Alejandro Gonzalez to helm.....Birdman

Michelle doesn't want to do nudity, whereas Julianne Moore is all for it, so she gets some of the more riskier parts. Interestingly, Michelle was offered the role in Still Alice (Playing a doctor with early Alzheimer's disease) first, but turned it down... now Moore's in it getting all kinds of buzz. :csad:

''I swear she's destined for the screen... closest thing to Michelle Pfeiffer that you've ever seen!'' - Vance Joy, Riptide.

[YT]uJ_1HMAGb4k[/YT]
I am glad she passed .
My Mom has Dementia issues.
Because of that , I don't see any movies that touch on that topic, too heart wrenching .
I love Michelle and I would hate to pass on one of her projects for personal reasons .

Excellent weekend for Birdman, especially for just 50 theaters.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice 20m ago
BIRDMAN took in an estimated $1.44M this weekend from 50 locations. Domestic total stands at $2.07M. #Birdman

Eh, the Rope-style "one-shot" gimmick is pretty much in support of nothing past the first 20 minutes or so of the film. Its impressive on a technical level but also just kind of tedious (Which more or less sums up the movie as a whole). The movie loses a lot of energy after the focus shifts away from the conflict with Norton's character.

The runtime is mostly made up of characters half yelling at each other "THIS IS WHAT MY SPECIFIC PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAUMA IS. THIS IS HOW I RELATE TO EACH OTHER CHARACTER." It was like the actors chewing scenery while reading off wikipedia summaries about their characters.

I will say though, Norton was outstanding.

You do realize the one-shot 'gimmick' as you call it is a physical representation of one of the themes of the film itself, right? The cinematography makes the film like a play and the directorial choice to do so is to disprove the notion that screen actors are not as impressive as theater actors because the performances are re-built in the editing room, which is an underlining conflict in the whole film.

Not to mention, nothing technical in filmmaking is gimmicky. Filmmaking is story-telling, and the way you tell the story is just as important as the story itself. Think of kids. Someone reading a children's book monotone is going to put the kids to sleep. Someone reading the same book making funny voices for each character and using different cadence in their voice is exciting to the kids. How you tell a story is often more important than the story itself and that is the job of the director: figuring out how to tell the story. The stories of films are told through cinematography and editing, therefore making every cinematography choice and editing choice crucial to the film itself.

Not understanding this is equivalent to not understanding the art of filmmaking. This is what filmmaking boils down to. Great stories don't make great films. Think of all the great novels that are ****** films. Filmmaking is great story-telling. This film is kind of a perfect example of this which, in turn, means this film is kind of flawlessly directed.

Last edited:
Michelle doesn't want to do nudity, whereas Julianne Moore is all for it, so she gets some of the more riskier parts. Interestingly, Michelle was offered the role in Still Alice (Playing a doctor with early Alzheimer's disease) first, but turned it down... now Moore's in it getting all kinds of buzz. :csad:

''I swear she's destined for the screen... closest thing to Michelle Pfeiffer that you've ever seen!'' - Vance Joy, Riptide.

[YT]uJ_1HMAGb4k[/YT]

Moore has always been willing to take riskier roles than many of the other actresses in Hollywood. The first breakout role I remember Moore did was for a part in Robert Altman's Short Cut. It's a movie with many actors doing many different (and seemingly unrelated) stories, and Julianne Moore took a role in which she'd have to be performing without anything to wear from the waist down. The gamble paid off, and she eventually became a big star and enjoyed success. I think she's a great actress, and the fact that she's not afraid to disrobe is to be commended.

Moore has always been willing to take riskier roles than many of the other actresses in Hollywood. The first breakout role I remember Moore did was for a part in Robert Altman's Short Cut. It's a movie with many actors doing many different (and seemingly unrelated) stories, and Julianne Moore took a role in which she'd have to be performing without anything to wear from the waist down. The gamble paid off, and she eventually became a big star and enjoyed success. I think she's a great actress, and the fact that she's not afraid to disrobe is to be commended.

