Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix Skepticism Thread

Why would Fox have to leak the Deadpool footage? Why couldn't they just release it through the normal channels?

I don't think FOX leaked the footage, i think it was those involved with trying to get it made who leaked it.

Even after the leak they had to contacted Simon Kinberg and asked him if he could help talk fox into making the darn movie already.

Which goes back to my point of the studio not wanting to make the movie.

Well now they are making several movies, Gambit, multiple man, new mutants, X23 probably.

Why would Fox have to leak the Deadpool footage? Why couldn't they just release it through the normal channels?
The same reason most of the Deadpool videos end up on Ryan Reynolds YouTube channel rather than Fox's official channel. They know how to market this movie and have executed their strategy quite flawlessly. The movie is perceived as one of those type of products that beats the system. It's sold as being created just for the fans and only being possible because of the fans. And the whole this movie could not have been made without you story sells more tickets than any billboard or TV-spot ever could, so they really found a goldmine there.

Even the stories that the studio cut the budget only actually makes fans like the movie more because that is the type story they are selling. It only makes people care more. At the end of the day, however, this is still a $58 mil studio mandated movie with a marketing budget that probably ended up being even bigger than the actual production budget. Not just Ryan Reynolds making videos in his garage. They've actually barely made any mistakes along the way though. Of course, they played coy on the video leak and contradicted themselves more than enough times, but hey that just adds to the mystery. Similarly, almost nobody noticed that Ryan lied when he talked about being fully nude for example: "eight hours of prosthetic makeup in places that no man needs to be there with a paintbrush." Turns out all of that was CGI. Deadpool's entire campaign is an almost perfect smokescreen. But it resulted in an entertaining movie. And it made the studio, which people barely associate with the movie, a whole lot of money. It's essentially a win-win situation.

Last edited:
The same reason most of the Deadpool videos end up on Ryan Reynolds YouTube channel rather than Fox's official channel. They know how to market this movie and have executed their strategy quite flawlessly. The movie is perceived as one of those type of products that beats the system. It's sold as being created just for the fans and only being possible because of the fans. And the whole this movie could not have been made without you story sells more tickets than any billboard or TV-spot ever could, so they really found a goldmine there.

Even the stories that the studio cut the budget only actually makes fans like the movie more because that is the type story they are selling. It only makes people care more. At the end of the day, however, this is still a $58 mil studio mandated movie with a marketing budget that probably ended up being even bigger than the actual production budget. Not just Ryan Reynolds making videos in his garage. They've actually barely made any mistakes along the way though. Of course, they played coy on the video leak and contradicted themselves more than enough times, but hey that just adds to the mystery. Similarly, almost nobody noticed that Ryan lied when he talked about being fully nude for example: "eight hours of prosthetic makeup in places that no man needs to be there with a paintbrush." Turns out all of that was CGI. Deadpool's entire campaign is an almost perfect smokescreen. But it resulted in an entertaining movie. And it made the studio, which people barely associate with the movie, a whole lot of money. It's essentially a win-win situation.

here is thing too fox will jump to make youtube take down leaked comic con footage of dofp and apocalypse but they didn't with deadpool test footage.it was left up.fox wanted it out there.reynolds may have been one to post it himself with their approval.

as you said they are activing a promation stragedy.you can't force studio to do anything.fox post rothman wanted to see if there was intrest and since test footage showed there was they have launched their stragedy.and guess what it worked for all those involved like gangbusters.

which proved that Fox didnt have a clue about what would sell and what not, until people out there told them so.

Same can aply to any other potential solo movie. Fox "doesnt see it", but the audience would watch any movie if done by talented people who love the material

They needed a test footage to be seen by the public to encourage themselves for Deadpool to start filming. What a marketing test....

The popularity of Deadpool in the comics should have been e-nough. He also got a videogame even after the Origins Wolverine debacle.

Eh, Deadpool was okay. Not nearly as groundbreaking or funny as it thought it was. The only thing keeping me interested is Cable.

