Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S2E5 "A Hen in the Wolf House"

Don't be so hard on Coulson. Given that he has zero reason to trust anything that Raina says, he probably figured she was setting up a trap to kidnap (or kill) Skye, whom he isn't willing to sacrifice. It's also pretty clear that he had already set in motion a series of events to extract Simmons from HYDRA, so he wasn't really sacrificing her at all. Since Simmons was getting invited to HYDRA board meetings, he probably knew that her cover was suddenly in more danger, and had tasked Bobbi to enact an extraction plan. Raina's revealing the photograph wasn't really changing anything in that plan. It was an inconvenience to Bobbi, at worst.

Coulson likely made a choice between:
- Possibly sacrificing Skye, while still needing to extract Jemma, and
- Not needing to sacrifice Skye, while still extracting Jemma.

As May and Bobbi both mentioned, "Coulson has a plan."

(to which Skye should have responded, "What percentage of a plan does does he have?" :D )

God Coulson was such a stupid dick this epsiode.
Seriously if he just said yes to Raina everyone except hydra would have benefited. Doctor and skye reunited, Jemma and bobbi still undercover, couslon in good graces with the guy who has the obelisk. The viewers would have finally got to see what skye is.
Now look at it. His moles have been exposed, Skye's stiry will be dragged out longer than it had to, and now hydra has the obelisk, and couslon ended up terrorizing someone who was just trying to survive. Hyrda was literally the only faction that benefited from Coulsons choice.
What the **** Phil
Maybe he is losing it.
Yeah...they don't want to be in the good graces of Dr. Kyle Maclachlan.

Don't be so hard on Coulson. Given that he has zero reason to trust anything that Raina says, he probably figured she was setting up a trap to kidnap (or kill) Skye, whom he isn't willing to sacrifice. It's also pretty clear that he had already set in motion a series of events to extract Simmons from HYDRA, so he wasn't really sacrificing her at all. Since Simmons was getting invited to HYDRA board meetings, he probably knew that her cover was suddenly in more danger, and had tasked Bobbi to enact an extraction plan. Raina's revealing the photograph wasn't really changing anything in that plan. It was an inconvenience to Bobbi, at worst.

Coulson likely made a choice between:
- Possibly sacrificing Skye, while still needing to extract Jemma, and
- Not needing to sacrifice Skye, while still extracting Jemma.

As May and Bobbi both mentioned, "Coulson has a plan."

(to which Skye should have responded, "What percentage of a plan does does he have?" :D )

Yeah maybe. It's just so frustrating that hydra won this episode by doing nothing. It's seems like the writers set up the reveal to soon and had to extend the whole mystery somehow, with skye all of a sudden not caring for answers because she saw a couple of body's with out any context as to how they died. For all she knows doc was attacked and kidnapped but hes all of a sudden a monster to her.

That whole "Coulson has a plan" could have been referring to a plan b in case Simmons was exposed you never know

I'm not sure if the "Coulson has a plan" was referring to a plan b if Simmons was exposed. Coulson had a 2 minute warning and it seemed like Tripp was already at the hydra facility when Raina's mass e-mail went out.

Another cracking episode. They're doing such good work now. Love Bobbi, she's so powerful and badass. And that there's existing chemistry within the team with her. It's a great way to build a story without bludgeoning us with it

Coulson is not watching the show on tv. He makes the best calls he can make with limited info.

Also, the point of a threat is that it's an actual threat. You have to have the bad guy win, win, win, win, and push the hero into such a corner that we cant imagine how the hero will possibly win...and then they pull out a last minute victory and defeat the bad guy. There is no drama built when the hero wins every round of a war (for reference, see the career of John Cena). Hydra has been mostly getting their butts kicked...heck...we started the episode with Whitehall complaining "You've failed...AGAIN." We need them to succeed if we are to take them seriously as a threat.

Yeah, HYDRA was really on the ropes. What with their office buildings operating in plain sight and them "having people everywhere." If they're supposed to be losing, then the show's not doing a very good job of showing it. And you can "back the heroes into a corner" without having them make stupid or illogical decisions. In fact, that's how you SHOULD do it.

It was only a stupid decision because you knew the entire story. Again, Coulson was not watching the show as a viewer. He did not know what you knew. Raina didn't even bother to explain WHY she needed Skye or WHY she was desperate.

The fact that you think Hydra was winning in an episode that started with "Hydra failed AGAIN" is just absurd. You're inventing an issue that doesn't exist.