Speaking of Julianne Moore, I just recently saw Assassins (1995) for the first time which she happened to be in. She was hot as hell back then and didn't look anywhere near the 33-34 age that she would've been while filming the movie, she looked about 10 years younger!

I just got back home from seeing this. I was lucky enough to be 20 mins away from a theater that's screening it.

In short, this film is fantastic. I think that at the very least, it deserves a Best Cinematography Oscar, and a Best Actor Oscar for Michael Keaton. Guys ... Keaton is in beast mode in this movie. He was simply incredible.

Now that I think of it, the entire cast was incredible. Edward Norton and Emma Stone were great supporting roles, and Zach Galifanakis surprised the heck out of me with his performance. He was great as the "strait man" in this dark comedy.

Some may interpret this movie as a big middle finger to comic book movies, but I didn't view it that way, personally. I think it was more of a commentary on the culture behind big blockbusters and how people today (in the social media/instant gratification age) view actors in these types of roles, and how actors view themselves in these types of roles. Being in a big blockbuster can make or break an acting career, and this movie displays how it did both for the main character.

I just got back home from seeing this. I was lucky enough to be 20 mins away from a theater that's screening it.

In short, this film is fantastic. I think that at the very least, it deserves a Best Cinematography Oscar, and a Best Actor Oscar for Michael Keaton. Guys ... Keaton is in beast mode in this movie. He was simply incredible.

Now that I think of it, the entire cast was incredible. Edward Norton and Emma Stone were great supporting roles, and Zach Galifanakis surprised the heck out of me with his performance. He was great as the "strait man" in this dark comedy.

Some may interpret this movie as a big middle finger to comic book movies, but I didn't view it that way, personally. I think it was more of a commentary on the culture behind big blockbusters and how people today (in the social media/instant gratification age) view actors in these types of roles, and how actors view themselves in these types of roles. Being in a big blockbuster can make or break an acting career, and this movie displays how it did both for the main character.

Don't watch any interviews with Gonzalez. I'm a huge fan of this fiilm, but the comments he's made about the superhero genre are pretty ridiculous. It's safe to say he meant it to be a big middle finger to them. I've just choosen to interpret it a bit differently not vastly different from your opinion.

Don't watch any interviews with Gonzalez. I'm a huge fan of this fiilm, but the comments he's made about the superhero genre are pretty ridiculous. It's safe to say he meant it to be a big middle finger to them. I've just choosen to interpret it a bit differently not vastly different from your opinion.

I actually just finished reading two interviews that he did, and yes, his comments are very ridiculous (and sadly, pretentious as hell, too).

Luckily, though, his ridiculous opinion didn't affect the outcome of the movie (at least I didn't think so). I feel that his approach to the movie was quite evenly handled despite his spite for the genre and blockbusters in general.

Some of my all time favorite directors would probably hate this genre. I'm fine with it.

He did talk good things about Nolan's Batman.

what kind of comments does he make?

what kind of comments does he make?

Based on the two interviews I read, these are the things he said that stood out to me (in a bad way). Please note that I am not wording this verbatim. I'm just giving the gist of what he's said, and also paraphrasing.

-He said that superheroes are fine if you're a child. If you're an adult and love superheroes, then you suffer from a Peter Pan disease that the corporations made you develop.

-Superhero films are okay enough to be called popcorn movies. They can't be profound. They are ultimately about nothing.

-Superhero films are part of a right-wing conspiracy, because superheroes fight and kill to force their opinions on people that don't follow their moral code.

-Superhero films are taking over the film industry to the point where no other movies are "allowed" to be made.

Thankfully, these kind of extreme opinions don't show through in Birdman. He put his storytelling over personal opinion, which was great (and highly appreciated, since I find his opinions to be quite pompous). The movie certainly questions the authenticity of the art behind big blockbuster movies, but it mostly focuses on how these big money-makers affect the artists (like how being Birdman affected the main character). There's a social commentary on how we as a society today often consume the work being made, but we don't take the time to acknowledge the artists who made it; that we all see the masks, but not the people/actors/artists behind those masks.

