Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korra has been trained since she was around 5 to be the Avatar. She has no real personal life until she came to Republic city. She IS the avatar.. that is all she really knows at this point and it has just been taken away from her. If she was thinking of suicide, and I mean thinking because she obviously didn't jump, then she was probably thinking it would be better for her to die right there and let the next avatar be born then wait 100 years for the next. She was dangling so close to the edge that her tears were falling into the ocean rather then the snow at her feet.

I personally don't think she was thinking about it, she is so brash I think if that were the case she would have made the leap and Aang would have saved her then. Yet I understand where people are coming from in thinking of this as a possibility.

In either case I am sure Mike or Brian will chime in on the issue when one of the fans eventually ask them.

I could see contemplating suicide. My point is that I don't feel that is how they played it at all. I haven't see it since it aired, but I don't remember any indication that Korra was going to leap off. Though even if she did, she now had airbending.

Season 2 was planned later on, probably halfway through what was believed to be the one and only season. You have to remember this sort of show takes years to produce and they were on tight budgets, deadlines and more than likely had other projects to work on. When we got the news of both seasons the creators REPEATEDLY stated that the two seasons were created independently from one another because of this sudden pick up.

As for the Amon anger, upon reflection is just a lot of us fans raging that "My idea was WAY better" as if we wrote the show. Its just a case of fandom wanting things to go their way not unlike shipping. In fact I daresay Amon's identity was an even bigger issue than shipping. We all had our theories, 2nd/3rd guesses and hopes. But that wasn't the story Mike and Bryan wrote.

Amon is the brother of Tarlokk, Sons of Yakone the Bloodbender. A character that we didn't expect. But to say he was underwhelming just because he wasn't who you wanted him to be is pretty much pointless. As a villain he was constant in the season, he was always there whether in person or a the aura of fear he radiated, far more so than Ozai. He was unfortunate to once again have to deal with a type of bending that he probably isn't familiar with at all, which was the challenge of the entire Fire Nation in ATLA. That's right, Airbending.

So the fandom's imagination took a life of its own. It happens. Way too often if you ask me. But does that diminish the show? No. There were a lot of restraints, both in terms of production and censors but I think Mike and Bryan did they're very best to deliver a story worthy of the world of Avatar. Remember, this show is still their baby and thus far they've done all they can to respect the wishes of the fans.

I'll give my rating for the entire season here

9/10

Why 9? Because it was short. Everyone's going to have opinions on the matter. Part of being a fandom, but if you are writing off the mainly because you didn't like the reveal is pretty damn petty.

Love the reveal. Not sure about the execution however. It was "I am your father", followed by 10 minutes of exposition.

If this is how they ended season 1 can't wait for season 2 maybe they will actually have a conclusion for the whole benders vs. non bender conflict

I think season 2 will be based around seeing an Avatar truly at working being the Avatar.

Could be similar to whats being done in The Promise right now.

I think season 2 will be based around seeing an Avatar truly at working being the Avatar.

That would be nice as we never really got to see that with Aang. I hope she explores the world and isn't just in one city.

that would be pretty neat but it would not end the conflict between benders and non benders. I just can't wait until they get done with Korra's story and they go on to AVATAR VS. TERMINATOR xp.

Maybe we get to see Korra in her entirely lifespan? Teenage Korra here, Adult Korra next season, Korra before she dies in the hopeful but unlikely third season?

We get to see an entire Avatar cycle in that regard. We've already seen Roku and Aang. It would be nice if a little sad to see Korra pass down the torch to the next Earth Kingdom Avatar.

What conflict are you talking about? I thought most of Amon's supporters were the extremists while the fringe ones just abandoned it once they found out he was lying.

well think about it in any world where people are separated into classes at birth usually there is conflict

look up the thread on google or just go to reddit

meh. Fandom. Life of its own.

I'll wait to hear from SDCC. Though I doubt there is anyway in hell Mike and/or Bryan would ever outright say it was planned. I bet they'll even dodge the Noatak-Tarlokk murder-suicide with some PR-written Legalese.