Adrianne Palicki is really tall. She like towers over everybody on the show except Mac. :funny:

She was really tall as Wonder Woman and towered over people like an Amazon even when standing in her bare feet.

Also I'm glad she isn't Hawkeye's ex, because I want to see that relationship develop in the future, not as something that is in the past. Mockingbird wasn't always Hawkeye's ex, because she was his current wife during West Coast Avengers.

I think we can all agree that they need to stop showing us bakshi about to get wrecked and then cutting away. Seriously it happend with May in episode 4 and Bobbi in this one, why won't you let us see him get his teeth kicked in, does his contract forbid it?

tumblr_ndtvu0u5Lf1qbopwjo2_500.gif

tumblr_ndtvu0u5Lf1qbopwjo1_500.gif

tumblr_ndtvu0u5Lf1qbopwjo3_500.gif

tumblr_ndtvu0u5Lf1qbopwjo4_500.gif

1NcIuUE.gif

Too true!:hubba:hubba
Does Whedon and the writers purposely do these things to make us fans ship characters? I mean with the dynamic they've shown us they're pretty much asking for it.

Last edited:
Solid episode.

Simmons is back with the team, Bobbi turns out to be the Ex, and really liked the way Coulson turned the tables on Raina.

I found it interesting when Skye noticed the carving on the desk. It seems Coulson didn't realize he actually did that until she pointed it out to him.

Yeah maybe. It's just so frustrating that hydra won this episode by doing nothing. It's seems like the writers set up the reveal to soon and had to extend the whole mystery somehow, with skye all of a sudden not caring for answers because she saw a couple of body's with out any context as to how they died. For all she knows doc was attacked and kidnapped but hes all of a sudden a monster to her.

I'm not sure I would characterize it that way. Thanks to Bobbi's intervention, HYDRA *lost* in terms of not being able to torture/brainwash Jemma, and they were unable to prevent a serious data leak in the process. For that matter, from their perspective, they also lost a valuable scientist who (as far as they knew) was going to help them weaponize the Obelisk.

HYDRA *won*, in terms of getting the Obelisk, because Skye's Dad decided to give it to them after having talked with Raina, who begged him to do so, because of Whitehall's threats. So HYDRA's win this week was a payoff from Whitehall's action the previous week.

I'm not sure I would characterize it that way. Thanks to Bobbi's intervention, HYDRA *lost* in terms of not being able to torture/brainwash Jemma, and they were unable to prevent a serious data leak in the process. For that matter, from their perspective, they also lost a valuable scientist who (as far as they knew) was going to help them weaponize the Obelisk.

HYDRA *won*, in terms of getting the Obelisk, because Skye's Dad decided to give it to them after having talked with Raina, who begged him to do so, because of Whitehall's threats. So HYDRA's win this week was a payoff from Whitehall's action the previous week.
We don't know that they haven't brainwashed Jemma yet. Could easily be a sleeper. They didn't know she was going to be extracted so fast and we don't know what occurred when they requested she be brought up to the next level in Ep3 (I think).

We don't know that they haven't brainwashed Jemma yet. Could easily be a sleeper. They didn't know she was going to be extracted so fast and we don't know what occurred when they requested she be brought up to the next level in Ep3 (I think).

might explain how Daniel whitehall knew her, yep good call, possible and probable, spy show and all that.

The episode was was both exciting and intriguing, and I'm loving the expanding cast of characters. So far they're being used very well. I've especially been enjoying Mack's friendly disposition and his budding friendship with Fitz. And obviously, the addition of Bobbi to the team is gonna be awesome.

I'm also enjoying the use of new villains and new plot points centered around the Obelisk, which makes a pretty cool macguffin. It'll be interesting to see how long Whitehall and Skye's father end up working together before their relationship inevitably takes a nosedive.

I do like that there is one 0-8-4 rather than an object of the week. Although the real focus is just the battle of wills with Hydra (so you'd have Donny Gill for a week instead or something like that), but it allows things to keep focused rather than sprawling everywhere (which makes sense for the new small SHIELD).

Well after last week's dud of an episode this was a nice change up. I give episode 5 a solid 7/10.

It's also rather striking how much taller Palicki is than Henstridge. Simmons looks like a munchkin next to Morse.

And I can't be the only one who got the invisible jet reference with regard to the one time Wonder Woman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"