Along with all of this, the movie also hilariously shows Edward Norton (one of those "artistic, screw the establishment" actors) being a huge, egocentric jerk. He's especially a jerk to Michael Keaton, since he views himself as more of an "artist."

Last edited:
Gonzalez seems like a director version of ed norton's character for sure.

Just saw this. So excited that it made it here and I didn't have to drive. From a technical perspective the film is a chaotic assault of wonder for your eyes. I mean, the camera work here is just inspired. I can't even begin to praise this enough. They thought out every detail.

The acting and score are just as impressive too. Keaton and Norton give some of their best performances ever, and the floaty, free-for-all drum score really adds some punch to this film. I LOVED this score. Brilliant move.

Two more things that stood out for me:

1) META META META - The Superhero commentary... I wasn't sure what to make of it. The movie definitely implies that it's inherently bad, yet I just can't help feeling it should have been fleshed out more. I feel like the problems were more tied to Hollywood and its nature more than superheroes.

2) MORE META - Edward Norton is notorious for being difficult to work with and his character in this film is hilariously on point. Mix that with the fact that he worked with Marvel and you have the best meta satire ever. Seriously made me laugh.

Honestly, I'm not to sure what to make of the film as a whole, but it was a visual achievement with some INCREDIBLE performances. I definitely need to see this again.

It has just arrived to México. I´going to see it this weekend.
I saw the trailer on youtube and made the sad mistake of reading the comments. People were incredibly confused. Most tougth it was actually just another superhero movie.

I gotta say this sticks with you, I'm still thinking about this movie today. :up:

Jack Nicholson has seen the film and has called Keaton's performance ''masterful'':

[YT]kbEjzZD3Lcg[/YT]

So, yeah... that's pretty cool. Let's hope he can maintain his Oscar buzz moving foward and that awful Cumberbatch doesn't overtake.

I didn't know there was a thread for this film! I skipped work Friday and drove 50 miles to see this. It is by far my favorite film of the year so far, I loved Keaton's performance it felt like he tapped into personal experience. I thought galifinakis was a great straight man but he still had great comic timing, especially with scenes with Keaton. I didn't read this as a shot against comic book movies directly I think whatever movie genre was popular right now with the same actor in the title could have worked the same ( die hard franchise came to mind)

How was everyone's crowd? Mine was maybe half full with older people. I did see it in San Francisco at a Sundance theater so its kind of a tourist venue.

I had a pretty full crowd but there was only one theater around here that was showing it at the time.

Absolutely loved this movie. Loved the one shot style, as it really played to the life-is-a-play theme. Gorgeously shot all around. Loved the blend of real and surreal. Keaton, Stone, Norton, and Gallifinakis were incredible. Woke up still thinking about it, which is my barometer for a special movie.

It just made me reflect on so many things, despite not really sharing Thompson's life experiences. Just got straight to the core of me. The "commentary" on pop culture was just window dressing, in my view. This movie was really about choosing what kind of person you want to be, and the courage and outright recklessness that it sometimes take.

Also loved the meta-ness of Norton being a difficult, eccentric weirdo.

Golden Globe nominations for Birdman

http://deadline.com/2014/12/golden-globes-nominations-full-list-1201319551/

BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
BIRDMAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
MICHAEL KEATON : BIRDMAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
EMMA STONE: BIRDMAN

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
EDWARD NORTON: BIRDMAN

BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE
ALEJANDRO GONZÁLEZ: BIRDMAN (IÑÁRRITU)

BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE
ALEJANDRO GONZÁLEZ BIRDMAN (IÑÁRRITU,NICOLÁS GIACOBONE, ALEXANDER DINELARIS, ARMANDO BO)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE
ANTONIO SANCHEZ: BIRDMAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"