BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it was not panned; imovie, especially to kids and families, which is why it's suffering (relatively speaking). Considering all of this, a take-in of $700,000,000 after a mere ten days is pretty good. Over the next month, I can see it raking in another $200,000,000 and then even more when the director's cut is released.

Wrong on both accounts.

No, it was not panned; it received mediocre/ average scores. It seems as if it was panned because of its low score on Rotten Tomatoes, but that score only indicates that most critics gave it a "rotten" score, which simply means that most critics didn't rate it highly and not necessarily that they rated it lowly; a lot of critics gave it 5/10 or 6/10 or five-point scale equivalents. The film is considered average and not bad. You guys are blowing its supposed bad reception out of the water; you're having a field day trashing this movie. It's as if you all get joy out of this, which isn't surprising given that some of you have avatars featuring Marvel characters.

Anyhow, the film hasn't been as greatly received as Marvel films because it's not lighthearted and comedic but is drab, dreary, and depressed. However, these differences don't make it a bad movie but make it an unappealing movie, especially to kids and families, which is why it's suffering (relatively speaking). Considering all of this, a take-in of $700,000,000 after a mere ten days is pretty good. Over the next month, I can see it raking in another $200,000,000 and then even more when the director's cut is released.

Considering that this is only the second film in the DCCU, WB is off to a good start. Compared to where Marvel was at this point, they're doing great. I'm not going to bother replying to you guys any further because you're all overly negative; if this film were to hit $ 1billion, you'd all still call it a failure and say that it should have earned $1.5 billion.
Yes I'm a Marvel shill posing as a DC fan. Superman isn't my favorite superhero of all time. I wasn't hyped up by Man of Steel and really liked Henry as Superman and Amy as Lois Lane. I wasn't hyped up for the first cinematic appearance of Batman and Superman on the same screen and Wonder Woman herself. I'm just a Marvel shill, not a DC fan who also like Marvel properties.

Considering that this is only the second film in the DCCU, WB is off to a good start. Compared to where Marvel was at this point, they're doing great. I'm not going to bother replying to you guys any further because you're all overly negative; if this film were to hit $ 1billion, you'd all still call it a failure and say that it should have earned $1.5 billion.

Comparing to where Marvel was at their second movie is not a relevant comparison since Marvel didn't own the rights to any of their biggest characters at that time. They had to go to characters that the GA pretty much hadn't heard about, save for the Hulk.

BvS was bringing together the three biggest characters DC has, and two of them are very widely known to the GA. And this is also after the Avengers have increased the appetite for these kinds of movies where known characters join up in shared universes. There's no way to look at that and expect anywhere remotely similar results for BvS as for the MCU at the time TIH was released.

As for what it should have made many, fans on this board were more optimistic than just crawling past the $1 billion line so that's not something that's just invented by those that didn't like the movie now.

Wrong on both accounts.

No. You are wrong. Metacritic's rating system makes it easier to understand that the film has not been panned but has received average scores. The film currently has a metacritic score of 44 and according to Metacritic, scores that range from 40 to 60 indicate "Mixed or Average Reviews."

Batman v Superman Metascore

Explanation of Metascores

Hence, the film has NOT been panned, contrary to what you so desperately want to be true.

Anyhow, the film hasn't been as greatly received as Marvel films because it's not lighthearted and comedic but is drab, dreary, and depressed. However, these differences don't make it a bad movie but make it an unappealing movie, especially to kids and families, which is why it's suffering (relatively speaking). Considering all of this, a take-in of $700,000,000 after a mere ten days is pretty good. Over the next month, I can see it raking in another $200,000,000 and then even more when the director's cut is released.

Does anyone on this thread even know what a front loaded film is anymore. :dry:

Here's a definition for those that don't know what front-loading is:

What is front-loading?

Front-loading is when a movie's audience turns out in droves to see the film on its opening weekend - or even its opening day - but does not sustain a high level of interest.

By definition, movies that are front loaded will have a low internal multiplier, with more people seeing the movie at midnight shows and on Friday than over the rest of the weekend. They will also have a low delist multiplier, as audiences lose interest in the movie after its opening weekend, making them profitable post-adjust shorts.

The types of movie that tend to be front-loaded include:
  • sequels, prequels and other franchise movies
  • movies that have a GFB fan-base
  • movies aimed at teenage audiences
  • horror movies
  • Tyler Perry movies

Movies aimed at adult audiences and children tend not to be front-loaded.

Obviously these are indicators about what to expect, not rules. There are plenty of sequels and franchise movies that sustain fan interest beyond the opening Friday night and delists above adjust price - say, when a movie has very positive word of mouth, or it breaks out from its target audience to attract other demographics.

