The Dark Knight Rises Batman 3: Where does the story go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked it, he turns the detonator on, tries to tell the scars story, gets owned, like RustyCage said.

Last edited:
Checked it, he turns the detonator on, tries to tell the scars story, getw owned, like RustyCage said.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I just looked at it as well and he gives the holy crap look after realizing that neither boat pushed the button. It's been awhile since I watched it haha.

Last edited:
You guys sayin' that the Gothamites would have blown each other up must have forgotten about this song.
They should have had everyone on top of the ferries waving candles in the air and singing it for the ending. :awesome:

You guys sayin' that the Gothamites would have blown each other up must have forgotten about this song.
They should have had everyone on top of the ferries waving candles in the air and singing it for the ending. :awesome:

You win. Time to close the thread. :bow: :woot:

Thats the only thing that stood between TDK and a best film nomination. :woot:

Then why question the existence of the ideologies at play there? :huh:

I questioned the comparison to the Cold War because it was only two parties having a disagreement, not a terrorist running around killing people and essentially pointing a gun at people's heads. The two situations aren't on the same terms.

I questioned the comparison to the Cold War because it was only two parties having a disagreement, not a terrorist running around killing people and essentially pointing a gun at people's heads. The two situations aren't on the same terms.

Well, I wasn't the one who made that comparison, so that's not what you and I were arguing about - unless you somehow thought otherwise. I don't know enough about the Cold War to even defend that point, so I was replying with points of my own that you were also arguing with. Dunno how that got mixed up, if it did.

Well, I wasn't the one who made that comparison, so that's not what you and I were arguing about - unless you somehow thought otherwise. I don't know enough about the Cold War to even defend that point, so I was replying with points of my own that you were also arguing with. Dunno how that got mixed up, if it did.

I think it did. :hehe:

GOTHAM CIDAAA! :word:

[There are two boats in Gotham Harbor, a yeoman approaches the captain]

YEOMAN: Sir, the whole boat is rigged to explode! And I found this! [displays a detonator]

[meanwhile, all the passangers are in the seating area, the intercom turns on]

JOKER: Greetings from the Joker. "Why so serious?" Anyway, we have a boat of civilians and a boat of prison inmates. I will blow up both boats at midnight.

MAN#1: Oh, my God!

JOKER: However, each boat has a detonator that will blow up the opposite boat. If one boat decides to blow up the other boat prior to midnight, I will not blow up the boat that blows up the other boat. It's quite the moral quandary, is it not?

MAN#2: Then let's vote on neither boat blowing up.

GIRL: No, he said we decide.

MAN#3: Then I decide that neither boat blows up!

CAPTAIN: Wait, wait...so, we vote?

WOMAN: No, we... we just press a button, I think.

MAN#4: I don't understand. What does this prove, exactly?

MAN#5: Uh, Mister Joker, sir? We came to a consensus: we vote that neither boat should blow up.

(passengers agree)

JOKER: That's not a choice!

MAN#5: Uh..uh, you better explain it again then, I guess.

JOKER: (sighs) I will blow up both the boats-

MAN#1: Oh my God!

JOKER: -unless, UNLESS, one boat blows up the other boat first.

MAN#5: Uh, w-what are the other options?

JOKER: There are no other options.

OLD LADY: Ask him when both boats blow up.

JOKER: MIDNIGHT! MIDNIGHT! MIDNIGHT!

CAPTAIN: Alright folks, that gives us a good 15 minutes. Everyone, into the lifeboats!

JOKER: No, no lifeboats! I said that you couldn't use them.

MAN#6: You never said that!

JOKER: I did, way back in the beginning.

MAN#5: You better go over the rules again.

[the Joker is clearly exhasperated]

JOKER: Oh, for H- it's a catch 22! Look, there are two boats. At midnight-

[Batman cuts him off by hitting him with a board.]

Yep. That's why I thought that, if we were going to get an Inception actor, I'd prefer Hardy to Levitt.

I mentioned months ago, that I had heard Nolan and Emma were more interested in Hardy being in Batman 3 ahead of the often rumored and over hyped JGL.

And of course it looks like that alleged casting sheet that showed JGL next the Riddler role as "interested" was all made up BS. :oldrazz:

The joker had two motives in TDK to corrupt Gotham and to make batman break his code.

Wouldn't he figure that a final confrontation with Harvey would either end with Harvey being killed by batman, or harvey living.
If harvey was killed by batman he would have made batman break his code, and if he let Harvey live Harvey would show that anyone could be corrupted.