Yes but such conflict would've existed long before Korra got there. Things should probably return to status quo since Amon is gone. No need to focus on that unless a true uprising begins, but then again it would be redundant.

Ya your right but the 2nd season needs some sort of conflict

Yes and we'll see what the creators have in store for us. Hopefully come this July 13th in time for SDCC.

I don't recall but I believe the time between the first new of Legend of Korra and the actual premier was what...7, 8 months? Plenty of time for us fans to be at each others' throats again.

Here is a short Q&A Brian and Mike did answering fan questions:
https://www.facebook.com/legendofkorra/app_370811986306662

Carefully selected but interesting questions nonetheless. Having been to a couple of convention forums I always wanted to ask the hard questions, go all J'accuse on some writers or some such. When I get the microphone in hand I just choke and ask an easy safe question so that I won't be ostracized as a obsessive fanboy.

You know now that I think about it, the whole korra about to commit suicide may be true. I'm sure they could get away with it if they were subtle. One thing I noticed was the moment after she got her powers back and did not notice mako behind her, she did not seem excited..... she seemed relieved.

Whether the creators did things on purpose or not is not the important thing. I think they succeeded in that they got us all talking about it, and that's what great writing is supposed to do. It's easy to just show something outright, but to leave something up to speculation and interpretation so much so that people analyze and dissect every little part to support their beliefs/theories is even harder and better IMO.

If they were going for that than bravo they did do their job.

I really enjoyed the finale. There were a couple of points that I wasn't sure about but overall I thought it was done well.

I'm looking forward to seeing a season with a full fledged avatar for the first time.

Amon is the brother of Tarlokk, Sons of Yakone the Bloodbender. A character that we didn't expect.

I think most of us expected it. In fact, there was a big discussion about Tarlok and Amon being connected in some shape or form. To me, the reveal was pretty obvious. And I'm perfectly happy with it.

I think most of us expected it. In fact, there was a big discussion about Tarlok and Amon being connected in some shape or form. To me, the reveal was pretty obvious. And I'm perfectly happy with it.

Yes yes, its gratifying to be right, cue the "I told you so(s)":cwink:

But to be honest, after watching it the 3rd time it really hit me.

I liked Tarlokk as a sleazebag politician. I liked how he came off as a noir-type villain. Was a little upset when he went all desperate after he was undone by his own assistant but I again chalk that up to the length of the series.

I was half-worried we'd never see him again after episode 10. And now...Wow. Suddenly I'm not sure. Who was the weak one?

I think that people here are thinking about
the suicide too seriously, it's not the first time it happens, Star Wars: The Clone Wars is doing that many times, and evven shows the bodies, i already saw there a guy comiting suicide by falling from a building, people being stabed in the back, etc.

I'm glad Avatar: The Legend of Korra is doing these types of things, and i hope animation companies continue to let this happen.

I again chalk that up to the length of the series.

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. Legend of Korra, despite its greatness, was 8 episodes too short. There was not enough of Korra's training. Most of the supporting characters didn't get enough development. Tarlok went out WAY too quickly and easily. And, Amon's reveal/backstory could have spread to a few more episodes.

I think that people here are thinking about
the suicide too seriously, it's not the first time it happens, Star Wars: The Clone Wars is doing that many times, and evven shows the bodies, i already saw there a guy comiting suicide by falling from a building, people being stabed in the back, etc.

I'm glad Avatar: The Legend of Korra is doing these types of things, and i hope animation companies continue to let this happen.

True. But do they show it happening to a pair of brothers who were key to the entire plot? Nope. Legend of Korra hit virgin territory in that regard.

Hrmm...Maybe I'm getting a little defensive here.

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago. Legend of Korra, despite its greatness, was 8 episodes too short. There was not enough of Korra's training. Most of the supporting characters didn't get enough development. Tarlok went out WAY too quickly and easily. And, Amon's reveal/backstory could have spread to a few more episodes.

I disagree. I think there was 'enough' of both especially with training when compared to previous previous books but it would have been nice to see more with regard to support character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"