Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on deviantART, it was made by IBGraham/Ian Graham.
korra_painting_1_by_ibgraham-d5c7rw9.jpg

Very nice spot on piece of minimalist Korra art.

I'm surprised there aren't more/any Youtube videos of fan-films for the show? Seems like it would be a catchy thing to do and garner a lot of interest.

Found this on deviantART, Avatar The legend of Korra FanArt by ~DarshaBezarius.
avatar_the_legend_of_korra_by_darshabezarius-d5co21o.jpg

I don't think anyone wants a live action movie after the debacle that was TLA.

I don't trust Hollywood to make an Avatar movie anymore. Haven't since I heard the casting for TLA. The casting suggestions in this thread give me small hope even about the fans, frankly.

Yeah, animated movie and I wouldn't mind seeing a live-action tv series even before a live-action film.

I don't normally say things like this, but there's nothing good in "Avatar" that live-action would make better.

Actually, i think that an adaptation of legend of Korra could improve some parts of the story, maybe foreshadowing some things more. But right now i don't think they should think about that, THe Last Airbender's negative reception is still fresh.

It's not just negative reception with TLA. It's the wrong-headed approach to it from the get go. "I have a brilliant idea, let's film 90% of this movie in Philadelphia after we hire a guy who hasn't had a hit film since Unbreakable who doesn't shoot anywhere but Philly."

The worst is how badly into white washing and cultural appropration they went. How the hell are you going to make a movie of a cartoon full of clearly Asian characters in an obviously Asian world and not have any Asians in the movie? Not even significant supporting characters. Every principle a.d supporting hero was white as could be and the villains were brown. Brown! Holy ****!

Sorry for the rant. It's just outrageous. And frankly, I haven't seen anything in Korra that makes me think these characters aren't still Asian.

They simply can't make films of this world until Hollywood gets its head out of its collective ass when it comes to casting. The approach that should be taken should be looking to Fant-Asia and wuxia cinema. Sammo Hung would still be an amazing Uncle Iroh.

I agree with the Uncle Iroh choice as it was such a clear casting call since Mako passed. I mean they really could have used some of the voice cast since they are seasoned actors.

However, Indians are Asian lol, but I get what you were saying. The film was white washed, but it's weird because there were asian actors in the film, just not the ones you would immediately think of lol.

I agree with the Uncle Iroh choice as it was such a clear casting call since Mako passed. I mean they really could have used some of the voice cast since they are seasoned actors.

However, Indians are Asian lol, but I get what you were saying. The film was white washed, but it's weird because there were asian actors in the film, just not the ones you would immediately think of lol.

I should have specified East Asian. That's another thing, the bad guys were all Indian and Persian actors... the only prominent Asian in the film and they were the dark skinned bad guys.

I know the big barrier for strong leads culled from Hong Kong film would have been their abilities to speak English or minimize the accent. However, I don't believe for a mjnute there weren't Asian American actors that fit the bill. It says a ton about M Night's mindset and the casting director's mindset that they cast the way they did. I've never, in my life, seen such a blatant case of being esse tially blind to the idea that non-white people can be salvific heroes.

I think each nation being a different race was a good idea, it was just executed poorly.

I would've liked to see each nation represented by a specific ethnicity somewhat like the cartoon.

Fire=Japanese, Korean, (Sun Warriors=Southeast Asian, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, Or South American Indians)
Water=Inuit, Eskimo, Native American
Earth=Chinese, Southeast Asian, Indian
Wind=Tibetan, Chinese, Indian, Tai, Cambodian

Something along those lines....no offense.

I feel like the Japanese influence on the Fire Nation is over played, they are much more Imperial era Chinese than fuedal Japan. You could probably narrow it down to a certain dynasty even. Earth Kingdom has a pronounced Manchurian/Qing dynasty influence especially in Ba Sing Se.

I would've liked to see each nation represented by a specific ethnicity somewhat like the cartoon.

Fire=Japanese, Korean, (Sun Warriors=Southeast Asian, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, Or South American Indians)
Water=Inuit, Eskimo, Native American
Earth=Chinese, Southeast Asian, Indian
Wind=Tibetan, Chinese, Indian, Tai, Cambodian

Something along those lines....no offense.
So no Caucasians anywhere. No wonder Hollywood couldn't pull it off. Sure, M.Night didn't help, but even if they had a writer/director with his head comfortably away from his ass, there would still be this hurdle that constantly trips up the studios.

Caucasians just don't populate that universe.
Exactly, and you would not believe how insurmountable an issue that is for Hollywood.

If they really wanted to, I'd say they might be able to pass the Air Nomads off as white, but the fact that they're the most culturally different from, well, the general audience would probably just cancel that out anyway.

Which is why it should be left alone. I'd only give Hong Kong the benefit of the doubt, but I'm happy with the series as it is. I really wouldn't want them to make the same mistake with Korra. What could live action possibly bring to the table to improve upon or add to the world of Avatar?

So true, live action really couldn't do anything to progress the franchise judging by what we have seen already from TLA and the hurdles of having a non-white cast. The cartoon series has done an amazing job already.

However, I have seen plenty of hollywood movies where there are virtually no if not a minimal number of white actors. Slumdog Millionaire comes to mine, other all black films, etc. etc. If Hollywood, the director, and producers really wanted a non-white cast true to the cartoon and not made up of predominately indians and middle-easterns than I'm sure they could.

Caucasians just don't populate that universe.

I know, right? Airbenders and some Earthbenders have fair skin, but you never see a blonde or--le gasp-- a redhead. Hollywood may have an issue with that.

I know, right? Airbenders and some Earthbenders have fair skin, but you never see a blonde or--le gasp-- a redhead. Hollywood may have an issue with that.

Honestly, even if there were blonde or red haired people in Avatar, logic wouod suggest they are Turkic rather than European.

I think people forget that East Asians, especially northerners, can be very fair skinned.

Either way when it comes to casting real life people not everyone is going to be happy. Either they wont be asian, or they wont have the same eye color that the character has. Something is going to be changed.

To me, as long as they show a wide range of diversity I would be fine with them casting some of the characters as caucasion, african, chinese, etc.. Just like with Korra I would need an actress who has some color to her. Her skin color and eye color already make it hard to cast an asian in the role unless they tan up and wear some contacts.

But that is problem with a lot of shows that try to depict characters as chinese/japanese/whatever since like Sailor Moon, you have characters with blonde hair and blue eyes, blue hair, blah blah blah. If I were to ever make a live action SM, Rei and maybe Ami would probably be the only actual japanese characters out of the cast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back