To get an idea of whether a particular movie is front-loaded, you can look at a range of factors, such as:
  • comparing the movie's opening Friday and Saturday box office figures. If a movie has a lower Saturday than Friday - once midnights are factored out - it is likely to be front-loaded
  • comparing the movie's Monday box office to its opening weekend box office. The average Monday gross is about 10-11% of the weekend figure.
  • comparing the movie's second weekend box office gross with that of its opening weekend. The average second weekend of box office is about 40-45% lower than opening weekend.
You can also compare the movie's second Friday with its first Friday - the average drop is about 35%

These numbers are all guidelines, and not hard rules, and you should take other factors into account such as the movie's genre and target audience. For example, some movies - particularly movies aimed at children - are far more popular to see on weekends than during the week, and can suffer very steep drops on Monday without being front-loaded.

You can also look at other non-box office factors, such as:
  • the film's Cinemascore rating, which indicates how well the movie was received by its target audience. Anything B+ or under is not good. There is more information on Cinemascore in this column
  • the film's ratings on rottentomatoes.com, including the Tomatometer which gives a summary of how well the movie was received by critics, and the Flixster audience rating. These ratings are also available through Flixster
  • how similar movies have performed on opening weekend and the next three weeks of release

http://hsxsanity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/what-is-front-loading.html

Mjölnir;33362433 said:
Comparing to where Marvel was at their second movie is not a relevant comparison since Marvel didn't own the rights to any of their biggest characters at that time. They had to go to characters that the GA pretty much hadn't heard about, save for the Hulk.

BvS was bringing together the three biggest characters DC has, and two of them are very widely known to the GA. And this is also after the Avengers have increased the appetite for these kinds of movies where known characters join up in shared universes. There's no way to look at that and expect anywhere remotely similar results for BvS as for the MCU at the time TIH was released.

As for what it should have made many, fans on this board were more optimistic than just crawling past the $1 billion line so that's not something that's just invented by those that didn't like the movie now.

Agreed. Actually, from what can be seen in the past BO threads, there are a lot of " 1 Billion is the floor for this movie" posts.

Hence, the film has NOT been panned, contrary to what you so desperately want to be true.

RT critics: 29%

RT audience: dropped down to 70% over the weekend (actual percentage without pre-release votes closer to 40%)

Cinemascore B (equal to Catwoman and Green Lantern)

Twitter response 3:1 positive to negative ratio (low average for movie with positive response is 15:1)

Near 70% drop second weekend box office

Yes, BvS has been panned. It's sucks. We didn't want that. But it's the reality we live in.

RT audience: dropped down to 70% over the weekend (actual percentage without pre-release votes closer to 40%)

Twitter response 3:1 positive to negative ratio (low average for movie with positive response is 15:1)

Yes, BvS has been panned. It's sucks. We didn't want that. But it's the reality we live in.

This. Also, it's funny how he didn't address the part about the box office. ;)

I will disregard the Twitter-response statistic because it is unverifiable as far as I know. In regard to the Rotten Tomatoes score, you obviously did not read my post clearly, because I explained what it actually reflects, which is the percentage of critics who gave it a "fresh" score and not its actual average score; most critics gave it average/ mediocre scores such as 5/10 or 6/10 or five-point scale equivalents. I will not bother responding to any "rebuttal" of this fact any further; the film has not been panned. As for your claim that its actual audience reception is closer to 40%, please provide a source; otherwise, it means nothing.

Add that RT average score of 5/10 is lower that ****ing Daredevil

It's doing big numbers considering the toxic reviews and word of mouth, riding solely on the popularity of the characters, but it's underperforming big time.

Add that RT average score of 5/10 is lower that ****ing Daredevil

It's doing big numbers considering the toxic reviews and word of mouth, riding solely on the popularity of the characters, but it's underperforming big time.

When did a 5/10 rating all of a sudden mean a good thing? I swear people will shift the goal posts to add validity to any claim as long as it means they're not wrong. This movie, ANY movie, getting a 5/10 average rating is terrible. There's a reason RT needs 60% approval to give a fresh rating. 60% is the bottom barrel, baseline. This movie is HALF of that.

And agree on your last statement. This movie is making money IN SPITE OF itself. Just proves the popularity of the characters.

No. You are wrong. Metacritic's rating system makes it easier to understand that the film has not been panned but has received average scores. The film currently has a metacritic score of 44 and according to Metacritic, scores that range from 40 to 60 indicate "Mixed or Average Reviews."

Batman v Superman Metascore

Explanation of Metascores

If Bvs doesn't fit the definition of panned, then I'd love to know what movies do.

...anything that doesn't back up your opinion. Got it. Getting back to box office.

Are the weekend actuals in yet?

