The Boys Amazon's The Boys General Discussion Thread

tumblr_pvfs4kZlex1rrkahjo2_540.gif

Just finished, loved the entire show. Had kinda' hoped to see a full revelation and patch up between Hughie & ANnie though, hopefully we'll get that in Season 2, because there will be a damned season 2 - there's just gotta' be. Edit: Season 2 already given the green light. I've just researched. Yay!

I was thinking in those final few scenes however that
Teddy (Madelyn's baby) was going to turn out, somehow, to be the lovechild of John/Homelander and Becca; I know that birth was eight years ago, but there could have been some cryogenics or something involved. I always thought there was more to her child, which there may yet still be.

I feel also that Black Noir was kinda' wasted. I don't know much about him anyway, but he was just kinda' there - never actually added anything to the show. It's not as if his presence was ever felt.

The ending this season definitely threw me for a loop. Looks like they are already veering off in a much different direction from the comics.

If someone wouldn’t mind (within spoiler tags - let’s play it safe), how different is the show from the comics? What are the changes?

If someone wouldn’t mind (within spoiler tags - let’s play it safe), how different is the show from the comics? What are the changes?

Well, one big example I've seen is in episode 1.

Apparently in the comic, Annie was gang raped by four members of the 7, a bit of a difference than what The Deep did

Just finished, I wouldn’t say it’s the best show based on a comic but I did really enjoy it.

Somebody else already said it, but I think this is the best 'loose' adaptation of a comic series I've ever seen. I had reservations early on when a six-foot American was cast as Hughie, but Jack Quaid was great, as was everyone else. I really can't wait to see where they go on season 2. If I had to make one criticism it would be Butcher's accent. You get used to it, but I hope they've got a voice coach or at least a couple of Cockneys on set to keep Urban right.

Finished it.

Well, so much for Elisabeth Shue. I loved episode 6 with all the appearances. Haley Joel Osment is an astounding choice for Mezmer, a washed up child actor.

I just love how the Seven are characters as much as the Boys. The Deep and A-Train are horrible people, but I actually kind of like their stories, and seem to have the potential to be better. The Deep's story wouldn't be as hilarious if they went full Ennis.

And the changes made in the finale are fascinating. I think it is safe to say that the comics are being tossed out, for the most part. Based on how they have described the process of creating the super terrorists, I doubt they will go along with a certain part of the comic. I am deeply curious how the revelation about his wife will change Butcher.

I wonder if Homelander is going to say that Stormfront, confirmed for season 2, is a very fine person.

With Jim Beaver showing up, I kind of want an appearance from Jensen Ackles. I think he could have a fun appearance on the show.

Surpised that they've diverged from the comics the way they did but at least it wasn't Preacher-level.

I just hope that they go to Russia though

Is this good? It seemed kinda fun from the trailers.
It is. I didn't really have any intention of watching it (I've been let down by Doom Patrol, Umbrella Academy, the Netflix Marvel shows, Preacher). Out of boredom, I just watched the first episode to check it out. Finished the first season in less than 48 hours.

It's an irreverent take on the central themes of Watchmen and does it very well.

It is. I didn't really have any intention of watching it (I've been let down by Doom Patrol, Umbrella Academy, the Netflix Marvel shows, Preacher). Out of boredom, I just watched the first episode to check it out. Finished the first season in less than 48 hours.

It's an irreverent take on the central themes of Watchmen and does it very well.
Nice. I've never read anything of The Boys before, so I won't know anything about it in terms of what's what. But I'll be excited to check it out at some point, even though I don't have Amazon Prime at the moment. :cool::up:

For some reason I've completely missed out on this thread. Now when I've read up on it, this really have made me curious. I was completely unaware of the source material, but from what I've read here, this seems to be a rather good adaption from the comics?

The Watchmen movie (which seems to be something you could somewhat compare this to despite some main differences, from what I've understood) didn't live up to the source material for me, although I kinda liked a few aspects of it.

That's why I'm curious on this one. Well, I'll give it some episodes and will come back for thoughts about it.

No, this is not a good adaptation of the comics. Which is quite frankly, a good thing. It is better than the source material, pretty much tossing out a ton of Ennis' worst tendancies.

