Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 18 "Providence" Discussion Thread

If she was smart, she would have left Heroes before season four. Season three was dreck with the whole "Robert Forester as Nathan and Peter's Father" storyline.

Eh, Season 4 was actually the best since S1. S3 however...good lord that was some of the absolute worst storytelling I've ever seen on a tv show.

Samuel L Jackson has been confirmed for the season finale, and he's certainly worthy of gushing. Though SLJ made a prior post-credit appearance on the show, he only interacted with Clark Gregg.

Once again the guest star Chloe was talking about was in an episode that was filmed in late February. Which would more than likely make it one of the episode's airing over these few weeks. Samuel Jackson said he filmed within the last 2 weeks.

Could be Amy Acker.

Possible Chloe could have watched Angel and was a big fan of Fred.

Before the Hydra reveal, there was a theory on TVTropes that Rayna was part of Zodiac. Flowers = Virgo. Edison Po is an anagram of Poseidon, so he was Pisces. To continue the idea, the man Edison Po blinded was Gustav Brandt, aka Libra (the father of Mantis who became more of a neutral knowledge seeker in AVENGERS FOREVER).

Rayna could decide to start her own Nebulously Evil Organization. Or become part of one started by Jake Fury, Nick's evil younger brother.

This question may of been already answered but was the guy that Garrett was talking to when he said don't forget to follow ur dreams or Nightmares was that
Blackout?

Also Does anybody know if they extended Paxton's Guest Apperences on the show I know he was only scheduled for 4 episodes but its not like he died last night so IDK if they will write him off or they extended his episodes.

Press release doesn't have him episode 20, so we'll just have to see how his character is left after next episode. Although I have hard time thinking he won't be in the season finale.

Last edited:
He's in next week, which is more than his scheduled 4, but not in the week after that. No word on the final 2 episodes.

I'm the only one here that find Fitz seriously developed and deeper in this 2 episodes? Now he seems on his way to be a "whedonian hero"

Raina seemed really disappointed that The Clairvoyant was anything but. I sense treachery ahead.

Loved the reference to the Griffin. This means nothing is off limits; bring on the Mandrill, Tigra, Devil Dinosaur, and other animal/human hybrids

To be fair, emphasis on reference. I think they'd be happy to refer to the strangest ones, but probably not as quick to portray them on the show.

Ward reminds me of Alex Krycek from X-Files. I really hope they don't 'triple agent' agent Ward. Keeping him an evil bastard is much more entertaining. I hope they continue to show his level of depravity.

For what it's worth, I think what they're going for with Ward is "bad guy with an understandable motivation." Note, that doesn't mean forgiveable motivation or motivation that offers redemption. Just that he isn't simply a sociopath and, had things been different, he could have gone down a different path.

Essentially, his life as a child was a living hell, Garrett rescued him from that, he feels he owes Garrett for that and would do anything he asks in return. In that sense, I think he cares for Coulson's team, but he'd still choose Garrett over them. Garrett, on the other hand, is an opportunistic sociopath who had no problem killing for SHIELD but thinks killing for HYDRA is better for him in the long run. That's the difference between them (and, of course, neither are true believers).

Yeah, and he had a big opportunity to do so last episode when he shot agent Hand and the camera lingered on him for a few seconds. I definitely noticed he hailed no hydra.

If the writers are angling for a triple agent reveal, they will have to explain those murders. And it better be convincing or I'll be pretty disappointed.

I've just explained my theory above. However, I will say this. People seem to be checking to see if he says "Hail HYDRA" as an indication that he's truly a HYDRA member. To me, a double/triple agent is one who is more likely to say those words than someone who is legitimately following Garrett (particularly following Garrett, who really doesn't care about HYDRA anyway and gets annoyed when anyone says that phrase. Really, all the HYDRA people are being used by him too if you think about it).

Press release doesn't have him episode 20, so we'll just have to see how his character is left after next episode. Although I have hard time thinking he won't be in the season finale.

I've got a running bet that Garrett doesn't survive past the next episode. My money's on either Ward, Raina, or Deathlok kicking him into the trash bin he deserves. Garrett is just a mercenary, not a HYDRA ideologue. The HYDRA loyalists see right through him.

Although none of the three people you mentioned are any more of a HYDRA ideologue than Garrett.

I suspect he'll retreat to the shadows for a bit (i.e., not be in the next couple episodes) and then return for the finale. That's my guess, at least.

Raina seemed really disappointed that The Clairvoyant was anything but. I sense treachery ahead.

A Fitz, Simmons, and Raina team up would give Coulson an excellent counter to the HYDRA-AIM-Centipede science divisions going forward.

Raina would be particularly helpful in figuring out what's going on with Coulson and Skye, given that their superiors are less than forthcoming with any information.

I seem to remember one of the showrunners mention Paxton being in 6 episodes, but I'm not completely sure on that.

Only one man should kill Garrett and that man is Coulson himself. Coulson should be on that list of awesome creatures/people that killed Paxton-characters, making Paxton the only actor ever killed by a Predator, a Terminator, an Alien and a Son of Coul.

Only one man should kill Garrett and that man is Coulson himself. Coulson should be on that list of awesome creatures/people that killed Paxton-characters, making Paxton the only actor ever killed by a Predator, a Terminator, an Alien and a Son of Coul.

Yep.

Coulson vs. Garrett. May vs. Ward.

Get the feeling they are gonna let Skye kill Ward if they off him. May will start the fight and somehow Ward will be about to kill her and Skye kills him.

Although none of the three people you mentioned are any more of a HYDRA ideologue than Garrett.

I suspect he'll retreat to the shadows for a bit (i.e., not be in the next couple episodes) and then return for the finale. That's my guess, at least.

I could see that. The Agents will probably be focused on the stuff and people he got from the Fridge, while he's working from behind the scenes on his actual main objective (a little slight of hand to distract the team).

I wouldn't mind if Bill Paxton stuck around for season 2. Ive enjoyed his character...

If Garrett is to be dispatched, then it should be another Samuel L. Jackson vs. Robert
Redford confrontation, only with Clark Gregg and Bill Paxton this time.

If Garrett is to be dispatched, then it should be another Samuel L. Jackson vs. Robert
Redford confrontation, only with Clark Gregg and Bill Paxton this time.

Then Garrett's final words should be Hail Hydra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"