Assume that Harvey survives the fall, it is never shown that his pulse is checked by batman or anyone else. They just assume. Then officers come to check him, he has a pulse, they could then be working for the joker and take away Harvey. After three weeks Harvey is assumed dead.

And Harvey could then be tormented further by being in solitary. He would then develop split personalities.

He could then be released after a certain period of time. Of course the golden boy of Gotham going on a rampage after a long time of mourning would be terrible for gotham.

It could make for an interesting story.

Batman will put the blame on whoever the villain is and redeem himself at the end of the film to the eyes of the public. That's my bold prediction.

Well, I've scribbled on and on around other threads about what MY ULTIMATE IDEA FOR BATMAN 3 is, so I'm gonna go the humble way and just talk about themes here.

If we follow the story from BB and TDK, and focus on well, Bruce, we see a few logical steps out there -

Movie 1 = Bruce constructing the 'Symbol' or 'Idea' of the Batman.
Movie 2 = Bruce dealing with being the 'Symbol' and what it means to maintain it, most notably a) the death of his loved one or "reprisals" from the enemy b) losing allies and all sense of normalcy c) facing the ultimate anti-thesis, or counter-Symbol to his own (I dont have to explain that do I?)

Movie 3 will therefore be about what happens when Symbols or Ideas are corrupted. From an ideological standpoint, this isn't new - every good idea ever envisioned has been corrupted down the line. That was the whole of the sermon: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." With the Batman persona now attracting more 'Freaks' than repelling them; the symbol of 'hope' deconstructed into an element of 'fear' even for those who were "fearful" or had to be saved. While Gotham is preserved knowing that the Batman is a dark entity guarding the nights, the message of hope is lost. The symbol is corrupted. And perhaps with the next antagonist this will be more so. Which leads me to what the next 'antagonist' will be:

Again, looking back at the 'trilogy' here's what I figure:
Batman Begins = Batman fighting Criminality (that's why there were multiple 'villains' throughout the acts, as opposed to one force of evil that's in the second film).
The Dark Knight = Batman fighting the ultimate Criminal (whether it's the Joker or Harvey Two-Face, a man on a moral and psychological, even tragic, lapse, is up to interpretation). And finally,
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman fighting Criminal-ism (he combats the notion of having becoming the thing he fought the most). If that isn't a true trilogy exploring themes of heroism, I don't know what is.

Of course, reading this you can probably say that these themes can be subtle and can be found in any given PLOT. That, I'm afraid, is another subject entirely. But I'm almost certain of two things: that the core of the plot will be inspired from Dark Knight Returns' last chapter (when Batman has become a "political liability"), with possible allusions to a new public 'savior' (it's hard to imagine what that would be since it's not Superman); and that it might end with Bruce Wayne's identity flushed out in public, his death announced, and Alfred blowing up the new Manor, all taken from the graphic novel. There are some additional issues that will need addressing - namely that both Mr. Reese and Det. Ramirez are aware of information that they shouldn't know.

Nolan might surprise me, but this sounds a lot like what we may be looking at right now. There won't be a "clean slate" like we're made to believe. Bruce never fought for the public's appreciation, the dark knight and all the guilt surrounding this 'fall' came from the deaths that he inadvertently caused through his life. It's redeeming himself from THAT GUILT, perhaps once again burying it in anger (or realizing it wouldn't be enough anymore), that becomes the center-piece of the story (or trilogy) and eventually gives us a definitive conclusion... one that doesn't equal an 'end'. Hence, The Dark Knight Rises from the pits of the Bat-cave, straight from Frank Miller's book.

Here's another worthy note about the Bat-cave that occurred to me: In TDK the 'bunker' cave in the city was demolished right? Alfred burned out all the evidence prior to the Joker's initial arrest, when Bruce was thinking about outing his identity. That one's out. The original Bat-cave remains undisturbed from BB for all we know, that's where we'll see most of this movie. That leaves the only other (known) base to be under Wayne Tech - the one controlled by Fox. Maybe the govt. will get rid of that instead of the actual cave? Who knows. Oh and, maybe this won't ever happen, but Harvey's coin, the Joker's card, the Scarecrow's mask, Ra's' gauntlets, Rachel's "gift" (finders keepers?) from the first film, Thomas Wayne's stethoscope, the original and secondary bat-suits, remnants of the tumbler, and the new and improved Bat Computer should be displayed in the batcave, perhaps as easters, but there for a reason nevertheless. AANNND, get Sarah Essen.

There, that pretty much says what I want from the new movie. What do you guys think? I really want to know your feedback on this. Thanks for reading.

The joker had two motives in TDK to corrupt Gotham and to make batman break his code.

