Agent Carter Agent Carter - S01E06 "A Sin to Err"

Yeah....I hates it when dey tries to get guhrls to watch our shows...:cmad:

They don't advertise shows meant for guys by making commercials like that though. "Tune in to _____ to watch this macho man kick a bunch of ass in this testosterone filled epic, and then tune in at 8 o clock watch this team of sexy hunks assert their manliness and kick lots of ass"

I think there would be a way better, tactful way to get the point across that its target audience is the female demographic, than just blurting out every commercial that Hayley Atwell is a woman. Its laziness.

They don't advertise shows meant for guys by making commercials like that though. "Tune in to _____ to watch this macho man kick a bunch of ass in this testosterone filled epic, and then tune in at 8 o clock watch this team of sexy hunks assert their manliness and kick lots of ass"

I think there would be a way better, tactful way to get the point across that its target audience is the female demographic, than just blurting out every commercial that Hayley Atwell is a woman. Its laziness.

Exactly. This concept that women watch because of sexy girls showing girl power is insulting. You don't have to promote down to them.

And despite what some seem to think, noticing the double standard in marketing does not mean that we dont want females watching the show...it just means that we respect the intelligence of the female audience.

You just complain about everything don't you, not matter how trivial.

You just complain about everything don't you, not matter how trivial.

Not at all...you guys just don't notice my posts unless its something critical...then feel the need to make me explain myself because you cant accept that someone has a different opinion than you do.

I have enjoyed the past few weeks of episodes far more than the first few weeks.

Because reality doesn't happen, then cease to have ever happened. When creating a movie, you are asking me to suspend my disbelief and invest in the world you're giving me. Later telling me that some of the stuff I saw didn't happen destroys that. For all we know, Coulson IS dead and the tv show doesn't count...and I don't like the fact that Marvel is capable of doing that kind of thing. If you release it, it should count.

I'm just telling you what's been the standard in television, films, and comics for the last 50 years or so. I assume you are this pugnacious about every example of retconning, correct? If so, I feel for you. Because if you can't suspend your disbelief over something so insignificant, then I don't know of a sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero universe that doesn't commit far worse sins on a regular basis. It's not the largest logical leap you're being asked to take here. I'm not entirely sure why this hill is the one you choose to die upon.

AND PS:

I dont consider sexism in advertising to be trivial. That isn't a problem with the show, its a problem with the network, but the ad occurred during the show.

The one shot complaint is trivial though. Lets just say, unless told otherwise, its no longer considered canon, problem solved.

AND PS:

I dont consider sexism in advertising to be trivial. That isn't a problem with the show, its a problem with the network, but the ad occurred during the show.

Its your problm, cause that add is not sexist.

I'm just telling you what's been the standard in television, films, and comics for the last 50 years or so. I assume you are this pugnacious about every example of retconning, correct? If so, I feel for you. Because if you can't suspend your disbelief over something so insignificant, then I don't know of a sci-fi, fantasy, or superhero universe that doesn't commit far worse sins on a regular basis. It's not the largest logical leap you're being asked to take here. I'm not entirely sure why this hill is the one you choose to die upon.

Is someone going to kill me? Why do I have to DIE on this hill???

Believe it or not...I can be a fan of something...and enjoy a genre...while still critiquing it and pointing out when it goes wrong. I dont feel the need to pretend that everything is perfect, it is absolutely flawless, until some time passes and it sinks in at large that...yeah...things aren't perfect. The ONLY reason my complaints are considered a big deal is because people are offended that I dare criticize something. But I assure you...I AM capable of enjoying something AND seeing flaws in its execution.

Like many diehard fans who invest heavily in their favorite things, I want it to be perfect. But I'm going to lie to myself and pretend that it is when it isn't. This concept that we should all just ignore the flaws in this genre that we are so devoted too...until enough time passes where its acceptable to admit that mistakes were made...is just silly.

I'm going with the one-shot being canon. My logic being after all of this, the only reason she got to keep her job was agreeing to spend time in a lower down outer office of the SSR. In the 3 months there, she hadn't been given an assignment.

Its your problm, cause that add is not sexist.

