Ant-Man Casting Thread

so umm if douglas is playing pym doesn't that not kill but really hurt the idea of janet being the same age as the rest of the avengers

though it could be a case of art imitating life

Yeah, pass.

Or it could be like we're speculating: Scott's the protagonist, "steals" from Pym to get money for his daughter, and Pym acts as antagonist for most of the movie until the final act where he and Pym team up, Ant-Man and… well, maybe Giant-Man?

I don't think Pym's going to be an outright villain.

I don't like the fact that Pym is so old in the MCU. I don't ever see him being part of the Avengers now in any of his identities.

I could see maybe Pym being a part of the Avengers behind the scenes. I'm hoping Rudd/Scott will be a part of the Avengers by the third installment. At this point, I just want to see Rudd/RDj and Ruffalo snarking it up science-style.

If Pym puts the moves on Pepper Potts, she could shoot him again. Of course, he'll probably hire Viggo Mortensen to kill her off.

Perhaps the MCU connection now is that Pym once worked for Stark Industries in it's early days.

I'm intrigued by this idea, it seemed pretty inevitable with everything that's been said about this movie.

Lang will be the MCUs "main" AntMan with Douglas passing the mantle and maybe acting as a pseudo villain.

Could be interesting

Perhaps the MCU connection now is that Pym once worked for Stark Industries in it's early days.

Or with SHIELD and Howard Stark.

Maybe there can still be a connection to Ultrons roots

Or with SHIELD and Howard Stark.

Maybe there can still be a connection to Ultrons roots

While I don't see Pym as an actual Avenger, Michael Douglas is too big of a name for Joss Whedon to pass up so perhaps Pym serves in the Eric Selvig role in Avengers 2 in that he becomes an ally of the Avengers using his science and knowledge instead of a super powered suit.

While I don't see Pym as an actual Avenger, Michael Douglas is too big of a name for Joss Whedon to pass up so perhaps Pym serves in the Eric Selvig role in Avengers 2 in that he becomes an ally of the Avengers using his science and knowledge instead of a super powered suit.

Well, he's as big a name as Ben Kingsley. They didn't use Kingsley as the actual villain of the piece but he was reduced to a wimpy role. Pym might not even survive the Ant-Man movie (if he does end up as the villain and does battle with Scott Lang), so he might be dead by the time Whedon decides to add Ant-Man to the roster in any way.

Well, he's as big a name as Ben Kingsley. They didn't use Kingsley as the actual villain of the piece but he was reduced to a wimpy role. Pym might not even survive the Ant-Man movie (if he does end up as the villain and does battle with Scott Lang), so he might be dead by the time Whedon decides to add Ant-Man to the roster in any way.

True. I think it will be more of a "To Steal an Ant Man Story" more than anything though.

Or it could be like we're speculating: Scott's the protagonist, "steals" from Pym to get money for his daughter, and Pym acts as antagonist for most of the movie until the final act where he and Pym team up, Ant-Man and… well, maybe Giant-Man?

I don't think Pym's going to be an outright villain.

I believe this is the route that they take since it's been hinted at for a long time.

Even if Pym isn't the villain, I can see that he might not survive the events of Ant-Man if he and Lang team up. Pym might end up dying valiantly in the final battle and, as a last act of heroism, passes on the mantle to Lang, telling him that he is Ant-Man now, and to use the costume well and for noble means.

But with Douglas as Pym, I could easily see him having invented Ultron actually for evil means, and not just that the robot became corrupted. Not that they're supposedly going the Pym as creator route for Ultron, but if they were, I could see them doing it this way. Not that I like this at all.

I doubt Pym would be downgraded to a villain.

Maybe Lang sees him as a villain initially (and uses that as justification for stealing), but ultimately sees that Pym was a hero in his own time.

I'm just curious as to where Janet fits into this. I could see her being Pym's daughter and Lang's love interest.

I doubt Pym would be downgraded to a villain.

Maybe Lang sees him as a villain initially (and uses that as justification for stealing), but ultimately sees that Pym was a hero in his own time.

I'm just curious as to where Janet fits into this. I could see her being Pym's daughter and Lang's love interest.

Ugh. Take away Pym's importance in the MCU as Ultron's creator. Take away his status as founding member of the Avengers. Take away his love interest. Take away his age and heroic nature. This really seems like he's being systematically destroyed as a character.

He's not being destroyed, he's being reimagined for a new media.

So what are the theories to have Wasp as current timeline? Pym's daughter? Time travel? Or no Wasp in Current MCU.

Ugh. Take away Pym's importance in the MCU as Ultron's creator. Take away his status as founding member of the Avengers. Take away his love interest. Take away his age and heroic nature. This really seems like he's being systematically destroyed as a character.

That could be a little over dramatic.

I can see Wasp being an intern to Hank rather than his girlfriend.

So To Steal An Ant-Man is pretty much the base of the plot then?

It's truly the best way to go, but as for casting someone so old as Pym, IDK.

Ant-Man is by no means iconic. General audiences don't have a clue about him so it's pretty much a blank slate. Stan Lee felt he was a character that was a missed opportunity. I'm all for seeing what Edgar Wright brings to the table. Maybe he can reinvigorate the mythology. I'll just have to throw all my preconceived notions out the window at this point.

So To Steal An Ant-Man is pretty much the base of the plot then?

It's truly the best way to go, but as for casting someone so old as Pym, IDK.

They could've still done To Steal an Ant-Man with a younger actor for Pym. It still would've worked, and didn't have to be set in the 60s.

Is Douglas even going to survive until the end of filming? He's not exactly in the best of health these days.

They could've still done To Steal an Ant-Man with a younger actor for Pym. It still would've worked, and didn't have to be set in the 60s.

Is Douglas even going to survive until the end of filming? He's not exactly in the best of health these days.

Who said it's going to be in the 60's?

It works well to flesh out the MCU a bit more, especially by exploring its Cold War Era. Maybe AI tech was being researched then by Pym and SHIELD or AIM or Stark or whoever and sets seeds.

Following AoU, Ant-Man coming out a few months later could show Michael Douglas as an embittered former hero, coming to grips with the consequences of his science. When he sees robberies being committed with his Pym Particles, he decides "no more" and sets out to end it. He finds Lang and sees heroism in him, ultimately creating a nice story of redemption and passing the torch.

It could be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"