All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that Johns will be a presence that helps inject the comic book elements where necessary.

I like that Johns will be a presence that helps inject the comic book elements where necessary.

One thing that Marvel has done for DC movies is to make them realize that staying closer to source material (comics) is a good thing, now someone like Chris Terrio or Ben Affleck (or even Zack Snyder, David Ayer, Patty Jenkins, James Wan) cannot be expected to be well versed with comics (few fans are)

Earlier, during Nolan days, Goyer played the role of resident comic book expert to develop stories, now I guess with Goyer's departure, someone was needed and Geoff Johns fits that description.

^ I personally like the fact that an active comic writer is working with Ben Affleck. I feel like Affleck will make his script good, and Johns would make it comic-bookish. Since Affleck gets final say, I am sure that it will be the right amount of cinematic and comic book storytelling.

Was there any news on additional castings for the solo WW movie during CC that I may have missed? Doesn't this thing start rolling in just a few months?

^ Yeah, it starts filming some time in the fall, but no castings were announced at SDCC. They can't be too far away though.

So the concept art has doughboys in it, from SDCC. I am not even sure where they are going with this film. From rumors to now hearing about Wonder Woman being with WWI soldiers... I don't see what the through line is so far. Hopefully the use and approach to Diana that we glean in BVS will shed some light on things.

Ya'll seen these Morrison comments?

CKD78vGWwAA8fIN.png

How do people judge an entire character on like 4 seconds of trailer footage?

Not sure if that was actually him complaining. Seems like he's just saying what he saw. We don't know what Diana will be like as a civilian in BvS... besides being fashionable.

CKD78vGWwAA8fIN.png

Yeah, I did. I just posted it in "Wonder Woman's role" thread in BvS subforum:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...atman-v-superman-wonder-womans-pacifist-roots

I have a huge respect for the guy, he is quite intelligent and is usually very on-point, especially when it comes to these characters. He is right here as well about what Wonder Woman should be about, but I think he is jumping the gun with this comment. Snyder didn't do anything that wasn't done with her during the decades of comics - I believe it was in the seventies when they made her more warrior-like. And despite that, she is rarely depicted as a warrior through and through, writers usually tend to tackle the paradoxical nature of her being a pacifist that was raised a warrior. Sometimes they manage to handle that well, quite often they don't. So lets wait and see how will Snyder do it before judging it, I say.

If he really made her a "badass trigger-happy warrior that is kicking asses all over the place", then I will condemn him as well, have no doubt about that. As of now, it's too early to tell.

And sometimes the original creator isn't always the best take. Characters can evolve for the better. If we only had Shuster and Seigel's Superman or Bob Kane and Bill Finger's Batman we wouldn't have all the stories that people love.

As long as that evolving doesn't mean making her a straight-up warrior, but keeps her compassion, wisdom, altruism and pacifism, I am all for leaving male-imposed qualities of what woman should be from the 1940's, such as being tame and submissive, etc.

One just needs to learn to recognize and set apart qualities that are exclusively or predominantly feminine from sexist standards of previous eras.

Every week that we don't hear some casting news is another nervous week for me when it comes to this project.

Every week that we don't hear some casting news is another nervous week for me when it comes to this project.

It's happening. Don't fret. I won't be surprised if that script is going through some revisions that make the concept art at SDCC kinda moot.

See I have no issues with last minute script revisions, rewrites. Just about every blockbuster film goes through that process now, good and bad films so it really isn't a big deal to me.

I'm just impatient and leery because of past experience. Honestly I won't be satisfied until the film is in front of cameras. I might not be so antsy if the director switch hadn't happened.

CKD78vGWwAA8fIN.png

Oh no, of her four shots in the trailer, she was fighting in two of them and wasn't smiling, the horror. It's almost like the trailer won't give you a full view of the full character.

Ben Affleck (or even Zack Snyder, David Ayer, Patty Jenkins, James Wan) cannot be expected to be well versed with comics (few fans are).

Affleck's a pretty huge comic book reader as is Snyder. I'd say their knowledge is above-average among fans

Oh no, of her four shots in the trailer, she was fighting in two of them and wasn't smiling, the horror. It's almost like the trailer won't give you a full view of the full character.

Yeah, I love Morrison, but good lord, man...

CKD78vGWwAA8fIN.png

We get it, Morrison's WW is going to be most true to the character as originally intended by the creator (or maybe even better) but does he have to make a comparison with the movie version of WW ? Especially when he has not seen how she is portrayed in BvS and her own solo movie ?

I find the need to make one thing bad in order to boost up the other asinine. A character like WW is finally (after all these years !) going to appear in a movie, the least that is expected from comic book writers is to give some measure of support for the movie.

Yeah, I love Morrison, but good lord, man...

I’m not a comics guy. But given that WW has been around for so long and has had numerous interpretations, I can appreciate Morrison (within his own medium) wanting to experiment with something a bit different.

But fundamentally, WW is an action hero. And for her first big screen appearance, going with a more traditional approach strikes me as eminently sound. Moreover - and “meta-textually” - there’s a lot of pressure on WW (in BvS and the upcoming solo movie) in terms of demonstrating that a female hero can succeed in a male-dominated genre. And depicting the character as a kind of intellectual/pacifist would, it seems to me, play right into the naysayers’ claim that women can’t really compete on the action front (and it’s better that they play “healers” or “scientists”).

Again, though: perhaps Morrison (benefit of the doubt) is talking about an interesting character exploration for knowledgeable WW fans - and is not prescribing a template for the movies.

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about the lack of casting announcements because we don't when exactly when the film is shooting and also films can be in production and the casting news is announced. I expect we'll hear something soon though

Eh, Morrison is just trying to raise interest in his Earth One: Wonder Woman by attracting older fans.

He's writing an origin for Santa Claus that looks like this. Not exactly the jolly fat elf.

klaus_-_copy_size3.jpg

CKD78vGWwAA8fIN.png

Just sounds like he's talking how in recent times, the fact that she fights is the main selling point WB/DC takes with her for marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"