All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Is that what was stated? Cuz it seems more like she was a no show for 100 yeard, point blank and JL has dialogue as to the reason.

I’m not sure I follow. In Justice League, Diana says that she always stepped up and protected humanity when necessary. But, she didn’t do it in the spotlight and she didn’t lead a team of heroes because she was worried about others dying when following her lead.

I never believed DoJ’s nonsense about Diana abandoning humanity. It was completely contradictory to Diana’s character. To the extent it’s a retcon, then I’m happy about it.

Wonder_Woman_Awards_screenings_static_300x600_La_Times_11.20.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought the film for 4K/Blu-Ray/Digital. Granted...I don't have a 4K player yet- still on Blu Ray- but hoping to get one at some point. That and slowly moving away from Blu Ray+DVD+Digital since with Digital, so long as there's internet (not a guarantee, sure), can watch it anywhere regardless on the laptop. Looking forward to seeing this again.

So, I have a question that may sound rather stupid. I recently watched Wonder Woman and was left with a few questions, the most bothersome regarding her age. Now, at the beginning of the film, Hippolyta tells Diana that she sculpted her from clay and begged Zeus to give her life, while at the end, Ares tells her that she is Zeus and Hippolyta’s love child.

So this is were I started to question.

Regardless of who was telling the truth (though I am inclined to believe Ares as Hippolyta seemed very adamant that Diana never find out the truth of where she came from), both stories would require Zeus to be alive at her conception. So if Zeus died fighting Ares, then Diana must have been born soon after.

The film starts with Diana as a child, which would then put the time/year close to Zeus’s death, when, according to Hippolyta’s origin story, the world was still relatively new. We then see Diana training and undergoing what seemed to be some sort of test. At this point she’s an adult. This is the same day she meets Steve Trevor, who is fighting in WW2.

Basically, how long did it take Diana to grow up? Does time move slower on Themyscira?

The way it is in lots of fantasy/sci fi stories is.....the non human "immortal", while a child, the character ages at a human rate....once they hit around 18, they age at a slower rate. The WW movie looks like they followed this scenario.

By the way....welcome to the Hype.

It's been established they're not immortal but do have insanely long life spans. Diana's is longer due to being born of Zeus, but they're all in present day at least a few millenia old.

It's been established they're not immortal but do have insanely long life spans. Diana's is longer due to being born of Zeus, but they're all in present day at least a few millenia old.

I used "immortal" because I really don't know what to call the Amazons. They aren't mutants....if you use "special" some would complain about associated them with disabled people.....

Amazons aren't immortals or "eternals" because they can still die.

Basically, how long did it take Diana to grow up? Does time move slower on Themyscira?

Ultimately, we don’t know. I think Gal Gadot (or maybe it was Patty Jenkins) estimated Diana’s age as between 800 and two to three thousand years old.

I don’t think time moves more slowly on Themyscira as Etta said that Steve had been missing for weeks from memory (i.e. about the time it would have taken Steve and Diana to sail from Themyscira to England). If time moved that slowly on Themyscira (i.e. for Diana to only be 20 years old even though thousands of years had passed in man’s world), then Steve would have presumably been missing for at least months, if not years, even though he only spent a day or two on the island.

I think Diana aged normally, but it’s possible that it took her longer due to her clay imbued with life, godly conception / heritage (if one accepts that version of events, which JL seemed to refute since it said that Diana had Zeus’ blood).

I think the fact that Themyscira was a literal paradise explains Diana’s naivety even if she’s hundreds or thousands of years old. Her way of thinking had never been challenged until Steve arrived. And Hippolyta gave her a pretty sheltered upbringing.

The reason why the fight was in slow-mo..

She is holding her sword in reverse blade grip.

oqdeuu.gif

Last edited:
So, I have a question that may sound rather stupid. I recently watched Wonder Woman and was left with a few questions, the most bothersome regarding her age. Now, at the beginning of the film, Hippolyta tells Diana that she sculpted her from clay and begged Zeus to give her life, while at the end, Ares tells her that she is Zeus and Hippolyta’s love child.

Regardless of who was telling the truth (though I am inclined to believe Ares as Hippolyta seemed very adamant that Diana never find out the truth of where she came from), both stories would require Zeus to be alive at her conception. So if Zeus died fighting Ares, then Diana must have been born soon after.

The film starts with Diana as a child, which would then put the time/year close to Zeus’s death, when, according to Hippolyta’s origin story, the world was still relatively new. We then see Diana training and undergoing what seemed to be some sort of test. At this point she’s an adult. This is the same day she meets Steve Trevor, who is fighting in WW2.

The way I see it, when we first see young Diana, she is eight years old. I'd assume that is also eight years after Zeus beat Ares the first time.

The next we see her, she is twelve/thirteen, and I think that is a thousand years later. Give or take a few centuries.

When we finally see Gadot in the role, that's two or three thousand years after the beginning of the history story.

