Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43316213/ns/today-books/

On the contrary, the reasoning for ending the marriage post-Flashpoint is quite strong.

TBH most of the concepts DC introduced in the 90s were iffy, but it looks like they're undoing past mistakes and phasing this one out.

You have to be referring to this one paragraph of the article:

"[The marriage] made for a very nice story, but it eliminated an important part of the Superman mythos: the struggle between the two halves of Superman — his publicly known face, admired by millions, and his human side, meek and emotionally vulnerable,"

How so? Explain yourself.

Busiek said. "There's some value to be had in exploring their married life, but I'm not sure that's something that couldn't be gotten from exploring some other hero's married life, and I don't think it outweighs the value of that great dichotomy that was always at the heart of Superman, the idea of Superman as the symbol of adulthood and power, and Clark as the inner, less-respected adolescent self-image. That made Superman appeal to younger readers for decades, and made a very strong character engine.

So in other words, I guess, he thinks Clark is better off single because he represents "adolescent self-image".

Riiiight. OK. Well, I stand by what I said earlier about the married life being perfectly reasonable and compatible with Clark's duel identities.

You know, going by Busiek's logic, Clark should never be employed at the Daily Planet, either. Because kids can't relate to working as a reporter.

This:

"Everyone’s in agreement that the marriage and the emphasis on soap opera no longer seems to be working as well in the current market as it once did," the proposal stated.

Busiek said the marriage also makes dramatic stories a little harder to accomplish when writing Superman. "It's harder for Clark to be in a bind at work if he's got someone there covering for him. And of course, it's harder to do stories where he explores the idea of romance, or of finding a place to belong that isn't necessarily with Lois. It makes him feel less like an outsider, more like a homebody," he said. "Which is nice for those of us who like those things in our own lives, but it's not as dramatic. And while there's drama in marriage, it's not always easy to bring that kind of drama to the kind of sweeping action-adventure story that's usually Superman's wheelhouse.

"None of this is to say those challenges are insurmountable," Busiek added. "I wrote a married Superman and had very little difficulty with it. But the one pre-marriage story I wrote felt even sharper, livelier in the Clark/Lois relationship. It can definitely work either way, but I think there's more immediate juice in having their relationship unresolved, more competitive and subject to change."

Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Millar and many others at DC are on the same page.

In what way is it not working, is what I'd like to know. He has Lois covering for him at work. So what? And how does being married make him way less of an outsider? He grew up on a farm and now lives in a big city. He's still an outsider.

The biggest appeal doesn't come from Clark the reporter's personal drama. As a matter of fact, he's meant to try to blend in with humanity while using that identity. That's always been the case. As Clark, he's supposed to be a great reporter, but ultimately, another face in the crowd.

I'm less interested in the editor griping him out, and far more interested in what he's doing as Superman.

What they're saying is more applicable to Spider-Man than anything.

Last edited:
God I hope not...I mean I'm not saying Lois has to be a chaste, pure, angel before meeting Superman, but I don't want her to have slept with every man under the sun, before finding Superman either. There has to be a balance, is what I'm saying, lol.

I don't care much if Lois sleeps around if she's single, so long as it's consistent with her character.

I prefer an interpretation of Lois as a young out of school reporter who's worked hard all her life to get her job.... than an older cougar type that has slept around all over Metropolis lining up with Millar's prostitute analogy.

BUT then again, if they eliminate the marriage and it really isn't a big deal to me whether Lois is loose or not.

If she isn't Superman's soulmate, she can sleep with everyone and everything.. like Madonna.

But I agree with Millar that it looks stupid if Superman is tied down with 'Mary Magdelene.' I'm skeptical the formal relationship or marriage will make it into the film, I guess that's the one upside of going with an older actress approaching 40 for Lois in this franchise.

How does Lois tie Superman down? Is there rope or cable strong enough to do that?

Ridiculous biblical analogies aside, how does marriage "tie" Superman down? Especially if it's marriage to Lois.

They work together in the same establishment, which means they have a lot of time to interact whereas most couples are physically separated during the working hours of the day.

And on top of that, single or taken, Clark has shown himself capable of maintaining a civilian life without it impeding on his duties as Superman.

I agree with you.

