Justice League Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 1

tumblr_p1cvvwJEcE1uvcgjlo1_540.gif

You know with the exception of having omitted the subject of the "engagement ring", I actually enjoyed Lois and Clark's scene together at the Kent Farm and thought that it hit a lot of the main emotional beats.

Plus, this was probably one of those rare instances where I thought the music that Elfman created for the film actually felt appropriate for the scene that it was accompanying.

Well that and I was actually glad that the rumors about them not having a kiss in the film was proven false since I think it was Anon or BN that mentioned on how they (or in BN's case, his source) didn't recall seeing a kiss between the two.

I'm not a hardcore shipper or anything like that but even I thought the notion of them not kissing was super weird upon reuniting with each other.

You could tell Adams was pretty bored this time around.

I just wish they would inject the next script with some witty lines. Lois always has a sharp wit which partly gives her her spark and edge over others. It seems to be missing in the DCEU. She has the determination Lois normally has but missing a bit of personality. (IMO of course.)

I just wish they would inject the next script with some witty lines. Lois always has a sharp wit which partly gives her her spark and edge over others. It seems to be missing in the DCEU. She has the determination Lois normally has but missing a bit of personality. (IMO of course.)

I disagree completely. Adams as Lois is fantastic and is written well, with the exception of Whedon's changes in JL, of course. Lois was witty and sharp in MoS with Hardy, Swanwick, Woodburn, Perry White, and Steve Lombard. In BvS, she's witty and sharp with "Jimmy," the warlord, Swanwick, Perry White, and Lex Luthor. She's also witty with Clark in the interview scene in MoS. As a lifelong fan of the character and someone has literally read or seen every piece of Lois Lane media, Amy Adams nails Lois Lane. She is the amalgamation of every Lois Lane that I've ever known and balances the strength, intelligence, vulnerability, and wit of the character beautifully.

But your favourite is not Amy right? Its Erica Durance? Why?

But your favourite is not Amy right? Its Erica Durance? Why?

I spent more time with Durance's Lois and got to see her grow and change over many years during a time that her character and myself were roughly the same age going through roughly the same things. Durance was playing Lois becoming Lois while Amy is playing her as matured into herself. To me, Amy's Lois feels like a believable and enjoyable evolution of the character I've loved. Still, it's the quality time spent with Durance's Lois that made the difference.

Agreed, Goyer, Terrio and Whedon all did a real number on poor lois, from "measuring d**ks" to "where do I tinkle" and ofcourse the now legendary "you smell good" line. Terrio turned her into a bit of a b***h in BvS in her opening scene with 'not Jimmy'.
Although I will give abit of credit to Goyer for the 'escape from black zero' sequence, which was just awesome.

I've enjoyed the TV portrayals of Lois better than their big screen counterparts. The television format might have something to do with that as it has plenty of allotted time to spend on certain aspects of the character and her relationship with Clark.

erica durance > amy > margot

if you gave amy a bit more energy/spunky/cheekiness and had more shots of clark linger while admiring her

$

Huh... Amy was born in Italy. How weird.

Huh... Amy was born in Italy. How weird.

Not really. It's actually quite common for military brats to be born overseas. Amy's father was stationed in Vicenza at the time of her birth.

I know I am going to get soooo much hate/attacks from saying this, but while I like Amy as an actress a lot, I still feel Lois still lacks a little spark. Lois is always seeking the truth in all situations. She seemed a little.... flat in Justice League, when she was given a bit more spark in BvS.

I know I annoy people a lot on this thread, especially Fallen Angel, who must hate me so intensely at this point. But I only rag on about it because Lois is pretty much my favorite female character ever.

I agree. I finally find why I didn't like Lois in that trilogy as much as I wanted to.

She's portrayed as a great reporter and I love that, but I feel like her skills were there more for expositions and plot purpose (knowing where Clark went and what he's done in MoS for instance) than it was to develop her as a character.

She didn't have any clear growth in the trilogy: she begins as a talented reporter and ends up as a talented reporter, who learnt about aliens and got engaged but we didn't see how it affected her, how it changed her as person.

We never knew why she wanted to become a journalist, what her motivations were, who her family was, what's her story besides her being a journalist. Which made it hard to emotionally connect with her.

In a lot of comics, she makes mistakes, can be sometimes mean/haughty, is not very organized etc. I wish we had see more of her messy, imperfect side of her (which could have given us great and funny moments). More mundane scenes with her would had been great. After 3 movies, I still don't know a lot about her.

Steve was a better lead imo, because his character helped the plot moved forward but we also got to know him as a person better.

Last edited:
She didn't have any clear growth in the trilogy: she begins as a talented reporter and ends up as a talented reporter, who learnt about aliens and got engaged but we didn't see how it affect her, how it changed her as person.