Most of my disinterest come from that fact that Marvel went crazy with Deadpool stories around 2010 and I just got sick of the character. The wiseass, self-aware shtick started to turn me off.

More power to Fox if what you guys are saying is true, but that kind of disingenuous marketing strategy rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah I am only excited to seeCable. Domino looks awful IMO, looks nothing like the character at all. I prefer Colossus to be with the X-Men. And it's sad they couldn't give him a role in a non Deadpool film.

I’m up for Deadpool 2 and Cable. My main worries are for the Dark Phoenix story getting mucked up again in short succession. The main X-characters just don’t have enough development yet for this to have the impact it should. At least a film too early.

I'm hopeful the story will be good enough. Hard to say without a trailer.

Gotta love the tinfoil heat theory that leaking the Deadpool trailer was Fox's master plan all along. Yeah. They really wanted to ruin their reputation with the fans and create the perception they only begrudgingly greenlit Deadpool and Logan only got a R rating because of Deadpool's success.

Even Jackman got his salary cut just so Fox would approve the r rating of Logan.

Given they called the film just Logan rather then a more marketable name and had it be a more grounded western they pretty much gave a lesser budget for Mangold getting more freedom.

Gotta love the tinfoil heat theory that leaking the Deadpool trailer was Fox's master plan all along. Yeah. They really wanted to ruin their reputation with the fans and create the perception they only begrudgingly greenlit Deadpool and Logan only got a R rating because of Deadpool's success.

Either way the Logan movie was so much better for it. To have toned it down to get to PG13 would have ruined it. :(

Even Jackman got his salary cut just so Fox would approve the r rating of Logan.

I'm reminded of a John Campea (formerly of Collider) mentioning both Deadpool and Logan as a defence of Fox and why Marvel shouldn't have them and thinking "why would you use the two films Fox least wanted to make as some sort of defence for Fox?". X2 seems like a better example to me as that's when the main franchise peaked in my view.

Either way the Logan movie was so much better for it. To have toned it down to get to PG13 would have ruined it. :(

Can't change the past. Logan happened and Hugh hung up his claws. Hugh said he'd only come back if he were an Avenger and I think that was years ago. So I don't know how he feel post Logan. I'd have him back though. Even if he were to be recast two films on or whatever.

The real debate is Deadpool though. What would Feige do? Keep on Ryan and co. but have them in the MCU? Apparently he did OK their use of a helicarrier (sort of). Would he allow Deadpool to keep its R rating? Some here are adamant he wouldn't, but I lean towards the idea that Feige knows there's a definite market for Deadpool largely as is.

I'm reminded of a John Campea (formerly of Collider) mentioning both Deadpool and Logan as a defence of Fox and why Marvel shouldn't have them and thinking "why would you use the two films Fox least wanted to make as some sort of defence for Fox?". X2 seems like a better example to me as that's when the main franchise peaked in my view.
They defend X-Men at FOX by not even bringing up X-Men films. Sad!

Can't change the past. Logan happened and Hugh hung up his claws. Hugh said he'd only come back if he were an Avenger and I think that was years ago. So I don't know how he feel post Logan. I'd have him back though. Even if he were to be recast two films on or whatever.

The real debate is Deadpool though. What would Feige do? Keep on Ryan and co. but have them in the MCU? Apparently he did OK their use of a helicarrier (sort of). Would he allow Deadpool to keep its R rating? Some here are adamant he wouldn't, but I lean towards the idea that Feige knows there's a definite market for Deadpool largely as is.

If anything... Old Man Logan is still a thing in the Marvel Universe.

The fact is simple:

We can have a Deadpool r-movie at Disney only if it will go out under a different label, so it has to be marketing like very distant and with no link to other superheroes.

No movies can be R with the Disney- label (and the general audience must not know that Disney make R-movies)

We can have a Deadpool r-movie at Disney only if it will go out under a different label, so it has to be marketing like very distant and with no link to other superheroes.
And we won't have X-Men or Fantastic Four movies rotten on RT/hated by a lot if not most people (The Last Stand, FF 1 and 2, FF reboot, Apocalypse) if it were Marvel.

So...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"