All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

This is interesting information on Dr Maru's notes shown in the film.
http://karenisyourfriend.tumblr.com/post/161953113597/dr-marus-notes-translated

Provided it is true (and why not?), it shows how much work went into the film. Although, that they didn't probably know the name of the language is weird.

Interesting.. It's important to note that this movie is based on comics, so it is not entirely historically accurate.

In addition as per WW comics, island of Themyscira was not really 100 % isolated from the rest of the world (Man's world) , Amazons did give refuge to many women from different eras, and in some stories they did "learn" more modern languages.

Similarly, the formula devised by Dr. Poison is not supposed to be in line with how different elements / chemicals were discovered in history.

Scientific / Historical / Linguistic accuracy is maintained whenever possible, but they are not adhering to it 100 %, there will be many deviations, in the name of "creative freedom" as it is based on comic books.

However, the fact that they did put some real effort into that (to maintain authenticity) is commendable.

Last edited:
DFCKL_cXUAACr4-.jpg:large

Could we see Lois Lane in Wonder Woman 2 ?

Haha OMG MOS2?

What if it had been a German soldier that Diana had found on the beach and he had found plans by the British to destroy Berlin with a deadly weapon? It would have been a bold move.
But how would the movie have played to international audiences, and specifically to English speaking audiences, such as the United States and United Kingdom?

What if it had been a German soldier that Diana had found on the beach and he had found plans by the British to destroy Berlin with a deadly weapon? It would have been a bold move.
But how would the movie have played to international audiences, and specifically to English speaking audiences, such as the United States and United Kingdom?

That would have been a far more interesting movie. And one that wouldn't require Ares in the slightest OR would give way more weight to Ares coercing her.

It would have been a more counter-intuitive choice, but I don't think it would have worked or been a good idea.

As I understand it, historians differ on who was mostly responsible for starting the great war, but Germany being primarily responsible has been the dominant thesis for a long time, or Germany and Austria-Hungary. That idea has been called into question more recently, with other ideas being proposed, such as more of a shared responsibility, and so on. (Though I think the Germany/Austria-Hungary idea is still quite widespread.)

That lines up with audience expectations for the most part, exacerbated by WWII movies, in which the Germans are the bad guy.

Undermining those expectations is the whole idea of the movie's main arc: Diana starts with a clear expectation of who the bad guy is, which lines up with audience expectations, but that idea evaporates gradually and we end up with the concept of shared responsibility. All sides in the war are partially responsible.

If the movie started with the counter-intuitive idea, that sort of shared journey on the part of the main character and the audience would not have been possible.

OR would give way more weight to Ares coercing her.

In what sense? Ares doesn't argue that the Germans are evil, but rather that all sides in the conflict are equally worthy of contempt. I don't think the question of who is bombing whom would really have changed his argument at all.

Last edited:
In what sense? Ares doesn't argue that the Germans are evil, but rather that all sides in the conflict are equally worthy of contempt.

Well, for one it provides more story potential on how to make Trevor an honorable gent even though his aim is contemptible. "both good and bad"
It challenges her decision.

Well, for one it provides more story potential on how to make Trevor an honorable gent even though his aim is contemptible. "both good and bad"
It challenges her decision.

Ah ok, in Osiris' post, he suggests that the character in Steve's role would be German, so I was just thinking everything would be inverted.

Hahaha no, Patty is not doing Man of Steel 2. However if she was, I'd want her to be in charge of picking Wonder Woman 2's director.

... If not Patty, who would you like to see direct WW2?

Katheryn Bigelow? :oldrazz:

Does anyone have any good pic of Diana in her modern regular clothes? I've tried looking on Google but all that comes up are her standard costume or the silver backless dress.
All of her are magnificent especially what she wears strutting through the museum in Paris.

Theron was a guest on The Howard Stern Show on Wednesday, and the topic of Monster and Patty Jenkins came up. Stern mistakenly thought that Theron reteamed with Jenkins for Wonder Woman, and that’s when she revealed that she turned down a role in the superhero movie.