The whole arc for Lois has been about how the alien, Superman, changed her. Lois starts out as an ambitious reporter who will defy Perry White -- even face legal action -- to publish her alien savior story. But she changes when she meets Clark Kent. She decides not to print her follow up story, which is so out of character for Lois that Perry remarks on it. Lois goes from cynic to believer. From someone who can't wait to publish secrets to someone who will keep the biggest secret to protect what she believes in so dearly.

BvS builds on that arc. For Lois, BvS is about how she deals with her own powerlessness. Bruce, Lex, Clark, Keefe, and humanity as a whole are wrestling with existential questions. Lois is, too. What happened in Nairomi gives Lois nightmares and keeps her up at night not only because she no longer is certain that she should be an important part of Superman's life, but also because the warlord's words ring true: Ignorance is not innocence. Lois, therefore, has to find a way to past her existential crisis by using the pursuit of knowledge and truth to validate her passion (Superman) and her profession (journalism). Ultimately, by getting to the truth, Lois finds her way back to belief.

The death of Superman is a major blow for Lois in JL. I'm not fully on board with Whedon's changes, so it's difficult to track Lois's arc after BvS. But the throughline seems to be about Lois finding inspiration again. It's about her holding onto hope.

We never knew why she wanted to become a journalist, what her motivations were, who her family was, what's her story besides her being a journalist. Which made it hard to emotionally connect with her.

I'd love some more Lois backstory, but it's not necessarily out of the ordinary for cinematic Lois Lanes to be opaque. I think the only thing we know about Kidder's Lois is that she has a sister who lives the kind of ordinary life that Lois eschews. From what Adams's Lois says when she arrives in Ellesmere, journalism is her jam because she is addicted to adventure. She gets writer's block if she isn't wearing a flak jacket. If I compare Lois with Black Panther's Nakia, for example, I don't know much about her family, her background, or her reasons for supporting Wakandan outreach efforts in Africa and for the African diaspora. I didn't find it difficult to emotionally connect with either character.

In a lot of comics, she makes mistakes, can be sometimes mean/haughty, is not very organized etc. I wish we had see more of her messy, imperfect side of her (which could have given us great and funny moments). More mundane scenes with her would had been great. After 3 movies, I still don't know a lot about her.

I thought it was funny when Lois photographed the Kelex-type service robot in the scout ship. It was nice to see her at her apartment making a cup of tea before the FBI arrested her. Watching her drink scotch at the bar with Woodburn who told us Lois once called his blog "a creeping cancer of falsehoods" was pretty awesome. Lois is obviously protective of Jenny, which we can see when she warns her to just say no to Lombard's advances. The way Lois treats "Jimmy" and refers to her rapport with her usual photographer, Heron, fleshed out Lois more, in my opinion. Lois clearly seems to have a good relationship with the police. It was interesting to hear the lab tech (Jenet?) talk about Lois's idealism, even naivete, despite her reputation and career. There was also a sense of intimacy created when Lois returns to her and Clark's apartment after the incident in Nairomi. Later, we see her drinking wine and watching the news in casual clothes. Lois in Whedon's JL is very much messy and imperfect. I feel like I've seen a lot of Lois's sides, and I have a pretty good sense of who she is and how she feels. More would be great, though.

Steve was a better lead imo, because his character helped the plot moved forward but we also got to know him as a person better.

Really? I think all we really knew about him was the small cliche story about his dad and whatever insights one gets from observing his relationships with Etta and his team, which we get with Lois and her teams, so to speak, of Perry/Jenny/Steve or Hardy/Hamilton/Swanwick. And both he and Lois helped move the plot in their respective films. Lois, in my opinion, plays an even greater role in MoS and in BvS because the way she serves the plot is through her having an arc of her own that parallels the other main arcs in the film.

Last edited:
I agree. I finally find why I didn't like Loïs in that trilogy as much as I wanted to.

She's portrayed as a great reporter and I love that, but I feel like her skills were there more for expositions and plot purpose (knowing where Clark went and what he's done in MoS for instance) than it was to develop her as a character.

She didn't have any clear growth in the trilogy: she begins as a talented reporter and ends up as a talented reporter, who learnt about aliens and got engaged but we didn't see how it affect her, how it changed her as person.

QFT
Completely agree. Steve was so much better as a romantic lead and full fledged character. We even get a glimpse of where he came from due to the few lines about the watch and his fighting the war because of what his father taught him. Counter that with Lois in MoS... there really wasn't a definitive concrete reason given as to why she kept his secret. Most journalists wouldn't have done it but she kills the story and goes against the government and because of what? Clarks dad committed tornadocide? She thinks Clark is hott? We can make up scenarios in our head but WW provided with a full picture of who Steve was and his motivations... heck they even gave some interesting characteristics and motivations for the minor characters.

