All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found from Supermanhomepage.com that MOS will stop screening in many major cinema chains across the USA, Canada and UK this coming week! I haven't seen it for the second time yet; I don't want to break my promise to myself :( I need to see it again! So if you intend to see MOS one more time, you better be quick!

But as for good news: its currently at $619 millions worldwide, from $281 million in the USA, with international figures currently standing at around $338 million, and some more markets have yet to open. Doubtful, but I hope that it can hurry and get even close to $300 Million, we can be happy.

Second hand theaters, man. The A/V equipment may or may not be up to scratch, and the environment may or may not "feel safe", but they are usually pretty cheap.

I have a theater near me that shows movies that have screened from months earlier for 1.50.

Last edited:
As long as you don't sacrifice your rent money just to see it in a big IMAX theater and then open a PayPal account and ask for money, you're good. :D

"laughs" Rent money? lol. Don't worry, I can afford another screening and Pacific Rim. Maybe more too...STOP! Just those two movies, and no more until the 26th. lol

Second hand theaters, man. The A/V equipment may or may not be up to scratch, and the environment may or may not "feel safe", but they are usually pretty cheap.

I have a theater near me that shows movies that have screened from months earlier for 1.50.

I have a theater too, and I haven't been there since...wow, 1996: 17 years ago. I don't know if and when MOS will be there, but I'm also checking them because a friend of mine wants to see Star Trek before the Blu-ray release.

"laughs" Rent money? lol. Don't worry, I can afford another screening and Pacific Rim. Maybe more too...STOP! Just those two movies, and no more until the 26th. lol

I have a theater too, and I haven't been there since...wow, 1996: 17 years ago. I don't know if and when MOS will be there, but I'm also checking them because a friend of mine wants to see Star Trek before the Blu-ray release.
What can I say? The Bat Boards are a wealth of inspiration. :awesome:

After seeing Pacific Rim, Del Toro is the one for JL. The interplay among the characters and how well he executed the relationships throughout the movie reminded me of how Whedon did his Avengers. They are obviously two different directors with two different filmmaking approaches and vision, but both know how to craft a story with an assemble cast.

I loved Pacific Rim. Holy COW

Boo. I don't want an Avengers movie. I LIKE these characters from MOS, and I don't want to see anyone mucking with them. They're perfect as they are.

But I can see that fandom is willing to ruin the entire thing, just so they can stroke their fannish egos.

The whole reason the Superman franchise has suffered on screen is because it has toed the line, and catered far too much to comic book fans. Guess what? That formula doesn't work with Superman. Avengers is dumb and campy anyway, so it can be that way in the films too. Superman is a totally different character from any of the Marvel ones. Really, aside from Batman, there are no other comic book characters out there who can compare.

The serious, dark versions of both Superman and Batman are necessary if any of you want them to remain relevant going into the future.

While I agree that the humor in MOS could have been better, I don't think a lot of slapstick, stupid humor would have worked for the story. Perhaps they can lighten things up just a little in the next film, but I don't want to see things become campy and stupid.

What makes MOS a good film is that it's a lot different than the stuff we've gotten from Marvel (which is plainly so awful I won't even go see their films any more). I have never seen a set of films become so overrated. They can be entertaining, in a vapid, ditzy sort of way. But there's almost no substance to the film, no weight, and that makes them unimportant.

I don't want ditzy. I don't want stupid relationship ploys to add 'drama'. I want MOS to be smart and interesting. I want the characters to remain intelligent and warm, strong, but also able to show weakness, and to accept help.

Third viewing, Superman was very good again. When it goes to dollar theater, I am totally seeing it like four more times.

I don't see why people feel the need to attack The Avengers to defend MOS. BOTH movies were fantastic, but in very different ways, and that's fine.

It doesn't have to be urgent. Remember the transition from BB to TDK? In BB, we saw Bruce Wayne take the law into his own hands as he became the first Gothamite to take action against Carmine Falcone. In TDK, we saw how Batman (and Harvey Dent) furthered his war on crime and had a positive effect on the city, and Gotham was in transition from ****** crime-filled area, to a more liveable place. You can apply similar logic from MOS to MOS II, where you had a Superman that fought off alien threats for the sake of humanity, now let's see how Superman would function in a normal city (decent levels of crime etc), or even with world issues at hand. The point is to see how the Superman ideal has been recognized by the people of Metropolis and the World, and MOSII would be a perfect opportunity to explore that.

But when TDK begins we see the Joker already deep into his plans against the city. I think MOS2 will start with Luthor well underway with his influence grown greatly over the city. These movies (I guess you could say led by Nolan) are very plot-driven, the Batman movies jumped forward, not showing these everyday kind of capers, but when trouble was really brewing again. Yes, you will see how Superman has affected the world by his presence, but I don't think there will be much time when all will be well for very long.

I don't see why people feel the need to attack The Avengers to defend MOS. BOTH movies were fantastic, but in very different ways, and that's fine.
highlander-movie1.jpg

There can be only ONE!!!!

Del Toro definitely has an awesome imagination and I enjoyed his balance of humour and drama in this context (though it was still full of cheesy lines that could have been straight out of Goyer's book).

But I wouldn't want him for anything Superman or JL.

I'm okay with Zack staying on, I think the things I disliked in terms of directing where much less than writing, and the visuals are really the saving grace and the only thing that made it feel a step above a lot of the other mediocre comic book films like GL, F4, DD etc.