Go watch a trailer for any show thats not on network television and tell me if the gender of the lead character is brought up at least once during it. Never mind in every single advertisement for the show, and now its even in the ads for Agents of SHIELD.

Peggy is good enough of a character to stand on her own merits IMO and I find for a show that deals heavily with the concept of sexism, the ads are quite hypocritical.

I think I might go cut my own commercial for the show with clips and previously released footage. I think its a really good show but the ads not do it justice.

Go watch a trailer for any show thats not on network television and tell me if the gender of the lead character is brought up at least once during it. Never mind in every single advertisement for the show, and now its even in the ads for Agents of SHIELD.

Peggy is good enough of a character to stand on her own merits IMO and I find for a show that deals heavily with the concept of sexism, the ads are quite hypocritical.

I think I might go cut my own commercial for the show with clips and previously released footage. I think its a really good show but the ads not do it justice.

Remember, when cutting your ad...make sure to let everyone know that she's sexy AND tough! She can punch like a man but SHE'S A WOMAN!!! WOWZA!!

I actually think it would be hilarious to cut ads for shows targeted to men with ads like that.

"Hey guys...like wrestling? Of course you do...those hot, sweaty, sexy men...FIGHTING! That's right...Randy Orton is tough AND sexy! So, all you straight men, don't forget to tune in to watch Randy in his short shorts rolling around with other guys! Because they are FIGHTING LIKE MEN!"

Great episode. Loved watching Carter kick all those agents a**es.

Yeah....I hates it when dey tries to get guhrls to watch our shows...:cmad:

:funny:

Last edited:
Remember, when cutting your ad...make sure to let everyone know that she's sexy AND tough! She can punch like a man but SHE'S A WOMAN!!! WOWZA!!

I actually think it would be hilarious to cut ads for shows targeted to men with ads like that.

"Hey guys...like wrestling? Of course you do...those hot, sweaty, sexy men...FIGHTING! That's right...Randy Orton is tough AND sexy! So, all you straight men, don't forget to tune in to watch Randy in his short shorts rolling around with other guys! Because they are FIGHTING LIKE MEN!"

I bet you the reason the ads are the way they are is because there were no shots of Sousa or Thompson shirtless, which for Marvel is shocking. They're like "Crap! We can't just rely on eyecandy for marketing, we have to use our brains!" and that was the best they could come up with.

Reminded of this:
tumblr_mm8dspurae1rz1rzuo1_500.jpg

I bet you the reason the ads are the way they are is because there were no shots of Sousa or Thompson shirtless, which for Marvel is shocking. They're like "Crap! We can't just rely on eyecandy for marketing, we have to use our brains!" and that was the best they could come up with.

:funny:
So true. It's not limited to Marvel though. The CW is as bad,if not worse with the "Topless Male" lure.

It was part of the continuity...until it wasn't. Again, I don't see why that's such a hard concept to grasp. If the pilot had never become a series, then that would have been canon. Once it became a series however, the pilot was no longer canon.

The One-Shot was the framework from which this series was built. As like most frames, once you build on top of it, that framework gets buried in favor of something more substantive.

Yeah,this is hardly a big deal. At the worst,the One Shot was the impetus to get the show made and once the show was "tangible", the One Shot was overwritten by a more detailed version of the concept.

At best,they can still find a way for it to work. A good Idea would be to pull a "Menagerie" like Star Trek and use the existing footage in a future episode's framework to make it fit somewhat seamlessly into continuity.

Well, things are finally getting somewhere with this story. I guess the Russian guy is behind everything? Cool twist,if he is the mastermind.

I would hope Leviathan is smarter than having the person in charge go personally on the mission. It doesn't seem very Communist, which is all about leadership structure.

Dottie is so cool. I hope they don't kill her. If she's the first BW,does that mean she became a hero in the comics?

I feel having Dottie change sides would detract from Natasha doing the same. IMO, Romanoff should be the only Black Widow to become a hero.

or at least the DATE on it lol

Yeah, either the date or the timeframe. The mission itself can exist, but I would pretend either the year or the three months later doesn't. It's a minor retcon to make things more harmonious.

