Abuse of Power Thread (Cops, Governments, Etc.) - Part 2

So let's continue with the horrible structure we have now because racists are going to racist. Cutting the police budgets should mean streamlining and improving the structure of the departments, while also being more selective in the hiring process. PD's are bloated, with poor training and inefficient use of funds. More over, you want to reduce crime making less cops essential? You invest in other areas in the community, which drives down crime. The police don't do that. Helping the poor and low class does that. Funding medical services does that. Fixing the schools does that. Hell building and maintaining local gathering places like youth centers and parks.
I actually agree with all of this, but with a collapsed economy, bankrupt businesses, and high unemployment that will all take time to recover from, who's going to pay for all this? It'll take a lot more then just allocating money from one area to another to make any meaningful change long term. Businesses will need to contribute as well. Maybe some of the trillion dollar corporations can start manufacturing in the US, for a start.

101564736_10223334325134360_5990217074146803712_n.jpg

Sounds good to me. :)

This is relevant to a few threads so I'm going to post it a few places.

The Invisible Killing of Tony McDade

Full article in the link above. This just covers the basics.

On May 27, Tony McDade, a trans man and Tallahassee resident, was killed by a police officer. No video exists of his death, so both local and national outlets have deferred to the police department’s description: McDade was a suspect in a fatal stabbing; as officers attempted to arrest him he allegedly moved as if to draw a weapon and was shot. Though a Florida law allows the person who killed him to remain anonymous, bystanders identified the officer as white.

Days after McDade’s death, Equality Florida issued a report calling the state an “epicenter” of brutal transphobia, a situation they found was exacerbated by the police and local media. “Issues of misgendering by law enforcement and the media often cloud initial reports of trans related violence, disrespecting the victims.” After his death, residents of his apartment posted Facebook Live videos, contrasting police reports that McDade had posed a threat; one resident in the apartment complex, Clifford Williams, said that police had opened fire on McDade with no hesitation, contradicting the narrative that officers feared for their safety. But even in such accounts, residents still misgendered McDade.

So I guess a show like Live PD is a real, unvarnished look at the police, unless they mess up so bad they want to hide it. This is all about an incident from March 2019 where where the police murdered another unarmed black man for "resisting arrest". They tased the man 4 times, while he told them he couldn't breathe. If you go to the news' station channel on YT, you will find more footage, including the actual murder. Footage that did not become available until after George Floyd's death.

Met Police taser UK rapper Wretch 32's 62 year old father.

Bust in his house looking for his son and taser him when he clearly isn't a threat

"I can't breathe" should be a siren call to reform the police.

I keep telling people that we should be prepared for the possibility that the passions people feel now will not be sustainable for the long haul. We don't want to think that but we really shouldn't dismiss that idea out of hand.

That said... Man that above story makes me feel like the cops in America are on the opposite pole. They are COUNTING on us letting this all go, or they are at least expecting us to let this all fade into the memory hole.

Thing is, while it's certainaly possible the public might move on and the issue of police reform feel less urgent to the citizenry at large, the thing is the cops in each part of the country are responding too often as though their abuse and overreach can be handled as a local problem for them like most every other time we have some geographically distinct protest around some localized event. But this is national news. This is a national moment. I think the cops should consider that they can't intimidate the whole of the nation.

Krypton, you're absolutely right that the current mood can't go on forever. Revolution—and I can't say that American is currently in the midst of a revolution, but it's the best analogy I can offer—is a tremendous devourer of human energy. Sooner or later, people's energy will run out.

I think you're right that the cops are counting on that. But the injustice that is daily life in America, especially for Black people in neighbourhoods where the police act as an occupying force, can't last forever. The question is which side will win out in the end.

The abuse of minorities/people of color in the American policing system, in my view, was a canary in the coal mine situation. Whether it is successful in framing it in way that people can get behind it or not is moot. It's just the history of the world. When societies are deciding they want to get opprossive they start with the most vunerable. Those talked about as "undesirables", the "other" in the midst of the majority. But it never ends there. Ever. They always move up the line of demographics. People in the majority, wait your turn... You will be served by the vendors for state back violence soon enough.

They have been "practicing" on minorities and the disenfranchised for decades now. And that's why they are so organized in how they are enacting a shadow policy of intimidation coast to coast. The brazeness is just part and parcel with not being held accountable for so long.

But I think, and this isn't to downplay the obvious systemic racism that's brought us here, but my current theory is that on the police side, the racial bias and abuse of non-whites is the tip of the iceberg. A serious look at systemic racism in policing is likely to turn over a lot of rocks that lead to things beyond just revealing to the public how badly, up to and including murder and the hands of cops, things have gotten. And those threads once followed will shine the light on even more unsavory and illegal acts up and down the line, from top brass to the regular old patrolman.

For some of LEOs this isn't about pride, or even racism... It's about keeping ALL the sins underwraps. Is racism and bias part of it? Sure, but there's a **** ton of side deals, corrupt practices, payoffs and laundry list of other things dirty cops and brass are into. Want to know where the real animosity comes from on the police side to these protests? It's as much about their fear of exposure for a host of things as much as it is about holding them to account for their treatment of minorities. They are going too far for this to just be about their bigotry. The going after the press in such a targeted way, the spillover of intimidation into white suburbs, the ruthless way they are handling even white elderly protesters... This isn't just about how they treat black and brown suspects on their part.

FBI investigating tattooed deputy gangs in Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

mshshbc.png

jZ2u8LR.png

Like I said... I don't want to undermine the urgency of reform in regards to how unaccountable police are affecting minority citizens. But the issues at play do also go well beyond just the standard story of White racism against blacks and brown people. Because the abuses we see cannot continue year in and out without approval of on some level or participation by officers of color.

Why is that in a law?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"