BvS Zach Snyder plans to speak with Frank Miller for MoS Sequel

No, Darksied :p

Ha.

I guess I would find Superman kill someone at the end of the trilogy to be more depressing because that would be the final word. As it stands now, we get to see how that inform his character going forward.

I guess i'm a minority...because I don't like Frank Miller's Batman. Jeph Loeb in my opinion really captured the character the best.

imo they all have their high's and low's.
Miller has some great batman stories (according to what used to be the general consensus) and he has his more recent stuff.

Then there's Loeb, the man when working with Tim Sale is a poet, then there is his later batman superman stuff with a kryptonite batman and hordes and hordes of rogues falling out of the sky looking to get punched in the face by the super duo.
Then there is that red hulk stuff lol but that's another company.

Highs and lows.

I feel like pretty much all comic authors have their highs and lows (depending on what situations and character's they write). Loeb I heard has't written some great stuff after his son died, we all know about Miller, Morrison wrote Final Crisis..

I can't think of a bad Mark Waid book, though.

Ha.

I guess I would find Superman kill someone at the end of the trilogy to be more depressing because that would be the final word. As it stands now, we get to see how that inform his character going forward.

As fans we often pine for the unknown, then when presented with it we then often argue about another approach.

The grass is always greener..with fanboys like we.
Jeff Cannata did an Earth One review with Totally Rad, even hinting about how to make a film out of it, then when watching his "heartfelt" MOS video review...
fanboys.

Revisiting that book, I must say, Goyer and company really borrowed. A few changes here and there, such as lowing the destruction and death. Sucks they took away from the DP stuff, that would have been great.

I see a lot of people making the claim that "Obviously Snyder is a Superman fan/fanboy, etc." I'm genuinely curious when I ask this - what makes you all think he's such a fan of the character?

This was the guy who, just a few years ago after the success of 300 when he was making Watchmen, said that he didn't know how to "sell the kind of earnestness" of Superman to a modern audience. Nothing in his previous work would make you think he's even attracted to characters like Superman.

Whereas someone like Mark Waid is clearly a passionate fan of Superman. Whether or not you agree with his opinions or like his work on the character, the man makes no secret that he loves Superman and (more importantly I think) tells you why.

JMS - another huge Superman fan. I honestly believe that Alan Moore at least was a huge Superman fan, even though he seems to have become incredibly bitter with comics as an industry.

He had mentioned that enjoyed some of Morrison's work somewhere. But I don't think Snyder's a RABID fan, just a casual one, at best.

The reason I don't like the Frank Miller rumor is that Snyder can simply read his comic books and take whatever influence he needs. That's what they did last time. They didn't consult with Waid or Morrison. They simply took a few inspirations here and there. By talking with Miller it feels like you're consulting with him and you can't trust Miller for ideas anymore.

Exactly. That's what Nolan did when he made TDK Trilogy, however I doubt Waid ever wants to look Zack Snyder in the eye without so much a full beating, Grant Morrison maybe though.

Grant Morrison understands both these characters better than anyone else, followed by mark waid.

Jeph loeb used to, he lost his mind. Frank miller used to get batman, he lost his mind. Scott Snyder is a wannabe who writes nothing but trash.

I seriously cannot find a flaw in Batman Year One. IMO is the best Batman story ever told and Miller's true masterpiece. Grant Morrison is an extremely smart man with many life experiences that incorporates into his writing and these experiences have helped him understand these imaginary characters better than anyone else. I haven't seen such connection in a writer and his characters, except maybe Jamie Delano's Hellblazer where the writing flew so naturally he wasn't even trying to be good.

Jeph Loeb had a great voice for Batman and i can't blame him for losing his mind, the man lost his son. Everything else is unimportant. Let him be. Although his Nova series isn't half bad imo.

Grant Morrison understands both these characters better than anyone else, followed by mark waid.

Jeph loeb used to, he lost his mind. Frank miller used to get batman, he lost his mind. Scott Snyder is a wannabe who writes nothing but trash.

tumblr_loyzqp7jv61r0zbwoo1_400.gif

I seriously cannot find a flaw in Batman Year One. IMO is the best Batman story ever told and Miller's true masterpiece. Grant Morrison is an extremely smart man with many life experiences that incorporates into his writing and these experiences have helped him understand these imaginary characters better than anyone else. I haven't seen such connection in a writer and his characters, except maybe Jamie Delano's Hellblazer where the writing flew so naturally he wasn't even trying to be good.

