Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 17 "Turn, Turn, Turn" Discussion Thread

If team Whedons history of writing holds true... He's not JUST a triple agent or JUST a hydra stooge.

People seem to think a triple agent concept would be cheap... Making him nothing more than a hydra drone would be cheap too.

Phenomenal Ep! Obviously this was before i knew Ward was HYDRA, but the scene when Ward saw Garrett in the line of prisoners, and he was so confused and coulson had to tell him the truth. So sad..... Coulson was so sad, he knew he was desrtoying Ward's world and it was just awful
This episode was really good at showing everyone's reaction to SHIELD being corrupt, Skye being morose, Tripp furious, Fitzsimmons just being confused. This episode really made me feel for Hand. She (and Coulson too,) looked utterly broken, the organization that she had dedicated her life to, and that she believed and trusted in, turned out to be corrupt at the deepest levels. When Coulson asked how deep Hydra went, you could just tell that she was trying so hard not to break down. Some of you were complaining how brutal her actions were, but they weren't really. She had no idea who to trust, so she just gave people the test, if they failed it they were imprisoned. She knew that it wasn't going to be 100% correct so she didn't kill everyone, she knew not everyone was guilty but she didn't know which people that failed the test were really HYDRA so she just had to imprison everyone.
EDIT: I really hope Hand isn't dead, not in a world with GH325 (not to mention bulletproof vests).

Last edited:
This show has gotten so much better as the season has gone on.

I am curious if Ward is a triple agent. Coulson knows his ties to Garrett. It would be perfect. Even if the 'slaying' of the agents and Hand is legit, it could be a way for him to truly be in Garrett's total confidence as HYDRA.

Turn, Turn, Turn was the best episode of the series since the pilot, I think. Keep on Keepin' on!!

That last shot of Ward showed there was something weird going on with him. His motivations are definitely not clear cut.

Definitely. Watch his eyes in those last few seconds.

I think Skye awakened his conscience.

That last shot of Ward showed there was something weird going on with him. His motivations are definitely not clear cut.

He seems to be a reluctant member of HYDRA…

:Yoda voice:

Much conflict I sense in him.

xeUNiiv.png

"Hrmm... did I feed Mr. Fluffikins before I left the apartment last week?"

He seems to be a reluctant member of HYDRA…

:Yoda voice:

Much conflict I sense in him.

Yeah. If I had to bet, I'd go with the option that he was a double agent the whole time (not a triple agent), but that the other members of the team started getting to him, particularly Skye.

Hi everyone. Just registered to post this observation. Didn't notice anyone else mention this...

"Turn, Turn, Turn" = Triple Agent? Is this a reach?

Hi everyone. Just registered to post this observation. Didn't notice anyone else mention this...

I don't think it's a huge reach necessarily, but I think it's more likely the title refers to the audience's expectations of the characters. So, the first turn is Hand (who we were positioned to think of as part of Hydra), the second being Garrett and the third being Ward.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
Agreed. I also think that it could refer to

1. HYDRA turning out to be the big threat.

2. Garrett turning out to be HYDRA.

3. Ward turning out to be a traitor.

I don't think they put a set number of turns to indicate triple agent status or not. "Turn, Turn, Turn" is the name of a 1950s song which was covered by The Byrds in the 60s. It's based on the Book of Ecclesiastes and is also known as "To Everything there is a season".

[YT]W4ga_M5Zdn4[/YT]

It's not like AOS was going to go with 4 turns or 2 turns in the title. It's just using the song title, that's all.

I don't think they put a set number of turns to indicate triple agent status or not. "Turn, Turn, Turn" is the name of a 1950s song which was covered by The Byrds in the 60s. It's based on the Book of Ecclesiastes and is also known as "To Everything there is a season".

[YT]W4ga_M5Zdn4[/YT]

It's not like AOS was going to go with 4 turns or 2 turns in the title. It's just using the song title, that's all.

Ah yes the Byrds, featuring a younger, thinner David Crosby.

GOOD Point!!
It IS possible I guess. GREAT first post!

Something like
"Ward is you SO, I was his. Turn, turn, turn."

But was Garett saying it to suggest betrayal or that there's a time for everything, hence quoting the song?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"