Everyone knows how I feel about Amy as Lois... but one thing I will say is her Lois does much more than Margot's (not counting JL).

Steve was so much better as a romantic lead and full fledged character. We even get a glimpse of where he came from due to the few lines about the watch and his fighting the war because of what his father taught him.

I don't disagree that lines like, "My father gave it to me. Went through hell 'n back with him. Now it's for me" and "My father told me once he said, 'If you see something wrong happening in the world you can either do nothing, or you can do something'" are nice to have and add depth to Steve's character. What I do disagree with is that such lines are the only way to flesh out a character or that it's even necessary. Romantic leads like Nakia in Black Panther didn't receive the same treatment, yet most feel like she was a strong romantic lead and developed character, because her outreach and spy work and the motivations/decisions she's given add the necessary depth. Likewise, through a combination of lines of dialogue and scenes of Lois at work without Clark present, we learn that she's a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter who believes in the power of truth to be a force for good so much that it pushes her to cross lines and put herself in danger. She is given relationships, motivations, choices, and an arc in the film; thus she is also given depth.

Counter that with Lois in MoS... there really wasn't a definitive concrete reason given as to why she kept his secret. Most journalists wouldn't have done it but she kills the story and goes against the government and because of what? Clarks dad committed tornadocide? She thinks Clark is hott? We can make up scenarios in our head but WW provided with a full picture of who Steve was and his motivations... heck they even gave some interesting characteristics and motivations for the minor characters.

It's really obvious. Clark asks Lois whether she thinks the world is ready to know about someone like him. Her decision to kill the story means that she thinks the world is not ready. The conversation Lois has with Perry soon afterward illuminates this even further "Whatever your reasons are for dropping it, I think you're doing the right thing. [...] Can you imagine how people on this planet would react if they knew there was someone like this out there?" She protects her source, because she is a good journalist, and because she can tell from Clark's history, which she traced in her investigation, and his story about letting his father die to protect the world from turning upside down at the discovery of alien life, that he's good person that she can trust to make the right decision for himself and for the world in the face of Zod's ultimatum. You only have to make things up if you're not paying attention.

This bump makes me wonder just how much longer Ms. Adams will play the role of Lois, considering there is no Superman sequel or any Superman related film in the works at this very moment.

This bump makes me wonder just how much longer Ms. Adams will play the role of Lois, considering there is no Superman sequel or any Superman related film in the works at this very moment.

Never say never. I had no clue they were going to suggest Joker movies, but they've been announced and gotten going pretty quickly (about a year). As for Amy, I know she had a lot of respect for Snyder and probably has been quite bummed about how often her scenes are cut because of studio meddling, but I also know she loves the character, the cast, and the mythos, so if they do get something in the works, I suspect she'd want to do it.

Even though there isn't anything official or even loud rumors of a sequel, I suspect it is something they hope to do at some point after they've developed a few other properties. Getting the right filmmakers will be very important, and that takes time too. I am impatient, yet happy to wait if it produces a good result.

Last edited:
Amy Adams was on Good Morning, America this morning, and she was asked about Lois. More specifically, her thoughts on a hypothetical Lois Lane movie. You can watch the whole thing or just that bit at about the 3:30 mark.

[YT]sgrqQ3qXWaE[/YT]

I'd love anything Lois focused, but I keep my expectations in check about solo projects, and obviously this one wasn't discussed as anything real. However, I do like seeing Amy excited about Lois.

I'd never considered a solo Lois film before, but I can see the appeal, particularly if Adams is involved. She was one of the best parts of MOS and BVS, it was gutting that she barely had a role in JL.

There's a number of ways to do a Lois Lane film. Could be a very grounded story having her looking into real issues, maybe set pre-Superman.
Or it could be giving a human perspective of a world with superheroes.
It could be a story about the media, the consolidation of news, perhaps have Morgan Edge taking over the Daily Planet and Lois battling his attempts to control her journalism.
Maybe I'm off my rocker, but she could even discover he's a servant of a greater inhuman power, Darkseid and the New Gods spin out of a Lois Lane solo, the way Kirby's Fourth World started in Jimmy Olsens comic.

Now I'm getting excited about something that almost certainly won't happen, I need stick to more rational hopes, like Adams getting a big role in MOS2.

I can see a Lois movie happening but there's no way it could be some action or set piece heavy thing. No way it could be anything other than a low budget thriller, crime or mystery/drama.

Yeah I'm sorry but a Lois Lane movie would flop hard. It's like saying, hey let's make a movie about Alfred. People want the superheroes up on the big screen not side characters dealing with mundane crap. They are side characters for a reason. As a limited run miniseries or show on TV absolutely, go hard but not a movie. Imagine a Lois Lane movie where there is no Superman?. Why?. Lois Lane is a good character but kinda boring without Big Blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"