Very immature response. I can easily verify (or disprove) what you've said in regard to Rotten Tomatoes. However, how can I verify your claim regarding the ratio of positive Tweets to negative Tweets regarding the movie? Is there a study or poll that I'm not aware of? It's your responsibility to cite sources for your claims. Why should I just believe you?

Very immature response. I can easily verify (or disprove) what you've said in regard to Rotten Tomatoes. However, how can I verify your claim regarding the ratio of positive Tweets to negative Tweets regarding the movie? Is there a study or poll that I'm not aware of? It's your responsibility to cite sources for your claims. Why should I just believe you?

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/man-of-steel-2-2015

Twitter index tab.

If Bvs doesn't fit the definition of panned, then I'd love to know what movies do.

Your subjective response is invalid. Do you have a logical argument to refute mine? I clearly explained that most critics actually gave it an average score and not a poor one, yet you stick to the idea that it's been panned. It's Metatcritic score indicates such. The fact of the matter is that BvS is a movie that has been received neutrally as a whole.

I can't bother to continue responding to such subjective posts that don't abide by the decorum of an objective discussion. I will have to ignore you if you reply in this manner again. I'm trying to have a mature discussion characterized by the use of logic and reasoning, yet you and others don't want to do so. You and others assert baseless statistics and "refute" logically presented arguments with opinions. Why should I take the likes of you seriously?

When did a 5/10 rating all of a sudden mean a good thing? I swear people will shift the goal posts to add validity to any claim as long as it means they're not wrong. This movie, ANY movie, getting a 5/10 average rating is terrible. There's a reason RT needs 60% approval to give a fresh rating. 60% is the bottom barrel, baseline. This movie is HALF of that.

And agree on your last statement. This movie is making money IN SPITE OF itself. Just proves the popularity of the characters.
It is terrible. I couldn't find movies with scores lower than 3/10, usually the worst regarded are around 4/10, 5/10.

BTW, weekend actuals usually come 12 PM PST, right? Should we bet that they will be lower than reported? (I will, but I don't expect them below $50M)

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=33327225&highlight=#post33327225

image.png

So do you have a source to back up your claim that BvS wasn't as greatly received as Marvel films because it wasn't lighthearted and comedic?

TDK and TDKR made over a billion each (without 3D), and were well received by critics and fans, so your statement does seem to lack credibility. Clearly BvS should be able to do well at the BO even with a darker tone.

The fact that BvS bombed in China during its 2nd week box office run...

Really hope that doesn't sully the reputation of future DC films releasing in China and prevent their box offices from scoring big their.

Is there a study or poll that I'm not aware of? It's your responsibility to cite sources for your claims. Why should I just believe you?

Yes, the data is publicly available for all to see. Start here (at Twitter Index: http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/man-of-steel-2-2015)

No, it's your job when jumping into a conversation that has been going on for weeks to come in with informed and educated responses supported by data. You will find this exact argument of yours disproven about a dozen times already in the past 80 pages of this particular thread.

No, you shouldn't just believe me. You should do your own research before making claims. There's a reason no one here has backed your claims up. We've been over this before.

And being that this is a BOX OFFICE thread coming in here NOT to talk box office but instead to outright bash Marvel movies and the users who like Marvel movies is the wrong way to jump into a convo. The Mods have repeated ad naseum that behavior will get you gigged up. You should educate yourself to the rules of a thread before jumping in with such an aggressive and confrontational message.

I appreciate your provision of a source for the other user's claim. Now, having examined the source, it says that the latest ratio of positive to negative Tweets is 2:1, which indicates that there are twice as many people who like the movie as there are people who dislike it. Perhaps I'm not interpreting the statistic correctly, but how is that a bad thing? That indicates that 66.6% of people like it and 33.3% of people don't; in other words, the film is divisive, which is what an average movie is.

Someone is in denial. And he still refuses talking about the box office. :)

Funny, for a panned movie, everyone in the GA that I know liked the film. The showings I've been to have enjoyed it.

You might think it's panned, and maybe it is critically and online, but that's a limited scope to judge with. Online date reflects only a fraction of viewers.

Your subjective response is invalid. Do you have a logical argument to refute mine? I clearly explained that most critics actually gave it an average score and not a poor one, yet you stick to the idea that it's been panned. It's Metatcritic score indicates such. The fact of the matter is that BvS is a movie that has been received neutrally as a whole.

I can't bother to continue responding to such subjective posts that don't abide by the decorum of an objective discussion. I will have to ignore you if you reply in this manner again. I'm trying to have a mature discussion characterized by the use of logic and reasoning, yet you and others don't want to do so. You and others assert baseless statistics and "refute" logically presented arguments with opinions. Why should I take the likes of you seriously?

Theres nothing neutral about BvS response. So the response to last Transformers movie was neutral too yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"