Jeph Loeb had a great voice for Batman and i can't blame him for losing his mind, the man lost his son. Everything else is unimportant. Let him be. Although his Nova series isn't half bad imo.

BYO is fantastic however I don't think Miller knew how to end it. Personally I think ending it without him wearing the costume for the finale was very strange. I get it shows that Bruce is Batman even when he's not wearing the suit but I think the ending is kinda weak. Also Catwoman been a prostitute still kinda baffles me, I think it was there simply fir shock value. Still though even with these elements I think it's the single greatest Batman book I've ever read.

On Jeph Loeb, maybe Year One wouldn't be as good if we didn't have the Long Halloween to follow it up as I know when I first read Year One I wanted more.

What's this Jeph Loeb lost his mind thing? I know he lost his son but did he write a bad Batman book or something?

Well, ever since his son died, his quality as a writer just plummeted. I dunno if there is any real connection between the two things, but they did coincide.

BYO is fantastic however I don't think Miller knew how to end it. Personally I think ending it without him wearing the costume for the finale was very strange. I get it shows that Bruce is Batman even when he's not wearing the suit but I think the ending is kinda weak. Also Catwoman been a prostitute still kinda baffles me, I think it was there simply fir shock value. Still though even with these elements I think it's the single greatest Batman book I've ever read.

On Jeph Loeb, maybe Year One wouldn't be as good if we didn't have the Long Halloween to follow it up as I know when I first read Year One I wanted more.
I never had a problem with Catwoman being a prostitute, i always saw her more as protector of the girls sort of like a female Dwight McCarthy. I agree The Long Halloween completes Year One perfectly.

Having Batman not wearing the suit is what i loved the most, other than the Gordon parts. That's what Scott Snyder unethically uses for Year Zero. Batman not wearing the costume while still being Batman.

also the rooftop scene is so iconic.

Lots of opinions here. Just like with this past films reception. Just sucks when our own opinions ruin films for us. A tragedy really.

Anyways, I would argue the original creators get the characters more than any of the later writers, which would lead to the greater debates of "for the times" and "who are the characters really..."

Lot's of opinions, thrown around with such authority they almost sound convincing.
Scott Snyder is the Man.

Catwoman is not a prostitute in Year One, but a dominatrix. There's a difference.

Morrison and Waid understand THEIR versions of BM/SM. However, they have been dozens of different takes on each of the over the decades, so there is not one Batman or Superman, but many.

Morrison and Waid understand THEIR versions of BM/SM. However, they have been dozens of different takes on each of the over the decades, so there is not one Batman or Superman, but many.

Yeah but their versions are the best.

Last edited:

I feel like TDKR is kinda overrated now, and Year One to be less "dated" for lack of a better word. With TDKR I felt like Miller was trying to escalate the plot to its logical extreme. With Year One, I thought he just took the characters and ran with them. If any element is lacking it's the Catwoman storyline, which only shows the power of Batman as an inspiring figure (which TDKR did several times.. and did it better)

I find the minimalistic nature of Year One to have a refreshing nuance. With TDKR, I felt Frank was trying to make the characters bigger then life, in the backdrop of a wild Elseworlds story.

With YO, I felt like he was trying to make them REAL. Flawed, confused, awkward, but with a sense of underlying moral conviction. I personally think that's more powerful, IMHO.

In response to your next post, I think they very well did coincide. Miller can plead insanity for all I care, but Loeb at least has an actual reason.

What I like about Morrison is he understands the entire history of the characters, and that he finds something to like in most incarnations. He also has wild and fantastical ideas.

This post is all truth, no fat.

Now if only the point could be made about films, this place would be all the more pleasant.

I guess i'm a minority...because I don't like Frank Miller's Batman. Jeph Loeb in my opinion really captured the character the best.
Denny O'Neil's Batman is consistently the best of them all. With Morrison's and Dini's Bat trailing closely behind.

Jeph Loeb wrote one truly great and influential Batman story. However, I prefer someone who consistently writes a great Batman over the course of more than a year. That's why O'Neil and Morrison are truly some of the best of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"