scene in space. It’s gonna take more than that to convince me this film is worth seeing.

I think the Bechdel test is still important though, to highlight the lack of imagination for writing female characters when they only talk about men.

The test consist in three simple questions: Are there at least two women in the movie? Do they talk to each other? About something else besides men?

I understand the importance of the test because there are still movies that doesn't pass it. But the test is not a test for quality, equality or about how women are treated and represented.

X-Men Apocalypse, among other X-Men movies, passes. But look at how the female characters have been treated in this franchise. Were they treated with quality and respect?

X-Men Apocalypse, among other X-Men movies, passes. But look at how the female characters have been treated in this franchise. Were they treated with quality and respect?
X-Men: Apocalypse passes it? I didn't know that. Maybe a rewatch is in order... maybe not.

LOL I do think it's kinda funny that I remember sometime back I said: I wish this was a two-parter... with the first part M'kraan Crystal, and the second part Dark Phoenix.

And then I was told two-parters always have boring first parts and it would be a bad decision. Now "evil" Disney is taking away our chance at a two-parter? Hehe.

There were some hopes this would be a two parter but Fox execs apparently said no.

So however this film ends (for instance, with Phoenix flying off into space), it could open the door to a follow-up if it was decided to do one, or it could be left as is. That’s how many franchise instalments end anyway: enough closure to be satisfying, enough to set up a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"