“No, I’m not in Wonder Woman,” Theron said, and revealed that Patty Jenkins did ask her to be a part of it. “We’re friends. I think the world of her. We have a mutual respect for each other. She did come to me, and at the time I was
either working on something or I don’t know. There was a reason I couldn’t do it.”

http://batman-news.com/2017/07/20/charlize-theron-turned-down-wonder-woman/

Stern is always misinformed, but I love him for it.

Who would she have played? Hippolyta? Or Antiope?

*cough* On the matter of responsibility for WWI. . . about the only thing that is definitely Germany's fault is launching an attack against France. The state of war with Russia was definitely Austria's fault, as the whole mess in the Balkans was the latest manifestation of long-running Austria vs Russia rivalry for control. The only way Germany could have gotten out of that would be outright betraying Austria.

The thing is, Germany attacked France for damn good reason: because France was allied with Russia. Once Germany was at war with Russia, the only way they *wouldn't* be at war with France is if *France* betrayed their ally partner. Otherwise, as soon as hope of peace between Austria and Russia died, Germany was stuck with a two front war. Aside from attacking France and taking them out of the war rapidly, the only options were surrender or defeat.

Overall, I have a hard time placing moral culpability on a country for a war, when the only way to avoid the war would involve somebody betraying their promises. If it'd be morally wrong for France to leave Russia hanging out to dry, then its also morally wrong to expect Germany to leave Austria hanging out to dry. Especially when it wouldn't necessarily save them ( just because they tell Russia "we don't want to fight you", doesn't mean Russia wouldn't 'hold them to their treaty obligations' so to speak ).

Does anyone have any good pic of Diana in her modern regular clothes? I've tried looking on Google but all that comes up are her standard costume or the silver backless dress.
All of her are magnificent especially what she wears strutting through the museum in Paris.

Try image googling "gal gadot wonder woman louvre"

I had a few shots come up.

Overall, I have a hard time placing moral culpability on a country for a war, when the only way to avoid the war would involve somebody betraying their promises.

The movie ends up supporting the idea of shared responsibility that you describe.

(That's a little different than the idea that no one has moral culpability for it, which I think would be a bit of an absurd conclusion.)

But it serves the movie's story to start with the idea of a bad guy being primarily responsible, so that it can later shift to the idea that everyone involved is partially responsible.

Even at the beginning, the "bad guy" isn't really Germany so much as an extremist faction led by Ludendorff. But anyway.

Last edited:
I said it in the other thread, that in light of today's news, at this point I think Wonder Woman should be the lead character in the DCEU now that there are rumours of Ben Affleck leaving the role of Batman. Not only is Gal's the most successful and critically praised movie, but she is also the most enthusiastic performer and the one who seems to do the best publicity for the whole franchise.

I don't know if they'll be replacing Affleck soon, but I think they should certainly bump up WW's role for the future so that she is the one anchoring everything rather than Batman.

Wonder Woman is the golden girl of the DCEU so they should capitalise on her popularity.

The movie ends up supporting the idea of shared responsibility that you describe...

Steve sums if up pretty well when he says that he wishes he could tell Diana that there was just one bad guy to blame. That they all were in the end.

I said it in the other thread, that in light of today's news, at this point I think Wonder Woman should be the lead character in the DCEU now that there are rumours of Ben Affleck leaving the role of Batman. Not only is Gal's the most successful and critically praised movie, but she is also the most enthusiastic performer and the one who seems to do the best publicity for the whole franchise.

I don't know if they'll be replacing Affleck soon, but I think they should certainly bump up WW's role for the future so that she is the one anchoring everything rather than Batman.

Wonder Woman is the golden girl of the DCEU so they should capitalise on her popularity.

I hope Affleck doesn't leave the role, but if this becomes clear, then they really should move to make WW the center of the DCEU. Her and then Superman.

Amy in WW2 sounds nice :woot:.

I can imagine some interesting reasons for Lois having a role in the WW sequel.

That would mean that they would be bringing the character into the modern day period, which I still think is most likely, in spite of rumors to the contrary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"