Wouldn't he figure that a final confrontation with Harvey would either end with Harvey being killed by batman, or harvey living.
If harvey was killed by batman he would have made batman break his code, and if he let Harvey live Harvey would show that anyone could be corrupted.

Assume that Harvey survives the fall, it is never shown that his pulse is checked by batman or anyone else. They just assume. Then officers come to check him, he has a pulse, they could then be working for the joker and take away Harvey. After three weeks Harvey is assumed dead.

And Harvey could then be tormented further by being in solitary. He would then develop split personalities.

He could then be released after a certain period of time. Of course the golden boy of Gotham going on a rampage after a long time of mourning would be terrible for gotham.

It could make for an interesting story.

Actually not a bad idea. It's too bad Eckhart confirmed that he's not coming back. I was pretty bummed out about that.

At all Two-Face chance-takers: but didn't the filmmakers confirm over and over again that Harvey Dent really is dead? Let's not call all that b.s. just yet. The theories, however, are really good.

At all Two-Face chance-takers: but didn't the filmmakers confirm over and over again that Harvey Dent really is dead? Let's not call all that b.s. just yet. The theories, however, are really good.

Well, like I said, Eckhart himself said he will not be in the next movie. Unless he's lying for a big surprise, I doubt we'll be seeing Harvey or Two-Face again.

Of course, reading this you can probably say that these themes can be subtle and can be found in any given PLOT. That, I'm afraid, is another subject entirely.

That's actually a really good point.

There won't be a "clean slate" like we're made to believe. Bruce never fought for the public's appreciation, the dark knight and all the guilt surrounding this 'fall' came from the deaths that he inadvertently caused through his life. It's redeeming himself from THAT GUILT, perhaps once again burying it in anger (or realizing it wouldn't be enough anymore), that becomes the center-piece of the story (or trilogy) and eventually gives us a definitive conclusion... one that doesn't equal an 'end'. Hence, The Dark Knight Rises from the pits of the Bat-cave, straight from Frank Miller's book.
That would make perfect sense, though I have a bit of a suspicion that Batman will get something of a clean slate.
Oh and, maybe this won't ever happen, but Harvey's coin, the Joker's card, the Scarecrow's mask, Ra's' gauntlets, Rachel's "gift" (finders keepers?) from the first film, Thomas Wayne's stethoscope, the original and secondary bat-suits, remnants of the tumbler, and the new and improved Bat Computer should be displayed in the batcave, perhaps as easters, but there for a reason nevertheles.

In the Southeast corner.

Niiice.

While some of those are really nice, it also feels a bit too fanboyish in some aspects.

How would Batman get Ra's gauntlets and Harvey's coin? A Joker card, maybe. But why would he be keeping Scarecrow's mask? That one in particular sounds a bit daft to me. It would be like Clarice Starling keeping the knife Hannibal used to kill a victim. Why in the world would Batman want to put on display an image used to frighten and torture people? Just a little too fanboyish, me thinks. But you said there for a reason so if you have good reasons, let 'em rip.

But things like the bat-computer, Rachel's gift, the stethoscope, and the previous suits are good ideas.

While some of those are really nice, it also feels a bit too fanboyish in some aspects.

How would Batman get Ra's gauntlets and Harvey's coin? A Joker card, maybe. But why would he be keeping Scarecrow's mask? That one in particular sounds a bit daft to me. It would be like Clarice Starling keeping the knife Hannibal used to kill a victim. Why in the world would Batman want to put on display an image used to frighten and torture people? Just a little too fanboyish, me thinks. But you said there for a reason so if you have good reasons, let 'em rip.

But things like the bat-computer, Rachel's gift, the stethoscope, and the previous suits are good ideas.

Why does he do it in the books? I suspect he does it just as a reminder of what he never wants to become, which is as crazy as those he locks up. Though some argue he already is.

I'm not sure about the new re-tellings, I'm only a bit familar with the renditions from the 40s and it involved the giant penny being presented to Batman by a villain called the penny Plunderer who stole pennies from Gotham banks. I think he tied Batman to the penny because "it was all Batman's worth." When Batman defeated him he then put the penny in the batcave. The Dinosaur is also similar. Batman got the defunct dino from the Dinosaur Island amusement park.

Usually, Batman only has a few small things from his villains in the batcave. Most of it is memorabilia like costumes, some kryptonite to fight Superman, test tubes, beakers, and a large area to condust experiments, crime lab, the advanced computer, a few batmobiles, batwing, pictures of his various partners, and of course the giant penny and T-Rex. But he does have a few things from villains such as Deathstroke's sword, and in TAS he keeps Freeze's gun. So it's not too out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"