Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of SHIELD - S02E16 - "AfterLife"

That number of Inhumans waiting to even be considered to take The Mists is just begging some mad guy to drop a Terrigen Bomb.

Einzatsgruppen SHIELD will be completely screwed at that point .

And Coulson is going to somehow beat of Herr Doctor and gain favour with The Elders (and he has got the poly juice in his veins)

That will probably happen at the end of the Inhumans movie which will be a good the for IW part 2

That will probably happen at the end of the Inhumans movie which will be a good the for IW part 2

I was just looking at where it comes in the sequence and it goes off at the end of Infinity Wars .So bomb goes off at end of IW1 (Ms Marvel will no doubt turn up in Captain Marvel in 2018) and Inhumans is about the aftermath with thousands of newly minted (and untrained) Inhumans and possibly a city within a city in NY.

If Jiaying has the same regen powers as Wolverine could Daisy bust her heart as that part of her badassery aint ever getting told with Fox/MCU cold war likely to run until Infinty.

I forgot they switched Inhumans to after IW part 2 now, so ya if it goes down that would be the likely place. In the original announcement it was in between the two parts of IW

Amazing episode over all, but what happened to Fitz speech problems. It didn't come up once in this episode. I know he was slowly getting better but damn, it was like he was back to normal now.

Also mad props to Jemma. She went from being a terrible liar in season 1, a person who couldn't tell a lie to save her life, to working undercover at hydra, to fooling Bobby (a top spy), and now fooling a number of people at the "Real Shield". Mad props to this girl's character development.

Also getting Deathlock back was great, I was expecting someone like Hawkeye (as I heard rumors he might make it on the show, and I was thinking this is sooner than later if those rumors were true) but this was just as welcomed. Would love to see a bit more of him, before he goes off to go do his thing again.

Really don't care for Lincoln, but we'll see how that turns out, maybe he'll change my opinion of him in the next few episodes.

Kind of surprised that Cal bit**ed and moaned about Whitehall being dead, when he knew how his wife's abilities worked, and Whitehall stole them. Since he wasn't surprised by her being alive, it would stand to reason that he was aware of her being alive before hand. Then why did he think Whitehall is dead, when he just replicated her powers? Kind of lame imo, just to try and throw a twist on us down the line, when I think a good portion of us always suspected he was still alive.

Follow me on Twitter @tomspencervfx for comic book, movie and visual effects related stuff!

I could get behind Fitz-Simmons working on two fronts: The former helping Coulson's resistance and the latter doing undercover work within Real SHIELD.

Gotta be team Phil all the way. I'm on the side of support those with Powers/Gifts.

I don't like the Gonzales (and probably stark) side of people with powers need to be controlled.

Damn AoU could be a fun movie setting up these plotlines until Cap3.

I could get behind Fitz-Simmons working on two fronts: The former helping Coulson's resistance and the latter doing undercover work within Real SHIELD.

Ya, give RS a taste of their own medicine!

Urgh, this episode. I'm pretty sure it has permanently imprinted a stupid grin on my face. The FitzSimmons stuff was adorable, the Deathlok and Skys's mum twists were great, Hunter/Coulson is my new OTP, Bobbi's turning towards the light...

'Kay, sorry, just fanboyed all over the place. I'll be quiet now.

Why do so many people think that Cal wasn't surprised to see his wife?

Some time has passed between when he arrived and his wife telling him that they found Daisy...and the last time we saw him, he was walking to go meet some mysterious Inhuman. That person he met was likely his wife, who he's caught up with a bit, and therefore wasn't surprised to see her later on.

Such a damn good episode. I do wonder why Skye's mom didn't come out and tell her the truth though. Nice scars on her face though
Gordon told Cal that his actions risked everything they had built, sealing not only his fate but the fate of his daughter. I suspect the elders may have decided to kill Skye and Raina - apart from Cal -, though I'm not sure why. Is it perhaps because they know their transformation in a Kree temple would send a subspace signal and there is a risk of a Kree attack? But I guess not, because that would probably not be prevented by killing Skye and Raina, and Cal has nothing to do with it anyway. Perhaps is to avoid detection by Shield, by letting them have the bodies?

But the senior elder seems to be Jiaying. That would be a dark twist (meets Skye for a few days, then turns her over to be executed? That would be seriously messed up)

Last edited:
Gordon told Cal that his actions risked everything they had built, sealing not only his fate but the fate of his daughter. I suspect the elders may have decided to kill Skye and Raina - apart from Cal -, though I'm not sure why. Is it perhaps because they know their transformation in a Kree temple would send a subspace signal and there is a risk of a Kree attack? But I guess not, because that would probably not be prevented by killing Skye and Raina, and Cal has nothing to do with it anyway. Perhaps is to avoid detection by Shield, by letting them have the bodies?

But the senior elder seems to be Jiaying. That would be a dark twist (meets Skye for a few days, then turns her over to be executed? That would be seriously messed up)

Sealing their fate could just mean that they would not be allowed to leave.

Sealing their fate could just mean that they would not be allowed to leave.
True, that's another possibility, which would still make it dark, even if (perhaps, but see below) less so.
But I'm not sure how they could keep Skye prisoner without killing her and without keeping her sedated or otherwise immobilized all of the time. They can't just take away her power - the transition is irreversible.

Whatever it is, it smells really bad. But maybe they can be talked out of it?

True, that's another possibility, which would still make it dark, even if (perhaps, but see below) less so.
But I'm not sure how they could keep Skye prisoner without killing her and without keeping her sedated or otherwise immobilized all of the time. They can't just take away her power - the transition is irreversible.

Whatever it is, it smells really bad. But maybe they can be talked out of it?