Well, that sounds even better. I actually read that some of you here thought this TV-show was better than the comics, since it steered away from stuff that sounded quite awful.

I should have phrased myself better there.

Note this contains spoilers from the show and later in the comics:
Well Hughie is American now. Starts out as an AV salesman and a total fanboy for superheroes before what happens to him.

Also, other than Female, none of the other members get superpowers. Some of the characters have been removed or their roles changed around. Teenage Kix are mentioned by not really seen.

Butcher's dog terror has also been removed. Their old boss, Mallory, has also been changed from a man to a woman.

They don't really get into why Mother's Milk is called Mother's Milk other than that's his real name.

Also they totally changed Butcher's backstory. At the end of season 1 we find out that his missing wife is actually alive. She gave birth to a baby who appears to be Homelander's son or at the very least seems to be his son and have similar powers.

In the comics, she was raped by Black Noir, who was actually an evil psychotic clone of Homelander. He raped Butcher's wife while they were on their honeymoon. Butcher's wife was impregnated and the fetus basically killed her to get out and then Butcher beat it to death after it was born. The photos of the incident are apparently what triggered Homelander to start going over the deep end. He thought he had developed an psychotic split personality.

Butcher's superpowered bulldog, Terror, was also removed from the show.

Note this contains spoilers from the show and later in the comics:
Well Hughie is American now. Starts out as an AV salesman and a total fanboy for superheroes before what happens to him.

Also, other than Female, none of the other members get superpowers. Some of the characters have been removed or their roles changed around. Teenage Kix are mentioned by not really seen.

Butcher's dog terror has also been removed. Their old boss, Mallory, has also been changed from a man to a woman.

They don't really get into why Mother's Milk is called Mother's Milk other than that's his real name.

Also they totally changed Butcher's backstory. At the end of season 1 we find out that his missing wife is actually alive. She gave birth to a baby who appears to be Homelander's son or at the very least seems to be his son and have similar powers.

In the comics, she was raped by Black Noir, who was actually an evil psychotic clone of Homelander. He raped Butcher's wife while they were on their honeymoon. Butcher's wife was impregnated and the fetus basically killed her to get out and then Butcher beat it to death after it was born. The photos of the incident are apparently what triggered Homelander to start going over the deep end. He thought he had developed an psychotic split personality.

Butcher's superpowered bulldog, Terror, was also removed from the show.
Appreciate this, thank you. :-) I think it's better ...
for The Boys to just be ordinary folk, at least as far as the TV series is concerned. It gives the viewers (and characters) a sense of morality; they're just everyday people going up against - essentially, gods. They've gotta' rely on their skills, wits, and each other, rather than super powered abilities to take down said corruption.

I'm still holding out that Black Noir turns out to be who he is in the comics. Granted, they've changed so much in terms of that dynamic that there's little point to do it, but it would be a shame not to.

Well I'm two episodes in, and damn this is dragging me in. Karl Urban is hilarious, and so cool to see my old high school crush Elizabeth Shue again (that free pre-screening of Karate Kid, sigh..). I thought she was out of acting business, and now she's suddenly giving us a really interesting character.

I was kinda expecting first that the Wonder Woman-like character would take Starlight under her wings, and mentor/protect her, but that trope doesn't seem to happen which actually felt fresh. It'll be very interesting to learn more about these Supes characters.

Loved that they played good old Cherry Bomb by The Runaways at the end of second episode as a bonus.

Hell, I'll try not to binge watch this, but that feels hard..

I'm surprised people miss Butcher's dog terror from the comics. Do people really want to see Billy's dog rape people? :huh:

Reducing the amount of sexual violence from the comic was a good idea.

I'm surprised people miss Butcher's dog terror from the comics. Do people really want to see Billy's dog rape people? :huh:

Reducing the amount of sexual violence from the comic was a good idea.
Is it much worse than some of the terrible things that the show has depicted?

I'm still holding out that Black Noir turns out to be who he is in the comics. Granted, they've changed so much in terms of that dynamic that there's little point to do it, but it would be a shame not to.
I'm still holding out for a proper MM reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"