I would hope Leviathan is smarter than having the person in charge go personally on the mission. It doesn't seem very Communist, which is all about leadership structure.

At least the recruiter at the beginning seemed to have higher rank than the doctor, so there's that.

Just watched the episode. It was superb. It's sad that there are only two episodes left.

I'm going with the one-shot being canon. My logic being after all of this, the only reason she got to keep her job was agreeing to spend time in a lower down outer office of the SSR. In the 3 months there, she hadn't been given an assignment.
I think this is a reasonable idea :up:

Is someone going to kill me? Why do I have to DIE on this hill???

Believe it or not...I can be a fan of something...and enjoy a genre...while still critiquing it and pointing out when it goes wrong. I dont feel the need to pretend that everything is perfect, it is absolutely flawless, until some time passes and it sinks in at large that...yeah...things aren't perfect. The ONLY reason my complaints are considered a big deal is because people are offended that I dare criticize something. But I assure you...I AM capable of enjoying something AND seeing flaws in its execution.

Like many diehard fans who invest heavily in their favorite things, I want it to be perfect. But I'm going to lie to myself and pretend that it is when it isn't. This concept that we should all just ignore the flaws in this genre that we are so devoted too...until enough time passes where its acceptable to admit that mistakes were made...is just silly.

It's just a figure of speech. It's a reference to Col. George Armstrong Custer, an infamous fame-seeker who chose to sacrifice himself and his men to fight an unwinnable battle on a hill at Little Bighorn that served little point and purpose. To "die on that hill" simply means you're stubbornly hanging onto a point, far past the point of relevance.

And listen, I totally understand your feelings regarding retroactive continuity. It's often implemented carelessly and can ruin some great universes for the sake of telling new stories. However, retconning is often a necessary evil when talking about persistent fictional universes. Just like completely disregarding continuity can be troublesome, stubbornly sticking to that continuity, and thus gimping your ability to tell the stories you want to tell, is even worse.

And whether you agree with it or not, the story of Peggy Carter and her ascension from lowly SSR agent to founder of SHIELD is a story certain forces at Marvel really want to tell. The One-Shot inspired them to do so, but they wanted to take that story and make it more detailed. Ideally, they could so without contradicting what happened. But the One-shot makes that difficult because it was never originally designed to have any holes that needed to be filled. So, they chose to simply overwrite it.

You're welcome to your opinion. I might have even agreed with you if you simply treated it as the tiny detail it is rather than some universe-breaking error. But retconning is a such a common practice that I just wonder why this one sticks out to you so much?

Just watched the episode. It was superb. It's sad that there are only two episodes left.

I enjoyed this episode as usual but it felt like a pivot/set up for the last two shows. Everything is in place for two great episodes!

The only thing I didn't like was the Hypno-Russian. That ring twirling hypno-stuff crossed the cheesy line in my book.

It's just a figure of speech. It's a reference to Col. George Armstrong Custer, an infamous fame-seeker who chose to sacrifice himself and his men to fight an unwinnable battle on a hill at Little Bighorn that served little point and purpose. To "die on that hill" simply means you're stubbornly hanging onto a point, far past the point of relevance.

And listen, I totally understand your feelings regarding retroactive continuity. It's often implemented carelessly and can ruin some great universes for the sake of telling new stories. However, retconning is often a necessary evil when talking about persistent fictional universes. Just like completely disregarding continuity can be troublesome, stubbornly sticking to that continuity, and thus gimping your ability to tell the stories you want to tell, is even worse.

And whether you agree with it or not, the story of Peggy Carter and her ascension from lowly SSR agent to founder of SHIELD is a story certain forces at Marvel really want to tell. The One-Shot inspired them to do so, but they wanted to take that story and make it more detailed. Ideally, they could so without contradicting what happened. But the One-shot makes that difficult because it was never originally designed to have any holes that needed to be filled. So, they chose to simply overwrite it.

You're welcome to your opinion. I might have even agreed with you if you simply treated it as the tiny detail it is rather than some universe-breaking error. But retconning is a such a common practice that I just wonder why this one sticks out to you so much?

Would you please be kind enough to show us some official statement from Marvel which says the One-Shot is not canon anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"