I disagree with Millar. There's Daily Planet Clark who's a facade, Superman who is also not the true person, and the real Clark we see with his parents and people who know who he is.

I also think that Clark shouldnt be too much of a loser, because the whole thing comes off as awkward and because i just cant see Lois ever falling in love with a doofus.

I agree that Clark shouldn't be a loser.

You know, going by Busiek's logic, Clark should never be employed at the Daily Planet, either. Because kids can't relate to working as a reporter.
I dont think its about relatability, but story potential. If they wanted the fans to relate to Superman they'd make him like Superboy Prime, but with a neckbeard. :awesome:
I agree that Clark shouldn't be a loser.
For once we agree! :woot:

I seriously hope he is joking. If not, that is among the stupidest quotes I've ever read from an accomplished and talented writer (Red Son FTW).

No comment, I had to stop reading at "he tries to love Lois but he fails because she is the wrong species. :doh: Ok so Superman is Kryptonian, but Clark isn't?:dry:

No comment, I had to stop reading at "he tries to love Lois but he fails because she is the wrong species. :doh: Ok so Superman is Kryptonian, but Clark isn't?:dry:

Yeah, it'd be cool to someday ask Millar what the hell was going through his head when he said that.

I was going to say "Millar gtfo of Superman" but then i remembered that he wrote Red Son. I think that a lot of ideas came from Morrison when they were pitching a new Superman book to DC. In fact i know for a fact that RS' ending was Morrison's idea and Millar asked him if he could use it.

In the Silver Age comics and Smallville, she's slept around with everyone.

louis-lane-00-29.jpg

No offense, but wasn't that the same era where Lois was more attracted to Superman and Clark was the disguise; aka Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder era. The only modern Lois who I can see as sorta skanky is the one on Smallville who bounded from AC-->Oliver-->Grant Gabriel-->Clark; it was the Grant Gabriel one that solidified her on that list.

No offense, but wasn't that the same era where Lois was more attracted to Superman and Clark was the disguise; aka Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder era. The only modern Lois who I can see as sorta skanky is the one on Smallville who bounded from AC-->Oliver-->Grant Gabriel-->Clark; it was the Grant Gabriel one that solidified her on that list.

here it looks as if she is bounding from Oliver to AC to Bruce...

Well, getting back to the sanity in this thread, I still can't wait to see what Amy has in stored for her portrayal as Lois. I really think that she has more than what's required to give a memorable performance for the iconic role.

So far, I haven't really seen a version of Lois on the films that I had rooted for, so I'm hoping that Amy will break the bad trend.

Regardless of what others say, Lois Lane for me will ALWAYS be Superman's primary Love interest/partner in life, and I hope to see that relationship portrayed faithfully in all of Cavil's superman films with Amy.

I'm pretty sure we will. Goyer and Nolan's idea for the story was concieved way before all this relaunch nonsense, as was Snyder's casting of Amy Adams. I'd be very surprised if she's not the love interest in this film.

I'm pretty sure we will. Goyer and Nolan's idea for the story was concieved way before all this relaunch nonsense, as was Snyder's casting of Amy Adams. I'd be very surprised if she's not the love interest in this film.

How are we sure they didn't sit down months ago and plan all of this together to where it would coincide???

How are we sure they didn't sit down months ago and plan all of this together to where it would coincide???

I suppose we can't be sure. I just don't think Nolan/Goyer or even Snyder would have had any hand in this utter cock up.

DC usually plans this stuff several months, sometimes YEARS ahead according to Dan DiDio.

Infinite Crisis was mapped out 2 years before it actually happened.

I suppose we can't be sure. I just don't think Nolan/Goyer or even Snyder would have had any hand in this utter cock up.

Maybe Nolan, Goyer and Snyder didn't have any choice in the matter seeing as how they are working for WB

The creation of DC:E is the gamechanger. Now there is a direct connection between the comics and other mediums, hence why Geoff Johns has such a big role in the Green Lantern film.

Its a wonder why they didnt have DC:E there from the start but they would give the franchise to anyone willing to try. Just read what Kevin Smith has to say about that producer that wanted a Superman movie where he'd fight a giant spider, with no cape or flight. Then Burton was about to make Super Edward Scissorhands, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"