We'll see. It might not even be that bad. Cal sealed his and her fates by giving them powers? The consequences that they will have to learn to control their powers before leaving? Who knows. Doubt Cal would be so calm if they wanted to kill Skye. Nor would Skyes mother.

There will be a twist though. It can't all be sitting on mountain tops getting stoned. Think Skye will have to escape at some point. Or something will attack the After Life.

We'll see. It might not even be that bad. Cal sealed his and her fates by giving them powers? The consequences that they will have to learn to control their powers before leaving? Who knows. Doubt Cal would be so calm if they wanted to kill Skye. Nor would Skyes mother.

There will be a twist though. It can't all be sitting on mountain tops getting stoned. Think Skye will have to escape at some point. Or something will attack the After Life.
Maybe it's not that bad; I'm speculating. :) But still, Cal had just been beaten up badly by Gordon, and he looked terrified when Gordon said that. Perhaps, he managed to control himself well enough (as he seemed to be when he was telling Jiaying that he forgave her, that she surely had reasons, etc. - which he obviously didn't believe, but he was afraid), in order to try to talk his way out and/or just stall, looking for a way to escape and help Skye. But he doesn't seem to have many options.

As for Jiaying, the dark turn I'm talking about is that she's the most senior elder. In other words, if the plan is to either kill or else somehow sedate Skye for life, Jiaying is probably in on it, which is also perhaps why she's not telling Skye that she's her mother.

Why do so many people think that Cal wasn't surprised to see his wife?

Some time has passed between when he arrived and his wife telling him that they found Daisy...and the last time we saw him, he was walking to go meet some mysterious Inhuman. That person he met was likely his wife, who he's caught up with a bit, and therefore wasn't surprised to see her later on.

That much is obvious,but they missed out on showing us what was presumably a startling revelation to him.

They didn't show Cal's reunion with his wife because they wanted to save that big reveal for Skye. Was that a good move? No, I'm not arguing that at all.

I wonder if Cal knew about his wife being alive in advance. The show obviously wanted us to believe that she was dead (not sure why, I have zero investment in her character), and her presumed death was part of what led Cal on his decades long quest for revenge and reunion...but maybe he knew that she was alive. It is possible that he was not allowed into Afterlife, so he was separated from his wife by her own free will (or at least she agreed to follow instructions to not be with him), and he figured that a reunion with Daisy might get him into the good graces of the Inhumans enough to have a full reunion. I'd have to rewatch earlier episodes to jog my memory on the details.

To your point...if Cal did NOT know that she was alive all those years, then the show made a HUGE mistake by not showing us the emotional wallop it must have been to find out that she is alive and simply didn't bother to tell him. Cal has been a fantastic character thus far with a great performance by the actor...so we missed out on what could have been an amazing scene of him realizing that the last few decades of his life have been at least partially a sham.

Do you think fitz was getting followed at the end?

unless he knows where coulson is not sure fitz is in good place. Any allies he has in real shield can think he is at home reading a book while anyone with a war mindset can properly take him of the chess board.

About Cal and Jiaying, an interview explain everything:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/agents-shield-chloe-bennet-mother-787182
He was the one who put her back,” Bell said. “He was the one who found her and stitched, sewed and put the parts back together so she could use her healing ability to come back.”

“Calvin’s known that she’s been alive, but she was upset with him for losing Skye. They looked and didn’t find her. As in real life, when a couple loses a child, they split in anger,” Bell added.

Bell warns that Calvin has since been driven by one thought: "If I can find my daughter, if I can reunite my family, my wife will forgive me for what happened 26 years ago and she will love me and we’ll be a happy fami
ly."

Skye is with the inhumans in the mountains, possibly the Himalayas.
It seems like the afterlife is an Inhumans half way house.
Nah but Lincoln alluded to how people are chosen for terragenesis. Which one would assume the Royal Family has a say in.

The Genetic Council are the ones charged with making decisions concerning the use of the Terrigen Mists and the fate of the Inhumans so I imagine they are the Elders.

Depending on how old they want the Inhuman royal family to be in the movie, Blackbolt may not be king yet. Agon, head of the ruling Council of Genetics and father of Blackbolt & Maximus may still be king.

I don't think the Inhuman left on earth and the Royal family/Attilan are related.

This ep reminded me how much I love Ruth Negga. I hope we see more of her before the end of this season, I've missed her.

So much happening! I did not expect Deathlok at all! wow! I loved that part

Amazing episode over all, but what happened to Fitz speech problems. It didn't come up once in this episode. I know he was slowly getting better but damn, it was like he was back to normal now.

Also mad props to Jemma. She went from being a terrible liar in season 1, a person who couldn't tell a lie to save her life, to working undercover at hydra, to fooling Bobby (a top spy), and now fooling a number of people at the "Real Shield". Mad props to this girl's character development.

Also getting Deathlock back was great, I was expecting someone like Hawkeye (as I heard rumors he might make it on the show, and I was thinking this is sooner than later if those rumors were true) but this was just as welcomed. Would love to see a bit more of him, before he goes off to go do his thing again.

Really don't care for Lincoln, but we'll see how that turns out, maybe he'll change my opinion of him in the next few episodes.

Kind of surprised that Cal bit**ed and moaned about Whitehall being dead, when he knew how his wife's abilities worked, and Whitehall stole them. Since he wasn't surprised by her being alive, it would stand to reason that he was aware of her being alive before hand. Then why did he think Whitehall is dead, when he just replicated her powers? Kind of lame imo, just to try and throw a twist on us down the line, when I think a good portion of us always suspected he was still alive.

he seemed surprised to see his wife to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"