Del Toro definitely has an awesome imagination and I enjoyed his balance of humour and drama in this context (though it was still full of cheesy lines that could have been straight out of Goyer's book).

I'm okay with Zack staying on, I think the things I disliked in terms of directing where much less than writing, and the visuals are really the saving grace and the only thing that made it feel a step above a lot of the other mediocre comic book films like GL, F4, DD etc.
I have to say one thing, MOS has made me tolerate Goyer A LOT less.

Anyone who thinks Avengers is campy doesn't know what camp is.

Yeah, I agree. Both are great. MOS has more flaws than Avengers in my book, but, for the things it got right, the new Superman film hit the ball out of the park. As for Avengers, it was nothing short of a comic book brought to life in stunning detail. That said, we're definitely spoiled nowadays with an abundance of quality comic-to-film adaptations; and that's not a bad thing at all. :woot:

Last edited:

Pretty much this. Darren Arrofskny is the only question mark for me, I do wonder what his MOS would have been like. Flaws and all I wouldn't trade MOS for anything though. Snyder blew me away with his visuals in this. It just found it very uneven which I found with Watchmen too. The first half of MOS, as messy as it is, has moments of perfection for me. The music really lifts this movie up so much more above other CBM's too. So much more.

things are not right when we quote armond is a positive light lol

Agreed :up:

I feel so lucky that we keep getting these great movies, I don't know why people feel the need to trash something to big something else up.

It bugs me that people trash STM when they say how much they loved MOS. STM is still a great film regardless.

Don't even get me started on the DC vs Marvel thing. That drives me insane.

It's asinine tribalism at it's best. But I do find it interesting to see how certain trends express themselves. From somebody who loves AVENGERS, saw it in the theatre 5 times and owns it on Blu Ray, all last year we heard a lot of "It's a kids movie", "It's unserious" or "There were no stakes in the final battle". Now A1 is being held up as a standard MOS does not meet, which has the complaints now of "Too somber and self serious,"Joyless" and of course now everybody takes the stakes of the final battle much more seriously because "MOS has too many civilian casualties that the Avengers avoided". And the world keeps spinning and spinning...

Last edited:
Some people will just never be happy unfortunately. Its the age of the internet, everyone has become a critic. I remember been a kid and just losing myself in a film, it doesn't happen much nowadays. We all seem to find problems instead of just enjoying what's been put infront of us. Of course some go to the extreme which is where all the civilian casualties complaints and such come from.

^i agree people these days are over critical of everything in film and just cant enjoy films anymore

it seems people cant enjoy films and sit and and watch a film with hands on their hips saying you better impress me

^i agree people these days are over critical of everything in film and just cant enjoy films anymore

it seems people cant enjoy films and sit and and watch a film with hands on their hips saying you better impress me

I've listened to some of what Kevin Smith has said about that kind of attitude. He himself says he often has that "you better freaking impress me movie" mind set. But he also has that reasonable voice in the back of his head that goes "Dude... It's all just B.S. Calm down."

Wasn't convinced Del Toro could direct a Superman movie (a Justice League Dark, sure, after all Hellboy worked for me), but after catching Pacific Rim, I have changed my mind. MOS would have a different tone, that's for sure.

Plus Ron Perlman would make an appearance!

Snyder's visuals are stunning but I think Del Toro would have brought more story to the spectacle in the action pieces. The Hong Kong fight in Pacific Rim is the best onscreen fight amongst the summer blockbusters so far IMO.

Last edited:
I've listened to some of what Kevin Smith has said about that kind of attitude. He himself says he often has that "you better freaking impress me movie" mind set. But he also has that reasonable voice in the back of his head that goes "Dude... It's all just B.S. Calm down."

I love Kevin Smith sometimes :funny:

It's definitely the attitude I went into MOS with, and it's an experiance I've learned from and won't let happen again.

Cause it IS all BS :p

Personally, this is what I'd ask for regarding how I'd like to see the DCU turn out in the long run.

1. Have the next film, MOS Sequel, establish Superman as the hero that people are more familiar with, along with him being able to get the world to finally trust him.

2. Superman's goal in the first Justice League film would be to find the other heroes around the world, with Lois's help, and try to form a team with them, believing that they can accomplish more good as a group than as solo heroes. The film would result into Superman becoming the official leader of the group; thus fulfilling what Jor-el said about how Clark would someday lead humanity into greater heights.

3. MOS 3 could involve Brainiac, possibly take him into space like how they did for the animated film "Superman: Unbound"; that way, you wouldn't have to deal with the whole, "Why couldn't Superman call one of the Justice League members" scenario while allowing Brainiac to unleash hell on Superman.

4. Justice League 2 could deal with an scenario that pays tribute to the whole "Death/world without/Return of Superman" angle where Superman is believed to have died and the Justice League has to figure out on where they go on from there.

5. The Final Justice League film, starring Henry as Clark/Superman....well give the JL a good closing arc. Henry would have appeared in 6 films as Superman (and hopefully Amy as well as Lois) by then and if the studio would want to continue on with the franchise, recast someone else by then and they could go off the same continuity established by then for the DCU but at the same time, fans who have been following the DCU and Henry's tenure as Superman would get a nice closure the same way that Iron Man 3 did for RDJ as Iron Man for his solo franchise (for the time being)

DC needs to do a Bond type thing for me now. Stuff these trilogys, although you can maybe still have trilogies but when its time to reboot just carry on. No need to do full on reboots after 3 films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"