I don't think she aged normally and then slowed down when she became an adult. I think she ages slowly, and literally took two or three millennia to reach adulthood. I'd mention that she's still training, and only just able to defeat Antiope just before Steve shows up. If she aged normally, and then slowed, she probably would have been better than all of them millennia earlier.

So, my thinking is that Diana ages very slowly, and took two or three thousand years to reach adulthood. If she's not immortal, then she probably has another six millennia of life left, which I'd assume four or five of those would be at top form.

I don't think the story that Hippolyta told young Diana was 100 % accurate, after all, she herself tells adult Diana that those were just stories.

Apart from that, Ares also tells Diana that her mother was not telling her the truth and has hidden several facts from her.

Also, If you have seen Justice league movie, we can see

Zeus appearing to fight alongside Amazons in history lesson, where Amazons was fighting alongside armies from Atlantis and men. Which means, that even after Zeus created Themyscira, for Amazons he was still alive.

Therefore, Diana could be 'only' 300 to 500 years old. If was Diana very old, then she wold have found out the truth someday, they cannot possibly lie to her for thousands of years.

Last edited:
No. Zeus created the island with his dying breath. The Amazons simply lived before that, among men, in Man's World.

Hippolyta's bedtime story was kinda confusing honestly. She led a revolt that freed them all from enslavement??? Then Zeus led the Gods to their defense??? What on Earth was all that about?

No. Zeus created the island with his dying breath. The Amazons simply lived before that, among men, in Man's World.

Hippolyta's bedtime story was kinda confusing honestly. She led a revolt that freed them all from enslavement??? Then Zeus led the Gods to their defense??? What on Earth was all that about?

I don't think Amazons shown in JL were living among Men, if that was the case, they would be a part of Man's army. The story was not 100 % true.

I don't think Amazons shown in JL were living among Men, if that was the case, they would be a part of Man's army. The story was not 100 % true.

But, the Atlanteans in the flashback hadn’t confined themselves to under the sea, yet they were a separate fighting force.

I think there are good reasons for why the Amazons would remain a separate fighting force, notably the fact that they had to win their freedom from enslavement by men who had been corrupted by Ares (although that could have happened after the flashback). Either way, they were an army created by Zeus, so it stands to reason that they wouldn’t mingle with mankind.

Atlanteans were not under the sea but they were living separately on an Island. (Atlantis), hence the separate Army, same reason why Amazons had a separate Army, they were living separately on Island of Themyscira.

Apart form that, Ares shouldn't be fighting with Zeus if that story was true. Ares hated mankind, he wouldn't show up to save them.

Which means that story was not true, Zeus didn't die and Diana is not thousands of years old. (she is only a few hundred years old)

Last edited:
You may also consider ww was made in a certain way that it can be a standalone film whenever dceu didnt work.

It can serves as course correction or soft reboot.

Trying to harmonize diana's role between bvs, ww and jl or harmonize story of old gods between ww dan jl will produce debatable speculative explanation.

Ares hated humanity, but Steppenwolf wanted to refashion the whole world. As a New God, he would supplant the Old Gods. It was to Ares benefit to help fighting SW off.

The Amazons were traditionally enslaved by Heracles. That is referenced frequently in the comics.

Myths have always been flexible. The bedtime story that used an euphemism to disguise the nature of the weapon (Diana) given to the amazons likely played fast and loose with the exact chronology. I have no problem with such things being left ambiguous or undefined. Allows for some freedom in interpreting things for future movies.

You may also consider ww was made in a certain way that it can be a standalone film whenever dceu didnt work.

It can serves as course correction or soft reboot.

Trying to harmonize diana's role between bvs, ww and jl or harmonize story of old gods between ww dan jl will produce debatable speculative explanation.

While I was sceptical of them setting all the WW movies in the past before, in hindsight it was probably a good decision so that if the other movies didn't work, WW would remain intact and could still function on its own but if they did work then WW would just provide backstory.

Ares hated humanity, but Steppenwolf wanted to refashion the whole world. As a New God, he would supplant the Old Gods. It was to Ares benefit to help fighting SW off.

The Amazons were traditionally enslaved by Heracles. That is referenced frequently in the comics.

Myths have always been flexible. The bedtime story that used an euphemism to disguise the nature of the weapon (Diana) given to the amazons likely played fast and loose with the exact chronology. I have no problem with such things being left ambiguous or undefined. Allows for some freedom in interpreting things for future movies.

This could be the reason as well. :up:

WW wasn't nominated for a single Golden Globe. And there were no female directors either.

According to Google Trends, Gal Gadot ranks 3rd among actors and Wonder Woman (2017) ranks 2nd only to IT (2017) among movies in 2017.

This vid explains nicely how Gregson Williams used the original WW theme from BvS by Hans Zimmer and made it work for WW movie. The Original Theme goes through many evolutionary stages, now that's smart musical composing.

[YT]CTXVY9bDtVY[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"